• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The NYT Publication of Leaked Personal Tax Records

Trump could show us the story is false by showing us the last page of his 1040... Let me know when he does...
Yeah, only a fool would fall for that cheap trick and a well known tactic. The trick is already known anyway, since Harry Reed did that to Mitt Romney - with the NYT playing right along that time too.

In one campaign, I convinced my candidate to accuse the opponent of giving "thousands of dollars" as a political contribution to an unnamed official opposite party. The other candid responded with he didn't give thousands of dollars, only $100, naming the official he gave it to.

Lucky guess. Trial lawyers always give a little money to every judge. Smoked him out into a confession. It didn't matter how much he contributed to the other side in a primary election. $100. $10,000. Same thing to partisans.

If the NYT story wasn't a lie, they would make the tax returns available. It's just a day before the debate cheap trick - that Biden of course can use. There is NO lie the NYT won't tell against Trump at this stage of the election - none. Why not lie? Nothing Trump or anyone else can do about it.

Shouldn't voters have a right to know if Donald Trump's massive amount of debt could constitute a conflict of interest before they vote in the upcoming presidential election?

Shouldn't voters know if Joe Biden is in early stage dementia using drugs to get thru a debate? Biden could prove Trump wrong - but won't. Obviously Biden will be drugged up with speed for the debate. Otherwise he would agree to prove Trump is wrong.

Yeah, only a fool would fall for that cheap trick and a well known tactic. The trick is already known anyway, since Harry Reed did that to Mitt Romney - with the NYT playing right along that time too.

In one campaign, I convinced my candidate to accuse the opponent of giving "thousands of dollars" as a political contribution to an unnamed official opposite party. The other candid responded with he didn't give thousands of dollars, only $100, naming the official he gave it to.

Lucky guess. Trial lawyers always give a little money to every judge. Smoked him out into a confession. It didn't matter how much he contributed to the other side in a primary election. $100. $10,000. Same thing to partisans.

If the NYT story wasn't a lie, they would make the tax returns available. It's just a day before the debate cheap trick - that Biden of course can use. There is NO lie the NYT won't tell against Trump at this stage of the election - none. Why not lie? Nothing Trump or anyone else can do about it.

Trump could tell us how much he paid in taxes in 2016 and 2017... Go on the record and not show his tax returns...

Shouldn't we be able to read every email and text a candidate sends to know they aren't spies or engaged in criminal behavior?

Shouldn't we be able to see every room in a candidate's house to know they don't have sex slave children there or it is a meth lab?

Shouldn't we be able to read all communications by political parties to know they aren't engaged in illegal dirty tricks?

Shouldn't we be able to see years of bank statements and credit card statements of all candidates?

Shouldn't candidates wear cameras with video and audio 24/7 so we know they aren't taking bribes?

Trump could tell us how much he paid in taxes in 2016 and 2017... Go on the record and not show his tax returns...
I confident Trump would pay for Biden's pre-debate drug test. Go on record. Prove Trump and medical experts wrong.

Should we be able to see all candidates complete medical records?

Trump waved and press published stolen internal DNC communications. Now press published (what I assume is) data from stolen tax returns which are in fact Trump communications with IRS. I know you want to differentiate this, but I am sure if there is any law violations in this case, Trump will happily sue NYT. We already had examples of earlier publications of some Trump returns in the past (much smaller subset) but no lawsuits had come out of it back then either.

Trump waved? What does that mean?

Shouldn't voters have a right to know if Donald Trump's massive amount of debt could constitute a conflict of interest before they vote in the upcoming presidential election?
A right to know? No. Certainly they have a right to not vote for him if him not telling them is concerning.

He has nothing to gain from that. Instead he can play the victim and bash the media. These kinds of attacks have so far backfired against him.

There comes a point at which enough is enough. No one but TDS’ers care anymore. “NYT hates Trump, WaPo hates Trump, etc.” most Americans at this point understand the media is corrupt and that is the way it is. I would not be a bit surprised to see an anti trust effort in Trumps second term, and I think Americans would support it, particularly since their parent companies are all quoting each other since the day of the reporter has been distilled down to forty or fifty real people, who are terribly under paid.

