• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Question of Secession Comes up at Texas State Convention in May

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

"Think of the advantages: Cruz can't be president, those Texas Open Carry guys won't be American citizens, and the NFL gets two foreign teams"

“Amber Phillips asked Tuesday in The Washington Post ‘s The Fix “Is Texas really trying to secede from the United States?” Some – many possibly – might cheer at such news. According to Phillips, “When Texas Republicans assemble for their state convention next month, it’s possible they will debate whether Texas should secede from the United States.”……..
…………. Despite all the claims made by secessionists and other fantasies that “there is nothing legally limiting secession,” it’s crazy talk really, because the Supreme Court forbade it in Texas v White (1869) (BUT WHEN DID THAT EVER MATTER) …….

……. So there are lots of reasons ……….
…. “Supporters of and independent Texas allege overreach, corruption and excessive spending by the federal government, and argue that Texas is large and prosperous enough to get by on its own,” when Texas is a moocher state and the recipient of so much of that “excessive spending by the federal government.”…….

……. I’m all for letting them try, but however serious they are, we’ll never get to find out because it’s illegal to secede from the Union. Both the Civil War’s outcome (1865) and the Supreme Court (1869) have put paid to those fantasies.”

DANG………..
…..And I was starting to get excited that it might happen

It is just not going to happen. They can talk about it all they want and even get the usual crowds all hyped up about it... will not happen.

"Think of the advantages: Cruz can't be president, those Texas Open Carry guys won't be American citizens, and the NFL gets two foreign teams"

“Amber Phillips asked Tuesday in The Washington Post ‘s The Fix “Is Texas really trying to secede from the United States?” Some – many possibly – might cheer at such news. According to Phillips, “When Texas Republicans assemble for their state convention next month, it’s possible they will debate whether Texas should secede from the United States.”……..
…………. Despite all the claims made by secessionists and other fantasies that “there is nothing legally limiting secession,” it’s crazy talk really, because the Supreme Court forbade it in Texas v White (1869) (BUT WHEN DID THAT EVER MATTER) …….

…. “Supporters of and independent Texas allege overreach, corruption and excessive spending by the federal government, and argue that Texas is large and prosperous enough to get by on its own,” when Texas is a moocher state and the recipient of so much of that “excessive spending by the federal government.”…….

……. I’m all for letting them try, but however serious they are, we’ll never get to find out because it’s illegal to secede from the Union. Both the Civil War’s outcome (1865) and the Supreme Court (1869) have put paid to those fantasies.”

DANG………..

I would love for them to try just so we can pack them off to a FEMA camp.

A state leaving peacefully is not allowed. Instead if they want to leave they have to choose violence for some reason. Being a union of states that came to voluntarily somehow means being held in bondage is acceptable after such point. I don't know that works, but apparently a lot of other people do.

Last edited:
Dems in DC should push for it, and make it easy for them to leave.

Of the top 5 states with the most electoral votes, Texas is the only 1 defiantly red. They get out the Dems are assured the White House, forever. ;)

A state leaving peacefully is not allowed. Instead if they want to leave they have to choose violence for some reason. Being a union of states that came to voluntarily somehow means being held in bondage is acceptable after such point. I don't know that works, but apparently a lot of other people do.

Yes. A state, nor any of its territory, may ever leave the Union. If any state tries to do so they will be met with overwhelming force. I'm glad you recognize this.

"Held in bondage"

As I recall, Texas tried to bail because they were worried they wouldn't be able to hold other Americans in bondage the first time around.....

"Held in bondage"

As I recall, Texas tried to bail because they were worried they wouldn't be able to hold other Americans in bondage the first time around.....

Cool story. I'm not sure how that warrants Chase pulling stuff out of his ass to hold states to the Union though.

DANG………..

Y'know, before, I would have pooh-poohed this because it would never, ever happen...but how many things have happened over the past ten years that none of us could have foreseen? Don't get me wrong - I'm all for Texas and the rest of the old Confederacy leaving the Union - with the understanding that we will leave them zero nukes and not much in the way of military hardware. That, and we no longer pay for the food stamps, welfare, and other federal assistance that tends to be significantly more prevalent in red states than in blue states. THEN we can all see just how well "small government" with low taxes and weak regulation works out for them....

nothing will happen... even in the odd chance that it's brought up.... there's not enough popular support for secession here in Texas

but it's still nice to see how many people wouldn't allow people to choose their own form of government, if they were so inclined
nothing screams freedom like forcing a people to live under a government they don't want.

