• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Reason You're Mad at the NSA

It doesn't. It is scanning large data swaths to see who is ordering "nuclear hot pizza" from "Dominos in Pakistsan".

You mean they are good enough to pick out words from an e-mail or IM in real time but can't figure out that I'm calling Domino's?

Anyone mad at the NSA is missing the point. Don't be mad at the NSA for doing as they are supposed to and legally enabled to do. Be upset with your Congress, if you want to be mad at anyone.

Then again, given the incredibly low opinion of Congress as evidenced by polling, it seems we already are.

The Inspector General, CounterIntelligence, multiple layers of oversight within the NSA, the Congress, and the Judiciary. The NSA does not and should not publicly list its' programs for the simple enough reason that doing so would be abysmally stupid, however, funding for those programs is overseen by the Director of National Intelligence, who himself reports to both the President and the Intelligence Oversight Committees of both Chambers of Congress.

They are foreigners. They are not protected by EO 12333, nor the 4th Amendment to the Constitution. We can collect whatever we like on them, just as they do on us.

Yes. Which, however, does not obviate the fact that prior to Snowden the Congress and the Judiciary still had oversight over these programs.

:lol: you think the Executive is a single Entity :)

No. EO12333 is a form of oversight over the Intelligence Community :)

Yup.

Well, Congresscritters were told that they would have to do the reading themselves rather than have aides who no clearance do the work for them. It turns out that with the exception of the Intelligence Committee members, none of them were interested.

Then you have no idea what you are talking about, and should go google the words "Classified" as well as "Clandestine". You may also wish to look up "Intelligence".

Actually we can probably extrapolate some particulars and we do know the broad outlines. FISA courts (we have known this for some time) are required for oversight for collection on US Persons. Congressional approval was required to set this program up, and is required on an annual basis for it's continued line of funding. Within the program itself, NSA (in fact, all government) employees are monitored on all government systems - every action, every keystroke is recorded. Every time you sign on to a government computer you click on the little "yes I agree" button next to the "by the way be advised everything you do on this computer is being recorded in case you do something you shouldn't" warning. Individuals can definitely abuse their power, just as an individual cop could choose to pull out his gun and start shooting civilians. In both instances there are backups and failsafes to detect and stop them once they begin doing so.

:roll: What stops the President from ordering the Army to take over America? At some point you are going to have to accept that we have representatives who govern on our behalf, and we grant them the power to do so; choosing to grant that power in such a way as to have faction check and balance faction.

No, my argument boils down to "advertising your collection programs in the open makes them completely inneffective, and your agency incapable of performing its' congressionally mandated task of protecting American lives and interests. Your argument seems to boil down to not a critique of this program, but a critique of the existence of an intelligence community. Hey, guess what? You don't know what the CIA, the DIA, any of the military branch intelligence services, the NRO, the Treasury Department, the FBI, or any of the other portions of the Intelligence Community are doing either!!! Because it's a national secret, and the price for lost secrets is paid in the currency of American bodies.

:doh exposing a collection system, a set of collection requirements, or sources and methods is to deeply damage a collection program. If we broadcast to the bad guys "hey, if you post your stuff on Facebook we'll catch you, but not if you post your stuff on twitter", well, guess what? Bad guys will use twitter, collection will be useless, planning efforts will be successful.

Think about every old law court show you've ever seen. Matlock walks up to the guy and asks him "So, isn't it true that you claim to have had no contact with the deceased on the night of the murder?" and the guy says "that's correct". Then Matlock says "But isn't it true that records show that you made 5 10 minute phone calls to the deceased's phone on that very night?!?" and dramatic music plays and the jury looks shocked and the guy looks guilty and Matlocks client looks relieved.....

where the hell did you think Matlock was getting that information? Do you think that the police have been making phone records up for the past several decades? All this information has been collected and stored since you've had a telephone number.

That's a fascinating statement from someone who just a few lines above insisted that the entire American populace needs to be read-in the each collection program for purposes of "oversight".

This is a beautiful post.

The Inspector General, CounterIntelligence, multiple layers of oversight within the NSA....
Inspector General -- you mean this office.... within the NSA? Office of the Inspector General - NSA/CSS Should I really be pleased to know that the fox is guarding the chicken coop?

How am I supposed to know about the "multiple layers" within the NSA? Should I not be worried when a whistleblower says that all the restrictions are on a policy level, with zero technical enforcement?

In fact, I'd say that the apparent lack of discrimination in what the NSA collects is evidence, in and of itself, that oversight is not working very well. The scope of this program is astounding.

the Congress, and the Judiciary.
Again: Congress apparently only hears what the NSA wants to tell them. The FISA court operates in secret, and from the outside barely seems to be doing more than rubber-stamping requests. And again, combined with the scope of the programs, it's really not inspiring confidence in the idea of "oversight."

The NSA does not and should not publicly list its' programs....
Again, I don't need access to their databases. What's required are broad outlines, better oversight, and perhaps a bit of restraint when it comes to spying on, well, the entire planet.

They are foreigners. They are not protected by EO 12333, nor the 4th Amendment to the Constitution. We can collect whatever we like on them, just as they do on us.
Right. So anyone who isn't in the US has no rights whatsoever. Yeah, I can't see anyone getting upset over that, or coming back to bite the US at some future date....

you think the Executive is a single Entity
It's a single branch of government, yes. It's all operating under direction of the President. And ultimately, the program is run in secret, reviewed in secret, evaluated in secret. How would we know if there is any independent agency within the Executive branch that's checking on them? What motive would another Executive agency have to cross the NSA, by questioning their actions?

Well, Congresscritters were told that they would have to do the reading themselves rather than have aides who no clearance do the work for them. It turns out that with the exception of the Intelligence Committee members, none of them were interested.
Wow. Impressive oversight. I'm sure it's effective. I feel much better now.

Then you have no idea what you are talking about, and should go google the words "Classified" as well as "Clandestine". You may also wish to look up "Intelligence".
No, dude, I get the concept. I'm also well aware of how abusive domestic spying was in the not-so-distant past.

