• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The radical rightwing's real reason for opposing gay marriage

disneydude

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Yesterday I had dinner with a friend and his partner. They have been together for 16 years. When I got home I started to think.....the real reason why the radical religious right-wing opposes gay marriage has to do with perpetuating stereotypes and keeping people like my friends out of the public eye. If America began to see that gay couples are not unlike heterosexual couples, they will begin to see that the right-wing has lied to them and may question what other lies the right-wing perpetuates. They would prefer to promote the image that gay men and women are super-sexualized, leather clad, drug-using athiests.
Both homosexuals and heterosexuals run the gamut of behaviors...but lets realize what is really going on with the right-wing's efforts to demonize gay marriage.

disneydude said:
Yesterday I had dinner with a friend and his partner. They have been together for 16 years. When I got home I started to think.....the real reason why the radical religious right-wing opposes gay marriage has to do with perpetuating stereotypes and keeping people like my friends out of the public eye. If America began to see that gay couples are not unlike heterosexual couples, they will begin to see that the right-wing has lied to them and may question what other lies the right-wing perpetuates. They would prefer to promote the image that gay men and women are super-sexualized, leather clad, drug-using athiests.
Both homosexuals and heterosexuals run the gamut of behaviors...but lets realize what is really going on with the right-wing's efforts to demonize gay marriage.

the radical religious right-wing does not want to know the truth. they want to read their bibles.

disneydude said:

Before you and every liberal spews any more liberal horseshit gay mafia rhetoric I will tell you why sane and normal people oppose gay marriage.Marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

jamesrage said:
Before you and every liberal spews any more liberal horseshit gay mafia rhetoric I will tell you why sane and normal people oppose gay marriage.Marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

gay marriage isnt.

Who knows why people have issues and from where they come. Heres the thing I find interesting about myself....I have absolutely NO problem whatsover with gays and lesbians marrying. I think the fact that people don't want them to marry is stupid and hard for me to understand. Why the heck would heterosexuals care if homosexuals marry?

But here's the thing I have a real problem with polygamy and I'm not sure why....I know I just don't like it!:rofl If they tried to make polygamy legal in our country I wouldn't like it and this makes no sense at all! I guess I have a fear that if men could have more than one wife they of course would all want more than one wife and my man would be bringing wives home left and right. Now that fear is kind of silly and unfounded. My man knows I don't share and so if polygamy were legal it would most likely have zero affect on my own marriage.

So basically I have an irrational dislike of something I don't understand and I just refuse to accept it. Furthermore I have this idea in my head that polygamy would be bad for society. I think many who oppose gay marriage probably just have the same ridiculous irrational dislike and fear of gay marriage that I have towards polygamy.

jamesrage said:

Most sane and normal people could care less about gay marriage. Crazy idiots like you and Michael Savage are the insane ones. Marriage should be considered a civil right and should not be given to straight people only. All American citizens have civil ri... nevermind.

jamesrage said:

fact : gay people are citizens too
fact : despite what you feel they are not going to change their lifestyle to accommodate your religion
fact : everyone in this country is entitle to the same treatment and liberties no matter their age, race, religion or sexual preference.
fact : you have no right to deny others the same benefits that you demand for yourself
fact : you have no idea what the words sane and normal mean

jamesrage said:

Personally jamesrage has no credibility with me. Anyone who would even admit to listening to Savage, let alone quote him obviously has more than one screw loose.

disneydude said:
.....the real reason why the radical religious right-wing opposes gay marriage has to do with perpetuating stereotypes and keeping people like my friends out of the public eye.

We will never win this fight if refuse to fight it right. It isn't the "radical" opinion to oppose gay rights. It is the mainstream. That's Kay, that doesn't make us any less correct. But, don't paint those who oppose you with that brush.

Also, I don't believe that people are afraid of being exposed as oppressors. I believe it's a fear of the unknown. If you look at the places where Gay rights are fought the hardest, it is in rural areas where it is probably not very common for someone to be openly gay. Everything that we don't know, we are afraid of. Also it is easier to get someone to believe that all homosexual people are indecent and lack morality of any kind, if they haven't met anyone who's gay.

I think the right's real reason for opposing gay marriage is because they're afraid it'll be compulsory.

vergiss said:
I think the right's real reason for opposing gay marriage is because they're afraid it'll be compulsory.

