• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The racial divide.... deepens.

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"Bush doesn't care about blacks"...

That, my friends, seems to be the general consensus among most African-Americans today in the aftermath of Katrina, like it or not.

It also seems to me that the White House did indeed drop the ball on this one.

Just to give an example I was recently watching a segment on the news where it showed the Cubans preparing for a major hurricane, the gov't there successfully moved out about 2 million Cubans out of harms way days before the hurricane hit. A stark contrast to New Orleans and Katrina.

More such examples will be forthcoming I'm sure.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-12-katrina-poll_x.htm

Poll shows racial divide on storm response

WASHINGTON — A USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll finds a stark racial divide in Americans' attitudes toward the plight of Hurricane Katrina's victims, the performance of President Bush and the reasons the government's early response was wanting.
Six in 10 African-Americans say the fact that most hurricane victims were poor and black was one factor behind the failure of the federal government to come to their rescue quickly. Nearly nine in 10 non-Hispanic whites say those weren't factors.

Bush, in downtown New Orleans for the first time since the hurricane hit, on Monday denied race played a role. "My attitude is this: The storm didn't discriminate, and neither will the recovery effort," he said. "When those Coast Guard choppers ... were pulling people off roofs, they didn't check the color of a person's skin. They wanted to save lives."

But Rae Clifton, 52, a Web designer in Atlanta who is black and was among those surveyed, is certain that race and class did count. "If it had been a 17-year-old white cheerleader who was caught in the water, somebody would have tried to get there faster," she says. "But because it was poor people ... it was, 'OK, we'll get there after a while.' "

The racial divide — which underscores the different perspectives whites and blacks continue to have on some aspects of life in America — could affect the debate over addressing poverty and rebuilding the region.

"Some of the concern I'm hearing (from blacks) is that New Orleans is going to be rebuilt but gentrified in such a way that they can't go back," says Michael Fauntroy, a political scientist at George Mason University who has studied relations between blacks and the GOP. The administration needs to allay those fears, he says.

In any case, Republican efforts this year to reach out to black voters have been set back. In the survey, African-Americans by 74%-16% have an unfavorable opinion of the GOP. By more than 3-1, they say Bush doesn't care about black people. By more than 2-1, whites say he does...

Division is endemic in all multicultural societies.
But the division is not only racial, it's also economical, political, social, etc.. The rule of the "rulers" seems to be "divide every way you can.. as long as they fight each other, they'll let us alone".

Multicultural societies are the only solution for a forward-leaning society. A mono-cultural society relies only (or mostly) on its past. But they have inherent flaws (as does democracy, science, etc..), as all societies that really are looking the future in the eyes. And one of the flaws they have is that cynical power- and greed-hungry politicians can use them for their own gain.

Now, did Bush, the BA, the State and/or the local powers really act late and/or without efficiency because mosty people were black, or did they do it because they are inefficient in nature (as I really believe most present politicians are, whatever their leaning or their country)? I lean towards the second solution. But now, I'm white.

IMO, grassroots politics, allowing real politicians ( people who care 'bout the state and you, not the lobbyists) to take power and govern FOR THE PEOPLE, is the only solution, apart from violent uprising. It's a longer road than uprising, but safer.

Food for thoughts.

CU
Y

What the problem is, is that Americans in general do not have the patience for minorities, and handicaps they are given. I think what needs to be taught in all schools is racial immersion classes and racial tolerance. I have a bad feeling that things will get dicey and in specific when it comes to elections. The republicans are going to be dealt with a serious blow in trying to gather the minority vote. If he had a shot, he blew it this time and blew it big..

There is no question that rascism still exists in this country but things have improved by leaps and bounds over the last 50 years........

Democrats and Liberals want to keep African Americans down........They want them to be dependent on them from the moment they are born until they die........A lot of African Americans are beginning to see through this scam and are moving away from this democratic domination.........

There is a racial divide but it is narrowing and hopefully some day in the near future will be gone.............

Navy Pride said:
There is no question that rascism still exists in this country but things have improved by leaps and bounds over the last 50 years........

Democrats and Liberals want to keep African Americans down........They want them to be dependent on them from the moment they are born until they die........A lot of African Americans are beginning to see through this scam and are moving away from this democratic domination.........

There is a racial divide but it is narrowing and hopefully some day in the near future will be gone.............

NOPE! The black know its the Rebubs that want to keep them slaves working for peanuts. For that matter the Repubs want the white people to be slaves and keep working for peanuts too.

Lets hope that the Repubs soon find out that every American, black, white, rich, or poor is an American.

taxpayer said:
NOPE! The black know its the Rebubs that want to keep them slaves working for peanuts. For that matter the Repubs want the white people to be slaves and keep working for peanuts too.

Lets hope that the Repubs soon find out that every American, black, white, rich, or poor is an American.

Don't just cite liberal spin prove what you said is true.......

Navy Pride said:

And that is exactly why African-Americans vote 9 to 1 against the Republican Party, because of ignorant soundbites like the one above attributed to Rush Limbaugh.

And I love it when the dittoheads parrot that classic standard line from the mouths of Rush Limbaugh.

Democrats and Liberals want to keep African Americans down........They want them to be dependent on them from the moment they are born until they die........
Classic!

Navy Pride said:

It's the GOAL of all political parties to keep people down from birth to death. Dems and Reps alike want people to fight each other than unite and fight the govt.
Do you really think they are there to help YOU, who did nothing directly for them or their family, or the lobbyist / big donor down the road, that helped them buy that nice little house on the beachfront?

To make sure you don't look at their actions too closely, they make sure you first look at what the blacks have, then at what the gays have, then at what the [place your choice here] have. After that, you'll be dead anyway.

Open your eyes.

Y

Navy Pride:
"Democrats and Liberals want to keep African Americans down........They want them to be dependent on them from the moment they are born until they die........A lot of African Americans are beginning to see through this scam and are moving away from this democratic domination........."

You can assert that the net result of liberal tinkering with social policy is to transfer responsibility for the plight of African Americans from their own determination to reliance on government handouts, but I have doubts that their main objective is to marginalize African Americans and exploit the role of nurse for political gain.

Forgive my assumptions, as I haven't seen relevant statistics in a long time, but the Republican approach of "tough love" seems highly unlikely to swell the number of minorities within their ranks.
African Americans may becoming more alienated from the democratic party, but does that mean they are gravitating over toward the republicans?

I think it much more likely that African Americans who become disillusioned with democrats simply accept whatever the powers-that-be decide to rain down upon them. And if that is the case, our shared hopes seem unlikely to come to fruition.

Navy Pride
"There is a racial divide but it is narrowing and hopefully some day in the near future will be gone............."

KidRocks said:
And I love it when the dittoheads parrot that classic standard line from the mouths of Rush Limbaugh.

Classic!

Hey kid.

I'm officially calling you out.

I've personally addressed your points on several occasions, and have asked you poignant questions.

No reply.

Again. As I've posted many times on this site. The asker of the unanswered question is the winner.

Sure you can run circles around "dittoheads". Try me. No links, blogs, news reports, mano to you. Let's know what's inside your "skull full of mush", with out you parroting some one else's words.

Try a little. View my profile. Read my posts. My intelligence officer on this site steered me to you. That day was the first I drew on you. Go find your past posts and find my replies. Straight at you. Did you miss them? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume so. What have you got to lose? The same as me. Let's see some intellect of your own behind your posts. Know your enemy.

See if you can be half the lib Billo is.

Oh yea, don't worry. You don't even begin to qualify for your own TT.

You're just a side job.

Now go hold champ's hand.

Befuddled_Stoner said:
Navy Pride:
"Democrats and Liberals want to keep African Americans down........They want them to be dependent on them from the moment they are born until they die........A lot of African Americans are beginning to see through this scam and are moving away from this democratic domination........."

You can assert that the net result of liberal tinkering with social policy is to transfer responsibility for the plight of African Americans from their own determination to reliance on government handouts, but I have doubts that their main objective is to marginalize African Americans and exploit the role of nurse for political gain.

Forgive my assumptions, as I haven't seen relevant statistics in a long time, but the Republican approach of "tough love" seems highly unlikely to swell the number of minorities within their ranks.
African Americans may becoming more alienated from the democratic party, but does that mean they are gravitating over toward the republicans?

I think it much more likely that African Americans who become disillusioned with democrats simply accept whatever the powers-that-be decide to rain down upon them. And if that is the case, our shared hopes seem unlikely to come to fruition.

