• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Resurrection, Something Borrowed, Something New, But Certainly not True

Uh....wut?

If Adam and Eve in 3900 BC are teaching their offspring that the Messiah in the future will be born of a virgin, will be the Son of God, will perform a sacrifice for sin, and will be the first ressurrected of the human family, it is logical over the course of thousands of years that all kinds of religions would descend from the true original with traces of the original.

No parallels except also coming back from the dead. :roll:

.....no parallels, because you can't name one! :lol:

Furthermore, your own source Mettinger, doesn't agree with you!

Think about my title: Something borrowed, something new...

Yeah, I saw your title and I say.......your title is faulty!

The Resurrection wasn't borrowed (as you claimed).
And your author Mettinger, haven't said anything like what you're trying to attribute to him.
In fact, he concluded the contrary to what you're claiming!

Which means, you jumped the gun when you read that cockamamie claim in some sites, and you must've thought you got an "aha moment!".....but alas, you just relied on Wiki to back it up. :lol:

So now, it's like a pie that landed squarely on your face!

Last edited:
.....no parallels, because you can't name one! :lol:

Furthermore, your own source Mettinger, doesn't agree with you!

Yeah, I saw your title and I say.......your title is faulty!
The Resurrection wasn't borrowed (as you claimed).
And your author Mettinger, haven't said anything like what you're trying to attribute to him.
In fact, he concluded the contrary to what you're claiming!

Which means, you jumped the gun when you read that cockamamie claim in some sites, and you must've thought you got an "aha moment!".....but alas, you just relied on Wiki. :lol:

So now, it's like a pie that landed squarely on your face!

Coming back from the dead is the parallel....a common myth for millennia.

If Adam and Eve in 3900 BC are teaching their offspring that the Messiah in the future will be born of a virgin, will be the Son of God, will perform a sacrifice for sin, and will be the first ressurrected of the human family, it is logical over the course of thousands of years that all kinds of religions would descend from the true original with traces of the original.

Yeah, that must explain it :roll:

Last edited:
Nope. It's not a parallel. That's what your own author had concluded.

There's more to just coming back from the dead, you know.
Even today....we hear of people that were pronounced dead, "come back from the dead."
There's nothing "mythical" about that. They happen sometimes.

Yeah, coming back from the dead is a parallel. Hence it was borrowed from myths of days gone by. The crap about sin forgiveness is new.

Nope. It's not a parallel. That's what your own author had concluded.

There's more to just coming back from the dead, you know.

Even today....we hear of people that were pronounced dead, "come back from the dead."
Like this one:

Man declared dead comes to life in funeral home: Miracle? - LA Times

There's nothing "mythical" about that. They happen sometimes.

It's not my author. It's from a wiki page. But, if you want to debate authors who made ludicrous statements which have been proven to be untrue, we can discuss the Bible, starting with Genesis.

Christians think they have a unique event...Christ Rising from the dead. But, of course, that myth has been around for ages. Long before the sandal wearing hippie ever walked the dunes between Jerusalem and Galilee, rode an ass in Damascus or faced his fate on a cross planted atop a hill, mythical characters were rising from the dead.

So, really, what we have here is myth sharing. Clearly, since Jesus came after all these other resurrected characters from what amount to fairy tales, reason dictates the Jesus myth too is a fairy tale.

Now, of course, Christians will say those other resurrections are myths but the resurrection of Jesus was real. Of course, we know better. Fact remains, Jesus myth is just as contrived as the Osirus and Achilles myths. Is there any doubt?

The OP thesis appears to be based on the erroneous premise that if something occurs in a story, it cannot occur in life, an argument demonstrating scant appreciation of the relationship between art and life. Love and marriage, to say nothing of journeys and quests, take place universally in myths. According to the OP logic, these mythic tropes don't happen in life, and to claim otherwise is worthy of derision.

Enough said. We can hear the edge of this axe grinding a mile away.

Evidence that resurrection is even possible is needed before we even contemplate whether it is probable.

I have seen no evidence that justifies any extraordinary claims of the possibility so discussion of the probability is pointless.

Produce a resurrection and show that you know it otherwise I have no respect for this delusion.

The OP thesis appears to be based on the erroneous premise that if something occurs in a story, it cannot occur in life, an argument demonstrating scant appreciation of the relationship between art and life. Love and marriage, to say nothing of journeys and quests, take place universally in myths. According to the OP logic, these mythic tropes don't happen in life, and to claim otherwise is worthy of derision.

Produce a resurrection Angel. If you can't show it, you don't know it.

If you hate it then it must be true.

Where is the evidence 'I hate it'? I just want you to show that you read and understood it, and can actually talk about and defend those claims. Can you?

Sure, and Che Guevara is a saint.
Hark! Another axe grinding in the west.
Give it a rest, man.

Sure, and Che Guevara is a saint.
Hark! Another axe grinding in the west.
Give it a rest, man.

Compared to many gods he is but, that's another story but hey, having a poke at an avatar is a rock solid way to persuade me that a resurrection is possible.

Not really. Case in point: few people over age-10 will argue that a lady fairy swaps coins for teeth or that a bunny hides eggs. But, start a conversation about some desert dweller raising up from the dead to atone for our sins, and a billion people sign right up.

Where's your evidence it's a myth?

Prove it.
myth
miTH
noun

1. a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

Considering that this all happened thousands of years ago, and there's only so much "evidence" to go around, it's not too surprising that there isn't too much "hard" evidence.

Which is an entirely different debate that claiming Jesus was "contrived".

You agree that there is no evidence of the Jesus resurection. OK. Good.

You agree that there is no evidence of the Jesus resurection. OK. Good.

For some reaso, when it comes to this particular myth, the lack of physical evidence spurs the believer on rather than making them question its validity. "Ah, but there were witnesses," they say.

For some reaso, when it comes to this particular myth, the lack of physical evidence spurs the believer on rather than making them question its validity. "Ah, but there were witnesses," they say.

My take on religion is that the entire point is the collective group meam of none-truth. Not necessarily lying, but generally is, but the avoidance of the need to be honest. This then allows people to live in a sort of fantasy world, or half fantasy world, where they mutually respect each other for following the forms of good society whilst all the time not really doing much of that at all. They all seem to break the rules constsantly and freely but as long as it is camoflarged to any extent it is ignored and impolite to mention.

Unfit to vote or sit on a jury in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom