• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Rich, are rich BECAUSE of ME!

Flippinfunky

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It really bothers me when Republican politicians, and their supporters, say things like: "why punish the successful!" when it comes to paying more taxes... and when they exploit the fact so many Americans dont pay any income taxes. Clearly there's some confusion surrounding this issue and I feel it's my duty to help clear it up ... so, FYI: The Rich dont get rich on their own. Yep! You read that right! No one buys a franchise or opens business and POOF! it's an instant sucess. Without the poorly paid minimum wage(and a buck or two more)employees, where would these business be?

Who would work the "open 24 hours" drive thru window if not the $9.00 per hour Employee? Who would fry the fries, shake the shakes and take the customers cash?
Who would deliver the goods to your local Walmart, Target or JC Penny if not for the crappy paid Truck Drivers? Who would see to it the shelves were stocked with the very products YOU demand if not for the "lazy, freeloading" minimum wage worker?
FACT is: Businesses succeed and their owners/CEO's achieve financial wealth BECAUSE their crappy paid employess show up to work and provide the quality service that keeps customers AND THEIR MONEY coming back.

Now, while I understand minimum wage jobs weren't "meant to be relied upon", IT IS A FACT that many educated, smart, God fearing people DO rely on minimum wage, or a few dollars more, to feed their families. Even in my State, with the highest minimum wage in the nation (currently $8.67, increasing to $9.05 Jan 2012), a SINGLE person cant pay their basic living bills...never mind families who are depending on it to make ends meet! And like it or not, MANY families DO. Military families included. These low paid American workers are the VERY PEOPLE who "dont pay any income taxes" or who get at least half back!
People from all walks of life work low paying jobs. Perhaps YOU think they should move on to bigger and better paying careers, but look past your own nose for just a moment and think about all the places you visit in a day:

Grocery store, post office, gas station, fast food joints, resturants, toll booths, subway stations, child daycare center, Doctors office, retail stores, banks..

and all the people you interact with while there:

Grocery clerk, mail carrier, gas station attendent, drive thru guy/girl, busser waiter and cook, toll booth operator, subway conductor, daycare assistant, Dr. receptionists, retail clerk, bank tellers..

now ask yourself just how VALUABLE those places and the employees are to YOU?!

So, the next time you get all arrogant and lip off about minimum/low wage workers being useless, lazy freeloaders.. you may want to:
*deliver your own mail ...
*cook and eat in your own home ...
*quit your job and spend 8 hours at home with your OWN kid(s)...
*check yourself in and submit paperwork to your insurance before & after you see the Dr....and,
*clean your own hospital room before you check in.

You can also grow & pick your own food instead of expecting farmers on federal subsidies & the "illegals" they hire to grow and pick it for you. And while you're at it... you can take care of your own sick and elderly parents/grandparents instead of relying on caregivers to do it.

Simple.

(Oh, and for those of you who hate unions and feel their members are overly paid, lazy, or freeloaders... feel free to build your own cars, and build & fly your own effin' airplanes as well!)

Some Simple Math:

10 x 40 = 400, 400 x 4 = $1,600 for a month(10 is 4 bucks more than fed min wage)

For families with 1 to 4 members:

Rent: $600 to $1400
Power, water sewer & garbage: $100 to $200
Food: $200 to $600
Sundries: $70 to $160
After all that, there's nothing left for TAXES, auto insurance and fuel, or medical copays and emergencies .. nevermind iPhones, cable TV and Dolce & Gabbana!

A-Rod would like to thank you for making him rich.

No one buys a franchise or opens business and POOF! it's an instant sucess. Without the poorly paid minimum wage(and a buck or two more)employees, where would these business be?

We'll never have to know.

Who would work the "open 24 hours" drive thru window if not the $9.00 per hour Employee? Who would fry the fries, shake the shakes and take the customers cash?

Once again, we'll never have to know. There will never be a lack or a shortage of unskilled, uneducated, simple labor. Because of this, we don't need to speculate about what would happen if 200 million Americans decided to stop working. You determine what your labor is worth. If you don't think your menial labor is worth 9 dollars an hour, don't apply. Don't ask for the job. Trust me, there will be plenty of others lining up to take it. Why? Because people need to eat. They need shelter. They need income. If you're too sanctimonious to see this, you're a waste of air.

