• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Red Cake

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So a new Italian bakery opened down the street and I want to have a look-see.
Popped in and the smell of butter creme dominated my nostrils.
They had cakes, cookies, artisan breads, crackers.... you name it. Well the only thing I really could afford and that I wanted to try (no nuts in it) was this red cake. I dont think I ever HAD red cake before. :roll: Anyhew, I plunked over my $3 and off I went. Back to my home in EAGER anticipation of eating the hell out of this creation from my new discovered, possibly evil, store. I opened the door jumped over the cats that have been waiting for me, rushed over to the drawer with my special thick fork, purchaced ONLY for special occasion as holding large steaks down.... or in this case, peeling off layers of cake and butter creme. My moutch watering, I quickly open the clear plastic container and toss the now obsolete lid to the side. I dig it! The fork enters the layers of creme and cake and I can feel resistance! This is no light fluffy pastry! I scoop out a corner and move the golf club-like fork into my pie-hole. It was.... realllllllllly good. Better than sex perhaps. Definately better than sex with any woman that is in the cast of Sex And The City (movies AND TV ;) )
So tonight my friends.... when you lie next to your partner in bed (for Standup Chuck it could be partnerS) think of me.... and the red cake.

Red Velvet cake? Holy crap. That stuff is like sex on a plate.

I don't really like it that much.

I used to let my kids pick any cake mix they wanted for their birthdays- you know, the boxed cake mixes in the grocery store, Duncan Hines or whatever- anyway, I'd let them pick the cake and the icing, and then I'd bake it, and they'd get to decorate it. We started this when they were around five and six.
One of my sons always picked that red velvet cake with white icing.
I think he just liked the color- red is his favorite color.
I've tasted it lots of times, but I must admit it doesn't do much for me.
Tastes kind of like chocolate (which I don't like) but blander.
Of course, that's boxed cake mix; maybe a real red velvet cake from scratch would taste different. I've looked up the recipe before; I believe it contains vinegar and some other weird things. I'm not sure I'd care for it.

My favorite desserts are pecan pie (which I know how to make) and king cake (which you can only buy around lent/ mardi gras).
I always buy a lot of them when they're available. I've got a whole bunch of those little plastic king-cake babies floating around the house. Can't bring myself to throw them away. :lol:

I love Red Velvet Cake! Next time try Italian Creme Cake!! Wonderful!!

Try king cake.
It's like the best cinnamon coffee cake imaginable. Better than a Cinnabon cinnamon roll.
A million layers of flaky pastry dough with gooey cinnamon in between them, plus thick white icing on top, plus yellow, green, and purple sugar sprinkles on top of that.
Plus a plastic baby that you can slip in between the layers of pastry, if you'd like someone in your family to choke to death or break their teeth out, plus king cake usually comes with three strings of plastic mardi gras beads that match the colors of the cake.

With all these great features, who could say no?

(Actually, it's very very sweet cake, and people who don't like it usually say it's too sweet. So if you don't like really over-the-top sweetness, it's probably not for you).

Last edited:
I like it ok but prefer cheesecake or chocolate eclair:)

Cake is ok, but pie is the bomb. Especially homemade pie. My favorite is blueberry pie with a scoop of Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream. Next favorite is key lime pie with a scoop of Blue Bell lime sherbert.

You know what else is better than cake. Iron skillet peach caramel cobbler topped with Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream........mmmmmmmmmm thats down home Texas good.

Cake is ok, but pie is the bomb. Especially homemade pie. My favorite is blueberry pie with a scoop of Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream. Next favorite is key lime pie with a scoop of Blue Bell lime sherbert.

You know what else is better than cake. Iron skillet peach caramel cobbler topped with Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream........mmmmmmmmmm thats down home Texas good.

Are you saying Al Quida has good taste? :lol: Actually I 100% agree with you!
ESPECIALLY blueberry I honestly rather have a blueberry pie than have sex. :peace

Try king cake.
It's like the best cinnamon coffee cake imaginable. Better than a Cinnabon cinnamon roll.
A million layers of flaky pastry dough with gooey cinnamon in between them, plus thick white icing on top, plus yellow, green, and purple sugar sprinkles on top of that.
Plus a plastic baby that you can slip in between the layers of pastry, if you'd like someone in your family to choke to death or break their teeth out, plus king cake usually comes with three strings of plastic mardi gras beads that match the colors of the cake.

yeah whats up with people putting in good luck charms and or prizes in food!? Dental work is EXPENSIVE!!!

Pecan pie is where its at:2party:

Made from scratch Red Velvet cake is one of my specialties! I still swear it was one of my best tactics I used when trying to woo my wife while we were just friends. It was her birthday and I made a Red Velvet cake for her, complete with homemade frosting! To this day her and the kids love it. In fact we just had a birthday for our now 10yr old and she wanted that cake but black, so we substituted black food coloring for the red and colored the frosting black as well.

I've never tried it from a box mix since my grandma taught me to make it from scratch. I'm afraid of the box, I've been spoiled for far too long.

Made from scratch Red Velvet cake is one of my specialties! I still swear it was one of my best tactics I used when trying to woo my wife while we were just friends. It was her birthday and I made a Red Velvet cake for her, complete with homemade frosting! To this day her and the kids love it. In fact we just had a birthday for our now 10yr old and she wanted that cake but black, so we substituted black food coloring for the red and colored the frosting black as well.

I've never tried it from a box mix since my grandma taught me to make it from scratch. I'm afraid of the box, I've been spoiled for far too long.

YOu gonna cough up the recipe man? :bringit

So a new Italian bakery opened down the street and I want to have a look-see.
Popped in and the smell of butter creme dominated my nostrils.
They had cakes, cookies, artisan breads, crackers.... you name it. Well the only thing I really could afford and that I wanted to try (no nuts in it) was this red cake. I dont think I ever HAD red cake before. :roll: Anyhew, I plunked over my $3 and off I went. Back to my home in EAGER anticipation of eating the hell out of this creation from my new discovered, possibly evil, store. I opened the door jumped over the cats that have been waiting for me, rushed over to the drawer with my special thick fork, purchaced ONLY for special occasion as holding large steaks down.... or in this case, peeling off layers of cake and butter creme. My moutch watering, I quickly open the clear plastic container and toss the now obsolete lid to the side. I dig it! The fork enters the layers of creme and cake and I can feel resistance! This is no light fluffy pastry! I scoop out a corner and move the golf club-like fork into my pie-hole. It was.... realllllllllly good. Better than sex perhaps. Definately better than sex with any woman that is in the cast of Sex And The City (movies AND TV ;) )
So tonight my friends.... when you lie next to your partner in bed (for Standup Chuck it could be partnerS) think of me.... and the red cake.

If you want to have a really good cake on the North Side of Chicago (I'm not sure where you are in Northern Illinois) , Check out the House of Cakes in Norwood Park.

Best cake I've ever had. If this place compares to there, it's one hell of a cake.

Red Velvet cake? Holy crap. That stuff is like sex on a plate.

red-velvet-pancakes-570x380.jpg

Red Velvet Pancakes | The Breakfast Cook

I've never had velvet cake before. I didn't even know it existed. How can this be?

Chocolate layer cake is my favorite, followed by berry pies. I am tied between blueberry and raspberry pies. When I was a kid and we visited my grandmother in Newfoundland, we'd go berry picking up on the hill side and then come home and make blueberry pie. I miss those days.

RIP nan.

Back
Top Bottom