• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Real Reason God No Longer Protects Us.

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
In light of all the recent tragedies, there have been many on the religious right who believe that we are no longer under Gods protection as nation because we have turned away from God’s teachings. They may be right.

When live in the richest nation in the history of civilization, yet we turn our backs on the impoverished and as a result have the highest poverty rate of any industrialized nation on Earth, God no longer protects us because of our wicked greed and love of money.

When we fight for school sanctioned prayer, yet turn our backs on the over 40 million of our fellow Americans who have no health insurance, God no longer protects us because of hypocrisy, greed, and lack of concern for our neighbor.

When we ridicule those who advocate peace, and claim that those who want war have God on their side, God no longer protects us because of our blasphemy.

When we value wealth over work, refuse to pay our way in this generation, and rack up trillions of dollars of debt for our children and grandchildren to be forced to pay just so we can have a tax cut, God no longer protects us because of our wicked greed and lack of concern for our children.

When we view God’s creation as nothing more than something to be exploited for monetary gain, and ridicule those who argue that even small changes in our materialistic lifestyle would mean a better world for the generations that follow us. God no longer protects us because of our wicked selfish ways.

When we build massive tax exempt country clubs for churches and pay preachers hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, while ignoring the slums and poverty prevalent in every major city in America, God no longer protects us because of our self-righteousness.

When we go in droves to vote on amendments banning same sex marriage or protest in droves the Ten Commandments not being displayed in Court Rooms, yet we ridicule those who advocate a war on poverty and equality and justice even though helping the less fortunate, avoiding greed, and working for justice are the central messages of the Gospels of Christ, God no longer protects us because of our self-righteousness, greed, and hypocrisy.

If as a nation we truly have lost God’s protection, it’s not because we don’t have prayer in schools or that the Ten Commandments are not in courtrooms, God does not want a nation of people who self-righteously places monuments to him on public property and has a government that compels and promotes religious beliefs. What God wants is us to be a nation that lives our lives the way Jesus told us to live our live our lives, to have a nation where we place enough faith in God to truly make war the absolute last resort, where we value each other more than money and materialism, where we value his creation and strive to protect it for future generations. A Christian nation is not a nation with prayer in schools and the Ten Commandments in town squares. A Christian nation is a nation that strives to eliminate poverty, a nation that places the health and welfare of others over individual greed, a nation that considers the best monuments to God to be its National Parks, Wilderness, and other areas where God’s creation is just as he created it. A Christian nation is a nation who has enough faith in God to only go to war as the absolute last, last, last resort.

That is a Christian nation, and if we truly have lost God’s protection, then we should look no further than our Greedy, Materialistic, Selfish and Blasphemous Hypocrisy that we have created.

Wow, great job. :bravo:

Now to be totally bowled over by the nay-sayers....How can anyone argue these points?

And you beautifully support the truth that real liberal ideals go far beyond the meager confines of US politics.

mixedmedia said:
Wow, great job. :bravo:

Now to be totally bowled over by the nay-sayers....How can anyone argue these points?

And you beautifully support the truth that real liberal ideals go far beyond the meager confines of US politics.

Not to like toot my own horn or anything, but I do think I did do a good job on that. We should go over it well to make sure there are no grammatical errors in it then forward it to everyone you know and get them to do the same so it makes the email circuit like the right wingers do with the crap they spew.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Not to like toot my own horn or anything, but I do think I did do a good job on that. We should go over it well to make sure there are no grammatical errors in it then forward it to everyone you know and get them to do the same so it makes the email circuit like the right wingers do with the crap they spew.

I could help you edit it. I actually enjoy that sort of thing.

A chain letter of sorts could be good but I wouldn't limit it to that. Sending it to all our friends and acquaintances who already think like we do would be an instance of "preaching to the choir."

I would definitely submit it to the editorial page of your local newspaper(s). It may need to be shortened for that though. The Sojourners newsletter takes submissions from readers, too. But again, their readers already feel the way we do. You'll want people to read this that need their light bulb turned on.

Posting on other debate sites might be good, as well.

Thanks for writing it.

mixedmedia said:
I could help you edit it. I actually enjoy that sort of thing.

A chain letter of sorts could be good but I wouldn't limit it to that. Sending it to all our friends and acquaintances who already think like we do would be an instance of "preaching to the choir."

I would definitely submit it to the editorial page of your local newspaper(s). It may need to be shortened for that though. The Sojourners newsletter takes submissions from readers, too. But again, their readers already feel the way we do. You'll want people to read this that need their light bulb turned on.

Posting on other debate sites might be good, as well.

Thanks for writing it.

Notice how none of the religious right has so much as touched this thread so far.

The company I work for is one of the largest press syndicates in the world and has a publishing company as well. I suppose that if I was going to submit it to the editorial page of our local newspapers, I could just have someone up in editorial clean it up for me.

