• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The next Trump? Could be Florida's Desantis....

Subieguy

Todays GOP: wrong on EVERYTHING!!!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Well gee, just what I don't care for, a possible Trump #2. The last thing our great country needs IMO.

I think he's the odds-on favorite to be the next president," if Trump doesn't run again, said Joe Gruters, a Florida state senator and chairman of the state Republican Party.

In a CPAC poll, he finished number 2 to Trump:

At last month's Conservative Political Action Conference for hardcore GOP activists, he finished second to Trump in one presidential straw poll and first in another from which the former president was excluded. A recent survey by Tony Fabrizio, Trump's chief pollster in 2016 and 2020, showed DeSantis and several others competing for second place in a field led by the former president and showed the governor tied with former Vice President Mike Pence as the second choice among Trump's supporters. Rubio and Scott both ranked near the bottom.

"When you look under the hood of those numbers, DeSantis garners a lot of support from Trump voters in the absence of Trump," Fabrizio said. "As the media beat him up as the anti-Cuomo and DeSantis stood up for himself, voters liked that. They associate that type of scrappiness and speaking your mind with President Trump. He is inheriting a lot of that."

Not everything is positive for him though:

DeSantis' big primary victory and handling of the pandemic have earned the party faithful's embrace, Caldwell added. This week, the governor convened a panel of science and medical professionals — including Dr. Scott Atlas, a former pandemic adviser to Trump — who share his opposition to mandates and lockdowns. Democrats plan to make Covid-19 central in next year's race for governor. They point to his vaccine distribution program, which critics say has favored wealthy donors. They also note more than 32,000 coronavirus deaths and characterize DeSantis as someone who coldly obsesses over comparative data that makes Florida look better than other states.

"His arrogance and complete detachment from the pain and suffering of our communities is very telling of someone that is in this position to advance his political ambitions, and it's obvious because they're already discussing 2024," said Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, a former congresswoman from South Florida and one of the leaders of the Ron Be Gone effort.

Trump's heir to the White House?

I think DeSantis is likely a front runner. He's got an impressive background, which I've established simply from Wikipedia. Honestly, I was almost a bit surprised to read about his background because he doesn't come off as polished as I might expect after reading about his background and accomplishments.
So far, he's my favorite. I don't think he's much like Trump. He's got a very different personality and style. I'd hope he might share some of Trump's policies and agenda because I loved Trump policy.
Anyway, far, far too early to predict who will be the GOP nominee in 24, but I'd be delighted to see it be DeSantis from what I know now.

Back
Top Bottom