• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Political Compass test -a nitpick

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So, I'm taking this thing against out of curiosity. (thepoliticalcompass.org)

And this one hung me up:
Charity is better than social security as a means of helping the genuinely disadvantaged.

How is charity comparable to Social Security? Does Social Security in this sense mean something different than the Social Security that we pay into and receive upon disability or retirement?

I never considered it available to those who are genuinely disadvantaged - I though affirmative action, various organizations and welfare . . . among other things - were there for that purpose.

Some explain, please.

I scale Libertarian - Left, btw . . . barely Libertarian, though.
Political Compass Printable Graph

Far different than I scored last time I took this in which I was Authoritarian left - yep - total communist :lamo

And this one hung me up:

How is charity comparable to Social Security? Does Social Security in this sense mean something different than the Social Security that we pay into and receive upon disability or retirement?

I never considered it available to those who are genuinely disadvantaged - I though affirmative action, various organizations and welfare . . . among other things - were there for that purpose.

Some explain, please.

you're looking at it from a purely American point of view, social security is, in its entirety, any government run or funded program that helps people out.

you're looking at it from a purely American point of view, social security is, in its entirety, any government run or funded program that helps people out.

That makes sense - I didn't realize it had an alternative meaning.
Much appreciated.

I selected "disagree" - charity is great but only goes so far.

My nitpick is that the test asks you questions that require an absolute answer yet gives you a "Agree/Strongly Agree" option.

Edit: Also the use of words like "sometimes"

edit2: Or "always."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So much for loving big government!

Last edited:
Political Compass Printable Graph

I don't think I moved at all over the past four years.

As for your question, probably not. Charity cashflow is unreliable. Not exactly the best form of helping the truly disadvantaged (like those with genetic diseases) when you cannot predict how much cash you'll have to take care of them.

I like the test; it's way better than the regular left-right spectrum, but I think that I was thrown a little to the left by the quiz confusing free market capitalism and corporatism.

Last edited:

And this one hung me up:

Some explain, please.

It may refer to disability benefits received from SS before retirement age is reached. I had a little trouble with that question too.

I like the test; it's way better than the regular left-right spectrum, but I think that I was thrown a little to the left by the quiz confusing free market capitalism and corporatism.

Absolutely. This would be a good measure for everyone to take. Then we'd actually see where people stand.

The stupid right-left spectrum doesn't make sense these days. Especially with big government social conservatives vs. limited government social liberals.

A couple questions need work though.

I like how it contrasts with political figures so you see where you stand - and who you stand with.
I use to be right up there with Stalin. Same distance on the left but *waaay* Authoritarian.

Looks like I have pretty much stayed the same since the last time I looked at this one.

1qYap.png

Last edited:
It seems harder to get a high right/authoritarian score than it is to get a left/libertarian score. Seems like you have to answer the obvious racist/bigot questions like "Yeah my race is totally superior!" with a strongly agree type answer and also answer questions like "I would never question my country!"

Or maybe it's my natural aversion to such thinking.

Economic Left/Right: -7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.18
woohoo

Back
Top Bottom