• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The problems with food pantries....

marcus903

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am very stressd and unhappy with the services me and my mom is receiving. Because we are in a deep situation (little to no food in the house, going to Mcdonald's to get free food is getting difficult as the year passes, constantly having to call a relativ to bring me food, on the edge of going door-to-door literally begging to food, etc), we hav to go to food pantries. However, going to food pantries are even worse because of the following reasons:

1. Food Pantries Food are way too outdated: These food pantries just luv to lend out canned food (which nobody even eats anymore), cereal with no artifical flavor, food that requires additional food, nothing to drink, no desserts, and food that is just too old. This isn't helping the people dying of starvation, this is just making them worse. When will the current food be given? There has only been ONE time where the food pantry gave me some chips and a few with yogurt and pudding. Seriously, who is giving these people stuff?

2. Food Pantries only givs out donated food: Another reason why food pantries sucks, they only take food people donated. The worse thing is? These donators are often the cause for the number 1 reason. No actual generous person donates frosted flakes, egs, bacon, cocoa puffs, marshmellows, or anything that would now be considerd delicious. They just donate expired and outdated food that no one eats anymore. Another solution to this was to hav the food pantry employees go to the local grocery store and buy a whole bunch of current food, not accept food that people don't like.

3. Food Pantries consists of a long wait: Another issue, you go into the food pantry and take a ticket. Then, wait for possibily an hour or so while the food pantry staff sits there and talk, get food prepared, and get guest information. Why not just cum in and just get the food in a singl fashion line? This is absolutely why food pantries get overcrowded. Seriously, it seems that rich people get all of the good benefits as opposed to poor people.

More reasins to cum. Thanks.

Also, this post contains several spelling jokes. I know how to spell 'come', 'give' and 'have'. I just hav the feeling to spell them differently.

No offense

But it is free food (free to your family), and I expect that food you do not like but can eat is better then no food at all

I love watching people whine about how inconvenient something that's FREE is... :roll:

Apparently you are not starving. You will know when you are because things like artificial flavorings will not even be a concern by then. Don't mean to sound harsh but if you have access to internet but no food then someones priorities are not in the right place.

I was going to say the same exact thing, Dirt Racer. If you can afford $50 a month for internet, you can afford food. Instead of whining about why they aren't giving you a bunch of junk food, you should be thanking them. Sheesh, dude. You were complaining last year about how broke you and your Mom were, and how you were eating McDonalds and crap. Your situation seriously hasn't improved -- in a YEAR? Are you like Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation? You holdin' out for a management position?

We participate in a local food pantry and it is nothing like what is being described here. The food is current and good. It's a big drive with commercial donations but also private ones, and we all know when it is. A small local grocery store (IGA) plans their 2 for 1 and 5 for 5 sales just before it and clean up. It has even gotten to the point where people have carved out their own niches. We contribute pastas, pasta sauces and vacuum sealed coffee. Someone else handles diapers. Someone else buys tons of breakfast cereal. There is always some outdated stuff and plenty of bags of rice and such, but I see things like Breakfast Essentials mix, powdered baby formulas and even gas station gift cards. The really encouraging part is that we often see people in line to receive one day and helping with distribution the next day. If you want to improve it, don't just be on one side of line all the time, volunteer your time on the other end and see how much better it gets. I know people who absolutely depended on it in the past who are now major contributors. But if you have been in the same situation for a year you don't have a food problem, you have a location problem. It's time to move. There are still people in Detroit waiting for their jobs to come back. It ain't happening. Moving is not that hard to do when you have nothing to carry.

I've donated plenty to food pantries, including excess fresh produce from my own garden, goodies from the 2 for 1 sales (as mentioned above), sauces and gravies and other household staples.

Perhaps it's the person doing the 'shopping' at the food pantry that is choosing the less tasty foods.

I am very stressd and unhappy with the services me and my mom is receiving. Because we are in a deep situation (little to no food in the house, going to Mcdonald's to get free food is getting difficult as the year passes, constantly having to call a relativ to bring me food, on the edge of going door-to-door literally begging to food, etc), we hav to go to food pantries. However, going to food pantries are even worse because of the following reasons:

1. Food Pantries Food are way too outdated: These food pantries just luv to lend out canned food (which nobody even eats anymore), cereal with no artifical flavor, food that requires additional food, nothing to drink, no desserts, and food that is just too old. This isn't helping the people dying of starvation, this is just making them worse. When will the current food be given? There has only been ONE time where the food pantry gave me some chips and a few with yogurt and pudding. Seriously, who is giving these people stuff?

