• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Nuclear Threat

trouble13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
The point of this thread isn't to bash anyone. The point is to stimulate thought...

I'm curious if anyone has thought about what happens if we do economically crush Russia.

They have 3 ways of making money on the black market.

1. There will always be buyers for energy. They currently produce 1/5th of the world supply.

2. They could go into the ransomware business full time

3. They could sell off their nuclear parental to the highest bidders.

I'm not against sanctions against Russia but I do wonder if the people in charge are prepared to combat these things.

How much would Iran or North Korea pay to get their hands on a functioning nuclear warhead? What would they do with it? Its a scary thought.

I think the global community needs to be cautious with how we deal with Russia. Their destruction is a unique threat of it's own and I am curious if anyone has taken the time to consider this.

Trump told everyone the other day, putin is smart the u.s. leadership is dumb. Didn't you get the memo?

Are the North Koreans looking to buy bombs to replace the ones they already built and tested?

I hope the people you think should consider this are better informed about who already has nukes.

The point of this thread isn't to bash anyone. The point is to stimulate thought...

I'm curious if anyone has thought about what happens if we do economically crush Russia.

1. There will always be buyers for energy. They currently produce 1/5th of the world supply.

I'm not against sanctions against Russia but I do wonder if the people in charge are prepared to combat these things.

How much would Iran or North Korea pay to get their hands on a functioning nuclear warhead? What would they do with it? Its a scary thought.

I think the global community needs to be cautious with how we deal with Russia. Their destruction is a unique threat of it's own and I am curious if anyone has taken the time to consider this.
1. North Korea already has nuclear weapons.
2. Iran already has enough troubles. Inciting Israel to attack probably isn’t high on the Shah’s to do list.
3. Punishments being laid on Putin aren’t only justified, they are necessary.

What do you suggest be done to stop a raging and non-thinking bull from attacking and beating down everyone he considers is a problem for him?

The only solution (in my opinion( is to castrate him. Anything else is not going to stop the bull once he begins raging.

1. North Korea already has nuclear weapons.
2. Iran already has enough troubles. Inciting Israel to attack probably isn’t high on the Shah’s to do list.
3. Punishments being laid on Putin aren’t only justified, they are necessary.
I'm not arguing that Russia should not be punished. I see reason to be cautious in how it's done.

Are the North Koreans looking to buy bombs to replace the ones they already built and tested?

I hope the people you think should consider this are better informed about who already has nukes.
You are being naive if you think nations are not interested in increasing their nuclear stockpiles.

The food supplying running low for Russia is funny because can you imagine China mobilizing there troops and the food requirements they need?

What do you suggest be done to stop a raging and non-thinking bull from attacking and beating down everyone he considers is a problem for him?

The only solution (in my opinion( is to castrate him. Anything else is not going to stop the bull once he begins raging.
I don't have a suggestion just a warning for caution.

How much would Iran or North Korea pay to get their hands on a functioning nuclear warhead? What would they do with it?

Not much or anything as the technology is already in house. They could always sit and look at it. They sure as hell would not use it. They are nation states.

Do you know why them being nation states is significant?

I think all the intelligent (and sane) minds that are involved in NATO are fully aware of the potential for harmful escalation and are approaching this with all the caution possible. Smart people (not ball controlled people like Putin) will always go step by step and not get ahead of themselves.

Warning for caution is not necessary when so many (not just one person) are involved.

It is my opinion that the involved nations are using the utmost caution. If you or I could think of that, I'm quite sure experienced military and political advisors thought of it too. The biggest problem we all have is there are too many armchair quarterbacks. Leave it to the professionals and pray. We are doing everything we can do short of sending in troops.

With Putin, it's like walking a tight rope in a strong wind. No one knows what he will do next, not even his own military leaders. The man has snapped and hopefully will be the beginning of his demise. It's just a matter of how long it will take and how many lives are lost before it happens. A true unnecessary tragedy.

Not much or anything as the technology is already in house. They could always sit and look at it. They sure as hell would not use it. They are nation states.

Do you know why them being nation states is significant?
Nooe I can not say that I do see why that's significant in this discussion. Please enlighten me

I think all the intelligent (and sane) minds that are involved in NATO are fully aware of the potential for harmful escalation and are approaching this with all the caution possible. Smart people (not ball controlled people like Putin) will always go step by step and not get ahead of themselves.

Warning for caution is not necessary when so many (not just one person) are involved.
I certainly hope you are right. Russia is a complex dilemma that the world needs to deal with.

Nooe I can not say that I do see why that's significant in this discussion. Please enlighten me

because no country can stand up to the USA and survive. A nation state would be ended if they attacked the USA.

Nation states by definition are not suicidal.

It's rather simple.

A nuke in a terrorists hand is very different.

Saddam or Kim are/were never a threat for a first strike.

Don't let the rhetoric take you under.

I'm not arguing that Russia should not be punished. I see reason to be cautious in how it's done.
Your “cautious” reads more like timid to me. Half measures won’t impact Putin enough to move him. His history proves that.

I certainly hope you are right. Russia is a complex dilemma that the world needs to deal with.
All I can say is thank God there is no Trump around now.

We have to given Putin a way to back off with losin face. This is not so easy. This can't be done by someone like TRump screaming "our nukes are bigger than yours."

I honestly feel we should say a pray of thanks that Trump is not in power now. (and I am an agnostic)

Your “cautious” reads more like timid to me. Half measures won’t impact Putin enough to move him. His history proves that.

See my last post, this is very delicate. Very delicate.

The need for careful thought before implementing any action doesn’t escape me.

I think that is all that poster was advocating.

Don't forget, the memory of Trump is fresh in all our minds.

because no country can stand up to the USA and survive. A nation state would be ended if they attacked the USA.

Nation states by definition are not suicidal.

It's rather simple.

A nuke in a terrorists hand is very different.

Saddam or Kim are/were never a threat for a first strike.

Don't let the rhetoric take you under.
My point is that the solution could be worse than the problem if handled incorrectly. If Russia's only hope for survival is to put nukes out on the black market, why wouldn't they?

I'm not timid but I do feel like we are a bit restricted in what we can do.

For instance I am in favor of global airstrikes on all Russian military equipment inside Ukraine borders.

I'm not timid but I do feel like we are a bit restricted in what we can do.

For instance I am in favor of global airstrikes on all Russian military equipment inside Ukraine borders.
What do you mean by “global air strikes”?

Or they can stop invading Ukraine and being dickheads and the economic impact would not be what it is

Back
Top Bottom