• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Pope Nails It: "Money Sickens the Mind"

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I was raised Catholic, but am a nondenominational protestant now (and sometime Lutheran). Still, Pope Francis has become a moving force in taking back the gospel from the false gospel of materialism and love of money that mars the church.

The implications of his most recent homily are staggering for our country in particular.

EXTRACT OF POPE'S HOMILY
(Source: Vatican Radio)
Money sickens our minds, poisons our thoughts, even poisons our faith, leading us down the path of jealousy, quarrels, suspicion and conflict. It drives to idle words and pointless discussions. It also corrupts the mind of some people that see religion as a source of profit. 'I am Catholic, I go to Mass, everyone thinks well of me... But underneath I have my businesses. I worship money'. And here we have the word we usually find in newspapers: 'Men of corrupted minds'. Money corrupts us! There's no way out.”

“We can never serve God and money at the same time. It is not possible: either one or the other. This is not Communism. It is the true Gospel! They are the Lord's words. While money begins by offering a sense of well being. Then you feel important and vanity comes. We read in the Psalm. This vanity is useless, but still you think you are important. And after vanity comes pride. Those are the three steps: wealth, vanity and pride.”

“But, Father, I read the Ten Commandments and they say nothing about the evils of money. Against which Commandment do you sin when you do something for money? Against the first one! You worship a false idol. And this is the reason: because money becomes an idol and you worship it. And that's why Jesus tells us that you cannot serve money and the living God: either one or the other. The early Fathers of the Church, in the 3rd Century, around the year 200 or 300, put it in a very blunt way, calling money 'the dung of the devil'. An so it is. Because turns us into idolatrous, fills our thoughts with pride and leads us away from our faith.”

Daily Kos: Pope Francis: Money is the root of all evil

I was raised Catholic, but am a nondenominational protestant now (and sometime Lutheran). Still, Pope Francis has become a moving force in taking back the gospel from the false gospel of materialism and love of money that mars the church.

The implications of his most recent homily are staggering for our country in particular.

But the philosophy you espouse is a Materialist's philosophy...

But the philosophy you espouse is a Materialist's philosophy...

Your first impulse: attack.

It's what fundies do.

So you disagree with the Pope, eh I thought so.

I like Pope Francis. Having said that, I find his homily quite hypocritical: As of 2011, the Vatican Bank controls $8 billion. The Vatican assets are secret, but known to be billions and billions of dollars in real estate and priceless works of art. And yet. Catholic schools in our inner-cities close without help from The Vatican's vast treasury.

I would nitpick with the Pope that money isn't what sickens our minds, but as the Bible says the LOVE of money.

Your first impulse: attack.

It's what fundies do.

So you disagree with the Pope, eh I thought so.

Do you ever get anything right?

I wasn't attacking, I was pointing out a contradiction.
Not a fundie by any stretch of the imagination...
Where did I say I agree or disagree? I didn't, but you've assumed so...

I you want to know what God thinks of money, look at some of the people He gave it to.

images

Proof that there are exceptions to the rule.

I would nitpick with the Pope that money isn't what sickens our minds, but as the Bible says the LOVE of money.

No, Paul says that in one place. Jesus says money itself is unrighteous. He also says don't accumulate wealth. James says that the rich are condemned. Period.

The Pope is exploring what the bible actually says more comprehensively than 1 Timothy 6:10

images

Proof that there are exceptions to the rule.

Not according to Jesus and James.

Jesus say don't store treasure on earth. James says the rich are condemned. Gates isn't an overtly bad guy (except for giving us an inferior operating system and violating antitrust laws costing consumers billions in lost productivity). But giving away the crumbs of his empire isn't honored by God, not according to Mark 12:41

Do you ever get anything right?

I wasn't attacking, I was pointing out a contradiction.
Not a fundie by any stretch of the imagination...
Where did I say I agree or disagree? I didn't, but you've assumed so...

No, you immediately made me the topic instead of dealing with what the Pope said. Weird and off topic. Fascinated though I am, let's focus on what the Pope said.

Not according to Jesus and James.

