• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The past few weeks have shown some people's 'true colors'

"develop AI to the point that it surpasses human intelligence." Once the machines have the ability to improve themselves, envision and create more advanced machines, why would they need or want unpredictable humans around any more?
Why would they not? The vastness of the Universe...there is room enough for an infinite number of species.
What threat would we be if we were dependent on AI?

I think we'd be more of a threat to AI than the other way around. Well, I suppose that depends on who makes the AI. If its someone good then why could AI not represent the best of humanity? Assuming it will reflect the worst is just fear-mongering IMO..

Why would they not? The vastness of the Universe...there is room enough for an infinite number of species.
What threat would we be if we were dependent on AI?

I think we'd be more of a threat to AI than the other way around. Well, I suppose that depends on who makes the AI. If its someone good then why could AI not represent the best of humanity? Assuming it will reflect the worst is just fear-mongering IMO..
Assuming the programming of all AI units is done by altruistic humans with nothing but good intentions may be unrealistic.

Assuming the programming of all AI units is done by altruistic humans with nothing but good intentions may be unrealistic.
Skynet?

Rainbows and pixie dust will help with your efforts as well…..

Your commentary is absurd. What's your deal? Trolling and/or conservative warmonger and/or career military and/or curmudgeon and/or shallow and/or what?

Your commentary is absurd. What's your deal? Trolling and/or conservative warmonger and/or career military and/or curmudgeon and/or shallow and/or what?
You stated that you would “force nations to give up their nukes.” I asked you what you would use for leverage. “Peace, love and understanding” was your reply. It’s been downhill from there……

You stated that you would “force nations to give up their nukes.” I asked you what you would use for leverage. “Peace, love and understanding” was your reply. It’s been downhill from there……

The first thing to do would be for the US and Russia to sit down at some fancy tables and discuss again how we're going to take nuclear weapons 'off the table.' Do you have a problem with that, too? Because I'd say that falls into the horribly offensive to you 'peace love and understanding' category. Should we just show Putin who's boss and get this human :poop:show on Earth over with? Do you think I want to sing the Barney song with Biden and Putin?

I suspect you were alive during the hippie era, are slightly older than your average hippie was, you were in the military for a conflict and/or more than one term, and you mostly hold onto a 'boomer' or earlier generation worldview.

Now you are weaseling. @Antiwar

What does the topic have to do with me?

You were bitching about posts not being “well thought out,” right?

Most people's commentary is either not serious, or poorly thought out/through. I won't say why I say that's true, now. I ask you: Is your commentary ever serious? Is your commentary (especially about Ukraine) well thought out/through?
^ A perfect example of your typical hubris, and why you often find yourself being laughed at, mocked, or ignored.

The Internet exacerbates knee jerks (not referring to you or your comment).

It's probably impossible to think anything all the way through. My position is based in (on?) anti-war progressive principles.
I am not a hawk but there are times when military actions are necessary. Unfortunately that's the only thing some will listen to.

Russia however is a complex issue because they are not just a nuclear power but they also have so many that it regulates the threat they pose to a level all it's own.

I'm not convinced that economic sanctions get the desired result or won't have unintended consequences that are even a bigger problem for us.

Now you are weaseling. @Antiwar

What does the topic have to do with me?

You were bitching about posts not being “well thought out,” right?

What do you think I'm 'weaseling' about?

The topic only has something to do with you because you commented in the thread.

No, it's not about posts being well thought out, it's about geopolitics being well thought out, especially when there's a war going on that might soon be between the two (still huge) nuclear arsenals.

I am not a hawk but there are times when military actions are necessary. Unfortunately that's the only thing some will listen to.

Thank you for having boatloads more nuance than 89% of the people here. I'll just leave it at that, for now.

Russia however is a complex issue because they are not just a nuclear power but they also have so many that it regulates the threat they pose to a level all it's own.

Yeah. It's not so easy for the USG to get its way, slaughter people and destroy things when the other guy's an equivalent threat.

I'm not convinced that economic sanctions get the desired result or won't have unintended consequences that are even a bigger problem for us.

That's the usual story with all of this domination :poop:. How about we see what the unintended consequences are when the USG is, dare I say, NICE? Put energy, money and time into cooperation, good international law, things that will help people and the environment, and such.

^ A perfect example of your typical hubris, and why you often find yourself being laughed at, mocked, or ignored.

Step up and make a significant comment on the Ukraine issue and what the USG should do. I'll discuss/debate the issue with you. Let's see what you have besides your assessment and your notion of popularity.

Step up and make a significant comment on the Ukraine issue and what the USG should do. I'll discuss/debate the issue with you. Let's see what you have besides your assessment and your notion of popularity.
You’re not an honest debater. A fact that is well known among DP forum members that have engaged with you.

The only reason I responded to your opening obnoxious, know-it-all post was to highlight your comically pathetic self unawareness.

Anyways, carry on. 👍

You’re not an honest debater. A fact that is well known among DP forum members that have engaged with you.

The only reason I responded to your opening obnoxious, know-it-all post was to highlight your comically pathetic self unawareness.

