• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Real Reason God No Longer Protects Us.

128shot said:
turn our backs? We're spending trillions of dollars on this "war on poverty"...

I don't care if they say "omg god says we're supposed to be elected" because thats crap, frankly, god probably doesn't like liars, so he wouldn't like politicians.

How many times have liberals screamed that poverty was still a problem in America, only to be told by the ditto heads that they were just spewing doom and gloom. The religious right is all up in arms about evolution and actual science being taught in school, but they see nothing wrong with the culture of greed in our society.

I hope you understand that greed is what drives everything.

You NEVER do something because you don't want to, you're greedy for something, and thats why you do it, even if you say "God, I hate my job" or "I don't want to move the couch", well, you go to that job or you move that couch because you have to, in order to do something else. This would be acting out of greed. Life is funny huh?

I think god just gave up teaching us lessons with nature, I think he said "I'll give you the ultimate abomination......" and thus, thats why we have politicians.

128shot said:
I hope you understand that greed is what drives everything.

You NEVER do something because you don't want to, you're greedy for something, and thats why you do it, even if you say "God, I hate my job" or "I don't want to move the couch", well, you go to that job or you move that couch because you have to, in order to do something else. This would be acting out of greed. Life is funny huh?

I think god just gave up teaching us lessons with nature, I think he said "I'll give you the ultimate abomination......" and thus, thats why we have politicians.

Well, the thing is, I don't think that God has lifted his protection of the United States because I don't think that God favors nations. My point of the original post in the thread was to show the hypocrisy of the Religious Right. Oh, greed is a sin. Along with pride, it is probably the most admonished sin in the Bible. Not everyone lives a life of pure greed either. There are lots of people who take jobs in social work, or conservation, or other jobs in service of others who don't do it for the money because in those types of positions, there is no money in them.

greed isn't just a direct reference to money you know.

We're all greedy for something, another word for this might be "want" or "good feelings"

SouthernDemocrat said:
Well, the thing is, I don't think that God has lifted his protection of the United States because I don't think that God favors nations. My point of the original post in the thread was to show the hypocrisy of the Religious Right. Oh, greed is a sin. Along with pride, it is probably the most admonished sin in the Bible. Not everyone lives a life of pure greed either. There are lots of people who take jobs in social work, or conservation, or other jobs in service of others who don't do it for the money because in those types of positions, there is no money in them.

Wow, I love your Eisenhower quote. Unbelievable....

128shot said:
greed isn't just a direct reference to money you know.

We're all greedy for something, another word for this might be "want" or "good feelings"

The Buddhists call it samsara.

But I think you are trying a little too hard to avoid SouthernDemocrat's relevant and compelling point.

Maybe my point was static, but I don't feel this is a great case to be made, for all its worth.

I think there are better ways at debating how conflicting the "religious right" is, or just the current admininstration in general.

Point taken, but it doesn't seem too worthy to me in terms of relevency, since I'm sure playing the religious card just appeals to about 10 million people in our population that is super religious.

128shot said:
Maybe my point was static, but I don't feel this is a great case to be made, for all its worth.

I think there are better ways at debating how conflicting the "religious right" is, or just the current admininstration in general.

Point taken, but it doesn't seem too worthy to me in terms of relevency, since I'm sure playing the religious card just appeals to about 10 million people in our population that is super religious.

It doesn't apply only to those who are super religious. It applies to any Christian who favors self-gain over the Christian ethic of service to the poor. And for that matter, those who are super religious tend to do more work with the poor than is average, even though their social views are very conservative. I think the most significant & relevant group of people are the conservative Christians in Washington who are in an ideal position to provide comfort to those in need and instead enable themselves and their rich friends to keep a little more of their money. They favor tax breaks for the rich and oppose welfare for the poor. They oppose providing more health care services for the uninsured while ensuring pharmaceutical companies the ability to gouge older Americans who could get less expensive prescription medications from Canada. They favor cutting Pell grants that enable poor kids to go to college and support school vouchers that will provide a free pass for wealthier kids out of inner city or failing schools leaving the poorest children to dwindle. They even tried to cut school breakfast for poor kids, for pete's sake. And the list goes on and on. You may not think it worthy or relevant, but to Christians who are outraged at what is going on right now in this country it certainly is.

The information in this thread.....pretty much defines the reasons I am no longer Christian. It seems to me a pity, that as we become more enlightened to the realities of kindness and compassion, the Church becomes a hinderence.

But....this is of course, only my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom