• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Problem With Privatizing Social Security...

Really? I always thought the purpose was to get the young to pay for the old by force. I have to admit I love hearing old people scream to people like myself that we want to take away their social security. Hey, what could possibly be wrong about supporting the theft of your children to support you? I can't think of anything, can you?
Children support their parents. It's Biblical.

Payback is a bitch eh?

Children support their parents. It's Biblical.

Payback is a bitch eh?

Children support their parents by choice, not force.

What payback? What did I ever do to these old people?

You grew up using what they paid for.

My parents are not yet on Social Security, so again, what did I ever do to these old people? As for my parents, they would never hold their choice to raise and care for me against me in such a way. I wouldn't imagine any loving parent would. Why would anyone that loves someone else and took it on themselves to care for that person for a time ever hold it against them later?

Last edited:
My parents are not yet on Social Security, so again, what did I ever do to these old people? As for my parents, they would never hold their choice to raise and care for me against me in such a way. I wouldn't imagine any loving parent would.
As I said, they paid for part of your way. It's payback time, until you retire that is.

As I said, they paid for part of your way. It's pay-back time, until you retire that is.

I don't owe them anything nor do they ask for anything from me. Why would a loving parent require their children to pay them back for raising them? What kind of messed up **** is that?

I don't owe them anything nor do they ask for anything from me.
Your parents? That's on you. What you owe the society that paid for what you used growing up is a bit from each paycheck, for the rest of your life.

I don't owe them anything nor do they ask for anything from me. Why would a loving parent require their children to pay them back for raising them? What kind of messed up **** is that?
You owe that to your kids. It's what you owe us that is my concern.

Your parents? That's on you. What you owe the society that paid for what you used growing up is a bit from each paycheck, for the rest of your life.

WTF?! Now I owe society? I don't owe society anything and I surely don't owe complete strangers anything.

WTF?! Now I owe society? I don't owe society anything and I surely don't owe complete strangers anything.
You always owe society. This should not be news to you? And yes you owe strangers. Those roads and bridges didn't pay for and build themselves.

Maybe in the 40s but with all the research and training tools we have today there really isn't any reason to expect that people wouldn't be capable of doing that. And even then why not make it optional so those with no investment knowladge stay in and those with some opt out.

How many people do you know that have substantial savings? Any? A few?

Maybe in some parallel universe, you'll find a bunch of guys like me. When I made $40 a week, I used to bank $18. But I always lived below my means and I had the good fortune to have a few successful businesses. I ended up paying $180K to SS over my lifetime and now I'm forced to keep on living in order to get even.

Actually SS isn't a bad deal. For probably 90% of the population, that's what they'll live on in their dotage.

You always owe society. This should not be news to you? And yes you owe strangers. Those roads and bridges didn't pay for and build themselves.

No, I owe no one anything. Taxes are not a duty to your fellow citizens or the government, but something the government takes from you by force to do as it sees fit. People need to stop thinking they can make me owe them something just because they desire it.

No, I owe no one anything. Taxes are not a duty to your fellow citizens or the government, but something the government takes from you by force to do as it sees fit. People need to stop thinking they can make me owe them something just because they desire it.
Put down the Rand and pick up the Reality.

This should help: http://www.governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=17

Put down the Rand and pick up the Reality.

The reality is I don't owe you anything. Simply taking from people by force and providing services and creating government obligations does not mean I owe anyone a thing.

The reality is I don't owe you anything. Simply taking from people by force and providing services and creating government obligations does not mean I owe anyone a thing.
You owed it the day you were born. It's a package deal. Sorry.

You owed it the day you were born. It's a package deal. Sorry.

No, I'm born with no obligations to anyone and I only pick up those obligations I accept along the way. There is no such thing as an obligation to complete strangers or to the government for simply being born.

No, I'm born with no obligations to anyone and I only pick up those obligations I accept along the way. There is no such thing as an obligation to complete strangers or to the government for simply being born.
I can't help anyone who ignores reality at that level. You should read the link I posted, it looks pretty good.

I can't help anyone who ignores reality at that level. You should read the link I posted, it looks pretty good.

I have no interest in your link. I know my obligations very well, thank you.

Apparently not but that's for you to find out.

No, you just have this idea that has been drilled into your head from an early age that taxes are dues that citizens pay when the fact is they are nothing but something the government imposes on their people as it has been since taxes were invented.

No, you just have this idea that has been drilled into your head from an early age that taxes are dues that citizens pay when the fact is they are nothing but something the government imposes on their people as it has been since taxes were invented.
Not at all. If you read the link you'd know why taxes are necessary. As an FYI, Capitalism can't exist without taxation because of what said taxes pay for. Look into that, maybe it will make you feel better?

When SS started, the debate was should it be a savings program or an entitlement.
Entitlement won.

Immediately elderly who had never paid in a single penny began receiving SS benefits. and continues, those working pay for those receiving. It NEVER was a savings plan.

The sad part is so much excess SS was being paid in, it could have been both. But the govt couldn't keep their hands off all that money.
Eisenhour used the surplus SS funds to pay for the interstate highway system.

Next time you are driving on an interstate 4 lane or 6 lane doing 70, 75, 80 mph? That's the SS money YOU are using that others paid in in the 50s.

Last edited:
Not at all. If you read the link you'd know why taxes are necessary. As an FYI, Capitalism can't exist without taxation because of what taxes provide. Look into that, maybe it will make you feel better?

Hogwash. All of it.

Back
Top Bottom