• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Oil Industry’s Covert Campaign to Rewrite American Car Emissions Rules

MTAtech

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Source: NYT:
[h=1]The Oil Industry’s Covert Campaign to Rewrite American Car Emissions Rules [/h]
When the Trump administration laid out a plan this year that would eventually allow cars to emit more pollution, automakers, the obvious winners from the proposal, balked. The changes, they said, went too far even for them.
But it turns out that there was a hidden beneficiary of the plan that was pushing for the changes all along: the nation’s oil industry.

In Congress, on Facebook and in statehouses nationwide, Marathon Petroleum, the country’s largest refiner, worked with powerful oil-industry groups and a conservative policy network financed by the billionaire industrialist Charles G. Koch to run a stealth campaign to roll back car emissions standards,a New York Times investigation has found.
The swamp is alive and well!

Can't believe there were no replies.

Can't believe there were no replies.

This administration has everyone in horror and outrage fatigue. They are dismantling every protection of public health and safety. They are working to make the U.S. a leader in 18th century industry while China trains the developers of the next generation of artificial intelligence. The resistance is getting overwhelmed and like the republiCON senator said about #45 breaking the law: "I don't care"

This administration has everyone in horror and outrage fatigue. They are dismantling every protection of public health and safety. They are working to make the U.S. a leader in 18th century industry while China trains the developers of the next generation of artificial intelligence. The resistance is getting overwhelmed and like the republiCON senator said about #45 breaking the law: "I don't care"
Ah, so MAGA isn't all it's cracked up to be?

We have daily scandals that would have been more than enough for congress to remove any previous president.

No, rolling back the regulatory state is exactly what will MAGA. That you dont understand this is hardly a surprise.

No, rolling back the regulatory state is exactly what will MAGA. That you dont understand this is hardly a surprise.
Dirtier air and burning more gas makes America great? Who knew?

Connected corporations who lobby to pass self serving policies is exactly the swamp that was supposed to be drained.

Ah yes, back to the nostalgic glory days of the 1970s, prior to the horrible environmental regulations that we now suffer under. FD15CD45-13EF-4E64-84A7-AEABD9CC4444.jpg921EECE3-B264-4DA3-B6D0-61A09D41B7FF.jpg5037879B-06EC-479F-AB7B-0685DC93A53F.jpg I really long for the days when the Chicago River smelled like rotten corpses and bubbled chemicals that were lime green and Corporations were allowed to dump whatever they wanted into the river. it was awesome.

Wealthy donors in the coal industry have also had a huge influence over the Trump administration.

"The memo was written by Robert E. Murray, a longtime Trump supporter who donated $300,000 to the president’s inauguration. In it, Mr. Murray, the head of Murray Energy, presented Mr. Trump with a wish list of environmental rollbacks just weeks after the inauguration.

Nearly a year later, the White House and federal agencies have completed or are on track to fulfill most of the 16 detailed requests, even with Monday’s decision by federal regulators to reject a proposal by Energy Secretary Rick Perry to subsidize struggling coal and nuclear plants.

The March 1 memo, which was obtained by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island and shared with The New York Times, is addressed to Vice President Mike Pence. The sweeping wish list of regulatory overhauls includes ending regulations on greenhouse gas emissions and ozone and mine safety, as well as cutting the staff of the Environmental Protection Agency “at least in half” and overhauling the Labor Department’s office of mine safety."

Trump also still wants to spend billions of dollars on propping up coal plants.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...save-americas-failing-coal-fired-power-plants

While he also plan to nominate a former coal lobbyist as administrator of EPA:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...ing-epa-chief-wheeler-for-senate-confirmation

That at the same two thirds of Americans give priority to developing renewables over fossil fuel. It was also two thirds of Americans that wanted US to stay in the Paris accord.

Most in US say alternative energy takes priority over fossil fuels

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...upport-staying-in-the-paris-agreement/528663/

Name for me one single regulation that this idiot has rolled back that has created a single job.

Name for me one single regulation that this idiot has rolled back that has directly benefitted you.

Name for me one single regulation that this idiot has rolled back that will result in benefit to the normal man, and not the corporate elitists, like the Cuck Brothers.

Dirtier air and burning more gas makes America great? Who knew?

Connected corporations who lobby to pass self serving policies is exactly the swamp that was supposed to be drained.

It surprises me that folks don't remember the consequences of allowing corporations to have free reign influencing policy. They are interested only in their business and profit margins, so the impact that has on the people and the environment aren't factored in. I get it from the corporate aspect, but that citizens would cheer this on puzzles me a bit. Do they want dirty water and air, or poor work environments etc.? I am not anti corporate at all, but there needs to be checks and balances between corporate interests and public interests; if we allow corporations to influence public policy then our representation doesn't mean much at all.

Even federal reports published during Trump’s presidency warns about climate changes from fossil fuels and its devastating effects.

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

While oil consumption also have a lot other destructive effects like toxic pollution and also costly wars and dependency on brutal dictatorships in the Middle East.

Back
Top Bottom