• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The pregnant mother as a life support system

tom_jord

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We all know that unborn babies live off of their mothers during her pregnancy. The mother is physically a life support system for her unborn baby. To those who oppose abortion, are you okay with pregnant women having no choice but to be a life support system for their unborn child for the duration of their pregnancy?

We all know that unborn babies live off of their mothers during her pregnancy. The mother is physically a life support system for her unborn baby. To those who oppose abortion, are you okay with pregnant women having no choice but to be a life support system for their unborn child for the duration of their pregnancy?

It doesn't matter if anyone is OK with it or not. It's how it is. The only alternative is to deny the most innocent of all human beings the right to life; I am most certainly not OK with that.

Firstly, life support systems is a rather grim term to call a pregnant woman. Secondly, anyone worth their salt is pro-abortion but simply pro-choice. With that being said, I think it is a woman's decision to do what she wants with her body.

It doesn't matter if anyone is OK with it or not. It's how it is. The only alternative is to deny the most innocent of all human beings the right to life; I am most certainly not OK with that.

I didn't ask if it matters if anyone is OK with it or not. I asked if you are OK with it or not. Based on your response I take that you are more okay with women being forced to be life support systems when they're pregnant, than with women having the option to refuse being a life support system, killing their unborn baby in the process.

Firstly, life support systems is a rather grim term to call a pregnant woman. Secondly, anyone worth their salt is pro-abortion but simply pro-choice. With that being said, I think it is a woman's decision to do what she wants with her body.

I know pregnant women are more than just life support systems, just like how an employee is more than just a worker, they are people too.

I'm ok with reality.

I'm super radical. I think the mom should support her child's life even after he/she is born all the way up to where they attain the ability to take care of themselves. Crazy concept, I know, this caring for children thing is.

I'm ok with reality.

Please provide evidence of this statement. The comments I have seen indicate this is not an accurate claim.

I would say they are okay with it or they wouldn't be anti choice.

Without a doubt

Yes, I'm absolutely okay with it.

Yes, I'm absolutely okay with it.

How is that much different from believing that even after birth, for the next eighteen years, the parents are obligated to provide for the needs of their children? The reality is that it is not just in gestation, but for most of the first two decades of life, that a new human being is not yet able to fend for himself, and requires others to help care for him.

How is that much different from believing that even after birth, for the next eighteen years, the parents are obligated to provide for the needs of their children? The reality is that it is not just in gestation, but for most of the first two decades of life, that a new human being is not yet able to fend for himself, and requires others to help care for him.

After birth, the child can be raised by anyone willing to do it and it doesn't affect the woman's body like pregnancy does.

I didn't ask if it matters if anyone is OK with it or not. I asked if you are OK with it or not. Based on your response I take that you are more okay with women being forced to be life support systems when they're pregnant, than with women having the option to refuse being a life support system, killing their unborn baby in the process.

I know pregnant women are more than just life support systems, just like how an employee is more than just a worker, they are people too.

You seem to be saying that removing reproductive choice is the commodification of women. I agree. Those on the right don't care if it is or isn't, they have created for themselves a fetal dogma, which is that fetuses are "the most innocent of all human beings". *sniff* *sob*

Declaring fetal innocence, as if a being that doesn't think or breath or defecate, except through another's blood stream, can be innocent, is the flip side of declaring women to be guilty, baby-killing whores. It's part of the age-old struggle to impose religious patriarchy, in the form of sexual stigmas, upon women. It's no coincidence that you don't see crowds of doctors and scientists among the anti-choice demonstrations because science does not subjectively ignore uncomfortable facts, such as that fetuses are not individual humans with rights. The faithful happen to be excellent at pretending, though, and can imagine all sorts of realities that conflict with actual data. They are as intellectually lazy as they are spiritually diligent and socially apathetic.

I'm super radical. I think the mom should support her child's life even after he/she is born all the way up to where they attain the ability to take care of themselves. Crazy concept, I know, this caring for children thing is.

At the point that a woman makes the choice to have the child she takes on the responsibility for caring for the child at least until they reach adulthood.

The choice isn't made, however, simply because she decided to have sex.

Once a woman is pregnant she should be forced, if necessary, to carry the child to birth.

ZEF's do not have a right to life. Abortion is a legal procedure and that is because a woman (who is pregnant) to make a medical decision about what happens in her womb. If she does not want to be pregnant and is shortly pregnant than she has that right.