Not to mention there are a few notable instances of people getting their hands on classified data, and *cough* releasing it to journalists, without the NSA noticing in time to stop it. It certainly doesn't appear that the FISA courts or Congress are finding out about miscreants, nor is the general public hearing about it.

What stops the President from ordering the Army to take over America? At some point you are going to have to accept that we have representatives who govern on our behalf, and we grant them the power to do so; choosing to grant that power in such a way as to have faction check and balance faction.
I do accept it -- on the basis that ultimately, their actions should be accountable to the public. This is effectively impossible under the current system.

No, my argument boils down to "advertising your collection programs in the open makes them completely inneffective, and your agency incapable of performing its' congressionally mandated task of protecting American lives and interests. Your argument seems to boil down to not a critique of this program, but a critique of the existence of an intelligence community.
To an extent, yes. It's a critique based on past abuses, both domestic and international. IMO it is healthy to regularly review what the intelligence community does, and what we want them to do.

But at least with the CIA, the military, Treasury and so forth, we actually have an inkling of what they do, and can discuss whether their actions are appropriate. And in the past, we have decided to rein them in on at least certain types of domestic spying.

They also don't reap every single phone call, every email, every VOIP call and so forth. I.e. the scale of what the NSA might be doing definitely sets this into new territory.

I certainly shouldn't have to uncritically accept whatever policies the intelligence community thinks are "good for me," because they say so.

it's a national secret, and the price for lost secrets is paid in the currency of American bodies.
Wow. Would you like some hyperbole with your melodrama? ;)

Not to mention that we currently have no way to know if the program is actually doing anything beneficial. We basically have to take it on their word that it's thwarted all these terrorist threats. See how these kinds of things don't build a lot of confidence?

Think about every old law court show you've ever seen. Matlock walks up to the guy and.... (etc)
Matlock? Really? ;)

If knowledge of this data collection renders it useless, then why do we still use phone records, fingerprints, DNA, and other well-known forms of evidence to build cases against criminals?

If the system is so effective, then why didn't it catch the Tsarnaev brothers? Should we hold the NSA accountable for not finding that particular needle in that particular haystack?

That's a fascinating statement from someone who just a few lines above insisted that the entire American populace needs to be read-in the each collection program for purposes of "oversight".
*sigh*

Again, I'm not saying I need to know every single detail. I'm saying that this program is unprecedented in size and scope, and maybe if we had proper oversight, we would a) have a little more input on it, b) a little more knowledge of it, and c) the opportunity to decide if it's really worth it.

Anyone mad at the NSA is missing the point. Be upset with your Congress, if you want to be mad at anyone.
I'm not viewing these as mutually exclusive.

Let's not forget that the NSA was happy to engage in illegal surveillance before -- and that we only know a fraction of what they're doing.

I'm not viewing these as mutually exclusive.

Let's not forget that the NSA was happy to engage in illegal surveillance before -- and that we only know a fraction of what they're doing.

Spys? Happy to spy?

I'm shocked!:shock:

Well they wouldn't be much of a spy agency if we knew everything they were doing now would they? :)

You mean they are good enough to pick out words from an e-mail or IM in real time but can't figure out that I'm calling Domino's?

:shrug: I wouldn't know how extensively caller ID is plugged into it. I would wager that they have a list of bad guy phone numbers, and if you start calling those and using a bunch of code-words that are known to be associated with planning efforts, you start getting looked into and then they see if you call dominos or not. Storage of Data =/= Exploitation of Data

How am I supposed to know about the "multiple layers" within the NSA?

Intelligence oversight is a multilayered function in every member of the Intelligence Community. So, if you want, you could read the publicly available material which tells you so. Every supervisor is responsible for oversight of those that he manages, and is professionally and legally responsible for any failure to do so. For example, we once had a guy who did an illegal flight path for a UAV to find out if his wife was cheating on him (she was). His subordinate was legally required (or he would have been complicit and equally guilty) to report the possibility of an oversight violation, his boss was legally required to launch an invesetigation. Upon seeing the flight path, and he sent the guy up for charges and prosecution, and the guy lost all rank, went to jail, and the wife got the house.

Should I not be worried when a whistleblower says that all the restrictions are on a policy level, with zero technical enforcement?

Sure you should be. Until we learn (as we have) that said whistleblower is an idiot who apparently has little direct experience with the program he's pretending to be an expert on.

In fact, I'd say that the apparent lack of discrimination in what the NSA collects is evidence, in and of itself, that oversight is not working very well.

Then you would say wrongly, because the scope of collection that the NSA has engaged in was laid out before and blessed off by the leadership within the NSA, the Director of National Intelligence, two different Presidential administrations, both branches of Congress, and the Judiciary. There literally is not a branch of government that could have been brought in to provide oversight over this project that was not.

The scope of this program is astounding.

perhaps. All this information was already collected anyway, so perhaps I'm just less surprised that it's been made available for counter-terror purposes.

Again: Congress apparently only hears what the NSA wants to tell them. The FISA court operates in secret, and from the outside barely seems to be doing more than rubber-stamping requests. And again, combined with the scope of the programs, it's really not inspiring confidence in the idea of "oversight."

Oh. So your problem is less that this program is structured without oversight (which would be wrong) and more with the fact that you don't trust your elected representatives to function as such.

Again, I don't need access to their databases. What's required are broad outlines, better oversight, and perhaps a bit of restraint when it comes to spying on, well, the entire planet.

See, when you say that, you do so in a way that makes it seem like you have not done much work defining what you are actually talking about; but I'm ready to be convinced. Tell us what you want in terms of "broad outlines" and "better oversight". How about this? The NSA conducts signals intelligence. If it emits, the NSA will try to capture it and find out what it means. Unless it's a US person doing the emitting in which case those emissions are protected without a warrant and oversight from the other two branches of government (what Constitutional folks call "checks and balances").

Right. So anyone who isn't in the US has no rights whatsoever.

sure they do. All men created equal with inalienable rights to life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, etc. But as far as being collected on? Yes, the Intelligence Community is allowed to collect on foreign entities, subject to treaty considerations. Within the Intelligence Community, some members such as the FBI, the DEA, and the Treasury Department are allowed to collect on both foreign and domestic entities.

