• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The New Name for the Czech Republic

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

APR 15, 2016

lead_large.jpg

Leaders of the Czech Republic think their country’s name is just too long and clunky. Instead, they say, call it Czechia. Going by a shortened name is a familiar practice around world. The Italian Republic is most commonly known as Italy, just as the French Republic is shortened to France. The long “Czech Republic” name has been a headache for sports teams and marketing campaigns. The hockey team even displays the adjective “Czech” on the front of its jerseys, which would be as odd as the U.S. Olympic team displaying “American” on the front of its jerseys.

The Czech Republic was formed after Czechoslovakia split up in 1993, four years after the communist regime collapsed following the Velvet Revolution. Slovakia—fittingly and officially known as the Slovak Republic—was formed at the same time. More than two decades later, that country’s neighbor will finally be known as Czechia.

Czechia sounds a lot like Chechnya, but if it makes Czech's happy then go for it :)

So when they get tossed-out of a bar, can we still refer to them as 'a bounced czech'? :lamo

If they really wanted to shorten it they could have just called themselves Che or something...

So when they get tossed-out of a bar, can we still refer to them as 'a bounced czech'? :lamo[/QUOTE

Greetings, Chomsky. :2wave:

*groan* :lamo: :thumbs:

So when they get tossed-out of a bar, can we still refer to them as 'a bounced czech'? :lamo

Right, and no business will be able to have a sign, "no czechs."

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night
Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul
Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

If the people like it better that way, let them change it.

Right, and no business will be able to have a sign, "no czechs."

If the people like it better that way, let them change it.

Before it was Constantinople, it was Byzantium.
I don't think "people" liked it that way though, their rulers did tho.

Czech Repub should change their name back to Bohemia.
Would be cooler and more historical.

Very cool. I've an idea for their national anthem...

Simpleχity;1065775091 said:

Czechia sounds a lot like Chechnya, but if it makes Czech's happy then go for it :)

Yesterday morning I read about this, and at lunch I asked my friend whose husband is so active in our state's Czech heritage society how to pronounce "Czechia," and she hadn't even heard about the new name. I was really surprised and intended to send her the link. Am going to now because if DP is talking about it, this isn't just a news blip.

It would piss off the Moravians - not gonna happen.

or is an abortion in the Prague a "cancelled czech"?

As long as they keep brewing great pilsner, they can call themselves whatever they want.

Back
Top Bottom