• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Republican Party has gone Crazy

How many of you out there can bring yourselves to vote for the new Republican party in our next elec

• Yes

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
There will never be a wall at the Mexican border. It is crazy to even consider.

There will never be a concerted effort to stop illegal immigrants because Republicans don't want any legal immigrants. They do want that cheap illegal labor. They want it illegal where the workers are easier to control. Many businesses in America are addicted to it. Agriculture, food processing, hospitality, construction, landscaping and many others all need that labor.

Republicans just feed that Trump base the lies about how those illegal immigrants are the cause of their diminishing lifestyle. Nothing could be further from the truth. But it sure gets those Republicans votes.

The US is accepting applications for legal immigrants / asylums requestors from nearly all nations of the world.
To my understanding the process in general terms is:
  • The immigrant / asylum seeker goes to the nearest US embassy
  • Fills out the paperwork, exams (whatever the process requires)
  • Returns to his home and his life while the US immigration processes everything
  • Once accepted, travels to the US and begins his life in the US
The point isn't the details of the process. The point is that it is selection and acceptance of the immigrant / asylum seeker while in their native nation. Has this not been the case since Ellis island immigration processing closed down? Selection at the source nation, if you will.

Why is it that at the Southern border, immigrants / asylum requestor are admitted into the country until their case is processed?

It seems inconsistent, and isn't this process laid out in the immigration / asylum laws and regulations?

Having the immigrant / asylum seeker remain in Mexico until their case is adjudicated and they are accepted would seem to be inline with the rest of the world.

Unfortunately Dopey Joe Biden and the democrats don't respect that. They are just seeking to widen their preferred voting base of financially destitute and poorly educated individuals that they can control with government entitlements. That is really what DACA is all about.

Unfortunately Dopey Joe Biden and the democrats don't respect that. They are just seeking to widen their preferred voting base of financially destitute and poorly educated individuals that they can control with government entitlements. That is really what DACA is all about.

Right wing propaganda is very effective

Many of those are just opinion though... immigration, for instance. Social Safety Net?
Sort of agree. I believe that most republicans don’t buy into the Trump panic mode about immigration, but smell blood in the water with Biden’s recent actions. And of course, few of them would shred the social safety net if politically possible, but that won’t happen.

Rubbish. The asylum law only applies to those who go to a port of entry and request asylum legally. It does not apply to the illegals who sneak across the border. Biden has totally ****ed up the border and quite intentionally.
Wrong. The Refugee Act of 1980 allows anyone in the US to apply for asylum from within the US or at a border or port of entry, “irrespective of status.” So if they sneaked into the US, overstayed a visa, were here legally on say, a student or visitor visa, they can apply.

Wrong. The Refugee Act of 1980 allows anyone in the US to apply for asylum from within the US or at a border or port of entry, “irrespective of status.” So if they sneaked into the US, overstayed a visa, were here legally on say, a student or visitor visa, they can apply.
No. If they broke the law to get here then they can not legally request asylum.

If you don't know that it amounts to an invasion you are very ill informed...I live near the Texas-Mexican border border and it very much is an invasion.

What would I do??? For starters, finish the damn wall and put Trump's treaties back in place because they were working and what Senile Joe doing is clearly NOT!!!
“Trump’s treaties”? The law is the law. The US is obligated by our own laws and by treaties we ratified not to do what Trump wanted to do. If you don’t like the law or US adherence to the treaty, stop grumbling and change things. What Biden is doing could be wise or foolish, as there might be other ways to deal with large refugee migration, such as holding them in border camps for review of asylum claims. But people who complain seem to overlook the laws and treaties that govern US actions.

To be fair, I haven’t seen any mention of the law or treaties in the media, so it’s understandable that some of the public is confused about how the US is required to treat these migrants.

No. If they broke the law to get here then they can not legally request asylum.
That would be news to the thousands of people represented in cases I worked on for years, people who sneaked across the border or who arrived at airports with phony documents but applied for and received asylum. The law says one can apply for asylum, “irrespective of status.” It is designed to recognize the reality of people who may be running for their lives, and the corners they cut to travel.

That would be news to the thousands of people represented in cases I worked on for years, people who sneaked across the border or who arrived at airports with phony documents. The law says one can apply for asylum, “irrespective of status.” It is designed to recognize the reality of people who may be running for their lives, and the corners they cut to travel.
You are correct.

I thought about it and read a bit and recant my previous statement. Asylum seekers need not enter legally.

I am basically a stupid person and on top of that I have had a glass of wine. Forgive me. :)

You are correct.

I thought about it and read a bit and recant my previous statement. Asylum seekers need not enter legally.