ZEF's do not have a right to life. Abortion is a legal procedure and that is because a woman (who is pregnant) to make a medical decision about what happens in her womb. If she does not want to be pregnant and is shortly pregnant than she has that right.

So true, Peter. Don't ya wish ya had a nickel for everytime you've posted the above (or the equivalent currency)?

The born technically don't have a "right to life". Our Constitution states in the 5th and 14th Amendments, "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;" People's lives are terminated by governments in the U.S. all the time Soooo?

And on a Universal scale. Naaawh. Laws nor belief systems can absolutely protect one from being killed.

Obviously, the "right to life" theory doesn't hold up.

"Right to life" is a term subscribed to mostly by pro-life and/or individuals who believe "natural rights" exists. Not sure what good it brings to the world to subscribe to such. Gosh, religions have preached "thy shall not kill" for eons. That effort has been to no avail. Not even the threat of eternity in hell prevents people from killing each other. Of course there were times that the religions were the one's doing the killing, but who's splitting hairs?

So true, Peter. Don't ya wish ya had a nickel for everytime you've posted the above (or the equivalent currency)?

The born technically don't have a "right to life". Our Constitution states in the 5th and 14th Amendments, "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;" People's lives are terminated by governments in the U.S. all the time Soooo?

And on a Universal scale. Naaawh. Laws nor belief systems can absolutely protect one from being killed.

Obviously, the "right to life" theory doesn't hold up.

"Right to life" is a term subscribed to mostly by pro-life and/or individuals who believe "natural rights" exists. Not sure what good it brings to the world to subscribe to such. Gosh, religions have preached "thy shall not kill" for eons. That effort has been to no avail. Not even the threat of eternity in hell prevents people from killing each other. Of course there were times that the religions were the one's doing the killing, but who's splitting hairs?

I would be a wealthy man ;)

But seriously, you are right. The right to life concept is a hollow excuse used by the pro-life supporters to justify their denial of an actual right that women have got, the right to self determination regarding medical decisions like (but not limited to) abortion.

Nobody in the US is guaranteed the right to life, because if that were true IMHO, the conservatives would not be so anti-Obamacare, so anti-social security, pro-death penalty, pro guns, because all of those are in line with a right to life (or the protection of a right to life). But that is my point of view, conservatives (and even liberals on some points) will no doubt disagree totally or partially.

Because you'll never know what it's like to be pregnant so you base everything off of your ignorance.
Is that right? You think that I comment out of my ignorance. But I have to ask how you know it? Like for instance, how do you know that it's not your opinion that's ignorant? You have your opinion, and I have mine. we can't be right? Please explain this to me. I have to know.

Is that right? You think that I comment out of my ignorance. But I have to ask how you know it? Like for instance, how do you know that it's not your opinion that's ignorant? You have your opinion, and I have mine. we can't be right? Please explain this to me. I have to know.

My opinion is not based on ignorance because I'm putting the entire thing into the hands of the women who know themselves and pregnancy best. Your opinion puts the thing solely into your hands and the women must abide by you when you know nothing about the ordeal that is pregnancy.

There is your explanation.

Is that right? You think that I comment out of my ignorance. But I have to ask how you know it?
The ample evidence is in your posts, you know all of them which totally lack any evidence for what you assert.

Like for instance, how do you know that it's not your opinion that's ignorant?
Well there are facts, you know the stuff you avoid, but when one's opinion is supported by facts then it it is quite clear that it is the opposing opinion that is ignorant.

There have been prominent cases in the past 2 years where many (not all) pro-lifers were pushing for the corpse to continue supporting a fetus well before the point of viability outside the womb AGAINST the will of the next of kin.

Is that not the ultimate example of a woman as a mode of life support system?

There have been prominent cases in the past 2 years where many (not all) pro-lifers were pushing for the corpse to continue supporting a fetus well before the point of viability outside the womb AGAINST the will of the next of kin.

Is that not the ultimate example of a woman as a mode of life support system?

Yes, and there were several pro-aborts who confirmed they were just broadly pro-death by telling us they support cutting off life-saving treatment for those kids even when their mother chose not to abort them.

I appreciated that because it was the nail in the coffin of the idea of such folks pretending to value "choice."

Back
Top Bottom