• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Portland thread

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
While I will be poking fun at the 'progressive' nature of Portland, I'll also be offering advice and statistics that may be of use to Portland's victims - upstanding, working people that own property and pay their taxes. Local news station KGW is a wealth of information. Let's examine today's installment:

KGW Top Stories: 5 p.m., Thursday, August 18, 2022

For this post, I'll be examining the first story which runs to 3:08. A car full of Black teens (race identifiable at 1:39 and 2:05) was shot at by another car. The bullets struck 2 homes on NE Rock Butte Lane. Houses on that street go for about $750,000 and property taxes are $9,000 a year. The street is a 9 minute drive to the nearest Starbucks. From a Massachusetts point of view, such an event occurring in a neighborhood of that caliber is unthinkable. This expense is a bit high for that level of mayhem, and homeowners should factor in a reduction in home equity into their financial plans.

The New England area is democrat, but we're not that permissive or progressive when it comes to crime. For a 3 way comparison, I'll add in Baltimore so we're dealing with a 'known quantity' - people have a visceral concept of crime in Baltimore.

Portland, OR:
Total population: 650,000
Black population: 38,275
Homicides: 51

Boston, MA:
Total population: 690,000
Black population: 167,000
Homicides: 20

Baltimore, MD:
Total population: 602,000
Black population: 375,000
Homicides: 229

Roughly speaking, if we take Portland as the standard, Boston would be 'allowed' 220 homicides relative to its Black population, a factor of 11x over it's current rate. Likewise, Baltimore would "Portland scale" to 500 homicides, a factor of 2.2x over it's current rate.

I tend to think of Portland as infested with Antifa commies who enjoy burning down courthouses, but hey, that's just me.

While I will be poking fun at the 'progressive' nature of Portland, I'll also be offering advice and statistics that may be of use to Portland's victims - upstanding, working people that own property and pay their taxes. Local news station KGW is a wealth of information. Let's examine today's installment:

KGW Top Stories: 5 p.m., Thursday, August 18, 2022

For this post, I'll be examining the first story which runs to 3:08. A car full of Black teens (race identifiable at 1:39 and 2:05) was shot at by another car. The bullets struck 2 homes on NE Rock Butte Lane. Houses on that street go for about $750,000 and property taxes are $9,000 a year. The street is a 9 minute drive to the nearest Starbucks. From a Massachusetts point of view, such an event occurring in a neighborhood of that caliber is unthinkable. This expense is a bit high for that level of mayhem, and homeowners should factor in a reduction in home equity into their financial plans.

The New England area is democrat, but we're not that permissive or progressive when it comes to crime. For a 3 way comparison, I'll add in Baltimore so we're dealing with a 'known quantity' - people have a visceral concept of crime in Baltimore.

Portland, OR:
Total population: 650,000
Black population: 38,275
Homicides: 51

Boston, MA:
Total population: 690,000
Black population: 167,000
Homicides: 20

Baltimore, MD:
Total population: 602,000
Black population: 375,000
Homicides: 229

Roughly speaking, if we take Portland as the standard, Boston would be 'allowed' 220 homicides relative to its Black population, a factor of 11x over it's current rate. Likewise, Baltimore would "Portland scale" to 500 homicides, a factor of 2.2x over it's current rate.

"Black population."

So Baltimore is unsafe for black people....we know that.

We also know you're white.

And how do you think we figured that out.

I mean the thread doesn't say 'racist bullshit' but it's king of right in your face.

I tend to think of Portland as infested with Antifa commies who enjoy burning down courthouses, but hey, that's just me.

That post is unnecessary...we already knew you think everything is Antifa/communist/leftie

Why is this about black people? Why not just name it, The Black People thread?

Hi, I'm @Rickeroo , and I'll be slamming black people this week, welcome to my thread.

11/16/17-8/19/22 is a lonnnng week.

493e7462-89fa-45fb-bd4e-104b3b72f160_text.gif

That post is unnecessary...we already knew you think everything is Antifa/communist/leftie

Some media sources actually ran coverage of those riots.
Others didn't. They Baghdad Bobbed it.
Hahaha.

Has the hysterical right given up on the "Everything I don't like is Antifa" troll?

They're afraid.

When governments start giving money to very poor people, the insecure right wing gets worried their 'status' in life will go down, or appear to because any time one of "them" could be living next door.

They see people hanging out on the street and think it's a black thing, and imagine this will happen to their neighborhood if they "let" blacks move in; not realizing it's not about race but economics.

America is not a 'free' country. Not everyone gets treated the same. It's so obvious and ugly I'm surprised it's allowed to continue.

Why is this about black people? Why not just name it, The Black People thread?

Hi, I'm @Rickeroo , and I'll be slamming black people this week, welcome to my thread.

Admittedly, I'm rather spoiled being in Massachusetts - it's from this point of view that I cast judgement on Portland. The level of crime in Portland, especially given the expensive neighborhoods it occurs in, is completely unacceptable to someone from New England. It deserves to be insulted and made fun of, hence the mention of the driving time to Starbucks from the shooting location.

The rest of the country may think it's normal to have 38 bullets sprayed in a $750,000 per house, Starbucks-sipping neighborhood with $9k taxes, but I find it quite stunning being from Massachusetts. We drink Dunkin here, and are a bit more down to Earth.

Admittedly, I'm rather spoiled being in Massachusetts - it's from this point of view that I cast judgement on Portland. The level of crime in Portland, especially given the expensive neighborhoods it occurs in, is completely unacceptable to someone from New England. It deserves to be insulted and made fun of, hence the mention of the driving time to Starbucks from the shooting location.

The rest of the country may think it's normal to have 38 bullets sprayed in a $750,000 per house, Starbucks-sipping neighborhood with $9k taxes, but I find it quite stunning being from Massachusetts. We drink Dunkin here, and are a bit more down to Earth.
All I'm thinking reading your post is, how does a conservative like this live in Mass?
Mass is one of the most liberal, blue states in the U.S.

Puzzling, seriously. We should trade places. You belong in AZ, and I belong back in Mass.

It’s never about Portland, Maine, I swear … Always ****ing granola crunch Portland, Oregon.

Some media sources actually ran coverage of those riots.
Others didn't. They Baghdad Bobbed it.
Hahaha.

Please do tell us who specifically did not report on crime committed by criminals who used the protesters as shields from the police, and at which specific dates/times the allegedly unreported stuff was.

I love when one of you is dumb enough to do that because someone (often me) inevitably posts links to several different left-lean media sites reporting on the exact thing the Trumpist denied it had. At that point, the Trumpist will either run away from the thread or switch to complaining that the reporting wasn't done in the exact place on the web page they demand.

But you won't, of course. No adherent to any Little Red book ever explained anything beyond what he was told.

But snobby.

You NEVER have the right to make crime something to be "insulted or made fun of".

From where I sit, it's about time the "expensive neighborhoods" got off their ass and started talking about change...what to do because of the high crime rate, not make ****ing jokes.

High crime rates usually have more to do with what people don't have but need. In the US, crime rates are skyrocket sized compared to countries who control killing machines. Start there.

Then do an inventory of your police....I will bet everything I have that the problem is as much there as anywhere else.

Canada has such neighborhoods too, but we're fighting drug addiction not petty crime

@Rickeroo as he admitted is spoiled because he lives in Kennedy territory and is benefiting from liberal policies.

Speaking of, the new head of police in Boston is amazing. Did you know he's, (whispers) black?

Please do tell us who specifically did not report on crime committed by criminals who used the protesters as shields from the police, and at which specific dates/times the allegedly unreported stuff was.

I love when one of you is dumb enough to do that because someone (often me) inevitably posts links to several different left-lean media sites reporting on the exact thing the Trumpist denied it had. At that point, the Trumpist will either run away from the thread or switch to complaining that the reporting wasn't done in the exact place on the web page they demand.

But you won't, of course. No adherent to any Little Red book ever explained anything beyond what he was told.
"criminals who used the protesters as shields"

Ya, that's Antifa. And they really are commies.

I am 85-years-old.

When I was younger, people all raved about Oregon.

Though it rained a lot, it was an incredibly beautiful and peaceful and happy state.

I think that they used to joke something like: "Welcome, tourists. Have a nice time. But please, don't stay."

In 2020, Portland shocked the nation with the violence committed by terrible individuals.

While the Honorable Donald J. Trump condemned the violence, some politicians (such as the Speaker of the House) kneeled to the protesters.

What has happened to Portland (and to Baltimore, which the OP mentions) is a shame!

But all one can do is to shake one's head and quietly grieve for what has happened to once nice cities!

(Here in Los Angeles, crime is also terrorizing the good citizens. The cops' hands are tied because of the "progressive" authorities that are elected by the changing populace.)

Good post...

I find the American right holds on to social/economic models from the 50's where everything, according to tv and film, was white, clean, no swearing and no nudity. People got shot a lot in TV but few died and it was mostly westerns, Sargent Friday never drew his gun all the years Dragnet ran.

Happy to say I was one of the millions who destroyed that image and got our heads bashed in, the right so steadfastly hung on to the past of Mrs. Cleaver and her doing housework in high heels & a dress.

They forget Vietnam changed all that.

"criminals who used the protesters as shields"

Ya, that's Antifa. And they really are commies.

At least you had the sense to try not to prove that specific outlets did not report on crime committed by criminals using the protesters as shields from police at specific dates/times/places. Shame, though. It'd be great to hear you say "CNN didn't report on the Portland protest on Blah/blahblah/blahblah!" Then someone could throw several articles at you and hilarity would ensue.

Y'know.. riddle me this. If ANTIFA is this vast conspiracy to victimize Trumpists - if it's anywhere near as powerful and ubiquitous as Fox ordered you to claim - why in the screaming **** didn't Trump order the FBI to devote tons of resources to them?

If ANTIFA is anywhere near as powerful and ubiquitous as Fox ordered you to claim, why didn't the GOP congress appropriate a bunch of cash specifically to that when it was able to?

Why don't the people you blame ever seem to get in trouble? Why is it always you guys, even under your preferred president?

Back
Top Bottom