• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Real Story Behind the Cheney Shooting

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
While everyone is still laughing over Cheney's hunting prowess, or to be more precise, a lack of it, the real story about his adventures in hunting is beginning to be made public.

Katherine Armstrong, the owner of the ranch where Cheney vacationed, is a registered lobbyist, and guess who she is paid to lobby? The White House. While Armstrong has never lobbied Bush or Cheney directly, she has lobbied White House staff, and President Bush vacationed at the ranch as well when he was Governor of Texas.

While no law was broken, and Armstrong stopped her lobbying activities for Baker Botts, the firm that she was paid $160,000.00 per year to represent, she is still a registered Washington lobbyist, and there can be no doubt that creating even an appearance of impropriety during a time when the Democrats are making an issue of corruption is a very dumb move.

Article is here.

I guess I'm ignorant, why is this significant?

Umm
So Dick Cheney was spending time with campaign donors...Is there any politician in the world that has never done that? How does this create the "appearance of impropriety"?

Ditto................ sheesh Dan!:doh

Got to hand it to you, dana. You never stop looking for the one item that will put you folks back in power. Hey, I think this just might be it. Shout it loud and proud, my friend. QuailGate 2006 will be the key to victory.

I've been a gun sportsman all my life, but people from other countries think Americans are gun crazy obsessed with a macho need to have gun power. You can see where they get that opinion when even our vice president shoots someone! Only in America can we see no relationship between gun deaths and gun crime and guns! Next there will be no relationship between drug addiction and drugs! How about you! I believe in protecting our right to own guns, but the NRA is irrational to the point of losing support for our right to keep and bear arms.

OK NRA members, time to give me the :gunner: :roll:

Mr. D said:
I've been a gun sportsman all my life, but people from other countries think Americans are gun crazy obsessed with a macho need to have gun power. You can see where they get that opinion when even our vice president shoots someone! Only in America can we see no relationship between gun deaths and gun crime and guns! Next there will be no relationship between drug addiction and drugs! How about you! I believe in protecting our right to own guns, but the NRA is irrational to the point of losing support for our right to keep and bear arms.

OK NRA members, time to give me the :gunner: :roll:

There has never been any credible evidence that gun control laws reduce gun crimes. None.

Kandahar said:
Umm
So Dick Cheney was spending time with campaign donors...Is there any politician in the world that has never done that? How does this create the "appearance of impropriety"?
It gets dumber...

CNN said:
Armstrong said Cheney was firing a 28-gauge shotgun, a small-bore weapon commonly used for hunting birds. Cheney has come to her ranch to hunt quail once a year for at least 15 years, and she called him "a very conscientious hunter."
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/12/cheney/index.html

Last I checked, Cheney wasn't accepting "campaign donations" for the last 15 years...

He's was the Secretary of State until 1993...Secretaries of State do not need "campaign donations"...

Neither do CEO's of a private company, which he was from 1995 until 2000...

So I guess when he went from "private citizen" to "government official", he has to turn to his friends and say, "I can't hang with you anymore...It might look bad."...:roll:

Don't worry...A different "Real Story" will come out later...:roll:

Let's not forget that the last time Cheney made "hunting" news was when he invited Justice Scalia to go shooting right after the Supreme Court granted certiorari on a case regarding whether Cheney could keep secret the membership of his energy task force.

Awww, isn't that special?

Question....If this had turned out Badly.......:

" HOUSTON - The Texas lawyer accidentally shot by US vice president Dick Cheney during a weekend quail hunt suffered a minor heart attack today when some of the birdshot migrated close to his heart, a hospital spokesman said.

Harry Whittington, 78, has been moved into intensive care and will have to stay in the Corpus Christi, Texas hospital where he is being treated for at least another seven days to monitor his condition, said Christus Spohn Memorial Hospital spokesman Peter Banko.

Dr David Blanchard, the hospital's emergency room chief, said at a news conference Whittington underwent cardiac catheterisation after doctors noted an irregular heartbeat due to a minor heart attack.

"We are very, very optimistic that with Mr Whittington's strong heart ... he will do very well," Blanchard said. "

.....And this man had died of a heart attack....would Cheney face Manslaughter charges?

tecoyah said:

" HOUSTON - The Texas lawyer accidentally shot by US vice president Dick Cheney during a weekend quail hunt suffered a minor heart attack today when some of the birdshot migrated close to his heart, a hospital spokesman said.

Harry Whittington, 78, has been moved into intensive care and will have to stay in the Corpus Christi, Texas hospital where he is being treated for at least another seven days to monitor his condition, said Christus Spohn Memorial Hospital spokesman Peter Banko.

Dr David Blanchard, the hospital's emergency room chief, said at a news conference Whittington underwent cardiac catheterisation after doctors noted an irregular heartbeat due to a minor heart attack.

"We are very, very optimistic that with Mr Whittington's strong heart ... he will do very well," Blanchard said. "

.....And this man had died of a heart attack....would Cheney face Manslaughter charges?

I do not believe so. I watched Dan Abrams this morning and he had Texas attorneys addressing this very issue. The attorney said that there are four levels of intent that would be considered. I can't remember them, but when I heard them, I thought, "Nope. He won't get charged." I believe the attorney said that as well (I was in the process of blowdrying my hair, so I missed part of it. ;)).

Cool....and thanx....I was just curious.

tecoyah said:

I highly doubt it. From everything the media has reported on it, it sounds like an honest mistake.

Kandahar said:
I highly doubt it. From everything the media has reported on it, it sounds like an honest mistake.
Come on now, don't squash the liberal balloon. Let them have their dream.

What dream KCC? Who from the left is saying Cheney did it on purpose? Your blind partisanship is as bad as theirs.

Binary_Digit said:
What dream KCC? Who from the left is saying Cheney did it on purpose? Your blind partisanship is as bad as theirs.

It's the pot calling the kettle "black." Some people don't embarass to easy do they?:3oops:

Let's not forget that the last time Cheney made "hunting" news was when he invited Justice Scalia to go shooting right after the Supreme Court granted certiorari on a case regarding whether Cheney could keep secret the membership of his energy task force.

Yep, sounds suspicious to me. Cheney must have sent some bribery ducks back with Scalia since the eventual ruling was 7-2 in favor of Cheney.

I'm guessing that Ginsburg and Souter either don't like roast duck or are secret PETA members since they didn't vote with the majority.

Gill said:
Yep, sounds suspicious to me. Cheney must have sent some bribery ducks back with Scalia since the eventual ruling was 7-2 in favor of Cheney.

I'm guessing that Ginsburg and Souter either don't like roast duck or are secret PETA members since they didn't vote with the majority.

Gill, the judge in the case involving DeLay was removed because he had contributed to a democratic group. Any evidence of impropriety should cause a judge to be removed. That whole thing was a disgusting display of arrogance on both Cheney and Scalia's part.

aps said:
I do not believe so. I watched Dan Abrams this morning and he had Texas attorneys addressing this very issue. The attorney said that there are four levels of intent that would be considered. I can't remember them, but when I heard them, I thought, "Nope. He won't get charged." I believe the attorney said that as well (I was in the process of blowdrying my hair, so I missed part of it. ;)).

Depends on whether or not alcohol played a part in what happened.

If Mr. Whittington dies, there would most likely be a grand jury investigation. While such investigations are routine, this one might prove embarrassing to Cheney, because the fact that there was beer drinking at a picnic prior to the shoot would become a factor. This was originally reported by MSNBC, then all references to alcohol were suddenly scrubbed from the article, including this quote from Armstrong, the lobbyist and host of the shoot:

"There may be a beer or two in there, but remember not everyone was shooting."

Who was drinking, who was shooting, and were any of the shooters drinking before the shoot? That is the big question.

Article is here.

Snapshot of Google search showing MSNBC article with Armstrong's statement, before references to alcohol were scrubbed from the MSNBC site.

Binary_Digit said:

Are you kidding me? Have you read the threads on this topic? Yeah, let's talk about partisanship. The haters are foaming at the mouth over this. As with every other scandal over the past six years, they are hoping this is the one that finally sticks. Hunting lanes, sneaking up from behind, why didn't he release it to the press, had he been drinking, what if the victim dies, what charges would be brought, why doesn't he look more sympathetic, gos you never see Cheney's warm side, he's above the law, and on and on and on. Blind partisanship, indeed.

KCConservative said:
Are you kidding me? Have you read the threads on this topic? Yeah, let's talk about partisanship. The haters are foaming at the mouth over this. As with every other scandal over the past six years, they are hoping this is the one that finally sticks. Hunting lanes, sneaking up from behind, why didn't he release it to the press, had he been drinking, what if the victim dies, what charges would be brought, why doesn't he look more sympathetic, gos you never see Cheney's warm side, he's above the law, and on and on and on. Blind partisanship, indeed.
Well, when you said "let them have their dream" I thought you were replying to the "honest mistake" part. I haven't heard anyone try to say it was intentional, so I said something. I agree with you, all those things you mentioned are just stupid reasons to take jabs at him.

Mr. D said:
Only in America can we see no relationship between gun deaths and gun crime and guns!

Every year, the number of guns in the US goes up -- BATF says >4.5M guns sold every year.

Every year the number of gun crimes and gun deaths in the US remains relatively constant -- and in fact there were FEWER gun deatsh in 2002 than 1982.

If more guns = more crimes/gun deaths, why hasnt the number of gun crimes/deaths clibmed proportionally to the number of guns?

KCConservative said:
Got to hand it to you, dana. You never stop looking for the one item that will put you folks back in power. Hey, I think this just might be it. Shout it loud and proud, my friend. QuailGate 2006 will be the key to victory.

Nope, Sorry KCC, but we had it long before this accident. That is extremely irrelevant to what Bush has done. Please don't ask me what, as you know, I don't want to go over it numerous times. It already affects the whole world indirectly.

alphieb said:
Nope, Sorry KCC, but we had it long before this accident. That is extremely irrelevant to what Bush has done. Please don't ask me what, as you know, I don't want to go over it numerous times. It already affects the whole world indirectly.
Quite true. There have been many (AWOL, Diebold, Haliburton, WMD, way too many to name). But none of them have ever stuck. I was just suggesting that this might be the one. :roll:

Goobieman said:
Every year, the number of guns in the US goes up -- BATF says >4.5M guns sold every year.

Every year the number of gun crimes and gun deaths in the US remains relatively constant -- and in fact there were FEWER gun deatsh in 2002 than 1982.

If more guns = more crimes/gun deaths, why hasnt the number of gun crimes/deaths clibmed proportionally to the number of guns?

First of all, deaths are deaths, regardless of this number compared to last year or this number compared to ten years ago. Why not try to eliminate the problem all together? "Relatively constant" is still not acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom