• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The NSA is giving your phone records to the DEA. And the DEA is covering it up

DrunkenAsparagus

Devourer of Poor Children
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I can't really say that I'm shocked. The main problem the post-9/11 surveillance state is not the individual actions that the government is taking, but how infringements on people's privacy and freedom becomes more an more normal so that further encroachment is inevitable.The NSA is giving your phone records to the DEA. And the DEA is covering it up.

I also see the abuses going into the political relm as well. For instance, if something was leaked about a candidate, people don't care HOW it was leaked only that it happened. If NSA starts passing information to political opponents, the amount of abuse and harm it can do is amazing.

I can't really say that I'm shocked. The main problem the post-9/11 surveillance state is not the individual actions that the government is taking, but how infringements on people's privacy and freedom becomes more an more normal so that further encroachment is inevitable.The NSA is giving your phone records to the DEA. And the DEA is covering it up.

Interesting. I had a friend who was an IRS agent years ago and he told me all they were supposed to do was collect taxes and in fact it was a violation for the Privacy Act for the IRS to tell any other agency what a taxpayer might be up to. Example: if you sell drugs he said you can put down Drug Dealer as your occupation and as long as you paid your taxes, they were barred from reporting you to the cops. Not sure if that was the law, the IRS policy or if we was just pulling my leg.

I'm not sure what people expected the DEA to do.

"Yep, this information came from a classified wiretapping operation the NSA is running. Here's a .PDF with the details of how the system works and how to avoid it!"

I'm not sure what people expected the DEA to do.
Personally, I expected them to obey the law when they enforce the law. But since they're gathering evidence illegally, and then lying about it in court, I guess I should have expected to be disgusted instead.

Back
Top Bottom