FOR YOU TAX WEENIES: If Trump forgoes his salary, and orders it donated (which I think he does), it is deductible?

If it is deductible, you know it is being claimed..........

Shouldn't voters know if Joe Biden is in early stage dementia using drugs to get thru a debate? Biden could prove Trump wrong - but won't. Obviously Biden will be drugged up with speed for the debate. Otherwise he would agree to prove Trump is wrong.

Of course they should. However, there is no evidence for this. Just conservative talking points and speculation. If the NYT finds evidence that he is, let them share it.

Shouldn't we be able to read every email and text a candidate sends to know they aren't spies or engaged in criminal behavior?

Shouldn't we be able to see every room in a candidate's house to know they don't have sex slave children there or it is a meth lab?

Shouldn't we be able to read all communications by political parties to know they aren't engaged in illegal dirty tricks?

Shouldn't we be able to see years of bank statements and credit card statements of all candidates?

Shouldn't candidates wear cameras with video and audio 24/7 so we know they aren't taking bribes?

Doesn't matter what you think we "should" see. We have what we have.

Is it ethical?
Is it legal?

Certainly its biased. I dont think anyone can seriously challenge the idea that The NYT supports liberalism and is using the paper to influence the election. I think its also unethical. Just read the SPJ code of ethics and you can see many of their codes violated.

Legality is a gray area. The press is certainly free, but people also have a right to privacy. Private citizens, much less public officials have very little ability to fight people who buy ink by the barrel. I wouldnt put it past the NYT to encourage leaking of private information, but theres no evidence of it. The NYT wont provide the leaked documents to protect their sources. So their covering up a criminal act at the least, to further their own political goals. Then publishing private information in order to harm the reputation of a person who has a right to private person is likely slander, but again, the press is free. So, I dont know. Its unlikely anyone will be punished for this, and if Trump wins, it wont have mattered. Even if he loses, hes still rich and powerful, more than the NYT.
Is it ethical?
Is it legal?
Yes. I was in favor of Wikileaks releasing Hillary Clinton's emails in 2016, and I'm not going to be a mindless hypocrite now with something as unremarkable as Trump's tax returns. We all know the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes.

What did Trump and GOP do with DNC email? I know wikileaks acquired their emails and published them. The hacking is certainly illegal, but publishing communications is a lot different than federal tax information.

How so? If we're entitled to a right to privacy, does that only apply to tax records? Makes no sense. I'm sure millions of Americans would rather have their boring tax returns published than all their emails, texts and photos, because those personal items would be far more embarrassing or damaging than someone knowing they didn't make a whole lot of money, and only paid $834 in income taxes or whatever....

The Times has put itself in an interesting position here. They have presented these records as if they are fact but then refuse to release the records in support of that claim. At this point, and unless they release the records, it looks like the Times is engaging in a highly politicized disinformation campaign designed to harm Donald Trump's political goals.

What is the disinformation? The numbers cited are either true or not. If false, Trump can prove that in a half hour for many of the claims.

That type of isn't "news" and it isn't an act of "the press" as we understand the term. It's a purely political act and, frankly, opens the door to litigation over whether the sources can be protected or not. In many ways this is the same as what's going on with social media platforms. If they are editing user content in ways that favor one political ideology over another then they are not acting as platforms for free speech and, again, should not be protected on that basis.

The Times, as I see it, has got to release their source data. They don't have to say who they got it from but they damned sure need to provide the data so that others, including Trump, can properly address the claims that have been made.

That's nonsense, but you should know that where you're posting favors non-racist dirtbags over those racist dirtbags, kicks the latter off routinely, and still is protected by the same rules that Twitter et al. use to protect themselves from user generated content. Privately owned companies actually can discriminate all they want based on pretty much anything. There is no law and should be no law, for example, that would require a Holocaust survivor forum to put up with Nazi scum posting there. They can kick them off for any reason or no reason at all. Twitter and FB and others are just bigger, but operate under the same rules.

This entire conversation is why politicians taxes are not released.

You mean except for the returns for every president since Nixon....

