• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Ruling Striking Down Obamacare Is a Disaster for Republicans

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
So, this got awkward for the GOP.

They just suffered the largest midterm beat-down of all time after the Dems built their campaign around health care. Many in the GOP wisely tacked hard Dem-ward during the campaign, pretending to be ardent protectors of the ACA's pre-existing condition protections.

But the GOP had set a ticking timebomb for itself, as they had already argued in court that those protections had to be thrown out. (Luckily for them, their buddy down in Texas sat on his ruling until the midterms were safely in the rearview mirror! One shudders to think what would've happened to them in the midterms if their efforts had borne fruit before the vote.)

And now that bomb has exploded. Which means the GOP might have to, uh oh, talk about health care again. Which is most assuredly not a good look for them.

Trump routinely promises vague improvements to healthcare. But in practice, his administration has worked to sabotage the Obamacare markets so fewer people would sign up for insurance, part of a long effort by the GOP to chip away at the law's regime through lawsuits, legislative tweaks, and executive branch action. Even so, last year's effort to repeal the whole thing foundered in the Senate and was unpopular with the public to boot.

Since then, Republican positions in the healthcare debate have been murky at best, and fraudulent at worst. During the midterm elections, Democrats largely ran on healthcare, making preservation of the law and the millions of people it had helped a top campaign issue. Meanwhile, Republicans insisted they were for the popular parts of the ACA, preexisting condition protections in particular, even as they supported efforts to weaken or eliminate those same protections. They say they want to end Obamacare, but haven't been able to come to terms, at least in public, about what that end would mean.
Whether they admit it or not, some Republicans were likely hoping for the Texas court ruling to be reversed quickly and definitively. If the Affordable Care Act is disrupted and Congress has to fix the system, it will force a protracted a public debate where all of the GOP's unpopular ideas about healthcare are front and center. And if they decided to pass legislation restoring Obamacare's provisions, they'd be admitting to themselves and the country that they never had anything to replace the law with.

You might think with so much bad news about the president's henchmen facing prison time these days that the GOP would welcome an actual policy debate. But if the national conversation becomes all about conservatives' healthcare plans, they may start wishing people would go back to asking whether their president is is a criminal.

I don’t think the ruling will stand. Even most of the experts who oppose the ACA seem to be of the opinion that this particular ruling is legally problematic.

I don’t think the ruling will stand. Even most of the experts who oppose the ACA seem to be of the opinion that this particular ruling is legally problematic.

I agree. Even if it does stand, it will be months, if not years, before it has any effect.

Meanwhile, Trump has promised a new and better health care bill. Sure.

The main problem is that we have already far more very serious problems than we can manage, and healthcare which is still as broken as it has long been and is bankrupting the nation has been over the last years sucking up far too much of our brain space for no pay-off.....we dont have time for this right now.

We cant fix healthcare till we fix Washington, thus all time spent on it now takes away from a higher priority.

The courts forcing is into this now it recklessness...they had their time to speak years ago....and mostly refused to do so responsibly.

They just suffered the largest midterm beat-down of all time after the Dems built their campaign around health care. Many in the GOP wisely tacked hard Dem-ward during the campaign, pretending to be ardent protectors of the ACA's pre-existing condition protections.

But the GOP had set a ticking timebomb for itself, as they had already argued in court that those protections had to be thrown out. (Luckily for them, their buddy down in Texas sat on his ruling until the midterms were safely in the rearview mirror! One shudders to think what would've happened to them in the midterms if their efforts had borne fruit before the vote.)

And now that bomb has exploded. Which means the GOP might have to, uh oh, talk about health care again. Which is most assuredly not a good look for them.

shrug...

Assuming this beatdown of Obamacare survives the Supremes, the only place we'll be is where the House will present some nonsense and the Senate will shoot it down.

Keep in mind that we won't have a number of lying GOP Elites around to screw things up.

shrug...

Assuming this beatdown of Obamacare survives the Supremes, the only place we'll be is where the House will present some nonsense and the Senate will shoot it down.

Keep in mind that we won't have a number of lying GOP Elites around to screw things up.

^^^Someone who doesn't think donny trump is a "lying GOP Elite".:lamo:roll:

But the GOP had set a ticking timebomb for itself, as they had already argued in court that those protections had to be thrown out. (Luckily for them, their buddy down in Texas sat on his ruling until the midterms were safely in the rearview mirror! One shudders to think what would've happened to them in the midterms if their efforts had borne fruit before the vote.) ,

Uh, just a quick point - the Dems lost 63 seats in the House and several in the Senate during the 2010 mid-terms. That's a much bigger beat down. Axios attempts to nationalize the total vote is pure idiocy.