Yeah, I can't see anyone getting upset over that, or coming back to bite the US at some future date....

Who the hell did you think we collect on? Aliens? Orca Whales?

It's a single branch of government, yes. It's all operating under direction of the President.

:D oh I bet he wishes that were true.

In actuality, Presidents have at best low to mediocre control over the Executive Branch. They can issue Executive Orders, which have the force of law for all Executive Members, but the Executive Branch of government is better understood as a collection of competing fiefdoms with differing worldviews, priorities, and institutional incentives. It's actually quite difficult for a President to really say that everything is happening "under him" - the ability of myriad faceless bureaucrats to impede or halt his agenda is a pretty widely commented on phenomenon within studies of political science.

And ultimately, the program is run in secret, reviewed in secret, evaluated in secret.

Naturally. It's a secret program designed to do secret things in secret. There are a couple of words for making it "not secret". Those words are "Spillage", "Espionage" and "Treason", and all of them are punishable by law.

How would we know if there is any independent agency within the Executive branch that's checking on them? What motive would another Executive agency have to cross the NSA, by questioning their actions?

:lol: money, influence, and power, dude. Inter-agency rivalry is constant, and has often served as an impediment to the IC.

Wow. Impressive oversight. I'm sure it's effective. I feel much better now.

:shrug: both houses of Congress maintained oversight over and blessed this program. If the general membership turned out to be too lazy to show up to the briefings the NSA provided them, then your problem is not with the NSA, its with your congress.

No, dude, I get the concept. I'm also well aware of how abusive domestic spying was in the not-so-distant past.

Apparently you do not, as you seem to assume that the former is a synonym for the latter.

Not to mention there are a few notable instances of people getting their hands on classified data, and *cough* releasing it to journalists, without the NSA noticing in time to stop it.

yeah, isn't it interested how this agency that you are so sure is reading everything isn't even willing to abuse it's power for self defense?

It certainly doesn't appear that the FISA courts or Congress are finding out about miscreants, nor is the general public hearing about it.

what miscreants? do you have evidence that anyone in the NSA has exceeded their statutory authority an violated intelligence oversight? if so, you should immediately report it to the nearest inspector general with a top secret security clearance, so that these individuals can be prosecuted.

To an extent, yes.

then we have come to an impasse. the intelligence community is a vital part of national security, responsible for saving thousands and thousands of American lives and furthering American interests across the globe. It, like a military, is a necessary part of survival in the international arena, which is why every single major state has one.

IMO it is healthy to regularly review what the intelligence community does, and what we want them to do.

Agreed - and that is why we do so through the mechanism of the intelligence oversight committees.

But at least with the CIA, the military, Treasury and so forth, we actually have an inkling of what they do, and can discuss whether their actions are appropriate.

:doh The NSA is run by the DOD. It is part of the military intelligence community. That's why its' head is a General Officer.

You have no more knowledge of what these embers of the IC are doing than the NSA. The protections afforded to information of the same classification levels are pretty much uniform.

They also don't reap every single phone call, every email, every VOIP call and so forth. I.e. the scale of what the NSA might be doing definitely sets this into new territory.

:lol: Again, the NSA falls under the DOD.

Do you think maybe you should educate yourself about the IC before you decide to go Enemy Of The State on it?

I certainly shouldn't have to uncritically accept whatever policies the intelligence community thinks are "good for me," because they say so.

That is correct.

Wow. Would you like some hyperbole with your melodrama?

You're going to have to use that bit of triteness on someone who hasn't buried people due to intelligence failures. We don't live in Kant's world of universal freedom loving republics where everyone respects the rights of man. We live in the real world, full of mean, dirty, dangerous, and brutal actors who actively seek us harm.

Not to mention that we currently have no way to know if the program is actually doing anything beneficial. We basically have to take it on their word that it's thwarted all these terrorist threats. See how these kinds of things don't build a lot of confidence?

Publicizing intelligence collection efforts destroys those efforts. Destroying collection programs means that policy makers make less informed decisions, meaning that they make worse decisions and are unable to adequately responding to rising threats. Having policy makers that make less informed decisions and are unable to adequately respond to rising threats means that the interests and safety of the people of the United States is jeapordized, and the government has failed in its' constitutionally mandated task of providing for the common defense.

However, all classified information comes with a "declassify date", at which point it gets made publicly available upon review to ensure that there wouldn't be any kind of catastrophic effect on our friends (for example, if someone who spied for us in the Soviet Union is still living in Russia 30 years later, we won't publicize his name if we think it means that Putin would have him arrested, tortured, and killed).

Matlock? Really?

It's a good way to demonstrate the reality - all this stuff? It was already being collected and stored. For decades.

If knowledge of this data collection renders it useless, then why do we still use phone records, fingerprints, DNA, and other well-known forms of evidence to build cases against criminals?

Because (thankfully) criminals are A) stupid B) often bank on a failure to adequately collect which is a pretty good bet because it often occurs and C) criminals actually generally avoid these publicly known collection methods.

As an example, however, after 9/11 when it was just Special Forces running around on Horseback, we were tracking Osama bin Laden pretty well by his phone. He didn't know at the time that we had the ability to geolocate his phone, and so he was using it to relay commands to his forces in Afghanistan. We were about to nab him. That's when some idiot congresscritter went on live fricking national television and announced that he was confident we would get Osama bin Laden pretty soon because we were able to track the location of phones.

You already know the end of that story. He immediately dumped his phone, developed a phobia about electronic emitters, and it was another decade plus before we got him.

Public knowledge of collection capabilities encourages opponents of the United States of America to avoid those collection capabilities - that's why other states and even non-state actors also avoid our IMINT satellites. Everyone knows when they are overhead.

Capabilities sources and methods are among the most highly guarded of our secrets, because they are the secrets that allow us to actually function in intelligence.

If the system is so effective, then why didn't it catch the Tsarnaev brothers?

Think about that for a minute. If the system is so pervasive and ubiquitous, why didn't it catch the Tsarnaev brothers?

Again, I'm not saying I need to know every single detail. I'm saying that this program is unprecedented in size and scope, and maybe if we had proper oversight, we would a) have a little more input on it, b) a little more knowledge of it, and c) the opportunity to decide if it's really worth it.

