• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Pentagon Will End Its Ban on Transgender Americans

Thanks for the reply. Please give me a few examples of Obama's views and actions that have made our country "less safe, less secure, and just plain weaker." Because offhand, I can't think of any. Seriously. As a retired Navy Commander with an MA in Political Science, I don't think I'm naive, especially with regards to national security. But please, enlighten me. I like to think that I'm open to rational, factual arguments.

Being a retired Navy Commander certainly adds to your credibility, in my opinion. Thank you for your service. I believe the planned politically motived pull out of Iraq allowed ISIS to gain world-wide influence and power. That is one example. Although we've spent decades in western Europe essentially protecting the entire world against communist aggression, I realize we cannot occupy a Muslim nation with the same type of success but the pre-planned, announced, and politically motivated pull-out against the recommendations of the General Officers in charge allowed ISIS to arise. Sure, liberals might blame GW for the war in Iraq, but it's not in good taste for a Commander to blame a previous Commander for his problems - especially when you have had two terms to correct it.

Another big issue with me is the divisive politics that come from the left and from the President himself. You certainly can't claim he has done much to unite the country. And the open-border, racial, and now religious politics have wrecked havoc on our nation's cohesiveness. Other than being a retired Military Officer, I don't know much about your background as an American Citizen. I do understand people have certain backgrounds, such as being an African American, that can influence them to vote democrat but most have misguided reasons in my opinion. I'm pretty open-minded and certainly compassionate, but the crooked politics of the Democrats turned me off long ago. Thanks again for your service. I respect that of you.

Being a retired Navy Commander certainly adds to your credibility, in my opinion. Thank you for your service. I believe the planned politically motived pull out of Iraq allowed ISIS to gain world-wide influence and power. That is one example. Although we've spent decades in western Europe essentially protecting the entire world against communist aggression, I realize we cannot occupy a Muslim nation with the same type of success but the pre-planned, announced, and politically motivated pull-out against the recommendations of the General Officers in charge allowed ISIS to arise. Sure, liberals might blame GW for the war in Iraq, but it's not in good taste for a Commander to blame a previous Commander for his problems - especially when you have had two terms to correct it.

Another big issue with me is the divisive politics that come from the left and from the President himself. You certainly can't claim he has done much to unite the country. And the open-border, racial, and now religious politics have wrecked havoc on our nation's cohesiveness. Other than being a retired Military Officer, I don't know much about your background as an American Citizen. I do understand people have certain backgrounds, such as being an African American, that can influence them to vote democrat but most have misguided reasons in my opinion. I'm pretty open-minded and certainly compassionate, but the crooked politics of the Democrats turned me off long ago. Thanks again for your service. I respect that of you.

It's funny how two people can see the same facts and reach such different conclusions. [By the way, I'm a white straight man who grew up in a conservative agricultural valley in NW Washington]. I think it's odd to blame Obama on the divisions within the nation. As a student of politics, I trace the devolution of standards of decency to Newt Gingrich in the 1990s, when he taught House Republicans that going along wasn't getting them anywhere, and that they'd have to burn down the House in order to win it. And the scorched earth tactics worked as House members learned to "talk like Newt." The GOP demonized Bill Clinton who, they claimed, was a pot-smoking Communist hillbilly who murdered Vincent Foster. Then Obama won, and they did the very same to him, questioning his citizenry, his patriotism, his loyalty to the nation. And they are still at it, with Trump insinuating, repeatedly, that Obama has secret ties to radical Islam.

Extreme partisanship has become the norm in Washington DC, and the blame lies at the feet of the Republicans.
When Democrats and Republicans can't reach consensus on the proper role of government in healthcare, that's partisan polarization. But when Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) says that "Obamacare is going to destroy everything we know as a nation," that's partisan extremism.
Republicans have become a radical insurgency—ideologically extreme, contemptuous of the inherited policy regime, scornful of compromise, unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence, and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of their political opposition. The evidence of this asymmetry is overwhelming.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...servatives-are-driving-partisan-rancor-in-dc/

Last edited:
It's funny how two people can see the same facts and reach such different conclusions. [By the way, I'm a white straight man who grew up in a conservative agricultural valley in NW Washington]. I think it's odd to blame Obama on the divisions within the nation. As a student of politics, I trace the devolution of standards of decency to Newt Gingrich in the 1990s, when he taught House Republicans that going along wasn't getting them anywhere, and that they'd have to burn down the House in order to win it. And the scorched earth tactics worked as House members learned to "talk like Newt." The GOP demonized Bill Clinton who, they claimed, was a pot-smoking Communist hillbilly who murdered Vincent Foster. Then Obama won, and they did the very same to him, questioning his citizenry, his patriotism, his loyalty to the nation. And they are still at it, with Trump insinuating, repeatedly, that Obama has secret ties to radical Islam.