^^^Someone who doesn't think donny trump is a "lying GOP Elite".:lamo:roll:

That's right. Trump isn't.

Now McCain...Flake...others...those are the lying GOP Elites I'm talking about. You know...Congressmen.

(we ARE talking about what Congress will do, you know...the House...the Senate)

Uh, just a quick point - the Dems lost 63 seats in the House and several in the Senate during the 2010 mid-terms. That's a much bigger beat down. Axios attempts to nationalize the total vote is pure idiocy.

When you consider that the Democrats had a super-majority entering that election, it's really not. The Democrats won a lot of seats in 2008 that they never would have won if not for the utter disaster of Bush's second term. Those were seats they were predestined to lose.

Now McCain...Flake...others...those are the lying GOP Elites I'm talking about. You know...Congressmen.

John McCain is dead and Jeff Flake is on his way out of office, and Donald Trump lied more last week than either of those two guys have in their entire lives.

Why are you so obsessed with defending this piece of shit?

Well guess what? After eight years of watching the Clown Car spew its guts out with elephant flavored clown entrails, Americans appear to have decided that maybe they overreached, and the correction of 2018 is now almost certainly guaranteed to carry over into 2020 like the mother of all bombs. That Texas judge has just loosed utter destruction upon the land of Trump.

You were 100% wrong about these last mid-terms, but as usual, not only do you not remember your wrong predictions, you're hoping no one else does either.

Surprise!!

John McCain is dead and Jeff Flake is on his way out of office, and Donald Trump lied more last week than either of those two guys have in their entire lives.

Why are you so obsessed with defending this piece of shit?

Why are you obsessing over "this piece of ****" in a thread about Congress and what happens after Obamacare is tossed in the trash?

I agree. Even if it does stand, it will be months, if not years, before it has any effect.

Not as easy as you might think. Healthcare is complicated. Who knew?

Last month a plurality of voters (41%) identified health care as the most important issue facing the country. The Dems won those voters 75-23.

If O'Connor hadn't sat on his decision for political expediency, perhaps health care would've risen to the top for 50%+ of voters and I'm guessing the Dem edge on the issue would've ticked closer to 90-10. When health care is on people's minds, nobody wants the GOP in charge.

Really should've been a tsunami in November, not just a big wave.

Capture.png

You mean, those congressmen that have been vocal opponents of Trump's disastrous lie-o-sphere.

Be honest.

You mean, those congressmen that have been vocal opponents of Trump's disastrous lie-o-sphere.

Be honest.

No, I mean those GOP Elite Congressmen who flat out lied to their voters.

(try to stay on topic, eh?)

No, I mean those GOP Elite Congressmen who flat out lied to their voters.

(try to stay on topic, eh?)

Please, Trump flat out lied. DAY ONE! DAY ONE BEST HEALTHCARE EVER! DAY ONE! MEXICO WILL PAY FOR THE WALL!

You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Haven’t dems been wanting something more anyway, so why the Trump blame game, now is the time to put up or shut up, it wasn’t Trump it was a judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t dems been wanting something more anyway, so why the Trump blame game, now is the time to put up or shut up, it wasn’t Trump it was a judge.

It was Trump who promised a better health care plan to replace the ACA.

Day One. Repeal, Replace.

Please, Trump flat out lied. DAY ONE! DAY ONE BEST HEALTHCARE EVER! DAY ONE! MEXICO WILL PAY FOR THE WALL!

You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

And you continue to talk about stuff that is irrelevant to this thread's topic.

Try to focus, eh?

And you continue to talk about stuff that is irrelevant to this thread's topic.

Try to focus, eh?

You brought up lying republicans. I provided an example of one.

You dislike it because I displayed your hypocrisy.

The solution? Don't be a hypocrite.

You brought up lying republicans. I provided an example of one.

You dislike it because I displayed your hypocrisy.

The solution? Don't be a hypocrite.

I brought up lying Republican Congressmen. You predictably deflected to Trump.

I brought up lying Republican Congressmen. You predictably deflected to Trump.

This is a very important lie:

Brought back front-and-center by the GOP's latest effort to strip millions of coverage and cripple the American health care system.

Back
Top Bottom