Now, while I understand minimum wage jobs weren't "meant to be relied upon", IT IS A FACT that many educated, smart, God fearing people DO rely on minimum wage, or a few dollars more, to feed their families. Even in my State, with the highest minimum wage in the nation (currently $8.67, increasing to $9.05 Jan 2012), a SINGLE person cant pay their basic living bills...never mind families who are depending on it to make ends meet! And like it or not, MANY families DO. Military families included. These low paid American workers are the VERY PEOPLE who "dont pay any income taxes" or who get at least half back!

And? Last time I checked, "minimum wage" wasn't synonymous with "liveable wage". Should we give a 16 year old a job that pays the same per hour as a 30 year old trying to make ends meet? Absolutely. Why? Because their labor is the same. They do identical jobs, so they should receive - per hour - the same rate.

Simple.

(Oh, and for those of you who hate unions and feel their members are overly paid, lazy, or freeloaders... feel free to build your own cars, and build & fly your own effin' airplanes as well!)

Some Simple Math:

10 x 40 = 400, 400 x 4 = $1,600 for a month(10 is 4 bucks more than fed min wage)

After all that, there's nothing left for TAXES, auto insurance and fuel, or medical copays and emergencies .. nevermind iPhones, cable TV and Dolce & Gabbana!

Then stay with your parents. Live with friends. Find a large house and share with random others who are willing to share bills.

Guess what? If you're trying to support yourself after stumbling your way through high school, it is your fault. I will do nothing because you are a victim of your own design. If this means you can't muster up the ability to keep from dying in the gutter like a common dog, do me a courtesy and not die in my gutter.

Nobody owes you a damn thing. You're soapboxing like corporate America should get on its knees and thank you for providing unskilled labor. As someone who worked his way through college AND grad school, working in a place that requires you to not wear a nametag, your whiny ass bellyaching falls on deaf ears.

You class warfare types need to be purged.

I will do nothing because you are a victim of your own design. If this means you can't muster up the ability to keep from dying in the gutter like a common dog, do me a courtesy and not die in my gutter.

Nobody owes you a damn thing. You're soapboxing like corporate America should get on its knees and thank you for providing unskilled labor. As someone who worked his way through college AND grad school, working in a place that requires you to not wear a nametag, your whiny ass bellyaching falls on deaf ears.

I think you should quit whining, thank your god for what you have and pay your taxes, you fabulous martyr, you! The dying dogs owe you no courtesy.

Last edited:
Good. I don't want their courtesy. Just follow the "urinal rules" - eyes forward and shut up.

Yeah, I'm whining. I was working and paying my taxes before this thread, and I'll continue to work and pay taxes after it's long dead.

Princes don't cater to paupers, so don't expect a finger lifted from me.

Good. I don't want their courtesy. Just follow the "urinal rules" - eyes forward and shut up.

Yeah, I'm whining. I was working and paying my taxes before this thread, and I'll continue to work and pay taxes after it's long dead.

Princes don't cater to paupers, so don't expect a finger lifted from me.

I'd think someone who's been in the mud would have more empathy for those still crawling out of it. But I guess wealth is wasted on the wealthy.

I'd think someone who's been in the mud would have more empathy for those still crawling out of it. But I guess wealth is wasted on the wealthy.

And in what way should he help? Should you vote that the minority have to pay for their hardship? How is that showing him respect? How is that showing you are more than just about yourself? I guess its easy to take from people when they are wealthy and act as if you are superior to them.

Inspiring thread. What next does this generation want. A bleeping reward for waking up and going to work! WTH is wrong with this generation??? I worked three jobs, went to school part-time when I even had time. We didn't have no occupy movements, or expect to be thanked for doing our job. Of course it's tough sometimes, life can be hard, but don't blame another class because of your situation. Most of us who have put in our time through hard work and have become successful are more than happy to invest in people that show promise, or at the very least just have a bleeping good attitude, but if you want an award for your labor, then that is probably all you will ever be doing if you value it that much??? :peace

It really bothers me when Republican politicians, and their supporters, say things like: "why punish the successful!" when it comes to paying more taxes... and when they exploit the fact so many Americans dont pay any income taxes. Clearly there's some confusion surrounding this issue and I feel it's my duty to help clear it up ... so, FYI: The Rich dont get rich on their own. Yep! You read that right! No one buys a franchise or opens business and POOF! it's an instant sucess. Without the poorly paid minimum wage(and a buck or two more)employees, where would these business be?

Who would deliver the goods to your local Walmart, Target or JC Penny if not for the crappy paid Truck Drivers? Who would see to it the shelves were stocked with the very products YOU demand if not for the "lazy, freeloading" minimum wage worker?
FACT is: Businesses succeed and their owners/CEO's achieve financial wealth BECAUSE their crappy paid employess show up to work and provide the quality service that keeps customers AND THEIR MONEY coming back.