Extreme partisanship has become the norm in Washington DC, and the blame lies at the feet of the Republicans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...servatives-are-driving-partisan-rancor-in-dc/

Thanks for sharing a little about your background because I often wonder what it is in a person's life experience that might influence their political leanings. You know, there are probably a few issues that I am slightly left of center on, and I am open-minded enough to be willing to listen and change my attitude towards many things. I learn and grow as I get older, and I cannot say that about everyone. So in that regard, I am not some "right winger" as liberals love to call people that don't agree with them. Personally, I am of Christian faith and I'm sure that influences my attitude. I am also probably one of the most compassionate people you would ever meet. By the way, I am a retired U.S. Military Veteran also - we at least have that in common. The Libs hated GW Bush to no end, so the Reps don't have a monopoly on disliking politicians from the other party. Speaking of GW, I felt he was an honorable man, who I believe is very compassionate and a good leader whom I respected.. It's hard to even say that anonymously because the liberals have bashed him so badly. In my opinion, he had twice the character and honor of either one of the Clintons.

As for Obama, if you think things have been better under his leftist administration, I'm not sure we'll ever agree. I see the craziness from "inside" the Government and it ain't pretty.

Thanks for sharing a little about your background because I often wonder what it is in a person's life experience that might influence their political leanings. You know, there are probably a few issues that I am slightly left of center on, and I am open-minded enough to be willing to listen and change my attitude towards many things. I learn and grow as I get older, and I cannot say that about everyone. So in that regard, I am not some "right winger" as liberals love to call people that don't agree with them. Personally, I am of Christian faith and I'm sure that influences my attitude. I am also probably one of the most compassionate people you would ever meet. By the way, I am a retired U.S. Military Veteran also - we at least have that in common. The Libs hated GW Bush to no end, so the Reps don't have a monopoly on disliking politicians from the other party. Speaking of GW, I felt he was an honorable man, who I believe is very compassionate and a good leader whom I respected.. It's hard to even say that anonymously because the liberals have bashed him so badly. In my opinion, he had twice the character and honor of either one of the Clintons.
As for Obama, if you think things have been better under his leftist administration, I'm not sure we'll ever agree. I see the craziness from "inside" the Government and it ain't pretty.

The Democrats were willing to work cooperatively with Bush where there was room for reasonable compromise...such as with the No Child Left Behind Act. But I agree, liberals really starting bashing him. I think it was after he lied us into an idiotic war and then bungled the occupation while exploding the deficit through slashing taxes for him and his rich friends. Great "Christian" work, there. I guess you're a "Christian" if you start unnecessary wars and comfort the already comfortable? Is that what Jesus taught?

See, I actually read the New Testament part where Jesus speaks for himself--the Gospels. Those four books are the best and most immediate word of Jesus. Right? And I was pretty shocked what I found there. After listening to "Christians" like George W Bush all my life, I was pretty sure Jesus was a guy who had no time whatsoever for the poor, who spent all his time ridiculing them and calling them lazy and welfare queens and all the rest. From listening to Republicans, I figured Jesus spent the rest of his time ranting about abortion and gays. And palling around with the rich. Because I watched how all these modern, so-called "Christians" behaved. And what their legislative priorities were.

Funny thing. Turns out that Jesus had no time at all for the rich. As a matter of fact, one of his most repeated warnings was against wealth. He returned to that teaching again and again: wealth was a barrier to "the kingdom of the father." See, you'd never know that listening to and, more importantly, watching what these right-wing "Christians" are all about. Why is one of Jesus's most emphasized teachings treated as TOP SECRET in modern America? Seriously. Ted Cruz is supposed to be super-Christian. So did he use his national stage to teach was Jesus taught? Or did he obsess about gays and abortion and slashing taxes on the rich instead?

Jesus kept talking about compassion and not judging and taking care of your neighbor. Taking care of people who need care is what Liberals do. Obama and the Democrats brought life-saving health care to 20 million Americans. What did the Republicans do? Obstruct the whole way. Did they offer a comprehensive working alternative? Hell no. But they have oodles of plans for slashing taxes on the already rich. And then they have the gall to run around shoving the Bible in our faces.

Oh yeah, that was the other thing that really pissed Jesus off. Hypocrites.

Last edited:
The Democrats were willing to work cooperatively with Bush where there was room for reasonable compromise...such as with the No Child Left Behind Act. But I agree, liberals really starting bashing him. I think it was after he lied us into an idiotic war and then bungled the occupation while exploding the deficit through slashing taxes for him and his rich friends. Great "Christian" work, there. I guess you're a "Christian" if you start unnecessary wars and comfort the already comfortable? Is that what Jesus taught?

See, I actually read the New Testament part where Jesus speaks for himself--the Gospels. Those four books are the best and most immediate word of Jesus. Right? And I was pretty shocked what I found there. After listening to "Christians" like George W Bush all my life, I was pretty sure Jesus was a guy who had no time whatsoever for the poor, who spent all his time ridiculing them and calling them lazy and welfare queens and all the rest. From listening to Republicans, I figured Jesus spent the rest of his time ranting about abortion and gays. And palling around with the rich. Because I watched how all these modern, so-called "Christians" behaved. And what their legislative priorities were.

Funny thing. Turns out that Jesus had no time at all for the rich. As a matter of fact, one of his most repeated warnings was against wealth. He returned to that teaching again and again: wealth was a barrier to "the kingdom of the father." See, you'd never know that listening to and, more importantly, watching what these right-wing "Christians" are all about. Why is one of Jesus's most emphasized teachings treated as TOP SECRET in modern America? Seriously. Ted Cruz is supposed to be super-Christian. So did he use his national stage to teach was Jesus taught? Or did he obsess about gays and abortion and slashing taxes on the rich instead?

Jesus kept talking about compassion and not judging and taking care of your neighbor. Taking care of people who need care is what Liberals do. Obama and the Democrats brought life-saving health care to 20 million Americans. What did the Republicans do? Obstruct the whole way. Did they offer a comprehensive working alternative? Hell no. But they have oodles of plans for slashing taxes on the already rich. And then they have the gall to run around shoving the Bible in our faces.

Oh yeah, that was the other thing that really pissed Jesus off. Hypocrites.

Humans - all of us have faults. I still believe that GW was a "nicer" person than what you give him credit for. I understand he was generous as well. I believe that he believed that war in Iraq was necessary and ultimately would save lives -like what happened to end WWII. Hillary voted for the war based on the same intelligence information. In terms of my faith, I really don't talk much about it, it's more of a private, internal thing for me. I think some liberals are well meaning - but definitely not all. I even know a few that mean well - I certainly put my late Mother in that category. Hillary definitely not. She is self-serving in my opinion. I would hate to have to work for her and feel for the Generals that may have to answer to her BS. The funny thing is that we just perceive people and leaders differently. You're obviously a smart guy and I don't mind listening to people who at least make since.

Humans - all of us have faults. I still believe that GW was a "nicer" person than what you give him credit for. I understand he was generous as well. I believe that he believed that war in Iraq was necessary and ultimately would save lives -like what happened to end WWII. Hillary voted for the war based on the same intelligence information. In terms of my faith, I really don't talk much about it, it's more of a private, internal thing for me. I think some liberals are well meaning - but definitely not all. I even know a few that mean well - I certainly put my late Mother in that category. Hillary definitely not. She is self-serving in my opinion. I would hate to have to work for her and feel for the Generals that may have to answer to her BS. The funny thing is that we just perceive people and leaders differently. You're obviously a smart guy and I don't mind listening to people who at least make since.

You are more of a gentleman than me. Let's agree to disagree. Peace.

You didn't learn much in sitting in up in the wardroom did you? The democrats had the republicans going along, just to get along for decades. When alternate sources of media, opposing voices, and news became more available to the citizenry, there was a increase in opposing views, and that was something the democrats couldn't handle very well. Why is it the democrats keep visiting the Radio fairness BS? What are they afraid...........opposing views? Freedom of speech? Newt effing nailed with you guys.

Back
Top Bottom