• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"The Opposition"

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I know there are some intelligent, thinking people in this forum. Quite a few in fact. Sadly, I keep running into the ones whose motto appears to be "Ostriches r'Us". They don't want to do anything but take shots and make jokes.

Kindly name whoever you've debated with that handled themselves well without resorting to reactionary hyperbole. Or even if they share your values.

My first person who I have enjoyed reading and I believe comports himself well is Groucho. I love joking with LiberalAvenger.

Any recommendations?

Debated implies disagreement, so it would mostly be conservatives for me. Number 1, top of the list is Zyphlin. We don't agree on basically anything(we even both fans of the same thing, but still can argue about it). He may be wrong, but he at least puts thought into his opinions and can support them logically.

Hairy Guerrilla(did I spell that right?) is a nutty libertarian, but a great guy.

There are a number of posters here that I can get into really nasty, scorched earth debates, but who I think are awesome people(MrV, Jallman spring to mind).

I'm a bit spoiled on that front. My favorite nephew co-captained his high school debate team with his now wife of ten years. After they graduated, they went on to coach that same school's debate team. So I know how intelligent discourse goes, and it's a bit frustrating that some people do the equivalent here of plugging their ears and going "LALALALALALALAAAAAA" as a rebuttal.

Debated implies disagreement, so it would mostly be conservatives for me. Number 1, top of the list is Zyphlin. We don't agree on basically anything(we even both fans of the same thing, but still can argue about it). He may be wrong, but he at least puts thought into his opinions and can support them logically.

Hairy Guerrilla(did I spell that right?) is a nutty libertarian, but a great guy.

There are a number of posters here that I can get into really nasty, scorched earth debates, but who I think are awesome people(MrV, Jallman spring to mind).

I find there aren’t a lot of people who think for themselves here. They toe party lines or whatever they subscribe to as absolute truth without trying to balance matters on their own. A general lack of critical thinking I find.

I dislike intensely debating with brow beaters that never give an inch as though they got it all figured out and endlessly repeat the same crap without proving anything rationally or take some things out of context and create retarded arguments out of it. I am no mastermind and would never pretend to be but I can stand my own pretty good on most things I argue about. I can admit when I am mistaken though which is more difficult then one would think.

I don’t know people well enough here yet to say one way or the other. So far my political gauge shows an unusual hard right wing bias on this forum. This could be a result of societal norms or culture shock. I don’t know well enough to say one way or another about a lot of people yet. There are some good debaters here though granted.

Exactly. And the tendency to react as opposed to think (and critically at that) *by the way? critical thinking doesn't mean you think you are critical of the opposition, regardless of how little you know about them* can be very difficult to bother with.

A lot of what is known as "right fighters". They don't care what they say or who they hurt or how stupid they seem as long as they get to a) be "right" and b) have the last word.

I find there aren't a lot of people who think for themselves here. They toe party lines or whatever they subscribe to as absolute truth without trying to balance matters on their own. A general lack of critical thinking I find.

Exactly. And the tendency to react as opposed to think (and critically at that) *by the way? critical thinking doesn't mean you think you are critical of the opposition, regardless of how little you know about them* can be very difficult to bother with.

A lot of what is known as "right fighters". They don't care what they say or who they hurt or how stupid they seem as long as they get to a) be "right" and b) have the last word.

Agreed. :)

EDIT:Critical thinking involves critiquing your own position or bias.

Last edited:
Most of the short, quick jab, sarcastic arguments are the fruit of laziness, not stupidity.

A sort of logical inventory, "Own your own". Check yourself, see if your mind is actively engaged or in reactive mode.

Agreed. :)

EDIT:Critical thinking involves critiquing your own position or bias.

I hadn't thought of that, but it does make sense.

Most of the short, quick jab, sarcastic arguments are the fruit of laziness, not stupidity.

Nah. Some are, sure, some are just seeing the humor in something. We can't be all serious all the time.

But again, that goes to general comportment. If somebody usually hits the well thought-out, insightful button, then I will understand if they feel the need to joke. Heck, I do it often enough myself.

But if it's nothing but using humor to deflect? That gets old.

I'm ALWAYS a bridesmaid and NEVER a bride.

Wahhhhhh..... :(

Back
Top Bottom