• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Republicans’ Gay Freakout

chromium

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
For those who thought obergefell meant they will have to 'move on' from discriminating against lgbt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/opinion/sunday/the-republicans-gay-freakout.html?_r=0

"OUR infrastructure is inexcusable, much of our public education is miserable and one of our leading presidential candidates is a know-nothing, say-anything egomaniac who yanks harder every day at the tattered fabric of civil discourse and fundamental decency in this country.

But let’s by all means worry about the gays! Let’s make sure they know their place...

It takes forever in this country to build a new bridge, tunnel or train line, but it took no time flat for politicians in the Tar Heel State to convene a special session, formally ostracize North Carolina’s L.G.B.T. voters and wrap conservative Christians in a tight embrace. Who says America’s can-do spirit is dead?...

Apparently conservatives love the concept of local control when the locality being given control tilts right, but they have a different view when it leans left."

very well-written IMO. Remember the 'states' rights' nonsense? Well whatever happened to citys' rights??

This only emphasizes the need for federal protections (the only kind i believe in, precisely because anything less is only transitory), or else this farce will drag on and on for decades more

For those who thought obergefell meant they will have to 'move on' from discriminating against lgbt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/opinion/sunday/the-republicans-gay-freakout.html?_r=0

"OUR infrastructure is inexcusable, much of our public education is miserable and one of our leading presidential candidates is a know-nothing, say-anything egomaniac who yanks harder every day at the tattered fabric of civil discourse and fundamental decency in this country.

But let’s by all means worry about the gays! Let’s make sure they know their place...

It takes forever in this country to build a new bridge, tunnel or train line, but it took no time flat for politicians in the Tar Heel State to convene a special session, formally ostracize North Carolina’s L.G.B.T. voters and wrap conservative Christians in a tight embrace. Who says America’s can-do spirit is dead?...

Apparently conservatives love the concept of local control when the locality being given control tilts right, but they have a different view when it leans left."

very well-written IMO. Remember the 'states' rights' nonsense? Well whatever happened to citys' rights??

This only emphasizes the need for federal protections (the only kind i believe in, precisely because anything less is only transitory), or else this farce will drag on and on for decades more

Sorry if you thought legalizing gay marriage would allow you and your ilk to usurp the 1st Amendment. :shrug:

Sorry if you thought legalizing gay marriage would allow you and your ilk to usurp the 1st Amendment. :shrug:

yes because the 1st amendment allows publicly operating businesses and publicly funded schools and adoption agencies to discriminate against anyone. I try to encourage participation in my threads, but that's the weakest defense i ever heard

Many republicans support gay rights which is in fact equal rights. Unfortunately the party is also littered with those that don't. In the end they will lose though, equal rights will continue to move forward and temporary set backs like the ones SOME republicans are pushing won't last. Right's will win but yes it is sad that the process will take way longer than it should. The bigots are in panic mode because they know their anti-rights views are going away

yes because the 1st amendment allows publicly operating businesses and publicly funded schools and adoption agencies to discriminate against anyone. I try to encourage participation in my threads, but that's the weakest defense i ever heard

Freedom of religion doesn't require people to participate in activities which run counter to their religion. If you didn't want legislation like this to become necessary, you shouldn't have persecuted people for exercising their religious freedoms. Not sure what you expected. :shrug:

Freedom of religion doesn't require people to participate in activities which run counter to their religion. If you didn't want legislation like this to become necessary, you shouldn't have persecuted people for exercising their religious freedoms. Not sure what you expected. :shrug:

Your rights end where my rights begin. You can't use your religion as a crutch for discrimination.

Ok. My religion (that I just made up) says I don't have to pay taxes. Because First Amendment, I guess the government can't give me the Wesley Snipes treatment.

Many republicans support gay rights which is in fact equal rights. Unfortunately the party is also littered with those that don't. In the end they will lose though, equal rights will continue to move forward and temporary set backs like the ones SOME republicans are pushing won't last. Right's will win but yes it is sad that the process will take way longer than it should. The bigots are in panic mode because they know their anti-rights views are going away

Just so you know, you do have a right known as freedom of association. That is the right to choose with whom you associate. Put another way, it is the right to discriminate. I guess that puts you in the 'anti-rights' camp as well now doesn't it.

Ok. My religion (that I just made up) says I don't have to pay taxes. Because First Amendment, I guess the government can't give me the Wesley Snipes treatment.