Cool story. I'm not sure how that warrants Chase pulling stuff out of his ass to hold states to the Union though.

The interpretation that the states were individual countries died out along time ago, outside of knuckleheads like these guys.

Not to mention the fact that the Union is "one and indivisible"

The interpretation that the states were individual countries died out along time ago, outside of knuckleheads like these guys.

Not to mention the fact that the Union is "one and indivisible"

Where does it say that again? I believe it says something like that in the AOC, but where exactly does it say anything like in the Constitution?

Where does it say that again? I believe it says something like that in the AOC, but where exactly does it say anything like in the Constitution?

The only standard for succession the founders would have accepted was if the rights of the citizen had been fundamentally violated as they had been in the days of George III.

The whole idea of the constitution in the first place, as well as the amendment process, was to create "a more perfect union".

I found an interesting article: A reply to secessionists and nullifiers - Conservative News

It is just not going to happen. They can talk about it all they want and even get the usual crowds all hyped up about it... will not happen.

But do they have any intentions of giving up the foreign aid and economic development money the US send them yearly?

Y'know, before, I would have pooh-poohed this because it would never, ever happen...but how many things have happened over the past ten years that none of us could have foreseen? Don't get me wrong - I'm all for Texas and the rest of the old Confederacy leaving the Union - with the understanding that we will leave them zero nukes and not much in the way of military hardware. That, and we no longer pay for the food stamps, welfare, and other federal assistance that tends to be significantly more prevalent in red states than in blue states. THEN we can all see just how well "small government" with low taxes and weak regulation works out for them....

I retired to Florida a number of years ago from up north............ We found it to have a culture much different than we expected...............For who have retired to Florida from up north...we will refer to Florida as another county high on the list of foreign aid funds paid to them from the US..........

I retired to Florida a number of years ago from up north............ We found it to have a culture much different than we expected...............For who have retired to Florida from up north...we will refer to Florida as another county high on the list of foreign aid funds paid to them from the US..........

When I was in Mississippi, we didn't really count Florida as part of the Deep South - we sometimes referred to it as the Great Northern Retirement Home.

Tex Us ain't going no wares.

Why? I mean, if y'all wanna leave, don't let the door hit ya on the behind on the way out! Heck, as much as the blue states have been supporting red states (since red states have higher percentages of people on welfare and on food stamps, but generally pay out less per capita in federal taxes than blue states do)...heck, we might have a budget surplus within a year!

I'd like to see them secede - I'd actually like to see the country divided into thirds... liberals/progressives, Republicans/neocons, and libertarians. Only 1 of those 3 believes in liberty.

An organized divorce would be better than the direction we're heading, i.e. social, cultural, political, and economic breakdown.

We'll be over $30 trillion in debt within the next 7 years or so, and over $150 trillion in arears to unfunded mandates. We are actually having food fights about whether a man can say he is a woman - his penis, chest hair, and baritone voice notwithstanding. There is no common culture that acts as the glue for a nation; our education system is the most expensive in the world, yet we continue to fall down the rankings; we imprison more people per capita than any nation in the world; we're engaged in perpetual war; our institutions are corrupt and rotten to the core... on and on.

America is all but dead... certainly the rule of law is dead, and with it liberty.

Some fantasies just remain fantasies.... its still good to dream. If they should secede, I hope we can talk them into taking Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama with them... and maybe Oklahoma.

Would love to see the South secede peacefully. Should have been allowed to previously.

Probably the best way would be to use the instruction taught by the great Dr, Martin Luther King and Gandhi. No need for violence, no stupid firing on Ft. Sumter, just a peaceful non compliance. For instance, the majority of the people in all the states that desire secession peacefully from the Union just all quit paying their income taxes, stop abiding by Federal laws. They cannot put 120 plus million folks in jail. Plus the added bonus that we would no longer be contributing to the massive errors in direction as being practiced from our leaders, more our masters, in the money hole known as DC.

Would make liberals happy, would make conservatives very happy... and like Korea, we could then compare the two systems to see which works better, the one under capitalism and true representative democracy, or the ones being controlled by the State.

Some fantasies just remain fantasies.... its still good to dream. If they should secede, I hope we can talk them into taking Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama with them... and maybe Oklahoma.
Like Truman with the Truman Doctrine, we would welcome and assist all good peoples who wanted to truly be free again. Would take them in a heartbeat, they wouldn't have to ask twice.

Back
Top Bottom