• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The president’s speech and its implications

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
by Paul Mirengoff
July 20, 2013

As I suggested yesterday, President Obama’s little speech about the Trayvon Martin matter seemed to have two purposes. First, he wanted to explain to whites why so many blacks are up in arms about a jury decision that most whites believe was correct (and that Obama himself apparently finds no fault with). Second, he wanted to assure blacks that he shares their pain, while preparing them for the prospect of federal inaction against George Zimmerman.

Both of these purposes seem marginally worthwhile to me. However, in serving them, Obama put plenty of stuff out there, much of which has interesting implications that he may or may not have considered. During the next few days, I plan to write about some of these implications.

Let’s start with the implications of Obama’s discussion of how African-Americans are scarred by their nearly universal experiences of being profiled and receiving adverse reactions from whites as they go about their everyday business. A very perceptive friend, who has studied racial disparities for decades, writes:

[Excerpt]

Read more:
The president’s speech and its implications | Power Line

Does anyone argue that many law abiding black males are deeply resentful of the young blacks whose conduct produces the tendency to profile blacks as a class and that many of them have suffered by the very hoodlums that continue to prey on them.

by Paul Mirengoff
July 20, 2013

As I suggested yesterday, President Obama’s little speech about the Trayvon Martin matter seemed to have two purposes. First, he wanted to explain to whites why so many blacks are up in arms about a jury decision that most whites believe was correct (and that Obama himself apparently finds no fault with). Second, he wanted to assure blacks that he shares their pain, while preparing them for the prospect of federal inaction against George Zimmerman.

Both of these purposes seem marginally worthwhile to me. However, in serving them, Obama put plenty of stuff out there, much of which has interesting implications that he may or may not have considered. During the next few days, I plan to write about some of these implications.

Let’s start with the implications of Obama’s discussion of how African-Americans are scarred by their nearly universal experiences of being profiled and receiving adverse reactions from whites as they go about their everyday business. A very perceptive friend, who has studied racial disparities for decades, writes:

[Excerpt]

Read more:
The president’s speech and its implications | Power Line

Does anyone argue that many law abiding black males are deeply resentful of the young blacks whose conduct produces the tendency to profile blacks as a class and that many of them have suffered by the very hoodlums that continue to prey on them.

The Powerline blog which the OP links to typically supports the conservative agenda.

It criticized President G.W Bush for not being conservative enough,but, on the other hand, it supported his use of torture.

I guess that you win some, and you lose some.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

I'm not black so I don't have quite the barometer that you might be looking for, but from the outside looking in I see a young generation that has a bad rep (and in some instances it is warranted) and I think it reflects on the race as a whole unfavorably. Honestly speaking, though a large percent of black teenagers engage in illegal behaviors, which is why they garner that rep. Statistically speaking whites don't have the same reputation. I don't want this to be skewed as racism, it's just facts. Equality in justice is a two way street, if blacks feel they are being profiled unfairly and a larger majority of blacks are being arrested for crimes, then they need to work on decreasing those numbers. The Justice Department can't just turn a blind eye on crime to equal out the ratio of whites to blacks incarcerated. Please don't get me wrong, I think there is some bias and injustice in the system, but it doesn't make up for the huge gaps in statistics.

I'm honestly just glad this topic had no mention of Obama trying to violate our 2nd Amendment rights :p

Jesse Jackson always wanted to be President, well after that speech the other day it appears we have a surrogate.

More leading from behind and small ball from Barak Obama.
We have men and women in harms way around the globe.
We have major cities failing and filing for bankruptcy.
We have gas prices $2.00 a gallon higher then when he was first elected.
Millions are on the verge of losing jobs, and or healthcare.
We have a slow to no economic recovery.
We flushed almost a trillion dollars down the tube to bail out companies like GM and the banks.
We have yet to have real immigration reform.
500 a year dead in Chicago, Obama's "hometown". From gun violence.
But Obama will dedicate time and effort to "Trayvon Martin".
Obama is a disgrace.

More leading from behind and small ball from Barak Obama.
We have men and women in harms way around the globe.
We have major cities failing and filing for bankruptcy.
We have gas prices $2.00 a gallon higher then when he was first elected.
Millions are on the verge of losing jobs, and or healthcare.
We have a slow to no economic recovery.
We flushed almost a trillion dollars down the tube to bail out companies like GM and the banks.
We have yet to have real immigration reform.
500 a year dead in Chicago, Obama's "hometown". From gun violence.
But Obama will dedicate time and effort to "Trayvon Martin".
Obama is a disgrace.

The history of Black Chicago since the 1920 and 1930s would surprise you.

America Behind The Color Line: Dialogues with African Americans: Henry Louis Gates: Amazon.com: Books

Back
Top Bottom