• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The NFL's Roger Goodell is opposed to racism ... theoretically

Sandy Shanks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Gee, really, Roger is opposed to racism and police brutality. Wow! Who would have believed it?

However, like any good politician these days who are dealing with the protests, Goodell didn't say a damn thing.

Well, what did he say? Here are the important parts.

"We were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier" who were protesting police brutality. Oh, so that means the NFL was officially ignoring police brutality? I don't think so. Besides, this "brutality" involves a handful of bad cops, not the police in general.

In the roughly minute-and-a-half statement, Goodell did not mention Colin Kaepernick by name but he said the NFL will "encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest." Goodell said he would be "reaching out" to players who have "raised their voices."

What the hell does that mean? By encouraging players to speak out, is Goodell saying the NFL now endorses players taking a knee during the national anthem?

Of course not, Goodell didn't say that, but players can certainly infer that. That is what some players did, and Goodell seems to be approving the body language.

However, I doubt Goodell is approving such a gesture. So, in the end, essentially, Goodell didn't say a thing, and what little he did say was meaningless and is subject to harmful implications by the players.

What is the difference between a real person and a politician? A real person deals with the issues and answers questions directly.

A politician avoids the real issues and never answers questions directly. Instead, he/she pretends to answer by giving us B.S.

That is exactly what Goodell did with his short little speech.

This source helped with this report: "We were wrong," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says - CBS News

People are getting bullied into acting as though they care about the black cause. BLM wants to start a discussion but doesn't want to here opposing views. A simple misspeak can result in losing your job. All of these protests and bullying are just stoking the fire further of racism. When I first heard about what happened to George Floyd I was sickened. Now my attention has been turned to the riots and anarchy. The BLM could have struck in that moment and gathered support amongst all people. Instead they decided to use bullying and peer pressure to change peoples views. This has backfired and I think will set black people back.

People are getting bullied into acting as though they care about the black cause. BLM wants to start a discussion but doesn't want to here opposing views. A simple misspeak can result in losing your job. All of these protests and bullying are just stoking the fire further of racism. When I first heard about what happened to George Floyd I was sickened. Now my attention has been turned to the riots and anarchy. The BLM could have struck in that moment and gathered support amongst all people. Instead they decided to use bullying and peer pressure to change peoples views. This has backfired and I think will set black people back.

I agree with you to some degree, but that is not the subject of this thread.

I wonder if Goodell thought through the consequences of what he said in terms of the upcoming football season.

The NFL will "encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest."

You know, when, if, the season starts, I just want to watch football, not a protest. Goodell should have kept his mouth shut. I seriously doubt I am alone in that thinking.

If someone wants to protest something, they can do it anywhere on the planet ... except in a stadium during a football game.

I wonder if Goodell thought through the consequences of what he said in terms of the upcoming football season.

You know, when, if, the season starts, I just want to watch football, not a protest. Goodell should have kept his mouth shut. I seriously doubt I am alone in that thinking.

If someone wants to protest something, they can do it anywhere on the planet ... except in a stadium during a football game.

How does kneeling hurt you ?

Gee, really, Roger is opposed to racism and police brutality. Wow! Who would have believed it?

However, like any good politician these days who are dealing with the protests, Goodell didn't say a damn thing.

Well, what did he say? Here are the important parts.

"We were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier" who were protesting police brutality. Oh, so that means the NFL was officially ignoring police brutality? I don't think so. Besides, this "brutality" involves a handful of bad cops, not the police in general.

In the roughly minute-and-a-half statement, Goodell did not mention Colin Kaepernick by name but he said the NFL will "encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest." Goodell said he would be "reaching out" to players who have "raised their voices."

What the hell does that mean? By encouraging players to speak out, is Goodell saying the NFL now endorses players taking a knee during the national anthem?

Of course not, Goodell didn't say that, but players can certainly infer that. That is what some players did, and Goodell seems to be approving the body language.

However, I doubt Goodell is approving such a gesture. So, in the end, essentially, Goodell didn't say a thing, and what little he did say was meaningless and is subject to harmful implications by the players.

What is the difference between a real person and a politician? A real person deals with the issues and answers questions directly.

A politician avoids the real issues and never answers questions directly. Instead, he/she pretends to answer by giving us B.S.

That is exactly what Goodell did with his short little speech.

This source helped with this report: "We were wrong," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says - CBS News
Goodell cares only about the bottom line. If Trump was re-elected and started up again with his dumbass “kneeling is disrespectful to our flag” crap, and the public agreed, Goodell would immediately do a 180, again.

Why does a simple, quiet sign of protest at a sporting event matter to you? Does it somehow detract from your ability to enjoy the game?

Whether Goodell or the NFL actually cares about Black Lives its important that they bend the knee. That is typically what happens when a society is conquered. Goodell and the NFL's statement is a recognition that they have lost the culture war.

If you have to ask, you clearly do not understand the issues involved and I am not going to waste my time explaining the obvious to you.

Then I accept your concession

Goodell cares only about the bottom line. If Trump was re-elected and started up again with his dumbass “kneeling is disrespectful to our flag” crap, and the public agreed, Goodell would immediately do a 180, again.

Oh, yes, he is a politician first and an administer second, but I am concerned about how players will react to his message.

That could be interpreted to mean he endorsed kneeling during the anthem, a "peaceful protest."

Oh, yes, he is a politician first and an administer second, but I am concerned about how players will react to his message.

That could be interpreted to mean he endorsed kneeling during the anthem, a "peaceful protest."

Let's hope so

And the kneeling is a problem, why?

Why does a simple, quiet sign of protest at a sporting event matter to you? Does it somehow detract from your ability to enjoy the game?

Kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to our flag and our country. The players don't kneel and pray before the anthem. They don't kneel and pray after the anthem.

They kneel during the anthem. They know they are showing disrespect for the flag. That is the entire idea.

I am a Marine and I volunteered to fight for my country during a war (Vietnam). Respect for our country and the flag it represents is vitally important to millions of people just like me.

Kaepernick knew that. That is why he started the disrespectful gesture.

Kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to our flag and our country. The players don't kneel and pray before the anthem. They don't kneel and pray after the anthem.

They kneel during the anthem. They know they are showing disrespect for the flag. That is the entire idea.

I am a Marine and I volunteered to fight for my country during a war (Vietnam). Respect for our country and the flag it represents is vitally important to millions of people just like me.

Kaepernick knew that. That is why he started the disrespectful gesture.
Respectfully, because you believe it is disrespectful does not make it disrespectful. It is your opinion, only.

I’m a career Navy man, and I very strongly believe in the Constitution I swore to support and defend when I first enlisted, and reaffirmed several more times throughout my career. That includes supporting and defending the 1st amendment rights of others to kneel during the playing of our national anthem (which I personally do not find disrespectful to our national flag or our country), or even the public burning of our national flag (which I personally do find disrespectful to our nation).

In the immortal words of Voltaire, “I wholly disapprove of what you say—and will defend to the death your right to say it.”

Respectfully, because you believe it is disrespectful does not make it disrespectful. It is your opinion, only.

I’m a career Navy man, and I very strongly believe in the Constitution I swore to support and defend when I first enlisted, and reaffirmed several more times throughout my career. That includes supporting and defending the 1st amendment rights of others to kneel during the playing of our national anthem (which I personally do not find disrespectful to our national flag or our country), or even the public burning of our national flag (which I personally do find disrespectful to our nation).

In the immortal words of Voltaire, “I wholly disapprove of what you say—and will defend to the death your right to say it.”

Then please explain why an NFL quarterback chose this gesture at a football game.

You may think it is okay for pro football players to kneel during the anthem before a game, but Kaepernick knew he would get a reaction.

And he did.

I just thought of something. Do you follow pro football? Do you watch the games? I think not.

Or, the next time you tune in a on a big game, if you do, you are saying it is okay to watch a protest.

I disagree. I want to watch football.

But, then, it may not matter to you because you simply don't care about watching pro football.

Your respect for the flag is part time. It's okay to protest during the celebration of our flag, but it is not okay to burn it.

You were in the navy. That explains it.

Last edited:
I want to watch football.
The kneeling happens before the game begins, so you’re not missing anything. If you don’t want to see players kneeling, don’t watch when they do. Get a snack, make a head call, or do something else during that part in order to protect your fragile feelings.

Your respect for the flag is part time.
My respect is for what our national flag represents, not the flag itself. If you were a full time supporter of our Constitution, you’d understand that.

Recently, I had a discussion with another veteran who believes that veterans should never insult anyone else’s service. Out of respect for his belief, I won’t retaliate in kind, but I will remind you that the Marine Corps is part of the Navy. ;)

Then please explain why an NFL quarterback chose this gesture at a football game.

You may think it is okay for pro football players to kneel during the anthem before a game, but Kaepernick knew he would get a reaction.

And he did.

I just thought of something. Do you follow pro football? Do you watch the games? I think not.

Or, the next time you tune in a on a big game, if you do, you are saying it is okay to watch a protest.

I disagree. I want to watch football.

But, then, it may not matter to you because you simply don't care about watching pro football.

Your respect for the flag is part time. It's okay to protest during the celebration of our flag, but it is not okay to burn it.

The game is played exactly the same.

Recently, I had a discussion with another veteran who believes that veterans should never insult anyone else’s service. Out of respect for his belief, I won’t retaliate in kind, but I will remind you that the Marine Corps is part of the Navy. ;)

We try not to think about that.:cool:

The kneeling happens before the game begins

You left out something. The kneeling happens before the game during the national anthem.

That. my navy friend, is the entire point.

My respect is for what our national flag represents, not the flag itself.

That is double talk. The flag represents our country. It is why you opposed burning it.

You left out something. The kneeling happens before the game during the national anthem.

That. my navy friend, is the entire point.
That the kneeling occurs during the national anthem has already been established. There’s no reason restate that with each post.

That the kneeling offends you enough to want kneeling banned speaks to your conditional support of our Constitution.

That is double talk. The flag represents our country. It is why you opposed burning it.
Nonsense. There’s no double talk involved. Because I’m not offended by the kneeling doesn’t preclude me from disapproving when anyone burns our national flag.

In both cases though, I support the rights of those who kneel and those who burn our national flag.

Of course, we all do. That is hardly the point.
Again, you only speak for you.

It sure looks "BLM" is getting plenty of support to me. It's good to see the statues of all of those Confederate traitors coming down.

And there is finally progress being made about the idiot "warrior" cop culture that has plagued this country for too long.

It sure looks "BLM" is getting plenty of support to me. It's good to see the statues of all of those Confederate traitors coming down.

And there is finally progress being made about the idiot "warrior" cop culture that has plagued this country for too long.

Fine, just so long as they stay away from my football games. I am really tired of this, and, when the time comes -- if it does -- I just want to watch football, not those damn protests.

Enough already!

Fine, just so long as they stay away from my football games. I am really tired of this, and, when the time comes -- if it does -- I just want to watch football, not those damn protests.

Enough already!

Oh no....peaceful quiet kneeling.....the horror!!!

Back
Top Bottom