• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Obama Tax Cut Noboby Heard Of...

Except for timing, this was indistinguishable from Bush's "stimulus check" program. Did people consider that a "tax cut," or just a one-off check?

Parisanship seems to complicate these issues beyond reason.

...Why not allow the companies that are at maximum utilization to expand ...

Why would we only want producers of "Going out of Business" signs and foreclosure notice paperwork to expand? Those are the only industries that I know of that are at maximum utilization.

Why would we only want producers of "Going out of Business" signs and foreclosure notice paperwork to expand? Those are the only industries that I know of that are at maximum utilization.

Look at unemployment by industry to see what needs to shrink and what needs to grow.

Except for timing, this was indistinguishable from Bush's "stimulus check" program. Did people consider that a "tax cut," or just a one-off check?

I don't know, I think everyone forgot about that one too.

But there are tax increases in the healthcare bill, so it's kind of hard to say (at least from this elementary analysis).

but when do they take effect?

next year. that was the point of the plan; they had to fit 10 years of tax collecting into 6 years of benefit providing in order not to be able to claim that it didn't massively increase the deficit. mind you, it still does, because they passed the 'doc fix' about 30 seconds after passing Obamacare; which sent the plan immediately hundreds of billions into the red... but... :shrug:

I knew about it in part because it was the first thing I verified when I did my 2009 Federal Tax Return and because it was listed among one of the many campaign promises kept by President Obama (See PoliticFact.com "Obama Promises" for details), but I was surprised to learn why few people even realized that their taxes were actually cut under the Obama Administration.

This article explains why this was "the tax nobody heard".

So, why was it that few people realized their taxes had been cut?

And there you have it.

Obama's strategy of the unseen taxcut did a lot of damage that the administration is unwilling to admit to. For example, for families with two income earners, or individuals who worked two jobs, they ended up owing more taxes at the end of the year because their withholding was adjusted lower for a tax credit they ended up not qualifying for. Also, seniors and military retirees received part of the credit during the year as their regular check and ended up having to reduce the credit at the end of the year by that amount. I had a few clients who found themselves owing hundreds of dollars at the end of the year because of how poorly this tax credit was managed.

And unlike Bush's stimulus check, where he had the IRS setup a website where preparers could see if their clients were eligible or had already received it, the Obama administration didn't come out with any sort of verification until April. Many taxpayers ended up discovering that they would receive less than expected after their return was already completed because of how poorly the credit was handled.

That's probably part of why Obama hasn't made such a big deal about these stimulus payments.

I love how his promise to close Guantanamo within one year is categorized as "stalled" rather than "broken."

:lol:

Just wondering, do you love that gitmo is still open and operational, or that the promise to close it by a specific date does not fit into your black and white world? Are you as equally critical of ALL politicians who do not fulfill 100% of their campaign promises?

Keep in mind, I am not an outright Obama supporter. I find it ironic that you are probably someone who is in favor of Gitmo being operational, and might even understand why it is a necessary operational venture, yet you are mocking President for having it operational... Maybe just maybe when he came into office, he also realized Gitmo's importance. Is it more important to keep a promise or do what's right?

I respect someone who is not stuborn and can actually change his/her mind when facts are presented. Your opinion?

Just wondering, do you love that gitmo is still open and operational

Yes.

or that the promise to close it by a specific date does not fit into your black and white world? Are you as equally critical of ALL politicians who do not fulfill 100% of their campaign promises?

I like to think that I'm pretty critical of most politicians who don't fulfill their promises. I tend to be a bit more critical when it's plain on the face of the promise that the person doesn't intend to keep it.

Keep in mind, I am not an outright Obama supporter. I find it ironic that you are probably someone who is in favor of Gitmo being operational, and might even understand why it is a necessary operational venture, yet you are mocking President for having it operational...

I don't think you're understanding my point.

I'm mocking:

1) That website for saying that Obama's promise is "stalled" rather than "broken,"
2) Obama for making promises that he knew or should have known he would not be able to fulfill.

Maybe just maybe when he came into office, he also realized Gitmo's importance. Is it more important to keep a promise or do what's right?

I'm sure that he had plenty of realizations like that, which I think go a long way toward explaining his remarkable rightward shift on foreign policy and national security issues. I'm quite glad for those shifts. That doesn't mean I can't point out that he wrote a lot of checks that he can't/had no intention of cashing. Also doesn't mean I can't shake my head at the people who voted for him because they were convinced that he was going to be a 180 from Bush on these issues.

I'm sure that he had plenty of realizations like that, which I think go a long way toward explaining his remarkable rightward shift on foreign policy and national security issues. I'm quite glad for those shifts.
I am glad that I am not the only person who has noticed this. Thank you.

That doesn't mean I can't point out that he wrote a lot of checks that he can't/had no intention of cashing. Also doesn't mean I can't shake my head at the people who voted for him because they were convinced that he was going to be a 180 from Bush on these issues.
Anyone who votes for a politician and expects 100% of their political promises to be fulfilled is a fool. Politicians lie. Politicians also have many plans which they wish to pass, but it is always more involved than saying "I said so, now let it be." If you really don't understand the difficulties of moving a policy in politics, and some times you need to conceed something to get something, then please speak up on that point.

I like to think that I'm pretty critical of most politicians who don't fulfill their promises. I tend to be a bit more critical when it's plain on the face of the promise that the person doesn't intend to keep it.
Again, I am just curious since I don't know your personal views... but, what's your feeling of Bush's promise to not use the military for "Nation building". Or the promise Bush made prior to the invasion of fully funding the war and supporting all the troop needs, while SOLDIERS were in Iraq in 2004 were forced to buy their own body armor.

Again I am not taking sides, I am wondering if you were doing the same head shaking, finger pointing, and mocking, or if you are a "team player" and are more cititical of the opposition.

I'm mocking:

1) That website for saying that Obama's promise is "stalled" rather than "broken,"
2) Obama for making promises that he knew or should have known he would not be able to fulfill.
"Stalled", I can understand the mocking... as it should be listed as broken in the black and white sense of the date has been completed. But "Revised" with the plans of closing when is in the best interest of the US is not really mock worthy. There is nothing wrong with revising the plan when faced with facts. I would rather have people in positions of power who are flexible in their positions rather than black and white. I do understand the twist of the knife you are offering, but mocking for doing the "right" thing accomplishes nothing and just adds to the political polarity which is ripping apart this country.

As for the second part, Once he became president, then the full scope of the problems were in his hand. I am not a fan, and I will probaly not vote for him in 12 (as long as the rebublicans don't put Palin or some religous kook on the ticket), but he seems like a very cerebral person, rather than a "shoot from the hip" previous president. I do believe he calculates out his plans (not that I agree with his decisions, but I do believe them to be calculated).

Was he deceitful on the campaign trail, maybe. Was he better informed once he became president, I'm sure of that. Is he better informed than you or me, no doubt.

Anyone who votes for a politician and expects 100% of their political promises to be fulfilled is a fool. Politicians lie. Politicians also have many plans which they wish to pass, but it is always more involved than saying "I said so, now let it be." If you really don't understand the difficulties of moving a policy in politics, and some times you need to conceed something to get something, then please speak up on that point.

I don't expect politicians to be truthful 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean that I can't be aggravated about this type of thing. When Obama was running, he made all sorts of promises about how he was going to put an end to various Bush policies once he took office. When I pointed out that he was full of **** on many of those counts, a number of his defenders argued that I was wrong and that Obama was really a different type of politician. Now that he took office and did exactly what we expected, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that he lied about that **** in order to trick people to vote for him.

Again, I am just curious since I don't know your personal views... but, what's your feeling of Bush's promise to not use the military for "Nation building". Or the promise Bush made prior to the invasion of fully funding the war and supporting all the troop needs, while SOLDIERS were in Iraq in 2004 were forced to buy their own body armor.

Again I am not taking sides, I am wondering if you were doing the same head shaking, finger pointing, and mocking, or if you are a "team player" and are more cititical of the opposition.

To the extent that Bush promised not to engage in nation building while secretly intending to engage in nation building, that's equally aggravating. To the extent that he promised not to engage in nation building and was then presented with different circumstances that changed his position, that's somewhat less aggravating. Again, if Obama had truly intended to do everything he promised but was faced with changed circumstances, that would be one thing. It doesn't seem like that's the case on every issue.

"Stalled", I can understand the mocking... as it should be listed as broken in the black and white sense of the date has been completed. But "Revised" with the plans of closing when is in the best interest of the US is not really mock worthy. There is nothing wrong with revising the plan when faced with facts. I would rather have people in positions of power who are flexible in their positions rather than black and white. I do understand the twist of the knife you are offering, but mocking for doing the "right" thing accomplishes nothing and just adds to the political polarity which is ripping apart this country.

Again, I'm not mocking Obama for his decision. I'm mocking the factchecker for its bull**** and Obama for his earlier promises.

As for the second part, Once he became president, then the full scope of the problems were in his hand. I am not a fan, and I will probaly not vote for him in 12 (as long as the rebublicans don't put Palin or some religous kook on the ticket), but he seems like a very cerebral person, rather than a "shoot from the hip" previous president. I do believe he calculates out his plans (not that I agree with his decisions, but I do believe them to be calculated).

Was he deceitful on the campaign trail, maybe. Was he better informed once he became president, I'm sure of that. Is he better informed than you or me, no doubt.

Of course, but that doesn't mean that we should automatically excuse everything that he does.

Back
Top Bottom