A chain email, if it’s a good one, makes the rounds to a lot of people. I get right wing ones sent to me by acquaintances all the time, so people get them regardless of their ideology. The right wing has a great propaganda machine, if we want to compete with them in the marketplace of ideas, we have to be just as good in getting our message out.

Few are touching this thread. No one on the religious right has anything to say?

The Real Reason God No Longer Protects Us is because he/she/it does not exist.

God is a fabrication in the minds of people that can not face reality and need to ask an imaginary entity for guidance.

I find it interesting.

Mostly because Europe is the one de-nouncing all kinds of religious things. They have a general...something for god/religion that isn't always good.

128shot said:
I find it interesting.

Mostly because Europe is the one de-nouncing all kinds of religious things. They have a general...something for god/religion that isn't always good.

Dude what? The Christian Democrats just won (well kind of) the elections in Germany. Religion is a required course throughout every single grade. Where'd you get that?

Erm, most Europeans find it offense that we have our president swear on a bible, for example.

Its a total love hate relationship....

religious class? it has tons of relevance to culture...

SouthernDemocrat said:
Notice how none of the religious right has so much as touched this thread so far.

The company I work for is one of the largest press syndicates in the world and has a publishing company as well. I suppose that if I was going to submit it to the editorial page of our local newspapers, I could just have someone up in editorial clean it up for me.

A chain email, if it’s a good one, makes the rounds to a lot of people. I get right wing ones sent to me by acquaintances all the time, so people get them regardless of their ideology. The right wing has a great propaganda machine, if we want to compete with them in the marketplace of ideas, we have to be just as good in getting our message out.

That's cool, I'd love to have a copy when you're done with it. I'll be sure to spread it around as much as I can.

128shot said:
Erm, most Europeans find it offense that we have our president swear on a bible, for example.

Its a total love hate relationship....

religious class? it has tons of relevance to culture...

No they don't. Maybe the French, but who likes them anyway. ;) Spanish, Italians, a lot of the Germans all very religious.

Anyway, I fail to see what it has to do with the context of the thread. I think that if anything, many Europeans think we self-righteous, greedy, and hypocritical.

well, it is France I guess.

Oddballs.

Old and wise said:
The Real Reason God No Longer Protects Us is because he/she/it does not exist.

God is a fabrication in the minds of people that can not face reality and need to ask an imaginary entity for guidance.

This is kind of harsh isn't it? I am not a Christian but I have tremendous faith in the philosophy of Jesus Christ. Just as I am not a Buddhist but take comfort in the teachings of the Buddha. I think I understand where your attitude comes from though. I have always rejected and reacted strongly to the hate, prejudice and moral tyranny that inconceivably emanates from the strongholds of established religion. Buddhism, I believe, being the exception to that rule. But I don't think that means we should reject the wisdom and guidance that the teachings provide. Nor should we dismiss those who practice their faith with an open heart as mere fools.

mixedmedia said:
This is kind of harsh isn't it? I am not a Christian but I have tremendous faith in the philosophy of Jesus Christ. Just as I am not a Buddhist but take comfort in the teachings of the Buddha. I think I understand where your attitude comes from though. I have always rejected and reacted strongly to the hate, prejudice and moral tyranny that inconceivably emanates from the strongholds of established religion. Buddhism, I believe, being the exception to that rule. But I don't think that means we should reject the wisdom and guidance that the teachings provide. Nor should we dismiss those who practice their faith with an open heart as mere fools.
Isnt this harsh? I am Christian, and yes there are plenty corrupt religions out there, including Christian Denominations. (hence why i am non-denominational Christian) But i don't appreciate being called a 'mere fool' for what i believe in.
You don't see people going around calling you a fool for not having any faith in Jesus.
And those that do, are wrong in doing so...for we have no right to judge, and neither do you.

teenonfire4him77 said:
Isnt this harsh? I am Christian, and yes there are plenty corrupt religions out there, including Christian Denominations. (hence why i am non-denominational Christian) But i don't appreciate being called a 'mere fool' for what i believe in.
You don't see people going around calling you a fool for not having any faith in Jesus.
And those that do, are wrong in doing so...for we have no right to judge, and neither do you.

Whoa there, sweetheart, I think you need to go back and re-read my post and then maybe even read the post that I was responding to. I have not called you or anyone else a fool.

mixedmedia said:
Nor should we dismiss those who practice their faith with an open heart as mere fools.
I know you weren't personally attacking me or anyone else.
is it just me? or does 'as mere fools' not say that people who practice their faith are fools?
Perhaps you could explain, cause I probably interpreted wrong then.

teenonfire4him77 said:
I know you weren't personally attacking me or anyone else.
is it just me? or does 'as mere fools' not say that people who practice their faith are fools?
Perhaps you could explain, cause I probably interpreted wrong then.