Navy Pride
"There is a racial divide but it is narrowing and hopefully some day in the near future will be gone............."

I, teacher, of the huge brain, like this guy. Haven't seen seen new chops like this since Tetracide and Trojan Octavious Magnimous Buttocks.

I see you zeroed right in on Navy Pride. Word on the street is he's a white supremacists. I can't confirm that though. Even though I asked him outright and he didn't respond.

Have some fun here.

Oh yea, got any experience with monkeys?

PS. Navy Pride, thoughts?

taxpayer said:

Gah! Urk! Huh? Wha? Well said, now, back it up with other than....a....what is that you bring?

KidRocks said:
"Bush doesn't care about blacks"...

That, my friends, seems to be the general consensus among most African-Americans today in the aftermath of Katrina, like it or not.

It also seems to me that the White House did indeed drop the ball on this one.

Just to give an example I was recently watching a segment on the news where it showed the Cubans preparing for a major hurricane, the gov't there successfully moved out about 2 million Cubans out of harms way days before the hurricane hit. A stark contrast to New Orleans and Katrina.

More such examples will be forthcoming I'm sure.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-12-katrina-poll_x.htm

Poll shows racial divide on storm response

WASHINGTON — A USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll finds a stark racial divide in Americans' attitudes toward the plight of Hurricane Katrina's victims, the performance of President Bush and the reasons the government's early response was wanting.
Six in 10 African-Americans say the fact that most hurricane victims were poor and black was one factor behind the failure of the federal government to come to their rescue quickly. Nearly nine in 10 non-Hispanic whites say those weren't factors.

Bush, in downtown New Orleans for the first time since the hurricane hit, on Monday denied race played a role. "My attitude is this: The storm didn't discriminate, and neither will the recovery effort," he said. "When those Coast Guard choppers ... were pulling people off roofs, they didn't check the color of a person's skin. They wanted to save lives."

But Rae Clifton, 52, a Web designer in Atlanta who is black and was among those surveyed, is certain that race and class did count. "If it had been a 17-year-old white cheerleader who was caught in the water, somebody would have tried to get there faster," she says. "But because it was poor people ... it was, 'OK, we'll get there after a while.' "

The racial divide — which underscores the different perspectives whites and blacks continue to have on some aspects of life in America — could affect the debate over addressing poverty and rebuilding the region.

"Some of the concern I'm hearing (from blacks) is that New Orleans is going to be rebuilt but gentrified in such a way that they can't go back," says Michael Fauntroy, a political scientist at George Mason University who has studied relations between blacks and the GOP. The administration needs to allay those fears, he says.

In any case, Republican efforts this year to reach out to black voters have been set back. In the survey, African-Americans by 74%-16% have an unfavorable opinion of the GOP. By more than 3-1, they say Bush doesn't care about black people. By more than 2-1, whites say he does...

I'm sorry but I just do not believe that most of our black citizens believe that whatsoever.

True, ..that the liberal mouthpices WANT to help convey that MESSAGE, & they love it when the media picks up on such things, but I do not believe that at all!

It is foolish to believe that a natural disaster would make our black citizens in New Orleans affected feel that way toward Bush. As a matter of fact, ..it wasn't until the Bush haters got on the bandwagon, (Howard Dean etc.)

Amazing the rest of the victims in the other states, ..& many are also black did not necessarilly buy into that horsedump.

If one wants to discuss as to "WHY" it took a hurricane in New Orleans to use the poor black americans as an "example" of disinfranchised, & economically locked out; indeed lets ask?

THat city has been run, & controlled by DEMOCRATS for roughly 60 years, ..& it has NEVER been about NOT getting enough federal funding!

Liberals, & the modern liberal media OVERUSE, & LOVE to hear the word, 'racism'...but only when it is EMPLOYED against a GOP president!

In truth, ..the fema aid that came in the aftermath of Katrina was actually NOT any slower than any other major hurricanes; ..but since Bush has been the whipping post for everything the last couple of years, ..sure why not blame him.

THe incredible truth that CANNOT be denied is best asked in 1-simple question: tHe mayor of New Orleans is also black; ...he had at least 1,000 school buses, plus public transportation buses, & at least 2-days notice BEFORE the hurricane hit; WHY DID HE NOT USE THEM TO EVACUATE THE POOREST OF THE NEW ORLEAN"S RESIDENTS???

Why didn't the GOVERNOR call for the national Guard to be activated SOONER, ..SHE is the commander & Chief of the Guard units of her state??

Racism,...hardly! More likely an "entitlement" mentality for many of the NEW ORLEANS poor that had been going on for decades; & a convenient whipping post in Pres. Bush, & it was disgraceful to blame HIM, & then charge racism....when the first priority & RESPONSIBILITY is to the LOCAL MAYOR FIRST, & THEN the GOVERNOR secondly, ..& the last stage is the federal government!

THe buses evacuated NOBODY...WHY WHY WHY..? And shall we also blame Bush because the residents of New Orleans are poor, & black...? AS stated above, ..the democrats have ran that city for nearly 60 years, & that city has even recieved MORE funding than California at times.

60 years of social programs for the poor, & a federal treasury that was always OPENED for them. I thought democrats & liberals were best at redistributing everybody elses wealth, ..& ending poverty & promoting fairness, & equal opportunity??????????????

Racism charges just help keep the blank federal checks coming in order to prove that nobody is being racist, ..& the squeaky wheel ALWAYS gets the oil!

Were any federal rescue workers not rescuing black citizens; or were they deliberatley rescuing the white citizens first, ..perhaps making our black citizens wait for whitey's rescue first?

The cry of racism is getting old, ..& the charges are blatant lies kept alive to try to hurt Bush for the sake of the DNC, & their little helpers (media), & the charges are despicable to say the least! :roll:

epr64 said:
It's the GOAL of all political parties to keep people down from birth to death. Dems and Reps alike want people to fight each other than unite and fight the govt.
Do you really think they are there to help YOU, who did nothing directly for them or their family, or the lobbyist / big donor down the road, that helped them buy that nice little house on the beachfront?

To make sure you don't look at their actions too closely, they make sure you first look at what the blacks have, then at what the gays have, then at what the [place your choice here] have. After that, you'll be dead anyway.

Open your eyes.

Y

My eyes are wide open and that is your opinion and it is not shared by any right thinking person..............Liberals have made promises for years to minorities to get their vote.....They have lied to them over and over again.....One can tell by the last election when President Bush made great gains with Hispanics that minority is wising up to the lies of the democrats and the left......It is only a matter of time until African Americans do the same........

Befuddled_Stoner said:
Navy Pride:

Navy Pride

Excellent summation..........Hispanics once under the control of the Democratic Party are moving more to the Republican Party as evidenced by the 2004 Presidential Elections........I believe like you that African Americans will gradually move that way too......It may take some time though.......

teacher said:
I, teacher, of the huge brain, like this guy. Haven't seen seen new chops like this since Tetracide and Trojan Octavious Magnimous Buttocks.

I see you zeroed right in on Navy Pride. Word on the street is he's a white supremacists. I can't confirm that though. Even though I asked him outright and he didn't respond.

Have some fun here.

Oh yea, got any experience with monkeys?

PS. Navy Pride, thoughts?

Teacher, and I use the term loosely, you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can not fool all of the people all of the time..........Now go to your room.......

Johnson’s Great Society programs cut the minority poverty rates in half. Minority poverty rates decreased during the Clinton years and have risen each year during the Bush years.

Now, who is it that wants to keep minorities down?

Is it the Democrats whose party makeup represents people of almost all different ethnicities and social backgrounds and whose policies have historically help lift minorities out of poverty?

Or is it the Republicans whose party makeup is virtually all white, whose core constituencies are fundamentalists, white rednecks, and corporate interests, and who even though they are the party in power they wont even put the money and resources behind one black republican to get them elected to a congressional seat?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most minorities probably feel better represented by a party that actually has minorities well represented in it, than by a bunch of a white self-righteous men who condescendingly think they know what is really best for minorities.

Here's an editorial from an African-American leader that hits the nail right on the head.

"The truth is black people died, not because of President Bush or racism, they died because of their unhealthy dependence on the government and the incompetence of Mayor Ray Nagin and Governor Kathleen Blanco," said the Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson, founder and president of BOND (the Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny).

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200509\NAT20050908a.html

SouthernDemocrat said:
Johnson’s Great Society programs cut the minority poverty rates in half. Minority poverty rates decreased during the Clinton years and have risen each year during the Bush years.

