• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Nullification Party

You didn't say anything about "the US." You said "party." So it's OK to "nullify" when things don't go your way if it's at the state level? That's your play?

What they did was not about to send the country into a Constitutional crisis. It only delayed a vote on some insignificant bill. THis is a matter of forcing the US into a default or otherwise making the president break the law.

Riiiiiiiiight. But that's not what I asked -- was it the Republicans who did that?
If not then they shouldn't be proud to deny Constitutional rights to people. The courts did what was right.

What they did was not about to send the country into a Constitutional crisis. It only delayed a vote on some insignificant bill. THis is a matter of forcing the US into a default or otherwise making the president break the law.

Pffff. Now you're just backpedaling. Crying, and trying to do an end-run around it, when you don't get your way at the polls is a bad thing, or it isn't. You're full of excuses for Democrats, which isn't much of a surprise.

Note: those Democrats were not only throwing a tantrum, they were actually breaking the law, which is why they had to flee to the state.

If not then they shouldn't be proud to deny constitutional rights to people.

250px-New_Dodge_logo.png

Pffff. Now you're just backpedaling. Crying, and trying to do an end-run around it, when you don't get your way at the polls is a bad thing, or it isn't. You're full of excuses for Democrats, which isn't much of a surprise.

Note: those Democrats were not only throwing a tantrum, they were actually breaking the law, which is why they had to flee to the state.
No you're the one bringing up apples while we were talking about oranges.

Why do you want to deny people their Constitutional rights?

No you're the one bringing up apples while we were talking about oranges.

Nope. These are the apples, as defined by YOU:

When they can't get their way, meaning when the GOP loses an election, they race to delegitimize the winners. They did it with Clinton, going so far as to impeach him after he won reelection by destroying that old fart, Bob Dole, who lost because he had no personality and no cohesive campaign back in 1996. They did it again after Obama routed another old fart, back in '08, when both Houses of Congress also went against them.

Remember the Tea Party protests of 2010 and the "Party of no"? Those fools acted like the world was coming to an end. Biggest bunch of sore losers I ever witnessed.

And, now, after another ass-beating in yet another reelection campaign, and after losing Senate seats in traditionally red states like Indiana and Missouri, the GOP is once again acting like a spoiled child, this time basically holding it's breath and watching the country turn blue.

They simply cannot abide by seeing a majority disagreeing with them politically. They simply cannot respect the opposition. If they win, they govern as if the opposition does not exist. If the opposition wins, they batten down the hatches and refuse to cooperate in any way shape or form. They are the nullification party.

Which perfectly describes what the Democrats did in Wisconsin. Not only by illegally fleeing the state to prevent a vote they didn't want to go down, but by launching their recall elections.

It also describes what the proponents of same-sex marriage have done all over the place when they lose at the polls, especially in California.

Why do you want to deny people their Constitutional rights?

I don't. Another of your transparent dodges. What I think about it doesn't matter; I never tried to do any runs around results I didn't like.

Clearly, for you, it's OK when the "right" people do it, but it's a problem if Republicans do it. <------------------ The only thing which explains your attempts to draw the distinctions you have tried to draw.

Nope. These are the apples, as defined by YOU:

Which perfectly describes what the Democrats did in Wisconsin. Not only by illegally fleeing the state to prevent a vote they didn't want to go down, but by launching their recall elections.

It also describes what the proponents of same-sex marriage have done all over the place when they lose at the polls, especially in California.
Nonsense. It's apples to oranges. THe GOP forcing the US into default in no compares to a vote on unions in Wisconsin.

I don't. Another of your transparent dodges. What I think about it doesn't matter; I never tried to do any runs around results I didn't like.

Clearly, for you, it's OK when the "right" people do it, but it's a problem if Republicans do it. <------------------ The only thing which explains your attempts to draw the distinctions you have tried to draw.
Uh, the courts finding a popular vote to be unconstitutional is exactly what the founders had in mind when they set up our three-branch government. You have heard of that whole "tyranny of the majority" thing?

Nonsense. It's apples to oranges. THe GOP forcing the US into default in no compares to a vote on unions in Wisconsin.

You can't even be honest about what you yourself defined as the problem. The subject matter is irrelevant. The behavior is.

That is, if the premise of this thread is to be taken seriously at all, and from what you're now saying, like so many of your other threads, it shouldn't be.

Uh, the courts finding a popular vote to be unconstitutional is exactly what the founders had in mind when they set up our three-branch government. You have heard of that whole "tyranny of the majority" thing?

Uh, California is only one example, and that's not even what the courts found. SSM has been pushed in many places through the courts where it's been soundly defeated at the polls.

Last edited:
You can't even be honest about what you yourself defined as the problem. The subject matter is irrelevant. The behavior is.

That is, if the premise of this thread is to be taken seriously at all, and from what you're now saying, like so many of your other threads, it shouldn't be.
I said what the D's did in Wisconsin was stupid. But them fleeing never even came close to what we are talking about here.

Uh, California is only one example, and that's not even what the courts found. SSM has been pushed in many places through the courts where it's been soundly defeated at the polls.
SSM is a matter of constitutional rights, even your Roberts led SCOTUS agreed.

BTW, Roberts even found Obamacare Constitutional. You guys can't even agree with your own team when you don't get your way--the GOP demands lockstep adherence or they label that person a RINO/

I said what the D's did in Wisconsin was stupid. But them fleeing never even came close to what we are talking about here.

What you're talking about is throwing a tantrum and trying to do an end run around legitimate electoral and legislative results, which is what the Democrats did. If that's not what you're talking about, then this thread is dishonest, partisan-hack horse****. Which, of course, you're revealing it to be with every post.

SSM is a matter of constitutional rights, even your Roberts led SCOTUS agreed.

You can continue to dodge all you like (and attribute opinions to me that I have not expressed). That you do continue, though, only shows you know you're underwater on the point.

Fat guys was in reference to the new confederates. You missed a few posts, obviously.

"New confederates?" Like the democrats that say the constitution is "only a piece of paper," and they can interpret it however they want?

"New confederates?" Like the democrats that say the constitution is "only a piece of paper," and they can interpret it however they want?

The comment I made was specifically aimed at the remark made to this post.

The GOP is run at this point by neo-confederates who want to revisit the Civil War. Maybe we should accommodate them.
which was this silly remark, here:
Be careful what you wish for.

What you're talking about is throwing a tantrum and trying to do an end run around legitimate electoral and legislative results, which is what the Democrats did. If that's not what you're talking about, then this thread is dishonest, partisan-hack horse****. Which, of course, you're revealing it to be with every post.
Like what happens in Wisconsin matters. You're reaching.

You can continue to dodge all you like (and attribute opinions to me that I have not expressed). That you do continue, though, only shows you know you're underwater on the point.
No. You're failing to see that a judicial ruling on SSM is not a partisan matter, as the SCOTUS decision on DOMA proves.

Like what happens in Wisconsin matters. You're reaching.

No, this response is a "reach." It's simply you excusing Democrats for doing what you're blasting the Republicans for doing. You said it was "stupid." You didn't say it was "wrong," nor that it was an attempt at "nullification." In fact, you've denied it was such an attempt.

In fact, you've tried to dismiss other examples of Democrat "nullification" elsewhere in the thread by claiming it didn't matter because every attempt at Democrats mounting a recall election failed.

So, for you -- it's bad when Republicans to do it. It's meaningless when Democrats do it.

So yeah, this thread is indeed partisan horse****.

No. You're failing to see that a judicial ruling on SSM is not a partisan matter, as the SCOTUS decision on DOMA proves.

:doh Bringing the suit is the end-run around the voting/legislative process. Who's bringing the suits? It isn't Republicans.

Last edited:
No, this response is a "reach." It's simply you excusing Democrats for doing what you're blasting the Republicans for doing. You said it was "stupid." You didn't say it was "wrong," nor that it was an attempt at "nullification." In fact, you've denied it was such an attempt.

In fact, you've tried to dismiss other examples of Democrat "nullification" elsewhere in the thread by claiming it didn't matter because every attempt at Democrats mounting a recall election failed.

So, for you -- it's bad when Republicans to do it. It's meaningless when Democrats do it.

:doh Bringing the suit is the end-run around the voting/legislative process. Who's bringing the suits? It isn't Republicans.

Well now. I see that this shutdown does share one thing in common with Wisconsin--THe Koch Brothers.

The billionaire Koch brothers, Charles and David, have been deeply involved with financing the overall effort. A group linked to the Kochs, Freedom Partners Chamber of Commerce, disbursed more than $200 million last year to nonprofit organizations involved in the fight. Included was $5 million to Generation Opportunity, which created a buzz last month with an Internet advertisement showing a menacing Uncle Sam figure popping up between a woman’s legs during a gynecological exam.

The groups have also sought to pressure vulnerable Republican members of Congress with scorecards keeping track of their health care votes; have burned faux “Obamacare cards” on college campuses; and have distributed scripts for phone calls to Congressional offices, sample letters to editors and Twitter and Facebook offerings for followers to present as their own.

One sample Twitter offering — “Obamacare is a train wreck” — is a common refrain for Speaker John A. Boehner.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us/a-federal-budget-crisis-months-in-the-planning.html?hp&_r=0
Figures.

I imagine it's gays--you know, those who are having their rights stripped--that are bringing the suits. Doesn't take a rocket science to see that.

Are you claiming that there are no gays in the GOP? I think that nut job in the dinner jacket said the same about Iran once.

Well now. I see that this shutdown does share one thing in common with Wisconsin--THe Koch Brothers.

Figures.

As if that has a thing to do with anything either I -- or you -- have said here. We've again reached the point where you just abandon your whole line of argument.

[/thread]

As if that has a thing to do with anything either I -- or you -- have said here. We've again reached the point where you just abandon your whole line of argument.

[/thread]
No. I just dismissed your Wisconsin tangent is all. But, since you want to talk Wisconsin, I'll remind us all who is behind all this Tea Nuttery.

I imagine it's gays--you know, those who are having their rights stripped--that are bringing the suits. Doesn't take a rocket science to see that.

Are you claiming that there are no gays in the GOP? I think that nut job in the dinner jacket said the same about Iran once.

This revealing babble is just plain funny.

This revealing babble is just plain funny.

No it's not. You seem to think the fight for Gays having Constitutional Rights is a Democrat thing. It's not.

You "dismissed" nothing. You tried to change the subject.

Just expanded it a little since you seem so fixated on Wisconsin politics. Remember when that stupid Republican governor thought those radio guys were the Koch Brothers. :lol:

No it's not. You seem to think the fight for Gays having Constitutional Rights is a Democrat thing. It's not.

What I think is that you can't read. What I know is that, as usual, you've given up on your own premise and are now arguing juvenile minutiae.

Just expanded it a little since you seem so fixated on Wisconsin politics. Remember when that stupid Republican governor thought those radio guys were the Koch Brothers. :lol:

:roll:

The more you continue on this, the more foolish you look. In the other thread, earlier this evening, you had the good sense to stop posting. I might suggest something similar here, for your own sake.

:roll:

The more you continue on this, the more foolish you look. In the other thread, earlier this evening, you had the good sense to stop posting. I might suggest something similar here, for your own sake.
I need to get back to that thread. I've been distracted. Lots of good football to catch up on.

What I think is that you can't read. What I know is that, as usual, you've given up on your own premise and are now arguing juvenile minutiae.
No. You seem to think that the court cases involving SSM are partisan. THey are not. So, fail you.

I need to get back to that thread. I've been distracted. Lots of good football to catch up on.

And now you're not even putting up a pretense of dealing with THIS one.

I guess that's all.

Back
Top Bottom