Proper oversight was already being exercised over this program, and you have not exactly filled anyone with confidence that you have any grasp on the level of granularity that you even want, much less the cost/benefit associated with providing it to the public.

Well they wouldn't be much of a spy agency if we knew everything they were doing now would they? :)

Yeah, it's interesting. He seems to be sort of a living embodiment of the article in the OP.

I am not terribly mad at the NSA. They have a job and part of it is to push the boundaries of the restrictions placed upon them in an attempt to keep the US safe. It is like an attack dog that is let loose and mauls some innocent person. I am not mad at the dog for doing what it does. I am mad at the owner who let it out or the authorities who did not properly enforce laws keeping it secured.

Hell, I am not really mad at Obama or bush for using the opening to do their job. I am a bit dissapointed in Obama, but I always knew he was human and a politician and if you give them the authority to do something they are going to abuse it.

The people who I am bothered with are much different. I am obscenely pissed with the news media. It started with fix noise back under bush when they supported the laws which would obviously be used to silence political opponents. They championed things like the patriot act and made people so afraid some muslim was going to kill them and that giving up our protections to the most corrupt people in america would be a great idea. Now we have MSNBC taking up the BS and covering up for Obama when he does it. People rely on that information to be presented in a way they can understand that should have included the idea any government official or organization given this power with self oversight was going to involve the attack dog being let off the leash with no way to stop it. It is even worse the owners would be able to encourage the dog to attack anyone they did not like. The first people who were going to get bit were the reporters. We know the opponents would get screwed, but you can be damned sure that they spy on their puppets to make sure they are not cutting the strings or exposing any secrets also. The news media should have an essential distrust of any person in power, and they did not. Both sides of the media and everything in between should have been united in their attacks on this.

Then there is congress. What the hell were they thinking by overpowering the executive branch and limiting themselves and the judiciary? I understand being power hungry, but be power hungry for yourself at least. Giving someone else so much power over you personally is insane. Now they have the president and the NSA able to spy on them and force them into complying with the party if they are in the same party, or destroying them if they happen to get another president in their opposition. They destroyed their own privacy and the protections on their purchased media. How could they not see the end result of this?

I am also really pissed at the people who are being dragged into a anti-Bush or anti-Obama position when we should be anti-overwhelming executive powers. It does not matter which party is in charge. These powers were specifically forbidden and resented by the founders of our nation because no one can be trusted with them without a really tight leash and tons of oversight by things like the media and courts where people have rights. Yes, the authorities do have to have some power to investigate and stop or punish criminals or threats. There was a reason they had their hands tied while doing it, and that is because we know that the more power you give them the more of a threat to the people they are.

I don't expect the attack dog to leash itself. If anyone thought obama wasn't going to use the powers given to his position you are a moron. There is no chance in hell Mittens Romnifeller was going to not use something his position allowed him to use. Bush wasn't going to not use it. Whoever our next president is will not voluntarily decide to just not use these powers. This is why all the media needs to unite against it. This is why all US people need to demand that it be removed, and if the representatives are not going to do it we need to make a constitutional convention to remove these powers. This is why we also need to recognize no matter what the threat, it is an even larger threat to our nation to allow these people to have these powers without any restraint or transparency. People are going to have their lives destroyed and die both ways.

The article is pompous bull****. The NSA is filled with individuals who are as incompetent and corruptible as every other human being who walks on the earth. Giving someone the power to spy on people without oversight inevitably to leads to abuse. I am aware that transparency makes it harder for the intelligence community to do their jobs, however that is small price to pay to limit the potential corruption of power.

The dangers of unaccountable spying has been clearly demonstrated not only in places like the USSR, but even in the U.S. with Hoover's FBI. Lets not repeat history for once.

Exactly how many attacks and how many dead innocents would convince you that the program is needed? There must be some number that is unacceptable to you?
If it is abused we will deal with it. We need to make it clear we won't be left unguarded again. What good is being the #1 military power if we are helpless to prevent attack on our own citizens. That is the only acceptable use of this info.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't see anyone getting upset over that, or coming back to bite the US at some future date....

How upset are you, for example, at the Chinese or the French? France has systematically listened to the telephone conversations and cable traffic of U.S. persons, and the Chinese maintain SIGINT facilities in Cuba that target the US much in the same way that you seem to be upset about.

So, let me get this straight.

There's tons of oversight, that the public has no idea about, no way to verify, and should never hear about in the first place.

In the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, the Bush administration didn't use intelligence as a means of deciding policy; they decided the policy first, and then rifled through whatever intelligence supported their preferred policy goals. This is the branch of government that is apparently charged with "oversight" of the NSA.

The President doesn't really have a lot of power over the various departments of the executive branch, including the NSA. (Does this mean the President can't cancel PRISM?) But don't let that convince you that there's any problems with executive oversight. Everything's fine. Trust us.

We should also trust the NSA to primarily supervise itself, despite the fact that this doesn't always work out well. E.g. the military's self-monitoring structure has done a terrible job with handling sexual assaults; police departments rarely keep themselves in line; the financial sector clearly was not able to keep itself in check….

In 2004, the FISA court granted over 18000 warrants, required modifications on 200, and rejected 5. Meanwhile, the Supreme Court refused to hear cases on warrantless wiretapping, claiming that the defendants could not prove they had standing -- because the secrecy to which they object prevents them from finding out if they have standing. Congress, by the way, can't read FISA rulings. This is the "judicial review" of the NSA.

The programs are ultra-critical and highly effective, and people will die if we don't have them. But the public has no right to ask for proof of this claim, because it's all secret, and any information that gets out will wreck the entire program. Or so they say, but can't prove. Trust us!

Intelligence failures are also a good thing, because they prove that the NSA isn't omniscient. (At least, I think that's what you're getting at.)

The public are supposed to educate themselves about a community that doesn't want anyone to know what they do, and on programs that are intentionally kept secret from the public.

The public are supposed to express their opinions to their elected representatives about programs that the public don't even know exists, and the intelligence community doesn't want them to know about in the first place.

