• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Republican War on Voting

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It's starting to get ridiculous. What used to be a Southern thing, making voting more difficult is now seen in places as far north as Wisconsin.

The divide illustrates how the United States is fast becoming a two-tiered democracy, a country where it’s harder to vote in Republican-controlled states and easier to vote in Democratic ones. There are some notable exceptions—New York, a blue state, ranked 47th in the Pew Charitable Trust’s 2012 Elections Performance Index, while North Dakota, a red state, ranked No. 1—but the trend is unmistakable. Of the 22 states that have passed new voting restrictions since 2010, more than 80 percent were under Republican control, while the states, such as Oregon and California, that have recently passed ambitious reforms like automatic voter registration are overwhelmingly Democratic.

https://www.thenation.com/article/the-gops-war-on-voting-is-working/

What gives? Do Republicans really want to be known as the party that restricts voting rights? I'm sure that will bite them back in due time.

It's starting to get ridiculous. What used to be a Southern thing, making voting more difficult is now seen in places as far north as Wisconsin.

What gives? Do Republicans really want to be known as the party that restricts voting rights? I'm sure that will bite them back in due time.

Paul Weyrich - the founder of the Heritage Foundation - said the following in a speech before a conference (Ronald Reagan was in the audience):

"I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of the people. They never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."

The GOP has - at least since the implementation of Nixon's "Southern Strategy" where he deliberately courted Southern racists - has believed in democracy only as long as they're the ones who decide who gets to vote.

It is a Republican wall to prevent the masses most likely Democrats to register and vote for Democrats and the legislation they support. The Democratic party, headed by Debbie Wasserman Schultz, has absolutely failed at focusing on registering people to vote, and then getting out the new registrants to vote. Thus the dominance of Reps in state Governors and legislators, and Congress. Republicans build a wall and it's only recently the Dems have started to give any real help for folks to climb that wall, and still not enough. Register and vote.

Last edited:

I don't know about Republcans but I do. I really don't think dead people should vote. I don't think foreign nationals should vote, or be encouraged to vote, in U.S. elections. I think absentee ballots for all, same day registration or no registration, and voting anonymously are all part of the Democrat War on Voting Integrity. I don't think thugs, plural, should hit nursing homes to coerce elderly patients, often with dementia, to sign their already filled out absentee ballots.

I was voting integrity and I want the Democrat War of Voting Integrity ended. Let them cheer Melowese Richardson in private and not embarrass themselves with public displays for felons.

It is a Republican wall to prevent the masses most likely Democrats to register and vote for Democrats and the legislation they support. The Democratic party, headed by Debbie Wasserman Schultz, has absolutely failed at focusing on registering people to vote, and then getting out the new registrants to vote. Thus the dominance of Reps in state Governors and legislators, and Congress. Republicans build a wall and it's only recently the Dems have started to give any real help for folks to climb that wall, and still not enough. Register and vote.

Clearly, overcoming this wall required organization and a concerted effort.

I don't know about Republcans but I do. I really don't think dead people should vote. I don't think foreign nationals should vote, or be encouraged to vote, in U.S. elections. I think absentee ballots for all, same day registration or no registration, and voting anonymously are all part of the Democrat War on Voting Integrity. I don't think thugs, plural, should hit nursing homes to coerce elderly patients, often with dementia, to sign their already filled out absentee ballots.

I was voting integrity and I want the Democrat War of Voting Integrity ended. Let them cheer Melowese Richardson in private and not embarrass themselves with public displays for felons.

The article in the OP states 9% of eligible voters in Wisconsin lack proper ID and will be forced to jump through hoops, like the US army veteran who relocated to the cheese state from Illinois. It's not felons, foreigners, dead people or old ladies with dementia who are affected.

The article in the OP states 9% of eligible voters in Wisconsin lack proper ID and will be forced to jump through hoops, like the US army veteran who relocated to the cheese state from Illinois. It's not felons, foreigners, dead people or old ladies with dementia who are affected.

I changed states the day I left the US Army. I had no trouble whatsoever obtaining ID. There are no hoops to jump through if you are a US citizen.

And that's nonsense. According to your article, 91% have proper ID and I doubt they had to jump through hoops. If the Democrats were interested in eligible voters voting they would help them get ID instead of suing to continue the fraud that they've enjoyed for years.

What do you think the Democrats are willing to do to help the 9% get proper ID? The answer is, nothing. Perhaps the Republicans will but we both know what the Democrats want. They want to continue giggling and calling election day resurrection day when the dead rise up and vote.

Anyone that doesn't get a government ID is generally just lazy. I live in New York and they will basically bus you directly to the DMV to get an ID, and pay for it you don't make enough money. And if you do make too much money, you can just not get a combo from Mcdonalds seeing as the ID costs 8 dollars.

I changed states the day I left the US Army. I had no trouble whatsoever obtaining ID. There are no hoops to jump through if you are a US citizen.

I changed states about six times. Also never had a problem. But, I was never homeless or couch surfing, and I have a valid Birth Certificate. I believe the article talks about people who are less stable and lack a BC.

What restrictions? I have shown my ID from the very first time I bothered to vote, is that the problem? This Liberal has not problem with someone doing what is needed to vote, register, or showing that the ballet actually belongs to me. Good grief, this does not get one support from the Independent crowd.

