• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Obama Doctrine: Equal Partnership

Today, in Libya we see perhaps the first implementation of the Obama Doctrine: the U.S. will act in the world in equal partnership with other allies and established coalitions. No longer will the U.S. necessarily be the first among equals.

From the U.N. to the first strike by the French, then the British, America has allowed others to lead. So far the U.S. has not sent any planes into Libyan skies, albeit launching many dozens of of Tomahawk missiles at fixed anti-aircraft and command and control facilities.

This embedded approach is a major departure from what has gone on since WWII. It is a welcome change.

Heard Matthew Chance on CNN say that of the 224 Tomahawk missiles striking Libyan targets in the first 24-hours, the U.S. launched 222 and Britain, 2. Phase 1 is not the equal partnership that the Obama Administration would have us understand. Perhaps Phase 2 will be a little more balanced.

I agree it is a welcome change, President Obama knows the value of working as a team , I believe that there was a total of 112 Tomahawk missiles fired

You're right, I think Matthew Chance's numbers were 124 missiles fired with 122 fired by the Americans and just 2 fired by the British. But whatever the numbers, so far American resources have been the bulk of the effort delivered so far. Perhaps that will change in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom