• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Republican Senate nightmare is coming true

Those who took a dump on the Constitution need to pay. I believe they will too.
I can't believe you would turn on Schiff and Pelosi so quickly. Still, it's good to have you onboard.

Florida especially had Senate coattails, with Rubio winning by 713 k and Trump winning by 113 k.

He can still filibuster all legislation as minority leader, like he did the last time he had that title. The turtle must go!

Isn't Moscow Mitch the guy who hates filibusters?

The Dems will not get a filibuster-proof majority. Will the Dems repeal the filibuster?

I doubt that. However, I would like to see it return to its former self, where someone takes the floor and talks until they can go no further. That's what a filibuster is supposed to be. Not this "I raise my hand in filibuster. Now you have to drop it ... yawn."

A filibuster is supposed to translate to "One man and the truth constitutes a majority." and if he has the courage to defy the entire senate, then he has the right to bring their business to a halt until he either has the majority on his side or he is too physically exhausted to continue the battle. Either way, someone who filibusters must be willing to (figuratively/politically) die on the hill they choose.

The Republicans have been the party of do nothing since 2008.

The Republicans actually have a pathetic record on legislation going back 100 years. Other cutting taxes and increasing defense spending, often at the same time, they have almost NO noteworthy legislation in a century.

Unfortunately, casting a vote is not the same as having that vote counted. Trump is doing a yeoman's job in interfering with the election, through Post Office defunding. The GOP are also doing other similar things on the ground, as we see in Ohio.

Given that, I'm not so sure the future for the Democrats is quite as rosy as the polling seems to indicate.

Indeed the Dems have much more support and the electorate is much more liberal than the Republicans. However the GOP controls access to power and will stifle the vote if they can. They're already doing it.

first most of the seats they are defending are in deep red territory

next, collins both won her election by bg margins before, why would this be different?

While it's true most of them are 'safe' seats, it's the eight or nine that are close, teetering or already leaning blue they have to worry about. If they lose half of those they lose the senate. I only give it about 50-50 odds that will pan out.

I doubt that. However, I would like to see it return to its former self, where someone takes the floor and talks until they can go no further. That's what a filibuster is supposed to be. Not this "I raise my hand in filibuster. Now you have to drop it ... yawn."

A filibuster is supposed to translate to "One man and the truth constitutes a majority." and if he has the courage to defy the entire senate, then he has the right to bring their business to a halt until he either has the majority on his side or he is too physically exhausted to continue the battle. Either way, someone who filibusters must be willing to (figuratively/politically) die on the hill they choose.

Exactly. There's not been a filibuster in what, 70 yrs or more.
This BS, well I don't like it, so I might filibuster so now you need 60 votes? No.

Actually stand there and give a speech about it. Do a real filibuster, not the BS, I don't like the proposal, so now you need 60 votes. Hogwash.
More results from a DO NOTHING CONGRESS.

I'm a lifelong Republican. And nobody in the world wants to see the Republicans lose the Senate more than I do. It's what they deserve for supporting this piece of crap Trump and degrading the party.

I don't just want to see Republicans lose. I want them to get BLOWN OUT. That way everyone who voted for Donald Trump can see how stupid supporting him was.

i would definitely enjoy seeing the senate flip.

If Biden wins the election and the Democrats maintain control of the House of Representatives, everyone better pray that the Republicans still hold the Senate. We will all be screwed if the Democrats gain total control. Even liberals will be screwed.

You do realize all three would happen on the same day, right?

There is no reason for Republicans to keep their hold on the Senate majority. Everyone knows the only reason they acquitted Donald Trump was to keep him in office.

i would definitely enjoy seeing the senate flip.

Me too, but I wold love to see more than just a majority switch. Is a filibuster proof majority asking for too much?

AACl5hg.img

The only surefire way to right the course of this country is via the Democrats flipping the GOP Senate on November 3rd.

Without that, GOP Majority Leader 'Moscow' Mitch McConnell will ensure a Congressional stalemate and bottleneck for the next four years.

Related: Democrats say White House isn't budging in coronavirus relief stalemate

Even if the dems win the senate, the people will probably repeat history and be stupid enough to give it up after two years and the cycle will continue

Oh, yes!

I agree that the Democrats will seize the Senate on November 3.

As the saying goes, in a democracy, the voters have a perfect right to vote to end that democracy.

When the Biden-Harris team (with Ms. Nancy & Mr. Chuck) implement their BLM- and ANTIFA- friendly policies, a whole lot of people who voted them in are going to be very sorry.

Unfortunately, we friends of democracy will also be swept up in the nightmare.

It's a problem that his success at achieving many of his policy ideas hasn't caused harm? OK. The future is why we need to get rid of the hard left influence in government. We need a Congress that not going to spend the nation into a depression.

Both previous times this nation's economy crashed (1929 and 2008), the President was a Republican. Earlier this year, the stock market crashed again. Again, our economy crashed with a Republican President. There is no reason to think for one second donkeys put America's economy in a Great Depression and Great Recession. It was always elephants.

RCP has it at 5 right now. IIRC that's as close as she's been. I just don't see Kentuckystan voting in a Democrat woman.

I don't think Kentucky voters would care whether a man or woman was challenging Mitch McConnell.

The only surefire way to right the course of this country is via the Democrats flipping the GOP Senate on November 3rd.

That, and abolish the filibuster.

While it's true most of them are 'safe' seats, it's the eight or nine that are close, teetering or already leaning blue they have to worry about. If they lose half of those they lose the senate. I only give it about 50-50 odds that will pan out.

true true, i know they will lose colorado and win alabama but the close ones are worth looking at

What do you all think is the most realistic prediction for Democrats?

48-52
49-51
50-50
51-49
52-48

AACl5hg.img

Without that, GOP Majority Leader 'Moscow' Mitch McConnell will ensure a Congressional stalemate and bottleneck for the next four years.

Related: Democrats say White House isn't budging in coronavirus relief stalemate

Today Trump is blaming the dems for the US Post Office issues. Next he will accuse the dems of dodging the Vietnam draft with fake bone spurs.

In the past, such lying projection would instantaneously blow up in republican faces but with their false information network oh so willing to help push such lies, some of it may stick.

What do you all think is the most realistic prediction for Democrats?

48-52
49-51
50-50
51-49
52-48

At this point, 51-49 dems... with a long way to go and a lot to happen between now and then.

The interesting thing is they're too scared of Trump to even do that.

They might be. But who else are the Trumpsters going to vote for? I believe the Rep candidates think Trump will not be reelected. So, piss-off a few constituents and last another 2-6 yrs and worry about it then.

Both previous times this nation's economy crashed (1929 and 2008), the President was a Republican. Earlier this year, the stock market crashed again. Again, our economy crashed with a Republican President. There is no reason to think for one second donkeys put America's economy in a Great Depression and Great Recession. It was always elephants.
Since when do presidents control government spending? Do we need civic lessons here?

Back
Top Bottom