• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The "Shooter" Drill

There is a line between planning for things your home or workplace (you know where you spend most of your time) and planning for an event that 99.999999999% repeating will not happen, everywhere you go. That line is called paranoia and you crossed it.

There's a rather gaping difference between paranoia and situational awareness. Have you ever run into one of those people immediately stop and reach for their phone when it rings thus causing anyone in their path to have to stop or otherwise avoid them? That person is entirely situationally unaware and they are as much a danger to everyone else as they are to themselves. How about people who just change lanes without ever looking? Same deal.

A situaltionally aware person is constantly paying attention to their surroundings and thinking of ways to avoid issues that might come up. It isn't paranoia at all.

Sorry I hit send and didnt mean too.

The "mission impossible" tactic is if you are hiding and waiting on police...use some "broken glass" on the floor to let you know if someone opens the door. I had a buddy who put BBs in a beer can and set it on his door knob at night. He lived in a bad area and people picked the college apartments to steal from...shocker.

There is a line between planning for things your home or workplace (you know where you spend most of your time) and planning for an event that 99.999999999% repeating will not happen, everywhere you go. That line is called paranoia and you crossed it.
I guess if one of the teachers at Sandy Hook had practiced internal scenario visualization techniques (that's what it is called) and they had stopped the shooter then they would have been a paranoid idiot huh? Good job Stonewall. We in L.E. recommend it to victims all the time.

Oh, me too!!! Why, as I'm sitting here, I'm thinking: What if somebody broke down my front door right now??!!!!

I'd reach for my hot coffee; throw it in his face; grab the lamp, pull the cord from the wall, pitch it at his head; or, better, if he was slightly incapacitated from the coffee, I'd beat him over the head with it a half-dozen times; run for the nightstand to grab my .38; close the bedroom door behind me; pull the little orange thingie that sits between the bullets and the firing pin; load my gun; take the safety off; yell through the door that if I saw his ugly face in the doorway I'd blow his ****ing head off; use the bedroom phone to call 911 and pray they got there before I had a heart attack.

My scenerios don't often end well.

I'm wandering what .38 revolver has a safety. :thinking

I'm wandering what .38 revolver has a safety. :thinking

Gosh, I think it's a .38 . . . actually, it has a trigger lock. No safety. Does that make a difference? But I haven't shot it in a while, and I'm not even sure it's a .38 now. The barrel is longer than the photos I pulled up on the internet. I know it shoots .38's and .38 specials -- I seem to remember it could use another caliber bullet. Jesus. Time to go to the gun shop.

Gosh, I think it's a .38 . . . actually, it has a trigger lock. No safety. Does that make a difference? But I haven't shot it in a while, and I'm not even sure it's a .38 now. The barrel is longer than the photos I pulled up on the internet. I know it shoots .38's and .38 specials -- I seem to remember it could use another caliber bullet. Jesus. Time to go to the gun shop.

38 SPecials can shoot two cartridges-

38 special and the rare 38 short colt (which I recently got to use in a 357 revolver for steel shooting since the shorter shells are faster to reload into the revolver)

almost no one but serious steel shooters use 38 SC.

if you have a 357 38 specials work in it and indeed some 357s are designed mainly to use 38 specials which are less abusive to the gun. An example is the old K frame SW 19 which was designed to mainly shoot 38s with the 357 every once in a while

38 SPecials can shoot two cartridges-

38 special and the rare 38 short colt (which I recently got to use in a 357 revolver for steel shooting since the shorter shells are faster to reload into the revolver)

almost no one but serious steel shooters use 38 SC.

if you have a 357 38 specials work in it and indeed some 357s are designed mainly to use 38 specials which are less abusive to the gun. An example is the old K frame SW 19 which was designed to mainly shoot 38s with the 357 every once in a while

Thanks, Turtle. I just confirmed it's a 38 special. That's pathetic. ("That" being "I'm") ;)

Thanks, Turtle. I just confirmed it's a 38 special. That's pathetic. ("That" being "I'm") ;)

well in all fairness there really are no other standard cartridges you would want to shoot in a 38 special other than

38 Special

the good news is that there are dozens upon dozens of such cartridges available from mild "wadcutter" target loads to really good self defense loads like the Hornady 110 Grain critical defense round which I use in my 38 carry piece

usual night in the turtle house. I am upstairs in my office with the TV on and playing or working on the computer. In my desk is a beretta 92 and four magazines. The next room down the hall is my son's. There is an electronic gun safe that has one of my Colt M4 carbines and three mags. Mrs Turtle and Junior Turtle are downstairs in the living room. The dogs bark if anyone gets within 50 meters of the house. In the closet with a combination lock that is instantly accessible behind our bedroom is a mossberg shotgun that is loaded and ready to go. Under the bed is a Glock 19 in an instant access combination safe. In my nightstand drawer is my carry piece that I put in the drawer when I come home.

if the dogs start barking we investigate. We have yet to have anything more serious than a coyote

when we sleep, my wife and I are downstairs. She sleeps with ear plugs. I do not. Jr is upstairs. If I hear the dogs barking I retrieve the glock if its the type of barking that indicates an intruder (rather than a potty break bark). Junior-- if the alarm goes off he knows to take cover behind that safe in his room with his 20G shotgun covering the entrance. he can easily hear someone come up the stairs. The minute he hears someone he is to warn them that he will shoot if they reach the top of the stairs. If they are a police officer to stay put until I tell him to stand down.

