• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Obama's are reported to have a net worth of $40,000,000

"Dreams of my Father" and "Audacity of Hope" revenued $7.5 million, combined. You're $12.5 million short.

You need to take a different look at that. Forbes disagrees with you.

First, the Emoluments Clause is only dealing with foreign emoluments, which is what that post referenced, which is why I added Article Two, Section One, Clause 7 (sometimes referred to as the Domestic Emoluments Clause), and 5 CFR 2635.702 - Use of public office for private gain, to the thread in the post you quoted to add to the discussion.

I do have a major problem with it. I even have a major problem with "blind trusts" because unless they are divested while seen and re-invested elsewhere while blind, they change nothing and the government official can still effect their own investments positively for enrichment. Giving a post a "like" by me doesn't always mean that I agree with the post's intended thought or position, but rather it could be for the unintended and in this case ironic tactic being used that should embarrass the poster if they understood what they actually wrote, and how it affects their own side and their own position. Sometimes a "like" by me is similar to the Southern phrase, Bless Your Heart. It also could be because although I disagree with your point, I think you made a great post - you get some of those "likes" from me from time to time. I can't either. Well, maybe Carter? Didn't he divest his holdings completely and put his retained earnings into a real and actual blind trust while in office?

The difference between acceptable and unacceptable for me relates to enrichment in office or out of office.

Then I'm silly. I have no problem with truly blind trusts, but complete divestment should occur prior.

Ugh @ hacking up a post piecemeal.

Ok, so you may "like" posts for diverse reasons, including obscure ones like the possibility that you hope the poster realizes or fails to realize it's an "ironic" like (the grey). I'd have thought that at least one requirement would be agreeing with what was said, but whatever.

The subject...

His post singled out the Clintons and Obama. Ok, so you didn't like it for the actual declaration asserted, or maybe you did and I don't know because you won't really say. Fine. But at the very least, between that, your reply to Cardinal, and your reply to me, you seem to think that Clinton and Obama unlawfully profited outside of their salary.

I don't know why we ended up on complete divestment PLUS blind reinvestment since the subject of the thread started with stupidity...

The Obama's are reported to have a net worth of $40,000,000!!! Isnt it about time they stare redistributing it?? Since thats what the commie told us, time for him to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and then added on hackery...

Talk about EMOLUMENTS CLAUSE.....no one enriched themselves DIRECTLY OFF OF THE PRESIDENCY like the Obamas and Clintons have...

...and we only seem to have expanded to "Illegitimate" income with a more specific reference to the emoulment's clause in your response to Cardinal. Then in responding to me, you drill down to divestment and blind reinvestment.

Are there some still controlling federal decisions ruling that various things Clinton or Obama (or, since you may or may not think it applies to all, all the other presidents or any of them) did that violates the emoulment's clause? An instructive but not controlling state court decision about a state official violating a state constitution? Or is this one of those things where a poster is reallysaying something along the lines of [regardless of what the law actually is now, I personally think the law should be X,Y,Z based on what I think when I read the constitution, and under that view, persons A,B, and C, are all violating the constitution]? That latter thing is what it sounds like.

If something Clinton did really was an emoulments violation, you can bet your arse the GOP would've been all over it under junior Bush, especially after 9/11 sent his popularity and support sky-high. Ditto Trump vs. Obama. Of course....I have to say I'm hard pressed to think of any majority opinion or perhaps any opinion come to think of it from the founders on the subject of whether doing something resembling selling a book or getting paid to give speeches after being president should not happen. It's more about investing in a shipping company, then changing the law to be more favorable to shipping companies in some way. (Or boat owners individually. Insurance was just getting started then, right?)

Ok, I'll chop once.

I presume I will have to live with being silly in your eyes. Which is okay with me.

When you hide the ball where it can't be found and complain that someone else didn't see it, you do look silly. Snappily or not, you can't very well complain that I've somehow gotten you terribly wrong when I only have the difference between what you do say and do not say to go on.....

Last edited:
The Obama's are reported to have a net worth of $40,000,000!!! Isnt it about time they stare redistributing it?? Since thats what the commie told us, time for him to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And growing. Apparently "at some point you've made enough money" doesn't apply to them.

I don't why some conservative wannebes are getting jealous of rich people now. Obama made a lot of money. Good for him.

I don't why some conservative wannebes are getting jealous of rich people now. Obama made a lot of money. Good for him.

But when is he going to redistribute it? That is what he was all about.

Obama seems to be a typical democrat. He want to redistribute OTHER peoples money not his.

there are few jobs I would want less than being President of the United States. But being an ex-president? I could get used to that.

I'd rather just win a big lottery prize, pay the loads of taxes on it and live happily ever after.

Missing the point. HE was the one mocking others for getting rich, now he's all for it. As far as I'm concerned he can make as much as idiots want to pay him.

Missing the point. HE was the one mocking others for getting rich, now he's all for it. As far as I'm concerned he can make as much as idiots want to pay him.

You think Obama was "mocking others for getting rich?"

Goddamn you people really eat up all that Fox News propaganda don't you?

You think Obama was "mocking others for getting rich?"
He sure wasn't praising them.
Deuce said:
Goddamn you people really eat up all that Fox News propaganda don't you?
You people just throw out any bull**** you can think of to defend your Dear Leader, don't you?

He sure wasn't praising them.

You people just throw out any bull**** you can think of to defend your Dear Leader, don't you?

Your propaganda masters convinced you he's a communist, so I wouldn't talk about "bull****," my friend ;)

Harry Truman once said ------------ anyone that gets rich in Politics is a crook. IMO old Harry was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be that as it may, Obama acquired the overwhelming share his wealth from writing books and receiving honoraria, not from his wages as a politician, and not from illicitly using his position as a sitting politician to boost his net worth. What would you do? Prohibit from writing a book someone who thinks they have something to say and that others may want to read?

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fdanalexander%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F01%2FBarack-net-worth-20-million-pie-chart.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fdanalexander%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F01%2FBarack-net-worth-in-office-earnings.jpg

Talk about EMOLUMENTS CLAUSE.....no one enriched themselves DIRECTLY OFF OF THE PRESIDENCY like the Obamas and Clintons have...
Really? How about you explain how Obama or Clinton violated the Emoluments Clause? If you need a reference examples, Trump can help with that.

Horse crap. Provide evidence that Obama ever mocked anyone for getting rich.

Your propaganda masters convinced you he's a communist, so I wouldn't talk about "bull****," my friend ;)
LOL, I bet you don't even see the irony in talking about "propaganda masters" as you dutifully spew classic loony left mantras.

Why do conservatives get so angry over how much money other people have?

Is it anger or pointing how stupid liberals are in wanting to redistribute wealth. Deep down rich liberals know it will never happen.

True communists would be insulted to be associated with a capitalist like obama.

LOL, I bet you don't even see the irony in talking about "propaganda masters" as you dutifully spew classic loony left mantras.

Aww, you think "Obama isn't actually a communist" is a "loony left" viewpoint. That's cute.

Aww, you think "Obama isn't actually a communist" is a "loony left" viewpoint. That's cute.
Find me a post where I ever said Obama WAS a communist or admit you're just full of bull****.

Back
Top Bottom