• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The science of vibes

EnigmaO01

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Sometimes a person, creature, or thing really resonates with you. That sense of “vibing” may be more than a figure of speech, it turns out.

In a Dec. 5 post in Scientific American entitled “The Hippies Were Right: It’s All About Vibrations, Man!” lawyer and philosopher Tam Hunt explains a new theory of consciousness he developed with his colleague, psychologist Jonathan Schooler, at the University of California at Santa Barbara. Hunt is a philosopher of mind, biology, and physics, while Schooler is a professor of brain science, and together they’ve been working on answering one of the world’s most perplexing questions: “What physical processes underpin mental experience, linking mind and matter and creating the sense of self?”

Snip...

https://qz.com/1490276/the-science-of-vibes-shows-how-everything-is-connected/

Thoughts?

Sometimes a person, creature, or thing really resonates with you. That sense of “vibing” may be more than a figure of speech, it turns out.

In a Dec. 5 post in Scientific American entitled “The Hippies Were Right: It’s All About Vibrations, Man!” lawyer and philosopher Tam Hunt explains a new theory of consciousness he developed with his colleague, psychologist Jonathan Schooler, at the University of California at Santa Barbara. Hunt is a philosopher of mind, biology, and physics, while Schooler is a professor of brain science, and together they’ve been working on answering one of the world’s most perplexing questions: “What physical processes underpin mental experience, linking mind and matter and creating the sense of self?”

Snip...

Thoughts?

I am been interested that both Jordan Peterson and Paglia basically say now that those who can comprehend reality musically are the ones who can access the highest hierarchies. THis is not exactly a shock to this guy who demanded that all three kids learn at least one instrument, but it does not get talked about all that much.

I never knew this till last week but I saw a youtube where Bill Hicks said that his secret sauce is the timing, he said that he does "jazz talk".

Snip...

Thoughts?

Sounds like they need to actually work on the idea instead of just guessing.

There is no topic I find more interesting than the “hard problem of consciousness”. How do physical brain processes result in non physical, subjective experience? There really has been no progress on this issue. I have heard numerous plausible hypotheses for how our universe came into existence or how life evolved from nonlife. Hell, I have even heard some methods for time travel that might be theoretically possible even if not practically possible. I have yet to hear any explanation for the hard problem of consciousness that sounds possible even in theory. It’s mind boggling in the same way quantum entanglement is mind boggling.

Assuming we live long enough as a species, I think a day will come that we can map the brain down to the atom and understand what every single neuron does. Brain imaging will be so robust that we will be able to read people’s mind and predict their choices before they are consciously aware of them. And on that day when we completely understand every physical aspect and process of the brain, my gut tells me we still won’t have the answer to the hard problem. But I am all for trying to figure it out regardless.

There is no topic I find more interesting than the “hard problem of consciousness”. How do physical brain processes result in non physical, subjective experience? There really has been no progress on this issue. I have heard numerous plausible hypotheses for how our universe came into existence or how life evolved from nonlife. Hell, I have even heard some methods for time travel that might be theoretically possible even if not practically possible. I have yet to hear any explanation for the hard problem of consciousness that sounds possible even in theory. It’s mind boggling in the same way quantum entanglement is mind boggling.

Assuming we live long enough as a species, I think a day will come that we can map the brain down to the atom and understand what every single neuron does. Brain imaging will be so robust that we will be able to read people’s mind and predict their choices before they are consciously aware of them. And on that day when we completely understand every physical aspect and process of the brain, my gut tells me we still won’t have the answer to the hard problem. But I am all for trying to figure it out regardless.

I am all for figuring things out, but my BS detector goes off when people put the cart before the horse. These guys sound more like new agers than scientists. If you read the article and all of its links some big alarms should be going off.

At best this thread belongs in the Philosophy forum, but I think it would be more appropriate in just, beliefs and skepticism. I say this because when you boil down the claims made in the OP article it turns out to be nothing more than Panpsychism

Back
Top Bottom