We live rural and remote, but we have nine dogs--plenty of time to get the guns if anyone is stupid enough to keep on coming..:naughty

We live rural and remote, but we have nine dogs--plenty of time to get the guns if anyone is stupid enough to keep on coming..:naughty

we have two. we spent the last two days working on tactics at a top training facility staffed by guys who routinely "win" "force on force" competitions with other LEO trainers

we have two. we spent the last two days working on tactics at a top training facility staffed by guys who routinely "win" "force on force" competitions with other LEO trainers

Sounds like fun...Was this for you or the dogs or both. :mrgreen: I went through similar training back in 2001....What breed of dogs do you have?

I guess if one of the teachers at Sandy Hook had practiced internal scenario visualization techniques (that's what it is called) and they had stopped the shooter then they would have been a paranoid idiot huh? Good job Stonewall. We in L.E. recommend it to victims all the time.

A school is one of the places where code red drills need to be done with staff and students. In other cases I would say it is overly cautious as well you never here about those massive hospital shootings now do you whereas with schools it is a bit more common.

A school is one of the places where code red drills need to be done with staff and students. In other cases I would say it is overly cautious as well you never here about those massive hospital shootings now do you whereas with schools it is a bit more common.

So, you're going to wait for it to happen in a hospital, before you so something?

So, you're going to wait for it to happen in a hospital, before you so something?

No what I am saying is a shooting is almost never going to happen to you and even when it does it's usually in a school or other type of building not a hospital. It also makes no sense to shoot up a hospital anyways.

No what I am saying is a shooting is almost never going to happen to you and even when it does it's usually in a school or other type of building not a hospital. It also makes no sense to shoot up a hospital anyways.

It doesn't make sense to shoot up a school house, or a picture show, either! LOL!!!

Let me guess: if a hospital gets shot up, we'll know you were wrong. Right?

I guess the Fort Hood shooting doesn't count, since it's not a..."hospital"...just a clinic. I know how you people like to split hairs.

It doesn't make sense to shoot up a school house, or a picture show, either! LOL!!!

Let me guess: if a hospital gets shot up, we'll know you were wrong. Right?

I guess the Fort Hood shooting doesn't count, since it's not a..."hospital"...just a clinic. I know how you people like to split hairs.

If you look at no it doesn't make sense, mainly the goal of an insane shooter is to kill as many people as possible a school and movie theaters are perfect as there are large concentrations of people in one room but a hospital outside of the lobby does not.

If you look at no it doesn't make sense, mainly the goal of an insane shooter is to kill as many people as possible a school and movie theaters are perfect as there are large concentrations of people in one room but a hospital outside of the lobby does not.

Let's stop acting as if these goofballs think rationally. Please?

Let's stop acting as if these goofballs think rationally. Please?

They might not think rationally but most of the time they try to kill as many as people as possible.

Sounds like fun...Was this for you or the dogs or both. :mrgreen: I went through similar training back in 2001....What breed of dogs do you have?

this was firearms training

English Setters

Because it will never happen right? Great mentality. Really good for security. Go ahead and google it. What about cafeterias? Never happen? Movie theatre? The only limit on potential targets are human minds.

They might not think rationally but most of the time they try to kill as many as people as possible.

They try to kill. That's all that matters. Location doesn't matter. They want the path of least resistance. And following your logic...a hospital is a great target.

Because shootings never happen at Hospitals, theaters, malls, or even bowling alleys.

You can't win this debate with me. I've been dealing with this stuff most of my adult life. We (Law Enforcement) love it when law abiding Citizens are prepared for bad situations. This is the type of stuff we love to hear. Cops are janitors, meaning we're usually only there to clean up the mess after the crime has been committed. Everything isn't mass shootings. Standing at the ATM getting cash and a POS walks up to rob you. You probably think that you'll just give them your money because it isn't worth your life but in 38% of ATM robberies the victims are shot, stabbed or beaten after they cooperate. You should scenario for every location you would ever go. Or just keep your head in the sand, your choice but I wouldn't call someone "overly cautious" or paranoid because they prepare because it's been my experience that they are the ones who survive these situations.

Back
Top Bottom