• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The problems with food pantries....

I'd smile and say thank you if the alternative was going hungry.

I've lived on worse while working to make things better. What are YOU doing to make things better?

Just in case that wasn't clear enough... how about you GET A JOB so you can BUY some better food? Mow lawns. Go around the neighborhood asking people if there's any work you can for them for a few bucks.... anything.

I've done that before as a grown man when I was between jobs and needed to make some money.

Things aren't adding up. If you are that broke, you should qualify for food stamps. If you make too much money to get food stamps, but are still going to a food pantry for food, you are living above your means and you need to cut back.

Like I told an LT long ago, "Sir we are being baited. If we go down this trail we are going to eat a crap sandwich."

The OP is as bogus as a Hooker's smile. having done a bit of work with food closets I can say the food is very 'modern' and there are a variety of deserts. cans predominate because they don't need power to store, both at the closet and in the end user's home. But there is hamburger and even some microwave stuff.

So I'm inclined to think the OP is a sock or bait to stir the 'get a job ya bum' crowd up.

I just find it odd that someone who can't afford food has the time and access to complain about it on the internet. even if you're posting from a public library or other "free" source...wouldn't this time be better spent trying to find a job? or a better job?
Hokey schmoke...public library...funky posting technique. Could it be???

Are you trolling? Seriously? Dude, I could survive for an entire week on a loaf of bread and a $2 jar of peanut butter. You have some nerve.

I can't tell how many times I've survived on pasta. :lol: And that's without meat sauce too!

Funny thing is, my grandchildren loved those when they were little. Always had a baggie of them on me.

I always just put a little sugar on them. I love any kind of Cheerios.

I can't tell how many times I've survived on pasta. :lol: And that's without meat sauce too!

I like taking cherry tomatoes, drizzling them with olive oil and sprinkling them with basil, then baking them at 350 until they burst. I then add them to a pot of cooked pasta with a little butter, parmesan and rosemary. Yum. It's pretty light, too. I use whole wheat pasta. It's still pasta, but better for you than the regular stuff. Sometimes if I am feeling really naughty, I add sweet Italian sausage and fresh mozzarella. I am not much of a fan of spaghetti sauce.

I like taking cherry tomatoes, drizzling them with olive oil and sprinkling them with basil, then baking them at 350 until they burst. I then add them to a pot of cooked pasta with a little butter, parmesan and rosemary. Yum. It's pretty light, too. I use whole wheat pasta. It's still pasta, but better for you than the regular stuff. Sometimes if I am feeling really naughty, I add sweet Italian sausage and fresh mozzarella. I am not much of a fan of spaghetti sauce.

Gosh, you're making me hungry! :) I LOVE pasta! I make my own spaghetti sauce. I can't even eat the jarred stuff anymore unless I doctor it up. YESSSS, sweet Italian sausage. Mmmmm. Yummy!

I'm starved now. :lol:

:lol: Sorry. We make that a lot during the summer (sans the sausage and mozz) because it's really light. It gets so unbelievable hot down here from about May to about October, that we don't eat anything heavy. We eat salads, we grill out a lot, etc. Definitely nothing to give you a food hangover.

:lol: Sorry. We make that a lot during the summer (sans the sausage and mozz) because it's really light. It gets so unbelievable hot down here from about May to about October, that we don't eat anything heavy. We eat salads, we grill out a lot, etc. Definitely nothing to give you a food hangover.

Pasta salad is good summer food too. I use my crock pot when I want to cook in the summer because it doesn't heat up the house. I make these chicken wings in a brown sugar/soy sauce in the crock pot, and the meat is just falling off the bones. Delish!

pony up the recipe, girlie. I love my crock pot. I actually got one of these a few months ago, and I love it:

Ninja-3-in-1-Cooking-System-300x283.jpg

It's a slow cooker, an oven and also cooks "stovetop." I make so many different things in there LOL. Never heats up the house, either.

Wow, you guys are nothing but stubborn asswipes.

First off, do you guys know what a troll is? If you do, why the **** are you coming to the immediate conclusion that I am a 'troll'? Just because somebody posts something severely controversial doesn't make them a troll.

Secondly, I'll say this again: Bashing me because I am complaining isn't doing anything but making me complain more. It doesn't work that way.

It's obvious that the people on this forum just can't handl controversial topics and irrelevent bitching since all you guys do is accuse people of being a troll JUST because they post sumthing oddly unusual and strange.

You guys are just....I'm not going to say it.

We participate in a local food pantry and it is nothing like what is being described here. The food is current and good. It's a big drive with commercial donations but also private ones, and we all know when it is. A small local grocery store (IGA) plans their 2 for 1 and 5 for 5 sales just before it and clean up. It has even gotten to the point where people have carved out their own niches. We contribute pastas, pasta sauces and vacuum sealed coffee. Someone else handles diapers. Someone else buys tons of breakfast cereal. There is always some outdated stuff and plenty of bags of rice and such, but I see things like Breakfast Essentials mix, powdered baby formulas and even gas station gift cards. The really encouraging part is that we often see people in line to receive one day and helping with distribution the next day. If you want to improve it, don't just be on one side of line all the time, volunteer your time on the other end and see how much better it gets. I know people who absolutely depended on it in the past who are now major contributors. But if you have been in the same situation for a year you don't have a food problem, you have a location problem. It's time to move. There are still people in Detroit waiting for their jobs to come back. It ain't happening. Moving is not that hard to do when you have nothing to carry.

Really great post. Right from your heart. One can tell.

I understand that. But criticizing me for coming on this forum complaining isn't helping me do anything but complain more.

The main thing I am trying to say is that food pantries always givs you food from 1900s and not current food. How would you like it if you were only given plain old cheerios, unflavord milk, cannd vegetabls, spagetti strings but no meat sauce, and a slight-to-moderate load of tomato-related products?' You call that helping the hunger?

Why are you not gratefull? Does the food make you sick? If you dislike the food you have an option. Don't go take it.
Guess you want prime T-Bone, lobster, maybe some fine $200 bottle of wine to go with the free meal.

Bet you could find some ways to cut your household expenses. If you are going to food banks, are you not qualifying for food stamps?

I am not really believing your story., sorry.

First off, do you guys know what a troll is? If you do, why the **** are you coming to the immediate conclusion that I am a 'troll'? Just because somebody posts something severely controversial doesn't make them a troll.

Secondly, I'll say this again: Bashing me because I am complaining isn't doing anything but making me complain more. It doesn't work that way.

It's obvious that the people on this forum just can't handl controversial topics and irrelevent bitching since all you guys do is accuse people of being a troll JUST because they post sumthing oddly unusual and strange.

well, then. What is your recommendation then?

I don't know about "severely controversial." Stupid? Yes. :lamo

:lol: This thread really is funny, if you think about it. Talk about an entitlement complex!

Why are you not gratefull? Does the food make you sick? If you dislike the food you have an option. Don't go take it.
Guess you want prime T-Bone, lobster, maybe some fine $200 bottle of wine to go with the free meal.

Bet you could find some ways to cut your household expenses. If you are going to food banks, are you not qualifying for food stamps?

I am not really believing your story., sorry.

Me neither.

Nope. I said the same thing. Things aren't adding up. If they're that broke, they'd qualify for food stamps. If they make too much money for food stamps, they should cut back on cable, internet, booze, weed, wherever the money goes that it shouldn't be going if times are tight.

Nope. I said the same thing. Things aren't adding up. If they're that broke, they'd qualify for food stamps. If they make too much money for food stamps, they should cut back on cable, internet, booze, weed, wherever the money goes that it shouldn't be going if times are tight.

Most people would be quite grateful for the free food. When you're truly hungry, it doesn't really matter.

Hell no it doesn't matter. If you are really hungry, you'll eat anything.

Back
Top Bottom