I suppose it was bound to happen, Kobie, but you are correct on this. The idea that a belief in a particular Deity grants a person the right to discriminate is incorrect. Everyone has that right regardless of their faith or lack of it.

Your rights end where my rights begin. You can't use your religion as a crutch for discrimination.

I could say the same to you. You cannot use your SSM "rights" to force people to participate in your homosexual activities against their will. If you hadn't done so, none of this would be happening. What did you expect? Did you think you could force your gay lifestyle on people and there'd be no pushback?

Just so you know, you do have a right known as freedom of association. That is the right to choose with whom you associate. Put another way, it is the right to discriminate. I guess that puts you in the 'anti-rights' camp as well now doesn't it.

Well aware and that right, good thing it is not infringed on by equal rights nor is is actually the right to illegally discriminate. There is no right to illegal discriminate so once again I'm not in the anti-rights camp by any means. :)

I could say the same to you. You cannot use your SSM "rights" to force people to participate in your homosexual activities against their will. If you hadn't done so, none of this would be happening. What did you expect? Did you think you could force your gay lifestyle on people and there'd be no pushback?

I don't know where you live but in my country (USA) nobody is being forced to participate in homosexual activities against their will by equal rights.

None of this has happened. Guaranteeing equal rights under the law is not forcing anyone to participate in "homosexual activities."

WTF are "homosexual activities"? Gay arts and crafts?

WTF are "homosexual activities"? Gay arts and crafts?

No, that's when a gay person wakes up in their gay bed, brushes their gay teeth with their gay toothbrush. Takes a gay shower, puts on their gay clothes, gets in their gay car, goes to their gay job, earns their gay money, pays their gay taxes and buys their gay groceries...

Oh and in between connives to destroy the family unit and the country.

What activities are you being forced to participate in? No one is forcing to marry a man or change your sexual orientation.

Sorry if you thought legalizing gay marriage would allow you and your ilk to usurp the 1st Amendment.

Sorry if you thought the 1st Amd was about protecting bigots who cowardly hide their bigotry behind claims of religion.

Sadly, it seems likely that there is no deity to explain to them just how wrong they are, after they die.

I could say the same to you. You cannot use your SSM "rights" to force people to participate in your homosexual activities against their will.

If you sell me a knife, and one month later I use that knife to cut a steak at a gay person's house, did you participate in my dinner?

The notion that selling someone a product, which they later use in a reception following a ceremony that you disagree with, is "forcing" you to "participate" in the earlier ceremony is laughable. It's transparent. It's a blatant attempt to hide anti-gay animus behind religion.

You know it. I know it. They know it.

We all know it.

Republican Christian here. I don't give a crap about gays. Or abortion for that matter. It annoys the hell out of me that the idiots in my party let that even remotely be a factor in elections.

Even if you were correct that religion was the true and only source of the discrimination, the 14th amendment's equal protection takes precedence, as it came later. To establish protections race, sex etc, government MUST also protect sexuality

I didn't persecute anyone either. If you want to discriminate, don't open a business in public. Start a private club like the KKK. This isn't a hard distinction to grasp

facepalm.jpg

The 1st amendment allows you to believe how you wish. However you beliefs cannot infringe on the rights of others, as no one has the right to do that to another human being. Since your rights cannot be infringed without due process of law, and the legal system is secular, and has no religion, no religion can be jammed down your throat, along with their morals, and beliefs. Forcing certain ways of life on people would violate one of reasons people came to America, to escape persecution, it would make us hypocrites to enjoy a free society, but not allow others to enjoy it purely because they are different.

I suppose it was bound to happen, Kobie, but you are correct on this. The idea that a belief in a particular Deity grants a person the right to discriminate is incorrect. Everyone has that right regardless of their faith or lack of it.

No you do not have that right if you're going to do business in public, in point of fact

Understand that your form of "liberty" is not the same as the law

If you sell me a knife, and one month later I use that knife to cut a steak at a gay person's house, did you participate in my dinner?

The notion that selling someone a product, which they later use in a reception following a ceremony that you disagree with, is "forcing" you to "participate" in the earlier ceremony is laughable. It's transparent. It's a blatant attempt to hide anti-gay animus behind religion.

You know it. I know it. They know it.

We all know it.

maybe if he was forced to perform as a stripper for a gay bachelor party, or to consummate the marriage, he would be correct

Back
Top Bottom