• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Politics of Killing

I know what many of you are probably thinking after reading the title of this piece. Your thinking this is just another one of those "anti-war", "anti-military" opinion pieces that's going to preach the evils of war, and pound into your head a 1001 reasons why we need to bring the troops home from Iraq.

For those of you that thought that's where this story was going, I'm very happy to tell you that you couldn't be more wrong.

Before I go any further, I want you all to know I'm a Republican and conservative by nature. I believe that killing is wrong. I'm against abortion unless the life of the mother is endangered, or the pregnancy was the result of rape or incest. I'm against the death penalty. I'm against doctor assisted suicide. I don't like war and I couldn't kill another human being even if it was to save my own life.

I do however, respect the rule of law and the decisions that our society makes. Even though I am against abortion, it is legal and I respect a woman's right to choose what's best for her. I also respect the decisions made by people in states like Texas that voted to impose a death penalty. Though I wouldn't kill another person, I understand that war is sometimes a necessary evil, and have the greatest respect for our soldiers, and support the current war against Islamic terrorism.

I have a set of values I live my life by, just as our society does. Even though they differ in many ways, I have enough respect for our system of government, to go with the flow and not attempt to impose my beliefs on everyone. Live and let live, you know?

With that said, I want you to understand that this op has nothing to do with Iraq, or war in general... It's more about our values as Americans. More specifically, it's about the political ideologies that many of us embrace, and the publics misconception about what those ideologies represent.

For example, if you were to ask the average American, someone with no particular political leanings, which political party or ideology they believed would most likely resort to violence or murder as a solution to a problem, and which most would likely seek peace and a non-violent approach as a solution, how do you think most of them answer? I think it's safe to say, that based on how the media has stereotyped Democrats, Republicans, liberals and conservatives over the last 40 years, most would label Republicans/conservatives as the ones that would resort to violence and killing, and the Democrats/liberals as the ones who would not.

The problem for those that agree with that particular belief is, they are only half right.

This may come as a shock to many, but the fact is, generally speaking of course, both sides of the political landscape in America support the killing and murder of their fellow Americans. You heard me right, both Liberals and Democrats, as well as Republicans and Conservatives, stand for the killing of their fellow man and I'll prove that to you shortly.

Now even though I've stated that the two sides have in common a support for killing, they couldn't be any more opposite. What makes their common belief so different, is based on two things:

1. Who they support murdering.
2. The reasons both stated, and underlying, for why they support that killing.

"WHO"

Republican/Conservatives in general are pro death penalty, pro NRA (the right to bare arms) and pro self defenses (both on a personal, as well as a national level). What that translates into, is a support for the killing of US criminals such as mass murders and home intruders that threaten your safety, and enemies of war such as military, national and terrorist leaders during times of conflict.

On the other side of the coin, Democrats/Liberals are generally pro choice (for legalized abortions) and pro euthanasia. That translates into support for the killing of unborn children, severely injured or handicapped people and doctor assisted suicides.

Now that we've established that both sides of the political spectrum in America, do in fact support the pre meditated murder of other human beings, it's time to take a look at how each side justifies taking such a stand, as well as examine some of the underlying reasons that led them to support such a thing.

"Justification"

Obviously, each side feels that their particular support for murder is justified, other wise they wouldn't support it in the first place. On the Republican side, their stated reasons are pretty cut and dry. For example, the right justifies the execution of serial killers like Ted Bundy based on "Justice". They feel that the people of each state have the right decide how justice should be served, and for the most part, feel that execution is an acceptable punishment for those that have chosen of sound mind, to take lives of innocent Americans. They also don't feel that the state should have to feed and clothe such people for the rest of their lives. They see it as "an eye for an eye".

When it comes to home invaders or people that threaten an innocent persons life, Conservatives believe that every citizen has the right to defend themselves, even if that means that the use of deadly force is necessary. That is why they support the right for law abiding citizens to own a firearm.

When it comes to enemies of war, such as brutal dictators like Saddam Hussein and leaders of terrorist organizations like al qaida, Republicans believe that if those leaders choose not to surrender or comply with the peaceful demands of the United States, then they are left with only one choice... Eliminate them. They justify their actions based on national defense and the safety of the American people.

On the Democratic side, they justify their support for legalized abortion several ways. On a general level, they believe it is every womans right to choose whether they want to bring a child into the world, and that nobody has the right to force any woman into bearing a child that they do not want. They also believe that abortion is justified out of concern for the child itself. This applies in cases of rape, incest, under aged pregnancies and based on the mothers ability both mentally and financially care for a child.

When it comes to euthanasia, the left justifies their support for this based on humanitarian reasons. In the case of Terri Schiavo, they believed that her injuries ruined her quality of life, and killing her was the humanitarian thing to do. They also felt that keeping her alive was hurting her husband both emotionally and financially, so this was the best thing to do for him also. When it comes to chronic pain sufferers and the elderly wanting someone like Jack Kevorkian to help them end their life, the same humanitarian reasons apply.

The "underlying" reality

The bottom line as I see it is this... Republicans support the killing of thugs like Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and serial murders like Ted Bundy as a means of justice or self defense. The choice of whether people like these live or die, is ultimately one that's made by them, not republicans. Society chooses how justice should be served at the ballot box, and when monsters like Ted Bundy decide to murder innocent people for kicks, they know full well what awaits them when they are caught. When it comes to terrorist leaders and dictators like Saddam and Bin Laden, they too were also given a choice between life or death, and as we all know, they chose death rather than a peaceful solution.

Even though there are some exceptions, for the most part those that the left supports killing don't have a choice. The decision whether a person lives or dies is often decided by the left, and the people themselves have absolutely no say so. In the case of Terri Schiavo, she was sentenced to death by those who embrace the Liberal ideology, even though her parents wanted to care for her. They took it upon themselves to kill her needlessly. With the exception of rape, incest and the health of the mother, the same holds true for most abortions. Those children are murdered and have absolutely no say so in the matter.

Now we have all heard the reasons that both sides give to justify their support for killing, but when you break it down, this is what you are left with.

Republicans/conservatives support killing as a means for justice, self defense and self preservations. In nearly all cases, such killings are approved by the American people, either at the ballot box, or by their elected representatives. The people they support killing are the scum of society, that understand before hand the consequences of their actions.

The Democrats/liberals support for the killing of unborn children in the vast majority of cases, is nothing more than a quick fix for irresponsible behavior. Except in cases of rape or incest, the last time I checked, pregnancy was 100% preventable. In the Terri Schiavo case, this was also a murder of convenience. The husband didn't want to live up to his wedding vows and care for his wife. He wanted to wash his hands of her, so he decided that death was the answer. That didn't have to be done. She had family that was willing to care for her, but the left still supported starving the woman to death for the selfish benefit of her husband.

So as you see, one side supports killing only for self defense and justice, while the other side supports killing often out of convenience and so others can avoid taking responsibility for their actions.

Which side you choose to stand behind is a moral choice that only you can make.

Grim17
2/5/2012

* originally written and published 2/9/2008

Back
Top Bottom