People from all walks of life work low paying jobs. Perhaps YOU think they should move on to bigger and better paying careers, but look past your own nose for just a moment and think about all the places you visit in a day:

Grocery store, post office, gas station, fast food joints, resturants, toll booths, subway stations, child daycare center, Doctors office, retail stores, banks..

and all the people you interact with while there:

Grocery clerk, mail carrier, gas station attendent, drive thru guy/girl, busser waiter and cook, toll booth operator, subway conductor, daycare assistant, Dr. receptionists, retail clerk, bank tellers..

now ask yourself just how VALUABLE those places and the employees are to YOU?!

So, the next time you get all arrogant and lip off about minimum/low wage workers being useless, lazy freeloaders.. you may want to:
*deliver your own mail ...
*cook and eat in your own home ...
*quit your job and spend 8 hours at home with your OWN kid(s)...
*check yourself in and submit paperwork to your insurance before & after you see the Dr....and,
*clean your own hospital room before you check in.

You can also grow & pick your own food instead of expecting farmers on federal subsidies & the "illegals" they hire to grow and pick it for you. And while you're at it... you can take care of your own sick and elderly parents/grandparents instead of relying on caregivers to do it.

Simple.

Some Simple Math:

another thread whining about the rich

Great

And in what way should he help? Should you vote that the minority have to pay for their hardship? How is that showing him respect? How is that showing you are more than just about yourself? I guess its easy to take from people when they are wealthy and act as if you are superior to them.

He could start by recognizing that the poor aren't dogs. You assume I look down on the wealthy, but I don't begrudge people their wealth. I simply expect them to pay the taxes society asks of them. But the OP is correct in pointing out that the wealthiest rely on many who aren't.

Certainly you see the folly in calling minimum wage workers dogs with one breath and with the next lamenting "class warfare."

He could start by recognizing that the poor aren't dogs. You assume I look down on the wealthy, but I don't begrudge people their wealth. I simply expect them to pay the taxes society asks of them. But the OP is correct in pointing out that the wealthiest rely on many who aren't.

If they don't pay they go to jail so the chances that argument has any merit is none. What society asks them to pay for IS services that exist for the poor, while the poor don't even have to pay a half a percent to the federal government all while expecting a vote. The fact is the rich are cattle that everyone expects to be on time to dinner so it can be eaten. They are nothing but the great scapegoat of the failures all the while the failures expect to have more programs that the rich pay for to give them something.

Certainly you see the folly in calling minimum wage workers dogs with one breath and with the next lamenting "class warfare."

If the minimum wage people expect that I will treat them like holy soldiers when all they do is work everyone can do, they can think again.

I'm a lil pissed off that all these people who made me "rich" didn't make me "rich" sooner.... why did i have to wait around until i was in my 40's for all these people to make me "rich"?

what was the hold up people?

Inspiring thread. What next does this generation want. A bleeping reward for waking up and going to work! WTH is wrong with this generation???

Nah...just a little respect for those that make rich peoples lives possible. Don't know about others but personally I'm getting tired of being told that I'm a lazy welfare slob that doesn't know jack chit and should stay outta politics just because I live pay check to pay check.

To the OP: Sorry, I don't agree with you about Unions. They are a bane to the US imo. Yes at one time they were needed and usefull...not anymore.

First of all, I was a 100k a year business owner for 12 years until the housing bubble popped. So dont get yourself all excited thinking Im some "loser."
Second, People like YOU make me laugh. Truth is, for all the defending of the rich you do, Im sure your income is a JOKE to them too.

And really, the CEO if Walmart can run all over the country to stock shelves and run the registers himself and the McDonalds franchise owner can run his own drive thru every shift... but they wont, instead they'll RELY and DEPEND on the 8 dollar per hour employees to do it. Freeloading their riches off their own workers... what losers.

WHO do YOU WORK FOR everyday and make RICH?

Last edited:
If they don't pay they go to jail so the chances that argument has any merit is none. What society asks them to pay for IS services that exist for the poor, while the poor don't even have to pay a half a percent to the federal government all while expecting a vote. The fact is the rich are cattle that everyone expects to be on time to dinner so it can be eaten. They are nothing but the great scapegoat of the failures all the while the failures expect to have more programs that the rich pay for to give them something.

If the minimum wage people expect that I will treat them like holy soldiers when all they do is work everyone can do, they can think again.

Oh look...another turtledude. You don't have to treat us like holy soldiers..nor do we expect it of you. All that we expect is to be treated like human beings instead of saying crap like you did in the above bolded. Like turtledude you appear to have no problem wanting to reduce the poor to nothing more than serfs.