I am basically a stupid person and on top of that I have had a glass of wine. Forgive me. :)
Oh come on. I see your wine and raise you the glass of Tequila in front of me. I had the advantage of holding a job that saw me review a lot of clains, hence my alleged expertise. To be fair, on occasion asylum seekers might be denied asylum - which can eventually lead to permanent residence and citizenship - as penalty for the illegal manner of their entry, but granted “withholding of deportation” status to protect them, though I think such moves would not withstand legal challenge.

“Trump’s treaties”? The law is the law. The US is obligated by our own laws and by treaties we ratified not to do what Trump wanted to do. If you don’t like the law or US adherence to the treaty, stop grumbling and change things. What Biden is doing could be wise or foolish, as there might be other ways to deal with large refugee migration, such as holding them in border camps for review of asylum claims. But people who complain seem to overlook the laws and treaties that govern US actions.

To be fair, I haven’t seen any mention of the law or treaties in the media, so it’s understandable that some of the public is confused about how the US is required to treat these migrants.
What do we know for certain????

Trump had the border under control.....Biden does not and we are facing an unprecedented invasion of foreign nationals coming here illegally.

That is the bottom line for me......

Joe, close the border again dumbass!!!

Wrong on your part. The only exception regarding inside the border has been Cuban refugees fleeing a brutal communist dictatorship.

What do we know for certain????

Trump had the border under control.....Biden does not and we are facing an unprecedented invasion of foreign nationals coming here illegally.

That is the bottom line for me......

Joe, close the border again dumbass!!!
Trump had no respect for the laws and treaties governing how these people were to be treated. Biden apparently does. Bottom line, change the law if you don’t like it.

Wrong on your part. The only exception regarding inside the border has been Cuban refugees fleeing a brutal communist dictatorship.
I worked on these cases for almost 20 years. Helped many people obtain asylum. The law is clear. You can apply for asylum while within the US, no matter what country you are from.

You name it and Republicans are on the wrong side.

My question is:

How many of you out there can bring yourselves to vote for the new Republican party in our next election?
There is the Trump Party and there is the Republican Party.

I worked on these cases for almost 20 years. Helped many people obtain asylum. The law is clear. You can apply for asylum while within the US, no matter what country you are from.
Not if you are here illegally.

I stopped voting Republican back after George W Bush's first term.

Not if you are here illegally.
As I mentioned, the law says one can apply for asylum, “irrespective of …status.” If not bound by confidentiality, I could give you case histories of some of the thousands of cases that came through my office for review, most involving people here illegally. Sec 208 (a) of the Act says that. Search for the Refugee Act of 1980 and it should come up at govinfo.gov

Perhaps that part of the law has changed, but I doubt it.

The republican party has been weak and leaderless for just over three decades. it's been more about career establishment republicans maintaining their seats or power base within the party then listening to the conservative voting base. Just trotting out the conservative party platform every four years at convention time and then shelving it for four years is not enough. In effect, the RINOs in the party created Trump.
I think we are at the point now where we should probably retire the idea that the GOP's voting base is all that "conservative".

I think we are at the point now where we should probably retire the idea that the GOP's voting base is all that "conservative".
I recall the RINOs saying pretty much the same in 2016.

... we don't vote for parties? We vote for individuals. While I share some of your general sentiment, that doesn't mean every member of the GOP is insane.
Which is BS because the "individual's", except for a small few, are only loyal to the party line.

Which is BS because the "individual's", except for a small few, are only loyal to the party line.
:) which is not at all BS, as the extent to which we want that v the extent to which the individual demonstrates it should inform our vote :)

Why do you think Joe Manchin hogs all the limelight for opposing ending the Filibuster, even though there are, like, 6 or so other Democratic Senators who do so? Because it's great free advertising for him in West Virginia.

Thanks for the chuckle this morning. 180° off.

So, Reps aren't more visceral and Dems aren't more professorial, etc? Then, what are each in such characteristics? I'm being specific. You're being off the top of your head. No detail.

Everyone knows Democrats carry the majority in the Senate via Kamala Harris, so this statement is a lie. Joe Manchin needs to walk on a tightrope every day because he lives in a burgundy state that is best known for toxic coal mines. But he also needs to do the right thing for voters who want to move away from dependence on coal for energy and get their support the next time he runs for Senate.

You don't understand the meaning of what I say. It's not a matter of Reps v Dems. It's a matter of Cons v everybody else. Manchin and Sinema side with the Reps as cons on issues that stymie the Dems, such as voter and civil rights. If anybody is lying, you're lying to yourself. Remember, Republican were once the "lib" party and Dems were the cons. The Dems were pro-slavery and anti-civil and voter rights, the Reps were opposite.

Back
Top Bottom