2. Food Pantries only givs out donated food: Another reason why food pantries sucks, they only take food people donated. The worse thing is? These donators are often the cause for the number 1 reason. No actual generous person donates frosted flakes, egs, bacon, cocoa puffs, marshmellows, or anything that would now be considerd delicious. They just donate expired and outdated food that no one eats anymore. Another solution to this was to hav the food pantry employees go to the local grocery store and buy a whole bunch of current food, not accept food that people don't like.

3. Food Pantries consists of a long wait: Another issue, you go into the food pantry and take a ticket. Then, wait for possibily an hour or so while the food pantry staff sits there and talk, get food prepared, and get guest information. Why not just cum in and just get the food in a singl fashion line? This is absolutely why food pantries get overcrowded. Seriously, it seems that rich people get all of the good benefits as opposed to poor people.

Also, this post contains several spelling jokes. I know how to spell 'come', 'give' and 'have'. I just hav the feeling to spell them differently.

Dude, nobody owes you food. They give it out of charity (the kindness of their hearts). Pardon me if I fail to cry because you wanted T-bone and Lobster and got cheap cereal and canned spaghetti. You'll live.

There have been times when I was working full time and had bills so bad that we were eating white rice as our main staple for months. White rice with gravy and a little cut up Spam was a GOOD meal in that period of time. I'd take my son to Chik-fil-A once a week and get him a small order of chicken bites to make sure he got some meat... then I'd let him eat the little box of chicken by himself while I sat there and smiled and tried not to drool in sheer food-lust.

And I was working full time.

You don't like pantry food? Get a job.

I smell a POE in the OP...but just in case. You should absolutely make gazillions and dedicate your life to stocking food pantries with top quality merchandise. I work with several food banks, and I know they bust their hump to stretch resources as far as possible and do an amazing job. I highly recommend people spend some volunteer time in food banks, community centers (especially during Christmas time), and kitchens.

I smell a POE in the OP...but just in case. You should absolutely make gazillions and dedicate your life to stocking food pantries with top quality merchandise. I work with several food banks, and I know they bust their hump to stretch resources as far as possible and do an amazing job. I highly recommend people spend some volunteer time in food banks, community centers (especially during Christmas time), and kitchens.

I've done some of that and agree with you. And with Tech. My local food pantry is excellent.

I don't understand the complaint about canned foods--the point is that they're "non-perishable."

I just find it odd that someone who can't afford food has the time and access to complain about it on the internet. even if you're posting from a public library or other "free" source...wouldn't this time be better spent trying to find a job? or a better job?

I'm disappointed in food pantries, too. I found out our local food pantries don't qualify people who come in to pick up free food, and young married ladies in the neighborhood have found out it's a great way to get free staples.

I've donated canned hams, Tastefully Simple products, turkeys and turkey coupons, baskets at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Maybe you should move to another neighborhood. Or cancel your internet service, pawn your computer and use that extra money to fill in the blanks. Or . . . wait for it . . . actually get a job.

It may depend. FOr the longest time the Salvation Army was the only food place in my town--they had a lot of dented cans and crap like that. After a scandal broke out they they were having special hours for special patrons and some other things, several churches formed a food pantry that is now just amazingly well stocked. They do meat and dairy and get a lot of community support for fresh veg and the like, and also have cash to buy when supplies run low. They bought and redid a commercial building to expand and are doing great things.

I'd take my son to Chik-fil-A once a week and get him a small order of chicken bites to make sure he got some meat... then I'd let him eat the little box of chicken by himself while I sat there and smiled and tried not to drool in sheer food-lust.

That is just so sweet :)

As far as the free food, if you are in such a deep situation why are you not getting food stamps? If you don't qualify then I am sure you have enough to buy a $2 bag of generic frosted flakes that you are wanting. And what's with the spelling joke? I don't get it :confused:

Dude, nobody owes you food. They give it out of charity (the kindness of their hearts). Pardon me if I fail to cry because you wanted T-bone and Lobster and got cheap cereal and canned spaghetti. You'll live.

There have been times when I was working full time and had bills so bad that we were eating white rice as our main staple for months. White rice with gravy and a little cut up Spam was a GOOD meal in that period of time. I'd take my son to Chik-fil-A once a week and get him a small order of chicken bites to make sure he got some meat... then I'd let him eat the little box of chicken by himself while I sat there and smiled and tried not to drool in sheer food-lust.

And I was working full time.

You don't like pantry food? Get a job.

Amen, brutha. I've seen my mother stretch $15 for groceries for 6 people for a week. She could stretch a dollar 'til it screamed. Her frugality rubbed off on me, and if I had to, I could buy food for my family for a week for $20 (inflation LOL). We wouldn't be eating the best food, but we wouldn't be hungry.

We participate in a local food pantry and it is nothing like what is being described here. The food is current and good. It's a big drive with commercial donations but also private ones, and we all know when it is. A small local grocery store (IGA) plans their 2 for 1 and 5 for 5 sales just before it and clean up. It has even gotten to the point where people have carved out their own niches. We contribute pastas, pasta sauces and vacuum sealed coffee. Someone else handles diapers. Someone else buys tons of breakfast cereal. There is always some outdated stuff and plenty of bags of rice and such, but I see things like Breakfast Essentials mix, powdered baby formulas and even gas station gift cards. The really encouraging part is that we often see people in line to receive one day and helping with distribution the next day. If you want to improve it, don't just be on one side of line all the time, volunteer your time on the other end and see how much better it gets. I know people who absolutely depended on it in the past who are now major contributors. But if you have been in the same situation for a year you don't have a food problem, you have a location problem. It's time to move. There are still people in Detroit waiting for their jobs to come back. It ain't happening. Moving is not that hard to do when you have nothing to carry.

Best post I have seen on this topic. We donate a bag of canned food every time the Postal Service does it's local drive. Most times it's Chef Boyardee and Veggies. We donated two deer last year as well, processed already on top of it all. I have a bunch of canned goods as prepping stocks so not sure why anyone would turn there nose up at them? I remember when I first moved out on my own. It was generic mac and cheese Ramen Noodles and dry cereal with no milk for about 3 months. I lived just fine. Every once in a while I would save up for a pack of Bologna. That was high living there!

Wow. I was honest to at least tell you guys that we had the nerv to at least go to a food pantry and you guys are just going to picker at me because of this complaint?

Don't you guys get it? We'v actually hav had money. But 99% of them is used to pay bills. The reason for my bitching should be obvious. Also, the person I am living with actually HAS a job that pays $12 an hour, but again: Most of the money goes on bills.

However, we did get sum money this week and we now hav food in the house. So, the problem has been temporarily resolvd.

It seems that the people on the internet just can't handl someone complaining on the internet. I don't no why this has to happen when I complain on these forums but several other members gets counseld and advise when they complain. Now, it has cum to my attention that people just don't understand the situations I've been in.

Excuse the spelling mistakes in this post, I just hav the need to spell things differently.

Why not cut back on your bills? Sorry, but it sounds like you are living above your means. Before I'd beg and go to a food pantry, I'd cut back on internet, or cable, or something.

We all feel compassion for your situation Marcus, many of us have been there ourselves. However, what we object to is your attitude. That's all on you fella. The people in your community are stepping up to help you and you have assinine complaints about the service. That's going to earn you derision wherever you go.

We all feel compassion for your situation Marcus, many of us have been there ourselves. However, what we object to is your attitude. That's all on you fella. The people in your community are stepping up to help you and you have assinine complaints about the service. That's going to earn you derision wherever you go.

what's the old saying? ah...yes..... "BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS"

I understand that. But criticizing me for coming on this forum complaining isn't helping me do anything but complain more.

The main thing I am trying to say is that food pantries always givs you food from 1900s and not current food. How would you like it if you were only given plain old cheerios, unflavord milk, cannd vegetabls, spagetti strings but no meat sauce, and a slight-to-moderate load of tomato-related products?' You call that helping the hunger?

I understand that. But criticizing me for coming on this forum complaining isn't helping me do anything but complain more.

The main thing I am trying to say is that food pantries always givs you food from 1900s and not current food. How would you like it if you were only given plain old cheerios, unflavord milk, cannd vegetabls, spagetti strings but no meat sauce, and a slight-to-moderate load of tomato-related products?' You call that helping the hunger?

Are you trolling? Seriously? Dude, I could survive for an entire week on a loaf of bread and a $2 jar of peanut butter. You have some nerve.

I'd smile and say thank you if the alternative was going hungry.

I've lived on worse while working to make things better. What are YOU doing to make things better?

I get it, it's coming across loud and clear you're very young (or doing a credible job of faking it in order to troll). It is no one's job here to help you with your complaining - again, that's all on you.

And yes, I do call that helping the hungry. You obviously have never lived on tomato "soup" made out of ketchup packets and hot water or food you found growing beside the road. There have been, thankfully very short, periods in my life where I would have been very happy to have any of the food you just listed all by itself.

How old are you Marcus?

Back
Top Bottom