Everyone has an opinion, and no one is a corporate tax attorney with 100 lbs of documents in front of them, preparing for a sit down with tne IRS to avoid court, where IRS almost always loses! (In reality, the negotiate a fair resolution) It is a sad byproduct created by a life of “doing” rather than a career on the public teat.

This ain’t Turbo-Tax, Sonny.

It is just one more shit splatter by discredited shit splatterers, that no one listens to anymore.

Some of us are listening...

If I had a legal dispute with someone and hired a lawyer, I should know whether that lawyer has any kind of debt to that or any other relevant persons. Civil servants are hired put there the people, and should not be 400M in the hole to banking institutions.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

The NYT has not published President Trump's tax returns. That's just an outright lie. The title of this thread is a lie.

You mean except for the returns for every president since Nixon....

Some of us are listening...
The NYT has not published President Trump's tax returns. That's just an outright lie. The title of this thread is a lie.
you can be sure that the people who understand corporate taxes in billion dollar companies aren’t in this thread making asses of themselves.

Is it ethical?
Is it legal?
Yes. I was in favor of Wikileaks releasing Hillary Clinton's emails in 2016, and I'm not going to be a mindless hypocrite now with something as unremarkable as Trump's tax returns. We all know the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes.
Well again, thats different, but also wrong. Some of her emails were work product of her federal job, so we are more entitled to them. Party communications we are not but still, theyre just conversations.

This is federal tax information. Much more restricted. But you think the media aquiring and publishing a persons tax info is not at the very least, unethical? On its now, not relative.

What is the disinformation? The numbers cited are either true or not. If false, Trump can prove that in a half hour for many of the claims.

That's nonsense, but you should know that where you're posting favors non-racist dirtbags over those racist dirtbags, kicks the latter off routinely, and still is protected by the same rules that Twitter et al. use to protect themselves from user generated content. Privately owned companies actually can discriminate all they want based on pretty much anything. There is no law and should be no law, for example, that would require a Holocaust survivor forum to put up with Nazi scum posting there. They can kick them off for any reason or no reason at all. Twitter and FB and others are just bigger, but operate under the same rules.
You lefties do the same thing over and over and over. You consistently demand that the accused prove the claims against them are false instead of demanding that the accuser prove their claims are true. That isn't justice. It's tyranny. When any person can make any claim against their political enemy and then bee held to no account whatsoeverr for the veracity of that claim we no longer have a free society. The political information system you endorse is flagrantly Stalinist.

You lefties do the same thing over and over and over. You consistently demand that the accused prove the claims against them are false instead of demanding that the accuser prove their claims are true. That isn't justice. It's tyranny. When any person can make any claim against their political enemy and then bee held to no account whatsoeverr for the veracity of that claim we no longer have a free society. The political information system you endorse is flagrantly Stalinist.

Stalinist!!! Do we all have to drink?

You called it a, quote, "disinformation" campaign. There's no evidence of a single wrong number.

And when Trump can prove beyond any doubt the story is false in a few minutes, I don't have a lot of sympathy to his plight, especially since what is required is what every President has voluntarily done for a half century, as well as all general election candidates for the past couple of decades, and what Biden, and Harris and Pence have all done, and what Trump has promised he WILL DO many times in the past five years, and he's lied every time. And he doesn't have to release a return at all - just one page of ONE return will do it. He won't and you know why - the data are accurately reported.

Finally, I've lived through the Clinton scandals, the Obama years, the birthers, years of Hillary's emails, BENGHAZI!!!, the foundation, and dozens and dozens of baseless, still unproved allegations, so when you turn this around on the left, it's just projection, and laughable as hell.

The birther stuff, and Trump joined in that nonsense, was one long example of ever shifting goalposts demanding Obama prove he was born in Hawaii. Statements by Hawaii officials didn't work, him producing a BC didn't work, they needed the other one, and even him producing the long form wasn't enough for right wingers. Remember Obama is a Muslim? I do. On this forum, there's still the accusation Hillary took a bribe to approve the uranium sale - not a shred of evidence. Jerome Corsi made a career out of what you're alleging the "lefties" are doing. It's a right wing specialty. etc...... So take your crocodile tears about the unfairness of baseless allegations in politics, and see if you can find someone who cares.

$1 million and $4.3 million. Happy now?

Back
Top Bottom