Jesus say don't store treasure on earth. James says the rich are condemned. Gates isn't an overtly bad guy (except for giving us an inferior operating system and violating antitrust laws costing consumers billions in lost productivity). But giving away the crumbs of his empire isn't honored by God, not according to Mark 12:41

Then again, you're a false progressive and by that definition, everything you say is invalid.

No, Paul says that in one place. Jesus says money itself is unrighteous. He also says don't accumulate wealth. James says that the rich are condemned. Period.

The Pope is exploring what the bible actually says more comprehensively than 1 Timothy 6:10

Elsewhere is that reference to camels and needles. The one that fundamentalists want to be allegorical while anything they agree with is literally true.

Lawd.

So Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were all condemned? They were rich. So was King David, and the prophet said his soul would be spared despite his sin over Bathsheba and her husband.

After the camel-through-the-eye-needle thing, Jesus said "what is impossible with man, is possible with God," strongly indicating that it was not impossible for the rich to be saved.

There's also the little problem that rich is relative.... to the average Somali, YOU are rich.... uh oh..... better start giving everything away.... :lamo

Then again, you're a false progressive and by that definition, everything you say is invalid.

Focus, focus. I know the Pope's homily destroys your world view, but you just have to accept that instead of fixating on my superior intellect.

Lawd.

So Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were all condemned? They were rich. So was King David, and the prophet said his soul would be spared despite his sin over Bathsheba and her husband.

After the camel-through-the-eye-needle thing, Jesus said "what is impossible with man, is possible with God," strongly indicating that it was not impossible for the rich to be saved.

There's also the little problem that rich is relative.... to the average Somali, YOU are rich.... uh oh..... better start giving everything away.... :stupid icon use

Dredging up rich people from the Old Testament doesn't make your point and doesn't negate what Jesus actually said.

The "camel through the needle things" (Mat 19) is the least of your problems. This is what you face:

Luke 6:24 - "But woe to you that are rich, for you have received your consolation.

Matthew 6:19 - 21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

James 5:1 - Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you.

As to your attempt to attack me and to cover up your inadequate understanding of the scriptures, not to mention to success that Jesus doesn't makes sense when he says "rich" and "poor", your failure is noted.

Dredging up rich people from the Old Testament doesn't make your point and doesn't negate what Jesus actually said.

The "camel through the needle things" (Mat 19) is the least of your problems. This is what you face:

Luke 6:24 - "But woe to you that are rich, for you have received your consolation.

Matthew 6:19 - 21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

James 5:1 - Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you.

As to your attempt to attack me and to cover up your inadequate understanding of the scriptures, not to mention to success that Jesus doesn't makes sense when he says "rich" and "poor", your failure is noted.

:roll: Bud, you're not scaring me... I'm definitely not among the rich. At least by local standards.

Again, a lot of that (taken in context, that's important) is again talking about the LOVE of money, about making money one's idol and obsession and god.

I notice you didn't even touch the question of whether YOU might be one of those condemned rich people by the standards of the world's poorer half. Running out to sell your car and give the money to the poor yet? :mrgreen:

No? Didn't think so.

There's a certain hypocrisy in ignoring your own relative wealth here.

Maybe they should stop passing around the collection plate and empty the vatican treasury then, lead by example.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." (1 Timothy 6:10)

There is a reason Bergoglio chose "Francis" as his name. ;)

Maybe they should stop passing around the collection plate and empty the vatican treasury then, lead by example.

Hard to do when they've been struggling financially over the past decade.

I notice you didn't even touch the question of whether YOU might be one of those condemned rich people by the standards of the world's poorer half. Running out to sell your car and give the money to the poor yet? :mrgreen:

No? Didn't think so.

There's a certain hypocrisy in ignoring your own relative wealth here.

Chirp...

Chirp...

Chirp...

Got awfully quiet all the sudden. :mrgreen:

Hard to do when they've been struggling financially over the past decade.

Do i need to post pics of all the mansions owned by individual priests? The first popes lived in caverns. "Spreading the good word" doesn't require a palace like the vatican, especially with modern technology.

Less money put in the hands of politicians, less sickness in government.

Back
Top Bottom