The Federal law has given requirements on who can vote in this country.
1) 18 years of age
2) a citizen of the U.S. who meets the residency requirements of his or her state

Liberals HATE #2. They HATE that voting is restricted to citizens. That would disqualify SO many people loyal to the Democrat Party. SO many illegal aliens that they've made promises to. SO many aliens who have no interest in being a citizen, while leeching all the benefits that are supposed to be reserved for citizens. I wonder if Lord Obama would have been President if it were ONLY citizens who voted in the last two elections. I'm thinking, probably not.

It's not about people not getting to vote because they don't have an ID and it's not about Democrats who would rather use poor people than help them. It's about voter fraud and the Democrat Party's reliance on it.

I had to jump through amazing hoops to get my passport. My Certificate of Birth was rejected. It had to be a Birth Certificate. I have to jump through amazing hoops to vote since I'm a U.S. citizen living outside the U.S. I know it's confusing for Democrats but legally U.S. citizens in foreign countries can vote and foreign nationals in the U.S. are not eligible to vote. And the hoops I had to jump through to get my credit card. And if you want to know about hoops, start paying income tax.

I'm curious about how these poor homeless folks with no ID and no possible way to get one manage to get food stamps, SSI, Medicaid, Section 8 housing, and bus passes.

The Republcian War on Viting is nonsense. The Democrat War on Honest Elections is real.

I changed states about six times. Also never had a problem. But, I was never homeless or couch surfing, and I have a valid Birth Certificate. I believe the article talks about people who are less stable and lack a BC.

So do you really think someone with no permanent address is concerned about voting? And who cares about couch surfers? Those are not the group the anti-voter ID democrats are claiming as victims. They are claiming senior citizens and African Americans as victims. And thgey are wildly climing that they have no way of obtaining ID. Then they are suggesting that conservatives are cold hearted and racist for wanting people to show valid ID to vote. The truth is they just do not want to lose the cemetary and illegal immigrant vote, or the multiple times voter.

Trying to prevent shinannigans by asking voters to present a photo ID, an arduous task also enforced for:
Beer
Liquor
Check Writing
Getting married
Buying a lotto ticket
Driving a car
Opening a bank account
Taking out a loan.
USING a Credit card (they are supposed to check)

Those damned dirty GOPers, HOW DARE THEY!

It's Wisconsin. Too much cheese can cause all kinds of problems. Voting restrictions are just the tip of the ice berg. Sure, republicans would like to take credit. They do that all the time. In reality, they have nothing whatsoever to do with it, and they damn well know it.

Republicans express concern about illegal immigration, and Democrats scream that Republicans are against immigration.

Republican express concern about illegal voting, and Democrats scream that Republicans are against voting.

Democrats are a bunch of liars and crooks.

Trying to prevent shinannigans by asking voters to present a photo ID, an arduous task also enforced for:
Beer
Liquor
Check Writing
Getting married
Buying a lotto ticket
Driving a car
Opening a bank account
Taking out a loan.
USING a Credit card (they are supposed to check)

Those damned dirty GOPers, HOW DARE THEY!

Getting on an airplane.

I wish they required ID when filing with the IRS but too many good Democrats are living off tax fraud. A few years ago I couldn't file electronically because someone else had filed, and gotten a refund, using my SS number. "Does this mean I don't have to file?" "No. They didn't use your name. Now the Social Security number is issued by the government and taxes are collected by the government so why can't they check to see that the SS number and name match. Answer: They don't want to. Along with voter fraud the Democrats thrive on tax fraud.

Earth to calamity, most states demand some sort of identification for voting. First time voters must register - everyone who votes must register with the local voting authority. Most states demand someone vote in the precinct they live as a way of limiting chances of someone over voting, for example.

Hey, if you live in a state where all voting in done via Internet, like Oregon for example, every voter must know how to use the Internet...Dumb thread...

Last edited:

Since you are bringing up the south, it was democrats who had a history of making voting difficult for specific groups. Have you ever wondered why former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice is a republican? She grew up in the South during the segregation era. One of her best school friends was one of the four black girls killed in a KKK bombing. When her dad went to register to vote in Alabama, the democrats refused to register him. The republicans welcomed him.

Well, that's no surprise. These Republican states have been listening to their constituency. What on EARTH is wrong with that?

Well, that's no surprise. These Republican states have been listening to their constituency. What on EARTH is wrong with that?

I don't know. Is it a good idea to restrict voting to just those who meet a dozen different criteria: permanent address, legitimate birth certificate, state issued ID, etc.?

I'm actually torn on this myself. In my universe, I'd prefer only college educated people with legitimate jobs who own a home and participate in political discussion groups be allowed to vote. :roll:

Since you are bringing up the south, it was democrats who had a history of making voting difficult for specific groups. Have you ever wondered why former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice is a republican? She grew up in the South during the segregation era. One of her best school friends was one of the four black girls killed in a KKK bombing. When her dad went to register to vote in Alabama, the democrats refused to register him. The republicans welcomed him.

not this again...

Earth to calamity, most states demand some sort of identification for voting. First time voters must register - everyone who votes must register with the local voting authority. Most states demand someone vote in the precinct they live as a way of limiting chances of someone over voting, for example.

Hey, if you live in a state where all voting in done via Internet, like Oregon for example, every voter must know how to use the Internet...Dumb thread...

What is that state that lets prisoners vote? Ah, Maine and Vermont.

Vermont, Maine allow felon votes - Washington Times

I guess that explains why we have a Senator Sanders. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom