• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Police Violence Thread

I’m sure mediabiasfactcheck dot com’s methodology is unassailable but honestly, this was going to be your response regardless.

If you don’t want to engage on the subject, I believe you.

I have engaged you with numerous posts, as several others have. It is rather obvious from listening to you that you have been brainwashed by the left and are simply parroting the far left talking points they have been feeding you.

The reason it matters is because the problem has been getting better, not worse and yet the media would have you believe that there is systemic racism getting worse, encouraging protests, rioting, death and violence, the murder of innocent cops, vandalism and looting, and the burning down of cities. Why won't the media report the truth? Why won't the media report that things have actually been getting better and that 97% of blacks being murdered are being murdered by blacks? That stuff doesn't make the news and yet they hype up the George Floyd stuff in order to have 100+ days of rioting. The media have far more blood on their hands than any blacks wrongly getting killed by police.

Well I don’t know if things are getting better or worse. The point I made about iPhones is pertinent I think, the fact that we can now see exactly what happened in these incidents makes them seem more immediate or shocking. Take the George Floyd case for example. In the bad old days, the cops would have just said “this guy resisted arrest and sadly died in the struggle.” Now with video, we can all see that wasn’t the case. That some of these cops are out of control and something should be done about it.

You point about black on black violence isn’t without merit. It’s extremely regrettable that this violence occurs on the streets in these cities. The difference is that violence is between private citizens. The police are public servants, employed by the citizenry. Their job is to protect Americans, not kill them.

A mentally ill person being a danger to themselves and others is the first sign that guns, handcuffs and tazers are the wrong way to go. We’ll just agree to disagree on this one because I don’t have even message board patience for folks that don’t understand mental illness.

Free to the child. Reasonable adults should understand that food insecurity is as disadvantages to those trying to learn with it as lack of text books.

The government needs to provide services where social gaps exist, especially in this context. Services don’t need to be “paid for”, they need to be provided. We are the wealthiest country in the history of the world. If cops can afford special armored unfiforms that make crushing peaceful protests easier, then wwe can afford a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for those in need.

But I actually prefer all kids have access to school lunches to help with any stigmatism.

When is a person mentally ill and when are they just downright criminals? Wouldn't you admit that if you are a criminal then you have some degree of mental problems? Criminals are criminals and should be dealt with as such. What on Earth are you going to do, bring in a psychologist with every incident to determine if the person is just a criminal or has mental issues? You're going to put an innocent professional in harms way to make the call? Fire and EMS do not enter into a volatile area unless it is cleared by the police. Why should a psychologist?

What about the incident in post #8? Why should that citizen have submitted to the police?

We all should cooperate with the police when questioned. If your innocent of any wrongdoing, why not? What you are suggesting is that if any person, guilty or not does not cooperate the police should just say ok and walk away. That does not make any sense!

/shrug...prove it.
I'm confident to say that there's no way that you can. Much of what the cops do isn't reported. Or they falsify reporting. Or they investigate themselves and find themselves without fault.

Prove that it is the other way around, and not with cherry picked sources.

because a LEO commanded him too

obey the officer on the scene

then, once that is over, take it up with his commanding officer, or the courts....when you have a much better chance of not only winning, but walking away unharmed

if his rights were infringed, as per the suggestion, there is "recourse"

It just simply escapes me why thinking that grabbing for an officers gun or taser, giving the officer ****, resisting arrest, or trying to run away is going to end well for you.

Well I don’t know if things are getting better or worse. The point I made about iPhones is pertinent I think, the fact that we can now see exactly what happened in these incidents makes them seem more immediate or shocking. Take the George Floyd case for example. In the bad old days, the cops would have just said “this guy resisted arrest and sadly died in the struggle.” Now with video, we can all see that wasn’t the case. That some of these cops are out of control and something should be done about it.

You point about black on black violence isn’t without merit. It’s extremely regrettable that this violence occurs on the streets in these cities. The difference is that violence is between private citizens. The police are public servants, employed by the citizenry. Their job is to protect Americans, not kill them.

If you are going to be a criminal, grab for an officer's gun or taser, give the officer ****, resist arrest, or try running away, why would you think that that is a good idea? If you don't want to be killed by the police don't give them any **** and, don't be a criminal in the first place. The police don't go around shooting innocent people.

We all should cooperate with the police when questioned. If your innocent of any wrongdoing, why not? What you are suggesting is that if any person, guilty or not does not cooperate the police should just say ok and walk away. That does not make any sense!

That's just the problem These people are guilty and they know they are guilty. That's why they give offers ****, grab for officer's guns and tasers, try resisting arrest, and try running away.

then, once that is over, take it up with his commanding officer, or the courts....when you have a much better chance of not only winning, but walking away unharmed

The police are public employees, they serve the citizenry who pay their salaries. Why do they just get to apprehend anyone for the flimsiest of excuses? In the incident in discussion, a citizen was jogging when stopped by the police. They wanted him to go to the station so the victim of a crime he had nothing to do with could take a look at him. Why should any citizen submit to that kind of thing? What if you’re on your way to work or any other activity in your life and the cops just decide you should get in their car and be detained for as long as they feel like it? It’s crazy imo.

I have engaged you with numerous posts, as several others have. It is rather obvious from listening to you that you have been brainwashed by the left and are simply parroting the far left talking points they have been feeding you.

Is this you saying goodbye, Moderate Right?

The police make very few mistakes, overall, generally speaking. But, that's not even what we are talking about. Pretty much almost every one of these blacks that we are discussing actually were criminals. The left don't even deny that. And, pretty much every single one of them fought with the police or tried resisting arrest. The left don't even deny that either. These are not cases where we don't even know if they were guilty or not. We know they are guilty. And, even if you are innocent, it is a crime to resist arrest.

First, that someone committed a crime sometime in their past, doesn't make them a criminal during the current interaction. It doesn't justify police brutality, shooting an unarmed person in the back, etc...
Second, it isn't a crime to resist kidnapping, however. Like in post 8. Even so, the penalty for "resisting arrest" is not death.

Yes, and while the majority of protesters are "peaceful" they are mirroring the demands of the rioters. And, they provide cover for the rioters to riot.

That's why I say there are no peaceful protesters.

If you are going to be a criminal, grab for an officer's gun or taser, give the officer ****, resist arrest, or try running away, why would you think that that is a good idea? If you don't want to be killed by the police don't give them any **** and, don't be a criminal in the first place. The police don't go around shooting innocent people.

I just can’t understand this attitude that any action other than complete subservience to the police is a death sentence. They are not judge, jury and executioner. Sure their job can be dangerous but lots of jobs are dangerous. Police seem to afforded this unique status that if they feel threatened in any way, they are completely justified in emptying their gun into someone. They do kill innocent people as you well know and they kill others who may have broken a law but which are not capital crimes which justify being executed in the street.

Prove that it is the other way around, and not with cherry picked sources.

I can certainly show you instances where the police failed to report their own misconduct, falsely reported their misconduct or had their misconduct justified by an "internal investigation" and was later ruled as misconduct by the courts.

But, I'm sure you'll call any proof as "cherry-picked"...so I don't really see the point.

Pretty much a one-sided view of the situation isn't it? What precipitated this altercation. What was done to provoke this action? I'm guessing it doesn't fit your narrative so nice try at the blatant manipulation.

You don’t have the answers to your question but you’ve already decided that a) there are sides to take and b) the one you clicked on is wrong.

That's why I say there are no peaceful protesters.

Why would you want all Proud Boys and boog bois shot on sight?

That sounds really dangerous.

Yeah, George Floyd’s funeral was lit.

Why would you want all Proud Boys and boog bois shot on sight?

That sounds really dangerous.

This kind of fabrication illustrates just how weak the Left's arguments are. They absolutely can't challenge a Right wing argument without lying, or insults.

This kind of fabrication illustrates just how weak the Left's arguments are. They absolutely can't challenge a Right wing argument without lying, or insults.

This is your logic. You have decided to define any protesting as non-peaceful, i.e. subject to violent responses from everyone including 17 year olds with AR’s and cops “just doing their job.” Thus, if that is the definition of protesting as you see it, I’m not seeing hte issue.

Unless you’re gonna tell me you think only the ANTIFAS should be shot on sight? Cause that doesn’t sound like a LOR AND ORDER thing so much as a right wing psychopath thing but I wont’ put words in your mouth.

Every day in this country, citizens are under attack from LEO’s across the country. Police have never acted as nor wanted to be seen as guardians of low income/POC neighborhoods.

As we ponder things like defunding the police, thinking about who in our society is best suited to handle issues that do not require a potential for gunplay, or tazers. As you click through some of this (should you choose to see what’s happening in our country to our own citizens), just remember:

Defunding the police does not mean abolishing (God I wish), it simply means we stop making sure a civilian protection agency stops arming itself like citizens are insurgents in an occupied country.

Two links below are both dedicated to acting as almost a storage depot for images and stories of this truth. Nothing is more powerful than simply watching cops be cops without the sheen of an ABC Family show depicting Good Christian People fighting the good fight.

These bystanders recorded police brutality. Here’s what they say about the experience.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1284526898991828992?s=21

PS: Bonus clip: Here are cops pleading with a dangerous mob to please please please move back oh pleeeease.

https://twitter.com/bymikebaker/status/1303111233801916417?s=21

View attachment 67294432

Yeah, "good things" by the police are the expectation... That's what they're supposed to be doing.

If you own a warehouse and you catch someone stealing on camera, do you say, "I wonder how many times the camera didn't catch them NOT stealing" or "I wonder how many times the camera didn't catch them stealing"?

What we do have is that the police target blacks for crimes. Proof? Look at how Stop and Frisk was implemented in New York, for example. Also, why the police do go after personal drug use in the ghettos, but not in the college dorms...

What we do have is that you are over 9 times as likely to be killed by the police than terrorists in this country.

What we do have is that the more interactions you have with police, the more likely you're going to be killed by them.

Therefore, what we do have is a system that is targeting and killing blacks with police action.

The stats are clear. Blacks murder at a mind blowing 5+ times the rate of whites. Yet, they are only killed by cops at around 3 times the rate of whites. It is whites that are being disproportionately killed in higher numbers by cops, compared to the violent risk they pose.

The stats on unarmed killing of blacks shows it’s a pretty small problem, it rarely happens. The few times are just shown over and over to promote a false narrative. Only roughly 20 unarmed blacks were killed last year, most have good evidence that the perp pas attacking the cop. Likely only 3-4 unjustified killings a year of blacks. More unarmed whites are killed, despite being far less likely statistically to act violently. This is a false narrative, period.

Cops might have problems, they have some bullies that need culling, but unions are blocking that, they need better training etc, but the racial component is a false narrative.

Back
Top Bottom