And they'll enjoy it:rofl

Gay marriage is a demented alternative life style. Would you have any problem with a farmer marrying his prize pink-eyed sheep? Should the tax payers be responsible for all the benefits that would be handed to this farmer and his bride, like the agricultural funding of a more modernized love suite up in the hay loft?

ptsdkid said:
Gay marriage is a demented alternative life style. Would you have any problem with a farmer marrying his prize pink-eyed sheep? Should the tax payers be responsible for all the benefits that would be handed to this farmer and his bride, like the agricultural funding of a more modernized love suite up in the hay loft?

One of the wacky right-fringe arguments.

I do agree that not everyone who opposes gay marriage is part of the radical right....thats not what I am saying. But it is the radical right that perpetuates the myths. If they weren't out spewing their propoganda I think most people in America would be more willing to "live and let live". But propoganda does influence public opinion thats why it has been used for generations.

ptsdkid said:

This is not the radical right, it is the idiotic right.

I know you're not supposed to argue with a drunk or a fool, but.........how is it that you rationalize comparing a human to a sheep?

alphamale said:
"Gay marriage remains a divisive issue, with 51 percent opposing it, the poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/nation/14162528.htm

Yaaaaa ..... 51% of Americans are the "radical rightwing".
Interesting article:
Gay marriage remains a divisive issue, with 51 percent opposing it, the poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found. But almost two-thirds, 63 percent, opposed gay marriage in February 2004.
So are the numbers skewed or are viewpoints changing?

I believe it's a fallacy to lump this as a left v right debate anyway. Yes, there are large chunks that can be divided along those lines, but there's enough crossover that makes the blanket statement incorrect.

Maybe when I originally posted I didn't make myself clear. I never meant to insinuate that the only people who oppose gay marriage are the radical right-wingers. What I meant to convey is that I believe that their particular opposition is based on perpetuating their portrayal because it furthers their cause. Other groups may have different reasons for opposing gay marriage. I know full well that a lot of mainstream America opposes gay marriage, but I believe that this is partially because of the stereotypes and misinformation that these radical fringe groups perpetuate. I think that the public is coming around to the idea of gay marriage because they are beginning to see that these images that the religious radicals try to say is indicative of "the gay lifestyle" is BS. You can see their desperation in continuing to perpetuate these myths because any accurate portrayal of the diversity of the gay community is immediately branded by them as "the gay agenda".

disneydude,

My problem lies more with the state supporting marriage in the first place. If the state wasn't involved there would be no debate.

Why do people care about gay marriage. Who does it hurt? Oh thats right, NO ONE!

ptsdkid said:
Gay marriage is a demented alternative life style.

Please show me where dementia is attributed to the homosexual lifestyle. I mean, after all, you are the forum's expert on mental disorders, right? ;)

Would you have any problem with a farmer marrying his prize pink-eyed sheep? Should the tax payers be responsible for all the benefits that would be handed to this farmer and his bride, like the agricultural funding of a more modernized love suite up in the hay loft?

Now this is a horseshit argument if there ever was one. Little lesson in sanity and normalcy, kiddo...marriage is a legal contract. By that virtue alone, an animal cannot wed because an animal cannot take part in a legal contract. An animal cannot legally be coerced into sex with a human because an animal cannot give its consent. Neither can a minor, so just shut your pie hole before you ever start. As for the rest of your histrionics, they arent even worth acknowledging.

I've said it a thousand times, but its worth repeating. It is so funny to me how those right wingers who claim to honor virtue and goodness are the very first to start suggesting perverted sick shyte like marrying animals. This was just another example of our oh-so-moral conservatives in action. :roll:

Ivan The Terrible said:
Sir_Alec,

But it effects everone.

There's no question that when you start treating people equally, those who used to get the preferential treatment are affected.

Can I ask you which effects you are concerned about?

Beacuse they are heartless and want to continue to opress people. As time goes by and the mainstream changes the heartless fools will be left to eat their own bile.

millsy,

There's no question that when you start treating people equally, those who used to get the preferential treatment are affected.

Can I ask you which effects you are concerned about?

Just economic effects. Like I said, if the government stayed out of people's affairs there would be no debate.

Ivan The Terrible said:
millsy,

Just economic effects. Like I said, if the government stayed out of people's affairs there would be no debate.

That won't be the situation for decades to come. I am surprised that my nation is called "the land of the free'' when our citizens are not all treated fairly.

Back
Top Bottom