Now, who is it that wants to keep minorities down?

Is it the Democrats whose party makeup represents people of almost all different ethnicities and social backgrounds and whose policies have historically help lift minorities out of poverty?

Or is it the Republicans whose party makeup is virtually all white, whose core constituencies are fundamentalists, white rednecks, and corporate interests, and who even though they are the party in power they wont even put the money and resources behind one black republican to get them elected to a congressional seat?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most minorities probably feel better represented by a party that actually has minorities well represented in it, than by a bunch of a white self-righteous men who condescendingly think they know what is really best for minorities.

What about Condalisa Rice and Colin Powell? Last time I checked they were both black leaders. During Rice's confirmation hearing the Democrats blasted her. Not one Reblican played the race card. If it was a Republican attacking and insulting a black women, the Democrats would have screamed racism and sexism. The Democrats are the ones that exploit minorities.

ANAV said:
What about Condalisa Rice and Colin Powell? Last time I checked they were both black leaders. During Rice's confirmation hearing the Democrats blasted her. Not one Reblican played the race card. If it was a Republican attacking and insulting a black women, the Democrats would have screamed racism and sexism. The Democrats are the ones that exploit minorities.

Ok, wow, 2 out of how many million Republicans. When minorities make up less than 1% of your party, I think that speaks for itself.

Navy Pride said:
My eyes are wide open and that is your opinion and it is not shared by any right thinking person..............Liberals have made promises for years to minorities to get their vote.....They have lied to them over and over again.....One can tell by the last election when President Bush made great gains with Hispanics that minority is wising up to the lies of the democrats and the left......It is only a matter of time until African Americans do the same........
Not a question of who lies. Bush lied too.
African americans, Latinos, native americans, WASPs, etc.. are ALL lied to.
When was the last time a promise was made during an electoral campaign that was effectively executed (I don't talk 'bout little things). Where has the "smaller govt" promise, the "less debt" promise, etc.. that Bush and Gore used in 2000 gone? I don't say Gore would have done it, I say Bush didn't either.

At the same time, there are a lot of things that happen that were NEVER an issue during the electoral campaigns.

Your only money is your vote. That means that you judge the good candidate for you through his promises during electoral campaigns. They thrick you out of your vote, and do whatever they want (or whatever those that effectively GIVE them something want).

If you don't see that, please open your eyes.

Once again, I'm trying to set up some kind of open publish database allowing to enter the promises the politicians do during electoral campaigns, to be able to compare it with their achievements during their mandate. I have it already for my country for one party. The result is "interesting". If you don't use that kind of tool, you just get tricked out of your vote the next time also.

CU
Y

SouthernDemocrat said:
Ok, wow, 2 out of how many million Republicans. When minorities make up less than 1% of your party, I think that speaks for itself.

You very conveniently forget my liberal friend that African Americans are not the only minority in this country....Republicans picked up huge gains in the 2004 elections with Hispanics who acorfing to the last census now make up the biggest minority in this country........

epr64 said:
Not a question of who lies. Bush lied too.
African americans, Latinos, native americans, WASPs, etc.. are ALL lied to.
When was the last time a promise was made during an electoral campaign that was effectively executed (I don't talk 'bout little things). Where has the "smaller govt" promise, the "less debt" promise, etc.. that Bush and Gore used in 2000 gone? I don't say Gore would have done it, I say Bush didn't either.

At the same time, there are a lot of things that happen that were NEVER an issue during the electoral campaigns.

Your only money is your vote. That means that you judge the good candidate for you through his promises during electoral campaigns. They thrick you out of your vote, and do whatever they want (or whatever those that effectively GIVE them something want).

If you don't see that, please open your eyes.

Once again, I'm trying to set up some kind of open publish database allowing to enter the promises the politicians do during electoral campaigns, to be able to compare it with their achievements during their mandate. I have it already for my country for one party. The result is "interesting". If you don't use that kind of tool, you just get tricked out of your vote the next time also.

CU
Y

I have to give you credit my left wing friend you have the stale old left wing talking points down pat just like your hero Dean......Well the American people are not buying that stale old rhetoric.......You seem Americans are mostly moderate and conservative in this country and will never take the spew that the far left put out seriously..........You can keep trying though.......

Back
Top Bottom