• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Sickness in the Left

coyotedelmar

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Happened to catch the live discussion of this last night and thought it was pretty interesting discussion on liberalism/progressives/the left and the focus on identity politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1UMTTODy-s (left a link as, at least for me, tapatalk and videos can be iffy).

I know, I know YouTube video, and it isn't heavily researched but still thought it could make a decent discussion. It is over 2 hours long, all audio so you can do other things while listening at least but don't expect a lot of people to go through listening the whole thing. Also if you clicked here to see something about the left is bad, or how the right is awesome and the left is terrible (etc.), save yourself the time. It's liberals talking about the left, so doubt you'd like it much (not that you can't listen to it, but figured warn ahead of time).

Basically it's mainly about how the "classical liberal left," is being lost in favor of progressives and their focus more on one size fits all policy, and lacking focus on the working class person. If I recall it gets into an argument how increasing focus on social justice (etc.) puts off the working class person because they don't give a ****. It jumps around to other things as well, but seems the main focus.

Obviously, being the person posting it I agree a fair bit with what is being said. Thought it could be something people find interesting and maybe could be debatable. Does the left seem to be getting too focused on things like race and gender then issues effecting the working class, and is it hurting the party? Is there a bigger focus on creating equal outcome instead of discussing and trying ways to create equal opportunity? Among other things discussed that could be brought up.

Back
Top Bottom