Or: When I vote for my Senator, I'm giving them carte blanche to approve whatever secret activities they want, even though I have no way to hold that elected official accountable for activities they approve that the public are prevented from knowing about.

We're supposed to put our trust into the NSA, despite the fact that the public pretty much has no idea what they're doing, who is the subject of surveillance, how that evidence is used, any instances when it has been misused, how they spend taxpayer dollars, and that in the past they've engaged in potentially illegal actions like wide-spread warrantless wiretapping. (And no, anecdotes like the pilot don't help much -- because how am I supposed to know about instances where someone's misbehavior didn't get reported?)

We are supposed to take it, on the authority of an agency that cannot and will not divulge any information, a court that appears to be rubber-stamping warrants, and a Congress that isn't paying attention to the bowdlerized reports they receive, that the NSA's programs are highly effective and worth ~$10 billion a year.

In order to qualify as a valid critic this system, a member of the public ought to have a detailed and granular analysis… of top-secret programs that the public isn't supposed to know exist. And anyone who reveals details of those programs without authorization can be punished with life in prison.

catch-22.jpg

I'm also going to repeat/clarify a key point here. The fact that the NSA is apparently gathering data on every communication in the US is, in and of itself, an indication of the failure of oversight and restraint -- across the board. This is akin to a government agent walking into my house every night, photocopying all my correspondence and papers, and telling me they're only putting it on file in case the NSA believes that I might correspond with a terrorist one day.

Nor does your personal comfort level with this level of mass scrutiny mean that everyone in the US is, or ought to be, comfortable with it.

On a side note: Bin Laden didn't ditch his sat phone because of a government leak about any abilities to track a phone. That's an urban legend. He ditched it a few days after Clinton fired a couple of cruise missiles at him. (File the Bin Laden Phone Leak Under 'Urban Myths')

So, yeah. Consider me to be highly skeptical, at least until evidence is provided, that this system is as effective as claimed.

Oh wait, I forgot. Any such evidence is classified, and providing enough information to the public to prove that it works will allegedly devastate the program -- another claim whose verification is thwarted by secrecy. Shucks. I guess I'll just have to trust the people who are apparently tracking every phone call I make, recording every email I send, storing every VOIP call, and doing dozens of other things I may never know about.

How upset are you, for example, at the Chinese or the French? France has systematically listened to the telephone conversations and cable traffic of U.S. persons, and the Chinese maintain SIGINT facilities in Cuba that target the US much in the same way that you seem to be upset about.
That's funny, I was going to ask you the same question. :mrgreen:

I'm not thrilled about it. But at least the Chinese government isn't built on the premise that it's accountable to American citizens. In turn, I expect my government and service providers to at least try and protect my private communications from foreign spying.

(Oh, wait. There is no such thing as a "private communication!" My bad.)

And I may be wrong, but I don't believe the Chinese or French governments have direct access to the majority of the Internet's infrastructure. Which, I guess, is why they allegedly hacked Gmail servers, to collect info on *cough* a limited number of individuals.

That's funny, I was going to ask you the same question.

Oh, well then I'll answer. Yup. That's about what I would expect. I think the French are a bit scurrilous because they are supposed to be allies and they do it explicitly to give to their private sector so that their businesses can have a relative advantage against ours, but I don't think that my rights are being violated because China collects on the United States.

I'm not thrilled about it. But at least the Chinese government isn't built on the premise that it's accountable to American citizens. In turn, I expect my government and service providers to at least try and protect my private communications from foreign spying.

But how can they? You demand that they publicize their attempts to do so, rendering those attempts impotent.

So, let me get this straight.

There's tons of oversight, that the public has no idea about, no way to verify, and should never hear about in the first place.

On the contrary - the layers of oversight that are applied to collection operations are public knowledge. The public knows what oversight goes on, it just doesn't know what all it is specifically oversight-ing.

The President doesn't really have a lot of power over the various departments of the executive branch, including the NSA. (Does this mean the President can't cancel PRISM?)

The President could cancel PRISM. It is institutional change that is nigh on impossible. The President lacks the ability to force people to do anything other than the letter of the law. So, for example, if President Obama wants to slow down oil permits, but every single member of the EPA wants to speed them up, then the EPA will probably succeed in its' corporate goal of speeding up oil permits, simply because they will ensure that they follow the necessary legal steps in minimum time. The same is true in the reverse - if the President wants to do something quickly, the ability of a bureaucracy to dig in its' heels is legendary.

We should also trust the NSA to primarily supervise itself, despite the fact that this doesn't always work out well. E.g. the military's self-monitoring structure has done a terrible job with handling sexual assaults; police departments rarely keep themselves in line; the financial sector clearly was not able to keep itself in check….

:shrug: I agree you need oversight and that's why I'm glad that the NSA has it.

In 2004, the FISA court granted over 18000 warrants, required modifications on 200, and rejected 5. Meanwhile, the Supreme Court refused to hear cases on warrantless wiretapping, claiming that the defendants could not prove they had standing

They didn't have standing because they were just assuming that they had been tapped. It's like if I lose hundred dollar bill and sue you on the assumption that you took it.

because the secrecy to which they object prevents them from finding out if they have standing. Congress, by the way, can't read FISA rulings. This is the "judicial review" of the NSA.

That is correct. The FISA is appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, and its' members go through the Senate Confirmation process.

The programs are ultra-critical and highly effective, and people will die if we don't have them. But the public has no right to ask for proof of this claim, because it's all secret, and any information that gets out will wreck the entire program.

:shrug: that is told badly, but not inaccurate in its' general thrust. Lots of what goes on to protect you, you will never know about in real-time, or even for many, many years afterwards.

Or so they say, but can't prove. Trust us!

No, trust the checks and balances that our Founders wrote into the Constitution.

Intelligence failures are also a good thing, because they prove that the NSA isn't omniscient. (At least, I think that's what you're getting at.)

No. Intelligence failures such as the boston bombers indicate that hyperventilated orwellian everybody-'s-getting-listened-to-my-phones-are-all-tapped depictions of this program are false.

The public are supposed to educate themselves about a community that doesn't want anyone to know what they do, and on programs that are intentionally kept secret from the public.

