• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The President displays leadership on Syria ...this is another victory for him

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
First has anyone heard of another Chemical weapon attack since Obama spoke against it?
The next thing we are learning is ...Assad and his minions are crapping their pants at the thought of a US strike.
Assad for all his talk may be left defense less as his cronies flee for their lives... should the US attack. As a result ...Assad is willing to give up his weapon.

All along what was Obama's intent ....to stop the use of WMD in the region, and to protect the US. And it seems his skillful leadership now have several avenues at which this would be achieved. Whether by a direct attack ...or by Assad giving up his WMD ...Obama will end up reducing Syria power...and their ability to attack anyone.....brilliant!! :bravo:

This is a direct tie to US security because with them holding WMD there was always the chance of it getting into the wrong hands.
How juvenile is the right wing in thinking the ...red-line talk was the issue. It wasn't ...Obama will allow you to have your .."fun"...but the man is heady and have a level of maturity that will not stop him from doing what's right for the country.

Sorry guys ...duped again by the master!!:2wave:

First has anyone heard of another Chemical weapon attack since Obama spoke against it?
The next thing we are learning is ...Assad and his minions are crapping their pants at the thought of a US strike.
Assad for all his talk may be left defense less as his cronies flee for their lives... should the US attack. As a result ...Assad is willing to give up his weapon.

All along what was Obama's intent ....to stop the use of WMD in the region, and to protect the US. And it seems his skillful leadership now have several avenues at which this would be achieved. Whether by a direct attack ...or by Assad giving up his WMD ...Obama will end up reducing Syria power...and their ability to attack anyone.....brilliant!! :bravo:

This is a direct tie to US security because with them holding WMD there was always the chance of it getting into the wrong hands.
How juvenile is the right wing in thinking the ...red-line talk was the issue. It wasn't ...Obama will allow you to have your .."fun"...but the man is heady and have a level of maturity that will not stop him from doing what's right for the country.

Pffffffffft, Obama got his ass handed to him by Putin. Putin showed what leadership is.

You do realize he drew his imaginary redline that was a redline that wasn't a redline that was the world's redline not his redline prior to us knowing of an attack don't you? You do also realize that his inability to prove that there was a chemical weapons attack by the government of Syria is why nobody but France supports the US on this don't you?

No need to apologize to us for your being duped--apologize to your parents. They probably had such high hopes for you at some point.

Pffffffffft, Obama got his ass handed to him by Putin. Putin showed what leadership is.

Don't you think it was ALWAYS Putin that was gonna be "the one". He just had to have a nudge to get there.

I think on this one, we were playing checkers, but Obama was playing chess.;)

But let us see it all paly out first.

I really do not care who gets the credit if this works out. Obama, Putin, Assad, Boehner or Reid, your name it. As long as we do not have to get involved in another war in the Middle East I consider that a win. President Obama may be the luckiest president, serendipity if you will for Putin gift on how to get out of the corner he backed himself in or he may be the adept president at foreign policy and this is what he had in mind from the beginning. I don't care. As long as we stay out, I am one happy camper.

Amazing display of blind loyalty. Pretty much wrong on every point, but dang loyal. Also, an outstanding demonstration of how we should interpret any further posts from you regarding politics. Thank you for that.

It takes a great amount of daring to come out that strongly, when the rest of the country, even many of the President's strongest supporters in Congress, are in total disagreement with you.

No kidding, I applaud your strength of commitment. I disagree with you, but I respect your strength.

Who could possibly have seen this kind of post coming?

Oh, wait:

My sense is that there will copious claims that Obama "rope-a-doped" for exactly this result.

Of course, what this really amounts to is two allies who are adversaries of the US patting each other on the back for taking advantage of a vacuum in US leadership. This is a classic move from the Cold War.

Putin is no "voice of reason." Putin is making a Cold War play. And if it works, it will be a big win for him.

Not that there won't be those who try to argue that it was Obama's brilliant plan all along to get this to happen, of course. There will be.

thinkforyoursel (sic) obviously had kneepads at the ready.

So, I used to live in Korea and I had 2 Syrian families in the US that were my clients. I got to know these people and their families a bit. They were very smart, very cagy and evcen very mean. But they were intelligent, educated and very successful.

So, do you think Assad is a moron? That he's illiterate, uneducated and dumb?

First I heard Obama say "you better not use chemical weapons dude. Red line."

Then Assad decided he wasn't having enough problems so he trotted out some CW and created an incident whose film has been shown around the world.

There is a chicken/egg conundrum here.

Amazing display of blind loyalty. Pretty much wrong on every point, but dang loyal. Also, an outstanding demonstration of how we should interpret any further posts from you regarding politics. Thank you for that.

It takes a great amount of daring to come out that strongly, when the rest of the country, even many of the President's strongest supporters in Congress, are in total disagreement with you.

No kidding, I applaud your strength of commitment. I disagree with you, but I respect your strength.

Yeah ..I know ....it also took a lot of courage to have been against the Iraq war too.

LOL...here's a joke ....it takes courage to be against the lowest rated congress ever....:lamo

The house is filled with carpet baggers buddy .... your TEA P-U-U-U-R-R-T-Y candidates are not respected when they crawl out of the jerry rigged rat holes that spawned them.

Obama out-smart you buffoons again on this one ...and while at it ... he will make the region just a tad more safer for America.

You do realize he drew his imaginary redline that was a redline that wasn't a redline that was the world's redline not his redline prior to us knowing of an attack don't you? You do also realize that his inability to prove that there was a chemical weapons attack by the government of Syria is why nobody but France supports the US on this don't you?

No need to apologize to us for your being duped--apologize to your parents. They probably had such high hopes for you at some point.

OK ..buddy keep focusing on the ...RED-LINE....go ahead.....watch the ...RED-LINE....go ahead keep staring at the RED-LINE.......focus...focus...you need to focus....RED-LINE...RED-LINE....RED-LINE ....RED-LINE :mrgreen:

OK ..buddy keep focusing on the ...RED-LINE....go ahead.....watch the ...RED-LINE....go ahead keep staring at the RED-LINE.......focus...focus...you need to focus....RED-LINE...RED-LINE....RED-LINE ....RED-LINE :mrgreen:

And when Obama bombs anyway you will be like "Oh when I was saying he was a master for avoiding bombing it was because I knew he was going to bomb and was just tricking people into believing he wasn't going to bomb so they would be caught off guard". You would celebrate him bombing your own mother's house I think because that is what special supporters are like......

Giving speeches, waffling, denying you said stuff, being indecisive, and then passing the buck to congress is what we're calling leadership now? No, I think its pretty obvious that Obama has no clue what hes doing.

1) Obama "spoke against" Syrian chemical weapon use in August 2012. Syrians used chemical weapons nine times since then, the latest a year after the "red-line" speech. So yes, everyone has heard of chemical weapon attacks since Obama spoke against it.

2) Assad may be somewhat nervous about Obama, but what really scares and motivates Assad is Putin. Assad does what Putin tells him and Putin's pulling the strings here. Putin doesn't want to lose his client state, his only warm water port or his base of influence in the Middle East. Obama inadvertently stumbled into Putin's vulnerability zone. Better to be lucky than smart. Similar to the OP.

Despite all the facts and assertions being wrong, the president jerking the country back and forth between war and fecklessness, Putin may have temporarily steered us around a Syrian conflict (for his own selfish interest). But make no mistake, Putin wants those chemical weapons at his disposal, either directly or through a proxy client. So, watch for those chemical weapons to reappear in the near future. Rebranded and relabeled as Al Qaeda, Iranian or Hezbollah weapons.

We voters need to start choosing smarter leaders. Saying Obama has a 170 IQ doesn't make it so. Obama is borderline retarded and worse, he's lazy. He's a classic doper. Obama's term is nearly over, so let's start making sure we select an intelligent leader next time? And no, Hillary "what difference does it make" Clinton doesn't count.

I guess if Obama can't actually acomplish anything, you can give him credit for trying (by trying I mean giving more speeches). That is what the Presidency has come to.

I guess if Obama can't actually acomplish anything, you can give him credit for trying (by trying I mean giving more speeches). That is what the Presidency has come to.

I guess is leadership is about talking and then blaming others.

How? He denied that the Syrian gov used chemical weapons and is now trying to get his ally to hand over its arsenal of which he apparently was not guilty of using.

That's pretty poor leadership.

How? He denied that the Syrian gov used
chemical weapons and is now trying to get his ally to hand over its arsenal of which he apparently was not guilty of using.

That's pretty poor leadership.

The point is Obama stumbled into a "diplomatic" solution that doesn't even stop the war.

Asaad is back to bombing the rebels today.

And liberals are championing this as a foreign policy victory for a incompetent president

I guess they're Liberals for a reason.

The point is Obama stumbled into a "diplomatic" solution that doesn't even stop the war.

Asaad is back to bombing the rebels today.

And liberals are championing this as a foreign policy victory for a incompetent president

I guess they're Liberals for a reason.

That's not the point to which i rssponded. The point i addressed was that Putin scored a victory when he clearly didn't.

Maybe they both look like hapless idiots, but Putin certainly hasn't won anything.

That's not the point to which i rssponded.
The point i addressed was that Putin scored a victory when he clearly didn't.

Maybe they both look like hapless idiots, but Putin certainly hasn't won anything.

IF you look at it through the eyes of the Western media it may look like they're both idiots, but Putin could give a rats ass about how he's portrayed in the media.

He stopped the Cruise missle strikes didn't he ?

So Asaad could start killing Rebels again.

That's not the point to which i rssponded.
The point i addressed was that Putin scored a victory when he clearly didn't.

IF you look at it through the eyes of the Western media it may look like they're both idiots, but Putin could give a rats ass about how he's portrayed in the media.

So Asaad could start killing Rebels again without the threat of American intervention.

It looks like a win to me for Putin.

I really do not care who gets the credit if this works out. Obama, Putin, Assad, Boehner or Reid, your name it. As long as we do not have to get involved in another war in the Middle East I consider that a win. President Obama may be the luckiest president, serendipity if you will for Putin gift on how to get out of the corner he backed himself in or he may be the adept president at foreign policy and this is what he had in mind from the beginning. I don't care. As long as we stay out, I am one happy camper.

I agree...I had no doubt in my mind(mentioned that few times here also) that we would not attack Syria as Obama was the man to stop Israel from attacking Iran...Despite Republicans and some blue dog Democrats Calling for Blood and drooling at another invasion and air strike and killing and blowing up people and things... the air strike would serve no purpose. Invasion would server no purpose. Now the questions is would this help to curtail the civil war in Syria, or perhaps end it?...then what. If not Assad then who? Look at Egypt, or Libya...Democracy is all good and dandy but it is also messy and not always goes in the way that people want.

the question is do you prefer a brutal dictator and a stable country or you prefer democracy and unstable country for a long while?

Many countries in the middle east need to go through what I call Social Evolution as Europe and US did. Those times were transient and violent, we can not achieve peace unless this thing happens, the question is can we afford to let it happen given that our and most of the world's economy is tied to their resources?

Diving Mullah

So Asaad could start killing Rebels again.

No, I'm looking at it through the eyes of the Russians. You're looking at it through the eyes of the American media.

Putin has given up Assads one major deterrent due to a vague red line over something he claims his ally wasnt guilty of. That looks incredibly weak by any measure.

Oops! I thought I was on a humor thread..... so.. nothing to add here.

Thom Paine

Well, one person got duped - that's for sure!!!

Back
Top Bottom