Absolute thinking is where you fail. I never said the poor should be revered or admired, but I've known many "poor" human beings who are worthy of dignity and respect. I ask you to recognize humanity.

The idea that the wealthy are being eaten for lunch by the "failures:" I find that statement delusional. The federal income tax burden is hardly enough to unravel the privileges of wealth. You mistake the farmers for the cattle.

Besides, I bet Gipper didn't pay much federal income tax when he was a poor student making his way in the world ... people's financial situation changes over time, but calamity can strike anywhere along the road.

Nah...just a little respect for those that make rich peoples lives possible. Don't know about others but personally I'm getting tired of being told that I'm a lazy welfare slob that doesn't know jack chit and should stay outta politics just because I live pay check to pay check.

To the OP: Sorry, I don't agree with you about Unions. They are a bane to the US imo. Yes at one time they were needed and usefull...not anymore.

Sorry you feel that way, but there are THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of union members building the very planes you fly in. Feel free to let them know how useless they are.

The problem is the allocation of income to capital versus labor. Right now, it's very much in favor of capital. Obviously you need both capital and labor to accomplish most things. Those that have capital are in a better position to demand more of the income than those that have labor. Especially in a market with high unemployment. Many people will take a job just to have a job and that makes it very hard to negotiate a higher percentage of income.

We'll never have to know.

Once again, we'll never have to know. There will never be a lack or a shortage of unskilled, uneducated, simple labor. Because of this, we don't need to speculate about what would happen if 200 million Americans decided to stop working. You determine what your labor is worth. If you don't think your menial labor is worth 9 dollars an hour, don't apply. Don't ask for the job. Trust me, there will be plenty of others lining up to take it. Why? Because people need to eat. They need shelter. They need income. If you're too sanctimonious to see this, you're a waste of air.

Oh that's a great way to go through life. "Hey, as long as they are willing to be screwed, let's ****ing screw them". Wow, I guess we haven't progressed much from even the era of Plato and Aristotle - Aristotle especially, who thought that there was a group of workers who were beneath everyone else. But I can see why you would make such a ridiculous argument, since there really is no other argument other than "I guess we'll never know". You're not better than they are, and they work as hard as anyone else. The fact remains that those jobs have to be filled by someone, and they are also the most common jobs in the nation. That means, in your opinion, no matter what, there is a large class of people that deserves to struggle.

That's a miserly opinion, says I.

Last edited:
Sorry you feel that way, but there are THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of union members building the very planes you fly in. Feel free to let them know how useless they are.

You misunderstand me. I am against unions. I have no problem with the people that work in them...voluntarily or forceibly. When I talk about unions I am talking about the "ceo's" of the unions. The ones that don't make those airplanes but instead act just as you are saying the rich act.

SeattleRain said:
First of all, I was a 100k a year business owner for 12 years until the housing bubble popped. So dont get yourself all excited thinking Im some "loser."
Second, People like YOU make me laugh. Truth is, for all the defending of the rich you do, Im sure your income is a JOKE to them too.

Compared to the rich, my income is a joke. The only difference is that I don't come on here and talk about random crap that can't and won't happen, and I don't ignore economic rule, principle, and reality.

And really, the CEO if Walmart can run all over the country to stock shelves and run the registers himself and the McDonalds franchise owner can run his own drive thru every shift... but they wont, instead they'll RELY and DEPEND on the 8 dollar per hour employees to do it. Freeloading their riches off their own workers... what losers.

No, it's just that you have no economic concept and don't realize that they bring a more rare aspect of the 3 basics of production - capital. Well, probably 2, since they can equally purchase land. What he doesn't have is the third, and by far the easiest to obtain - labor. Because of the fact that he has a resource that can be scarce and laborers possess the one that is much less scarce, the wage determination is acceptable. It is further accentuated by the fact that he supplied positions that were filled. If 9 dollars an hour is such an unfair wage, he would have no workers.

I'll quote economic law. You quote emotional bullcrap. We'll see which one finishes the race.

When posts come up like this sometimes it seems as if people are talking to the *creme de la creme* - the millionaires - which are a very small minority of people in this country.

But when lists are rattled off - and the cost of living gets thrown around and amounts spent on things - I wonder just how many non-millionaires are lumped into the 'hated rich-living people' pool.

Because many things that the extremely wealthy are hated for - many regular average people have bought it, owned it or live it, too. . . are these people hated just as much or are they not?

Back
Top Bottom