The public is not supposed to educate itself on the secret programs undertaken under the proper unclassified authorities granted through the Constitutional Process. The public is not in the habit of performing governance, it hires Representatives instead to do that on its' behalf.

We're supposed to put our trust into the NSA, despite the fact that the public pretty much has no idea what they're doing, who is the subject of surveillance, how that evidence is used, any instances when it has been misused, how they spend taxpayer dollars, and that in the past they've engaged in potentially illegal actions like wide-spread warrantless wiretapping. (And no, anecdotes like the pilot don't help much -- because how am I supposed to know about instances where someone's misbehavior didn't get reported?)

I think it's interesting that you go straight back into sources and methods when you claim hat you don't have any idea what they are doing, but then turn around and insist that you only want "broad outlines" when it is pointed out to you how irresponsibly dangerous making that kind of information public is. The broad outlines of the NSA - their mission set, the titles they operate under, the authorities they operate under, and the oversight placed over them are already public knowledge and have been for years.

We are supposed to take it, on the authority of an agency that cannot and will not divulge any information

Again we get that confusion between "any" and "classified".

In order to qualify as a valid critic this system, a member of the public ought to have a detailed and granular analysis… of top-secret programs that the public isn't supposed to know exist. And anyone who reveals details of those programs without authorization can be punished with life in prison.

and again with the confusing of IC structure and programs.

I'm also going to repeat/clarify a key point here. The fact that the NSA is apparently gathering data on every communication in the US is, in and of itself, an indication of the failure of oversight and restraint -- across the board. This is akin to a government agent walking into my house every night, photocopying all my correspondence and papers, and telling me they're only putting it on file in case the NSA believes that I might correspond with a terrorist one day.

It is already going on file and has been since you were knee high to a grasshopper. This isn't the equivalent of the government photocopying your correspondence, its' the government having a deal with your postman of "hey, if he mails a suspiciously thick package to Mr Osama Bin Blowing Up Americans, let us know". The postman was already handling your traffic, so he already knew. The information is simply now made available to a program which scans point-to-point information (not content) for evidence that you're about to start killing Americans.

Nor does your personal comfort level with this level of mass scrutiny mean that everyone in the US is, or ought to be, comfortable with it.

:shrug: I didn't say I"m comfortable with it - I'm not. I think the program has immense possibility for abuse, just as the complexity of the tax code does. But I think that if we are going to discuss the potential pitfalls of our FISA courts, the PATRIOT act, etc., then as responsible citizens who claim the ability to self-govern like adults, we should discuss them as they are rather than hyperventilating about black helicopters and the like.

So, yeah. Consider me to be highly skeptical, at least until evidence is provided, that this system is as effective as claimed.

Oh wait, I forgot. Any such evidence is classified, and providing enough information to the public to prove that it works will allegedly devastate the program -- another claim whose verification is thwarted by secrecy. Shucks. I guess I'll just have to trust the people who are apparently tracking every phone call I make, recording every email I send, storing every VOIP call, and doing dozens of other things I may never know about.

Yup. Welcome to representative government. They also claim the right to seize your property and kill you. Vote Wisely.

Oh, well then I'll answer. Yup. That's about what I would expect. I think the French are a bit scurrilous because they are supposed to be allies and they do it explicitly to give to their private sector so that their businesses can have a relative advantage against ours, but I don't think that my rights are being violated because China collects on the United States.
So do be clear: Do you believe that privacy rights of any sort exist? Should every person's life be an open book to every government on the planet?

But how can they? You demand that they publicize their attempts to do so, rendering those attempts impotent.
"Security through obscurity" isn't the only viable approach. E.g. a router manufacturer that uses open source code can actually be more secure than one using closed/proprietary code, since no one is able to look for backdoors in the latter.

In addition, lots of security methods are publicly known. Airport and border security protocols are public, and for that very reason are still effective. Public knowledge acts as a deterrent against those types of unauthorized access.

Hidden methods of investigation and protection can work -- until they are actually utilized. For example, Roche manufactured a variant of the drug EPO a few years ago called CERA. Knowing that the drug was new, a few cyclists assumed there wouldn't be a test for it, used it, and got popped -- because it turned out that Roche secretly assisted in the development of a test for CERA. Once they were busted, though, cyclists knew not to use CERA and/or unscrupulous doctors worked on ways to mask its use.

And ultimately, I'm not saying "let's not have any secrecy or security." I'm saying that a) blanket surveillance of every American citizen is way out of line, and b) I'm not satisfied or confident in the current methods of oversight, in part because it hasn't stopped the NSA from conducting massive surveillance of millions of innocent people.

The President could cancel PRISM. It is institutional change that is nigh on impossible. The President lacks the ability to force people to do anything other than the letter of the law....
And this is the oversight in which you have placed your faith?

I agree you need oversight and that's why I'm glad that the NSA has it.
And yet, many of your comments undercut any oversight not performed by the NSA. Again: You're saying that the NSA does a great job policing itself, but it's not clear that the NSA actually reports any internal violations to the FISA courts or Congress. You're also saying that the bureaucracies are capable of getting what they want in the face of Presidential opposition.

You also haven't addressed the apparent rubber-stamp nature of the FISA courts, nor do you seem too upset over the SCOTUS refusing to perform judicial review. And it's not clear yet what Congress actually knows about the programs, whether they work, why they still fail, or how Congress can hold anyone accountable when there is an intelligence failure or instances of abuse.

They didn't have standing because they were just assuming that they had been tapped. It's like if I lose hundred dollar bill and sue you on the assumption that you took it.
It's not that they don't have standing. It's that the plaintiffs don't know whether or not they have standing, and the secrecy laws that they are trying to put under review prevent them (and the court) from determining whether they have standing. It's yet another Catch-22.

Intelligence failures such as the boston bombers indicate that hyperventilated orwellian everybody-'s-getting-listened-to-my-phones-are-all-tapped depictions of this program are false.
I think you're underestimating what they can do with the metadata. (e.g. Phew, NSA Is Just Collecting Metadata. (You Should Still Worry) | Wired Opinion | Wired.com)

More importantly: How do we know they aren't storing the content of voice calls? Or that it won't do so in the near future? We don't. Per your own stipulations, the public not only doesn't know, it shouldn't know, for its own good, if the NSA is storing voice call content.