No that is not what I intended to say. But I suppose if you were looking for something to dispute you could interpret it that way. I mean to say that I have respect for people who adhere to the teachings of their faith. But that said, that I see in all faiths, except for Buddhism (and if someone has an example to show that I am wrong in this assumption, please do) those who distort and/or prioritize the teachings to serve their own biases or agendas. Perhaps mere fools was a poor choice of words. I apologize if I offended you. It was not my intention to imply that people of faith are fools.

teenonfire4him77 said:

Simple answer to this question. "God" does not exist. Nor does Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny, Bigfoot, the Devil, etc. That's all mythology.

kal-el said:
Simple answer to this question. "God" does not exist. Nor does Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny, Bigfoot, the Devil, etc. That's all mythology.

That's not what the Tooth Fairy told me. :tink:

:mrgreen:

mixedmedia said:
No that is not what I intended to say. But I suppose if you were looking for something to dispute you could interpret it that way. I mean to say that I have respect for people who adhere to the teachings of their faith. But that said, that I see in all faiths, except for Buddhism (and if someone has an example to show that I am wrong in this assumption, please do) those who distort and/or prioritize the teachings to serve their own biases or agendas. Perhaps mere fools was a poor choice of words. I apologize if I offended you. It was not my intention to imply that people of faith are fools.
Alright.
Your not the only one who is fed up with people who use their religion for their own personal gain, and distort texts to support it. ( I am personally speaking of Christianity)
It gives us true christians a bad reputation. Here is a song about a guy who is fed up too.
[1st Verse:]
Lord they really think they fooling you by coming to church on Sunday
Praying and laying hands on folks stomping and jumping around faking the holy ghost
but its a thin line between walking it and talking it
living it and giving it or just pretending it's alright
and did they really think that they could pull the wool over your eyes lord?
did they really think that by faking they were saved that they would get the same reward?

Chorus:
this be the realest thing I ever wrote for sure
after this a lot of folks wont like me no mo'
but after this I gotta go answer to you Lord
so I've made up my mind I'm a go to church on Sunday
and sing a song that may hurt somebody's feelings so that maybe
thy will, will be done
on earth as it is in heaven
and hopefully they will see
how much they really be discouraging a little old sinner like me

[2nd Verse:]
And Lord who they think they jiving by singing these songs full of glory
then out in the world it's a different story
I'm running out of people to pray for me
I'm not trying to act like I'm the perfect man
but if you speak about it, you should be about it not just preach about it all day
cause if you do you run the risk of chasing some of the most beautiful people away
and it is never my intention to discourage you rather encourage you to change your life today

[Chorus]

Its a messed up world.

My standpoint says that god should be attacking India, they are pagans after all!

and how about those Africans?

I don't think this makes sense....

128shot said:
My standpoint says that god should be attacking India, they are pagans after all!

and how about those Africans?

I don't think this makes sense....

I don't think you get the premise of this thread. In the post that I wrote when I started it, I said that the Religious Right thinks that God has lifted his protection of the United States because of our sinful ways. They think its because of gay rights, and crap like that. I simply pointed out the total hypocrisy of their contention, and that if we really have lost the protection of God (which I don't think is the case, if it were, what is the point of free will), then its because of our culture of greed and turning our backs on the impoverished among other things.

turn our backs? We're spending trillions of dollars on this "war on poverty"...

I don't care if they say "omg god says we're supposed to be elected" because thats crap, frankly, god probably doesn't like liars, so he wouldn't like politicians.

teenonfire4him77 said:
Alright.
Your not the only one who is fed up with people who use their religion for their own personal gain, and distort texts to support it. ( I am personally speaking of Christianity)
It gives us true christians a bad reputation. Here is a song about a guy who is fed up too.
[1st Verse:]
Lord they really think they fooling you by coming to church on Sunday
Praying and laying hands on folks stomping and jumping around faking the holy ghost
but its a thin line between walking it and talking it
living it and giving it or just pretending it's alright
and did they really think that they could pull the wool over your eyes lord?
did they really think that by faking they were saved that they would get the same reward?

Chorus:
this be the realest thing I ever wrote for sure
after this a lot of folks wont like me no mo'
but after this I gotta go answer to you Lord
so I've made up my mind I'm a go to church on Sunday
and sing a song that may hurt somebody's feelings so that maybe
thy will, will be done
on earth as it is in heaven
and hopefully they will see
how much they really be discouraging a little old sinner like me

[2nd Verse:]
And Lord who they think they jiving by singing these songs full of glory
then out in the world it's a different story
I'm running out of people to pray for me
I'm not trying to act like I'm the perfect man
but if you speak about it, you should be about it not just preach about it all day
cause if you do you run the risk of chasing some of the most beautiful people away
and it is never my intention to discourage you rather encourage you to change your life today

[Chorus]

Its a messed up world.

That's cool, teen. It is a messed up world, but keep the faith. I have faith that this pseudo-Christian hysteria will pass. I think most people see through it even though it may not seem that way a lot of the time. Things haven't always been this way and the only thing for certain in this world is change. And, when given a choice, people will always reject falsity and tyranny for truth and liberty.
:2wave:

Back
Top Bottom