• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The new SMART Smartphone

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I personally will never have one of these.

The Moto X, the new smartphone from Google’s Motorola Mobility, might be remembered best someday for helping to usher in the era of ubiquitous listening.

Unlike earlier phones, the Moto X includes two low-power chips whose only function is to process data from a microphone and other sensors—without tapping the main processor and draining the battery. This is a big endorsement of the idea that phones could serve you better if they did more to figure out what is going on (see “Motorola Reveals First Google-Era Phone”). For instance, you might say “OK Google Now” to activate Google’s intelligent assistant software, rather than having to first tap the screen or press buttons to get an audio-processing function up and running.

This brings us closer to having phones that continually monitor their auditory environment to detect the phone owner’s voice, discern what room or other setting the phone is in, or pick up other clues from background noise. Such capacities make it possible for software to detect your moods, know when you are talking and not to disturb you, and perhaps someday keep a running record of everything you hear.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/517801/the-era-of-ubiquitous-listening-dawns/

The Moto X, the new smartphone from Google’s Motorola Mobility, might be remembered best someday for helping to usher in the era of ubiquitous listening.

Unlike earlier phones, the Moto X includes two low-power chips whose only function is to process data from a microphone and other sensors—without tapping the main processor and draining the battery. This is a big endorsement of the idea that phones could serve you better if they did more to figure out what is going on (see “Motorola Reveals First Google-Era Phone”). For instance, you might say “OK Google Now” to activate Google’s intelligent assistant software, rather than having to first tap the screen or press buttons to get an audio-processing function up and running.

This brings us closer to having phones that continually monitor their auditory environment to detect the phone owner’s voice, discern what room or other setting the phone is in, or pick up other clues from background noise. Such capacities make it possible for software to detect your moods, know when you are talking and not to disturb you, and perhaps someday keep a running record of everything you hear.

Moto X and Other Smartphones Are Set to Listen to Their Environments All the Time | MIT Technology Review

I feel even better now about my plan to go back to a dumb phone when the contract is up in December.

I feel even better now about my plan to go back to a dumb phone when the contract is up in December.

I still have a dumb phone, but the concern is whether or not they will become obsolete and one day a Moto X type phone is all that's available.

This is the future we are heading for, it's inevitable.

Is that like saying the future we are headed for is absent the bill of rights.

I still have a dumb phone, but the concern is whether or not they will become obsolete and one day a Moto X type phone is all that's available.

I'm not married to the concept of cell phones. I can put mine in the trash and not really miss it.

Moto X and Other Smartphones Are Set to Listen to Their Environments All the Time | MIT Technology Review

In reading the description I can't help but think "pocket wife".

This won't end well. You'll have to argue with your phone, buy it apps, explain why you haven't used it in the last 10 minutes, etc.

Nope, no good at all.

I'm not married to the concept of cell phones. I can put mine in the trash and not really miss it.

I feel the same way but my wife and daughter in college are outraged by such threats. But I will not own a phone with a perpetually hot mic.

In reading the description I can't help but think "pocket wife".

This won't end well. You'll have to argue with your phone, buy it apps, explain why you haven't used it in the last 10 minutes, etc.

Nope, no good at all.
lol, hadn't thought about that. Another reason to not like them.

Back
Top Bottom