Anyways, carry on. 👍

Can you or the others your refer to offer evidence of that 'fact'?

If that were true, you could post a significant comment on the Ukraine issue in this thread, then show how I'm supposedly a dishonest debater. That way no one would have to search for anything. And nobody would have to take your word for your claim. That seems like at least a double-win opportunity for you.

What do you think I'm 'weaseling' about?

The topic only has something to do with you because you commented in the thread.

No, it's not about posts being well thought out, it's about geopolitics being well thought out, especially when there's a war going on that might soon be between the two (still huge) nuclear arsenals.
How do you propose to “force” nations to give up their nukes? Weasel some more…….

your quote: “Most people's commentary is either not serious, or poorly thought out/through. I won't say why I say that's true, now. I ask you: Is your commentary ever serious? Is your commentary (especially about Ukraine) well thought out/through?”

also your quote:
I suspect you were alive during the hippie era, are slightly older than your average hippie was, you were in the military for a conflict and/or more than one term, and you mostly hold onto a 'boomer' or earlier generation worldview.”

Wanna guess my weight next?

How do you propose to “force” nations to give up their nukes? Weasel some more…….

Didn't I already give an answer to that question in this thread in reply to and quoting you?

Thank you for having boatloads more nuance than 89% of the people here. I'll just leave it at that, for now.

Yeah. It's not so easy for the USG to get its way, slaughter people and destroy things when the other guy's an equivalent threat.

That's the usual story with all of this domination :poop:. How about we see what the unintended consequences are when the USG is, dare I say, NICE? Put energy, money and time into cooperation, good international law, things that will help people and the environment, and such.
I'm ok with being nice. I'm not ok with being the world's doormat. Unfortunately it seems our kindness is often mistaken as the latter.

In the case of Russia I think we need to really think long and hard about what we want to do. Arming the Ukrainians and putting draconian sanctions on them are acts of war. If we are going to have a war we should not have one foot in and one foot out. That's how wars are lost.

If we don't want to be involved in a war we should keep our nose out of their affairs. That means we don't help the Ukrainian people.

I'm ok with being nice. I'm not ok with being the world's doormat. Unfortunately it seems our kindness is often mistaken as the latter.

In the case of Russia I think we need to really think long and hard about what we want to do. Arming the Ukrainians and putting draconian sanctions on them are acts of war. If we are going to have a war we should not have one foot in and one foot out. That's how wars are lost.

If we don't want to be involved in a war we should keep our nose out of their affairs. That means we don't help the Ukrainian people.

Being nice doesn't mean being a doormat. And I wouldn't refer to much of USG foreign policy as kindness.

Humans need other ways to solve wars. More so, humans need ways to prevent wars. And we don't need one nor five nor 18 countries (nor the Global North) dominating international law and enforcement.

Nuclear disarmament has always been through talks and treaties. Humanity could add a strong enforcement mechanism, too. As in: We could force nuclear weapons to be abolished.

How exactly? How would “humanity” force an authoritarian state that doesn’t want to give up nukes to give up nukes?

Being nice doesn't mean being a doormat. And I wouldn't refer to much of USG foreign policy as kindness.

Humans need other ways to solve wars. More so, humans need ways to prevent wars. And we don't need one nor five nor 18 countries (nor the Global North) dominating international law and enforcement.
I don't disagree with you in principle. However in practical terms what do you do when a nuclear power begins invading other nations and expanding their empire?

How exactly? How would “humanity” force an authoritarian state that doesn’t want to give up nukes to give up nukes?

10 million people in the US could surround the White House and the Pentagon and demand that the USG goes to Europe to meet with Russia and brings a treaty that says neither government will use nuclear weapons in the ongoing war that's been getting so much attention lately, for a good start.

10 million people in the US could surround the White House and the Pentagon and demand that the USG goes to Europe to meet with Russia and brings a treaty that says neither government will use nuclear weapons in the ongoing war that's been getting so much attention lately, for a good start.

And monkeys could fly out of your butt.

I don't disagree with you in principle. However in practical terms what do you do when a nuclear power begins invading other nations and expanding their empire?

Since you added on that last phrase, I need to say that Russia isn't the only nuclear power to have invaded other nations.

If the USG really wants to be able to police the world, then the USG should work much harder to abolish all nuclear weapons. Because Russia and the USG having huge nuclear arsenals is preventing the USG from getting involved directly militarily. Note that I don't want the USG to be the world police nor get involved militarily (anywhere, for at least the next 50 years). If there were an effective international justice system, then it would work on preventing the conditions that lead to wars, and try to stop wars with the least amount of damage as possible. That would mean that the goal would be to arrest leaders that are committing human rights abuses and warring.

That might be an answer to *a question* that someone somewhere might have asked. It has nothing to do with the question I actually asked.

That might be an answer to *a question* that someone somewhere might have asked. It has nothing to do with the question I actually asked.

My answer has a lot to do with the question you asked.

I've got a question for you. How exactly should the Russian attack on Ukraine be stopped?

Back
Top Bottom