• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Rouble is back on its feet!

It has reduced in both volume and price. So, now you're only referencing two things and one of them poorly?
I didn't know the US and UK (both not even in the top 10 for importing russian gas) stopping gas imports was crippling. And I have not seen any massive drops in prices (or even at all) when it comes to the main importers of Russian gas, so I still fail to see how that tanks Russia's economy. Face it, these sanctions have not helped Ukraine or deterred Russia whatsoever, nor have they brought the Russian economy to its knees.

Sure but I think the problem is we seem to have no idea of what Putin's end game is. We had sanctions on Russia because of their seizing Crimea. Then we held the sanctions and refused to accept that Russia won the little war for Crimea and there it sat. It reminds me of how we embargoed Cuba to damage Castro to actualize revolution. That did little, just as the Crimea sanctions did. Just as bombing alone cannot win a war, sanctions alone are even less effective. We should not be so caught up in the Russian invasion of Ukraine thinking we can ultimately affect the outcome in favor of Ukraine. It has been clear to me right from the start of the invasion. Russia will take the Donbas and force a Ukraine government step down. Knowing this what do we expect to happen? What do we expect as an outcome from sanctions? Are we helping save Ukrainians lives with all our billions we are sending there or are we facilitating the complete destruction of several major cities?

Kiev is the target for complete encirclement. The West has been deluged with Ukrainian propaganda. The Russians are going about the plan. The final phase is the siege of Kiev. Once Kiev is encircled, it is game over. What will happen after the fall of the Ukrainian government? Will we sanction the hell out of Russia after the war is over like was done with Crimea? Sure. That is exactly what we will do. Just like Cuba. Our policy has been zero effective. Our efforts should 100% be brokering a peace deal. Putin would not accept any deal once he controls all. But if done now maybe he would.

Divide Ukraine. Split it in half. East and West.
All

the

rubles.

I didn't know the US and UK (both not even in the top 10 for importing russian gas) stopping gas imports was crippling. And I have not seen any massive drops in prices (or even at all) when it comes to the main importers of Russian gas, so I still fail to see how that tanks Russia's economy. Face it, these sanctions have not helped Ukraine or deterred Russia whatsoever, nor have they brought the Russian economy to its knees.

Then you won't mind if we just leave them in place.

Maybe what you should do is see what's happening to Russian people instead of a couple indexes.

Maybe what you should do is see what's happening to Russian people instead of a couple indexes.
I have, and I'm still arguing against this economic warfare while the Russian people suffer and Putin couldn't be impacted less.

I believe some citations are in order. You can just make a sweeping statement like that and get away with it. :)

No, it is not a scam. Before the invasion the Dollar sold at some 87 Roubles. Then it fell down to a low of some 150 Roubles for a Dollar. Then it rose back to 84 Roubles for a Dollar. That is not Fake News. It is right there in financial publications
I don't have to. It has already been shown that you can only buy oil from Russia with rubles , and the price is a third of the former price in rubles, then it is obvious.

I have, and I'm still arguing against this economic warfare while the Russian people suffer and Putin couldn't be impacted less.
And what wonderful solution would you suggest that impacts only the oligarchs?

i see very few people who even realize this will be a 10 year war in some fashion.

I don't have to. It has already been shown that you can only buy oil from Russia with rubles , and the price is a third of the former price in rubles, then it is obvious.

Germany buys oil and gas from Russia. And is still paying for them in Euros. Where did you get it that Germany is paying a third of the price? If that were the case Germany, and not Russia, would be the one demanding to pay Russia in Roubles

Germany buys oil and gas from Russia. And is still paying for them in Euros. Where did you get it that Germany is paying a third of the price? If that were the case Germany, and not Russia, would be the one demanding to pay Russia in Roubles
Germany is paying Euros to an intermediary who then pays in Rubles. Doubt they are getting the same discount as China or India since they need it now.

And what wonderful solution would you suggest that impacts only the oligarchs?
Sanctioning them and confiscating their property? It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. The UK has been a haven for them.

i see very few people who even realize this will be a 10 year war in some fashion.

The war in Ukraine? Ten years? I hope not. At the moment Russian performance seems to me as unsatisfactory. Unless they can up their game, I do not see how the war lasts much longer.

Germany is paying Euros to an intermediary who then pays in Rubles. Doubt they are getting the same discount as China or India since they need it now.

If I understand right German contracts with Russia are long term. Russia prefers it that way. Most who signed long term contracts got them on favourable terms. Germany has liked Russian gas because Putin sold it cheap. That is bottom line how the dependency came about. It also brings up a certain irony, Germany may not be so hooked if it was Russian business men. and not a dictator, who set the prices.

Let's see how long Putin and the oligarchs can keep the ruble propped up. Sanctions don't work overnight.
Well given that EU now has to buy rubles if they want gas then I think it can be up for awhile.

Also the “Oligarchs” do not have political power in Russia. I don’t blame you for this ignorance, it appears no one in our foreign service knows this either.

The war in Ukraine? Ten years? I hope not. At the moment Russian performance seems to me as unsatisfactory. Unless they can up their game, I do not see how the war lasts much longer.
you having trouble with the "in some fashion" part?

Well given that EU now has to buy rubles if they want gas then I think it can be up for awhile.

Also the “Oligarchs” do not have political power in Russia. I don’t blame you for this ignorance, it appears no one in our foreign service knows this either.
Most of the oligarchs remaining owe their rise to power to Putin, and I'm sure the West knows this, they just want more media propaganda and to pat themselves on the back for achieving absolutely nothing.

you having trouble with the "in some fashion" part?

Why shouldnt I? "in some fashion" is an indefinite expression. Maybe not in your books

Perhaps they're just feeling generous and are selling at a loss out of pure altruism.

It's because the Russians are doing so well economically that they feel the need to give back in the form of discounts to their friends and neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom