• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Republican Party has gone Crazy

How many of you out there can bring yourselves to vote for the new Republican party in our next elec

• Yes

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters

rickc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
You name it and Republicans are on the wrong side.

My question is:

How many of you out there can bring yourselves to vote for the new Republican party in our next election?

... we don't vote for parties? We vote for individuals. While I share some of your general sentiment, that doesn't mean every member of the GOP is insane.

... we don't vote for parties? We vote for individuals. While I share some of your general sentiment, that doesn't mean every member of the GOP is insane.

We I understand what you are saying about voting for the individual but what I see is all republican representatives vote the party line. If you vote for just about any republican representatives, local state or national, you are voting for all the craziness going on in the party. The trumpers have them held for ransom. If they go against them they wind up shunned like Liz Cheney.

The 2022 or 2024 election may come down to independents who’ll see a mugger robbing a woman at gunpoint, and finally see it for what it is rather than “two people bickering.”

Reps are more visceral while Dems are more professorial. Fear and threat (CT) are on the Reps side. Facts and numbers are on the Dems side. Emotion makes for human connection. Reps connect, Dems don't. Because Reps are highly reactive (emotional) the take action on practically everything that pushes a button. While Dems are analytic (impassive) they think about what is happening, which is what the Reps are doing, while Rome burns. And the Reps obstruct the fire brigade. And Biden won't end-around the filibuster, which would be emo-muscle flexing. Can't do that. And the Dems DON'T have a majority in the Senate, the CONSERVATIVES do and they're pumping iron.

I'm a center-left Democrat who has never voted for a Republican, so this probably doesn't apply to me, but I've thought about what a functional Republican Party might look like and how it might (in theory) win my vote. I wouldn't object to a Republican Party that focused on:
  • Promoting capitalism and democracy, at home and around the world.
  • Supporting free trade and immigration.
  • Opposing the NIMBY policies of big liberal cities and states, to reduce the cost of living.
  • Opposing stupid business regulations and government mucking around with the free market.
  • Supporting pro-natalist policies to increase America's fertility rate.
Unfortunately the kind of Republican Party that might appeal to me would probably have no chance of winning an electoral majority, because as I mentioned, I'm not a Republican. I doubt that the people who think Bill Gates is microchipping them and COVID is a Democratic hoax are going to have any interest in that agenda.

I'll be curious to see if it's "Dump Trump" or "Prevent the Steal" for the 2022 mid-terms.
I have a feeling a lot of Butt kissing Trump Rump governors wont hold their positions, and get the boot like Trump did for their lack of Covid precautions.

Not many people can take such a blatant disregard for human life.

Reps are more visceral while Dems are more professorial. Fear and threat (CT) are on the Reps side. Facts and numbers are on the Dems side. Emotion makes for human connection. Reps connect, Dems don't. Because Reps are highly reactive (emotional) the take action on practically everything that pushes a button. While Dems are analytic (impassive) they think about what is happening, which is what the Reps are doing, while Rome burns. And the Reps obstruct the fire brigade. And Biden won't end-around the filibuster, which would be emo-muscle flexing. Can't do that. And the Dems DON'T have a majority in the Senate, the CONSERVATIVES do and they're pumping iron.

Thanks for the chuckle this morning. 180° off.

We do vote for individuals, but that's besides the point. When you vote for a Republican in 2020, 2022, and 2024, you're getting a representative that must embrace/defend/cover for the worst president in modern history. There are only a handful of Republicans who actually distance themselves from Trump.

True. However, voting for a Republican house or senate candidate who isn't risks turning the Senate or House over to those who are.

I didn't vote for Mitch McConnell, but he runs the GOP in the Senate because of his party.

Party vote matters.

True, but the nutjobs are in control. I doubt they let many of the sane ones through.

I would not vote for any Reps who supported or continue to support Trump. I hear ads on the radio now for some politician in a different county (they are neighboring and have a really good country station that plays a truly diverse selection). These ads start with "<Candidate X> stands by President Trump".

Here is the problem with voting for the individual

State Republicans shun lawmakers critical of Trump and his big lie​

Anti-Trump Republicans are facing punishment back home. But don't call it a civil war.

Political parties are like culture. Culture is like a river, you can swim up it, but it doesn't change the flow of the river. Sure, there are people in the GOP that are not crazy or ridiculous, and I vote for Republicans for some office in practically every election, but the party as a whole has a flow to it that those outliers are not changing unfortunately.

One of the dangers of a party aligning itself with a religious identity, as is the case with the GOP and White Evangelicals, is that while you get some really good and decent people in political office like Asa Hutchinson for example, you also have a party that attracts sociopaths as sociopaths love to use religion as a way of manipulating people and gaining power, so you get people that lack any integrity at all like Mike Pence as well.

This is not to say there are not some nutjobs in the Democratic Party, as there are, but luckily, they control the party.

Last edited:
We I understand what you are saying about voting for the individual but what I see is all republican representatives vote the party line. If you vote for just about any republican representatives, local state or national, you are voting for all the craziness going on in the party. The trumpers have them held for ransom. If they go against them they wind up shunned like Liz Cheney.
The craziness generally isn't a matter of policy, though, but of obsequious servitude to an orange man-child currently sulking in Florida.

An example: in 2016, the Senator up for reelection from my state said that, if people didn't want to vote for Trump, then he didn't want them to vote for him. Okedoke, I took him at his word. That didn't require that my vote for Representative or State office be anything other than a reflection of my policy preferences.

Poor Character can absolutely disqualify a candidate, in my opinion, but it is not the only thing.

From The Stupid Party to the Willfully Stupid Party.

-sigh-

No, I cant vote for that.

You name it and Republicans are on the wrong side.

My question is:

How many of you out there can bring yourselves to vote for the new Republican party in our next election?
Guess a 100 million minimum . Like last year but more so

Where will the Dumbos get candidates from with so many of the old guard doing time ?

Political parties are like culture. Culture is like a river, you can swim up it, but it doesn't change the flow of the river. Sure, there are people in the GOP that are not crazy or ridiculous, and I vote for Republicans for some office in practically every election, but the party as a whole has a flow to it that those outliers are not changing unfortunately.

One of the dangers of a party aligning itself with a religious identity, as is the case with the GOP and White Evangelicals, is that while you get some really good and decent people in political office like Asa Hutchinson for example, you also have a party that attracts sociopaths as sociopaths love to use religion as a way of manipulating people and gaining power, so you get people that lack any integrity at all like Mike Pence as well.

This is not to say there are not some nutjobs in the Democratic Party, as there are, but luckily, they control the party.
I liked the post, but, think you are wrong about Mike Pence lacking any integrity - when the chips were down and the pressure the greatest, he did his job, at the cost of any future run himself, and at the cost of making himself an enemy of the only section of the electorate left that was likely to support him. That was after years of bending over backwards in slavish obedience to a man who was anathema to Pence's beliefs, sure, but, it still happened.

I think he lacks a lot of backbone, and am not a fan, but, I don't think I would say he lacks any integrity - he has, in one area, demonstrated that he does have some.

On the religious alignment: I mostly come to that discussion by focusing in on how terrible it is for the Church. Christians can serve faithfully in politics without having to try to push the Church into one Party or the other, and faithful Christians should probably have major problems with both parties when they mis-align with Biblical teaching. As someone who is both Christian and Conservative, I mourn for what Conservative Christianity has done :(

True, but the nutjobs are in control. I doubt they let many of the sane ones through.
:( They certainly seem to be. But the party itself is shockingly weak (a healthy party would never have allowed Trump to take over in the first place - just as the Democratic party was able to enforce discipline on it's candidates last presidential primary cycle); they may lack ability.

Back
Top Bottom