By the way, if it turned out that the NSA was indiscriminately capturing and storing voice call content, would that cross a line? Or would that be acceptable, too?

The public is not supposed to educate itself on the secret programs undertaken under the proper unclassified authorities granted through the Constitutional Process. The public is not in the habit of performing governance, it hires Representatives instead to do that on its' behalf.
True. But the basic concept is that ultimately, the elected representatives are supposed to be accountable to their constituents. This is subverted by those representatives allowing the government to spy on citizens, as well as keeping the program secret. How can I evaluate the performance of a legislator if I have no idea what he or she is doing?

I think it's interesting that you go straight back into sources and methods when you claim hat you don't have any idea what they are doing, but then turn around and insist that you only want "broad outlines" when it is pointed out to you how irresponsibly dangerous making that kind of information public is.
Again: What you're missing is that the public has no way to evaluate whether these programs work in the first place, let alone if discussing them is "irresponsibly dangerous."

I mean, really. Am I supposed to take the NSA at its word, when it says that exposure will render their methods useless?

Another issue (as yet not mentioned) is that half the danger of terrorists is the direct damage they do to the nation. The other half is the damage they've caused us to do to ourselves. Knocking down the Twin Towers was an awful incident and caused significantly harm. Encouraging the United States to indefinitely detain citizens on the basis of mere accusations, kidnapping foreign nationals right off the streets, sending suspects to nations that practice torture, setting up prisons offshore to explicitly avoid giving suspects due process, provoking the US to attack a sovereign nation that apparently wasn't a threat to the US, and licensing the government to spy on all its citizens are indirect forms of harm. Terrorists have basically goaded us into abusing rights, outraging Muslims around the world, and alienating our allies.

I.e. The dangers here extend beyond the immediate threat of harm to citizens.

The broad outlines of the NSA - their mission set, the titles they operate under, the authorities they operate under, and the oversight placed over them are already public knowledge and have been for years.
But again, the fact that they are collecting massive amounts of data on American citizens isn't public knowledge because of the oversight procedures. It's because of whistleblowers -- or in your terms, "traitors." Should the public even know those broad outlines?

It is already going on file and has been since you were knee high to a grasshopper.
The Internet didn't exist when I was an infant. ;) Nor does longevity of such programs prove that they are valid, legal, effective, beneficial or what the public actually wants.

This isn't the equivalent of the government photocopying your correspondence, its' the government having a deal with your postman of "hey, if he mails a suspiciously thick package to Mr Osama Bin Blowing Up Americans, let us know".
If it was that targeted, and if the request to examine OBL's packages were authorized with a specific warrant by a court that doesn't rubber-stamp, then your example would apply.

From what little we know, the current phone metadata program is more like taking every envelope that passes through the US Postal Service, entering the sender and recipient's information into a database, and keeping that information on file for eternity. I definitely do not expect the USPS to know what size shoes I order from Zappo's.

Plus, the true scope of PRISM is still unclear, but it seems to be a lot more intrusive than the metadata program.

I didn't say I"m comfortable with it - I'm not.
You hide it very well, then. ;)

I think that if we are going to discuss the potential pitfalls of our FISA courts, the PATRIOT act, etc., then as responsible citizens who claim the ability to self-govern like adults, we should discuss them as they are rather than hyperventilating about black helicopters and the like.
Nothing I've said here indicates any sort of personal paranoia, impending tyranny or conspiracy theories. I'm not worried that the current Presidential administration, or the next one, will use this information to round up millions of critics and throw them in jail. I don't doubt that the intention is to improve security.

The problem is that the oversight is apparently insufficient to prevent the NSA from indulging in a massive domestic spying effort, and the endemic secrecy prevents us from having a real discussion about what should define the functions of domestic surveillance.

It's like my doctor telling me I have cancer, and that I need to undergo painful and expensive and potentially fatal procedures to remove it -- but I don't have the right to ask any questions about the procedures, or their effectiveness, or the nature of the cancer, or question the doctor's credentials or competence, or ask about any conflicts of interest the doctor might have, because to do so will jeopardize the procedure.

I should have the choice to put unlimited trust in the doctor's decisions. But I should also have the right to ask what the heck is going on.

So do be clear: Do you believe that privacy rights of any sort exist? Should every person's life be an open book to every government on the planet?

:shrug: I think when you send out information, people who require access to information will seek to intercept it. If you wish to live your life on teh interwebz, guess what? Your life (much of it) becomes an open to book to every government, company, and motivated individual who wishes to spend any time or effort on you. I agree that privacy rights matter, which is why I'm glad that this program does not (as you suggested) copy and read through all our content, but rather records our point-to-point for communications with dangerous individuals. It's the difference between knowing who you call, and knowing what you say. That's why I"m also glad that we have judicial and congressional oversight over these programs, so that there is a check/balance to pull them back.

"Security through obscurity" isn't the only viable approach. E.g. a router manufacturer that uses open source code can actually be more secure than one using closed/proprietary code, since no one is able to look for backdoors in the latter.

:doh that has... almost zero application when it comes to protecting classified information. You want the government to engage in Computer Network Defense on your behalf? Okay, but they can't do it if they advertise publicly their methods.

In addition, lots of security methods are publicly known. Airport and border security protocols are public, and for that very reason are still effective.

....no. Airport and border security methods are both known and unknown, and the known ones are thus routinely circumvented.

Public knowledge acts as a deterrent against those types of unauthorized access.

11 million illegal immigrants might beg to differ.

Hidden methods of investigation and protection can work -- until they are actually utilized. For example, Roche manufactured a variant of the drug EPO a few years ago called CERA. Knowing that the drug was new, a few cyclists assumed there wouldn't be a test for it, used it, and got popped -- because it turned out that Roche secretly assisted in the development of a test for CERA. Once they were busted, though, cyclists knew not to use CERA and/or unscrupulous doctors worked on ways to mask its use.

Gosh, so, you mean, CERA secretly developing a test helped bust dopers, but once the test became public knowledge dopers stopped using CERA? Color me shocked.

And ultimately, I'm not saying "let's not have any secrecy or security."

No, you are simply suggesting that we make it impotent. Like arming the military with Nerf guns instead of carbines. "Hey, I'm not saying we don't have any military"...

I'm saying that a) blanket surveillance of every American citizen is way out of line, and b) I'm not satisfied or confident in the current methods of oversight, in part because it hasn't stopped the NSA from conducting massive surveillance of millions of innocent people.

A) the NSA has neither engaged in blanket surveillance nor done anything that is way out of line and B) you aren't going to get much better oversight. Turning a FISA court into a competitive enterprise with an advocate might be a good idea, but that doesn't really change the scope of oversight. All three branches have visibility over this - unless you are arguing for either A) a reduction in oversight or B) creating a fourth branch of government there really isn't anywhere to go from here in terms of "better" oversight.

I think when you send out information, people who require access to information will seek to intercept it.
But who "requires" my email and phone metadata, when I haven't been accused of any crimes whatsoever?

If you wish to live your life on teh interwebz, guess what? Your life (much of it) becomes an open to book to every government, company, and motivated individual....
If it's something I type into a web forum or Twitter, then you are absolutely correct. If I'm typing an email or doing a Skype call, I expect the company which provides the service will have access to that info -- as outlined in and bounded by their privacy policy. I know I run the risk of any unencrypted communication being intercepted by someone acting illegally. If the government gets a warrant specifically for my data, then I'm basically an open book, and probably won't know it.

That does NOT mean that every government or company or motivated individual on the planet has a legal right to access all of my data and communications.

I agree that privacy rights matter, which is why I'm glad that this program does not (as you suggested) copy and read through all our content, but rather records our point-to-point for communications with dangerous individuals.
Let's be clear on a few points here.

• Yes, the NSA is collecting phone metadata, not content.
• However, phone metadata in and of itself can reap huge amounts of info.
• We don't have a lot of details on PRISM.
• I have no way of knowing whatsoever what the NSA is doing with any information it has on me.

I do not want to indulge in conspiracy theories, but ultimately: We don't know what we don't know. And the NSA is doing everything it can to make sure the public doesn't know anything.

Gosh, so, you mean, CERA secretly developing a test helped bust dopers, but once the test became public knowledge dopers stopped using CERA? Color me shocked.
The point is that shielding a security method pretty much only works once, until someone gets caught. After that, it isn't much of a secret anymore. And yet, it still has some effect.

No, you are simply suggesting that we make it impotent. Like arming the military with Nerf guns instead of carbines. "Hey, I'm not saying we don't have any military"...
What I'm saying is that the public has no way of evaluating its efficacy in the first place. You keep insisting that it's effective, and that discussing it publicly will render it useless, and that People Will Die!!! if we describe any aspect of the program, but you can never prove any of your claims to a private citizen. (Or at least, not without violating a raft of secrecy laws in the process.)

This is an organization so obsessed with secrecy that it redacts huge swaths of material issued by its own Public Affairs Office.

We also get inklings of problems, such as innocent people erroneously put on the No-Fly List. What happens if the NSA believes that Citizen X is a terrorist, and they are innocent? Does someone get held accountable for any legal complications that befall Citizen X?

Claims about the efficacy and necessity of these kinds of programs are wholly unconvincing to someone who doesn't have blind faith in the NSA, and are not impressed with what appears to be rather weak (and/or unprovable) oversight.

A) the NSA has neither engaged in blanket surveillance....
• Why doesn't capturing the metadata on pretty much every single phone call in the US qualify as "blanket surveillance?"
• How is the public supposed to know what else they are doing?

nor done anything that is way out of line
• Again: How on earth is the public supposed to know whether or not the NSA has gotten out of line?
• How are the FISA courts supposed to know if the NSA has gotten out of line? Do the judges discuss any abuses by NSA staffers in court? Do they consult with the IG? Have they denied any warrants on the basis of past abuses?
• How does Congress know if the NSA has gotten out of line? Does the Senate Intelligence Committee have an independent agency that supervises the NSA, CIA and other intelligence agencies?

you aren't going to get much better oversight.
I'm sorry, but the alleged conduct of the FISA courts, and your own comments beg to differ. In the course of this thread:

• I've repeatedly mentioned how the FISA courts appear to be rubber-stamping requests. So far, you haven't presented any contrary evidence. (To be fair, if you had any contrary evidence, presumably you couldn't share it....)
• You've suggested that Congress can't be bothered to show up for briefings.
• You've indicated that the President's ability to thwart a bureaucracy is limited, and that other branches of government will take on the NSA only if they gain some sort of advantage as a result.
• You haven't quite grasped that to me, the fact that the NSA is collecting so much metadata, and that who knows what they're gathering with PRISM, sure looks like a failure to exercise restraint and a failure of oversight.

Turning a FISA court into a competitive enterprise with an advocate might be a good idea, but that doesn't really change the scope of oversight. All three branches have visibility over this - unless you are arguing for either A) a reduction in oversight or B) creating a fourth branch of government there really isn't anywhere to go from here in terms of "better" oversight.
I will admit that, at this moment, I do not know precisely how to improve oversight. A great deal of this is because as a private citizen, the entire government is doing everything it can to ensure that private citizens have no say in the matter whatsoever.

And no, this isn't due to a lack of intellect on the part of any critics. It's because the critics are put at a significant informational disadvantage. An entity that has not earned our trust, that structurally cannot earn our trust, and definitely doesn't trust any of us, demands our trust. You really should not be surprised when people react negatively to this situation.

I'm not mad at the NSA they are an agency of the Federal government tasked with inteligence gathering, and they are simply pursuing their job functions.

I am mad at Congress for passing legislation which allows agencies like the NSA to spy on us secretly or otherwise.

I am mad at every President who provided executive orders instructing such agencies to do this kind of work and those cabinet appointees who were involved in advising those President's it was a good idea.

I am mad at our Judiciary, particularly SCOTUS, for allowing the existence of a secret court empowered to issue secret search and arrest warrants, and authorize secret detentions.

Back
Top Bottom