• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Need for Regulation: Fighting the Obesity Epidemic

What do you think we should do about the Obesity Epidemic?

• Total voters
I often side on government staying out of matter's such as what we eat, and at this current juncture I think they should remain idle. However, if this problem continues to grow I think the best course of action may be a sin tax. Obesity is more dangerous than Tobacco, and we implement a sin tax on tobacco so why would it be wrong to do the same for food that is high in sugar? The amount of Money America doles out due Obesity is ridiculous, so why can't this be used for justification of such a regulation?

Well don't look at me, I'm doing my part to fight obesity. I lost 33 pounds in three months on the Atkins diet. Buffin' up, baby. :)

My neighbor's weight problem is HIS problem.

The amount of Money America doles out due Obesity is ridiculous, so why can't this be used for justification of such a regulation?

I've heard many times on this board that consumer spending is desirable because it drives the economy. If that's the case, why is consumer spending on medical care undesirable?

Well don't look at me, I'm doing my part to fight obesity. I lost 33 pounds in three months on the Atkins diet. Buffin' up, baby. :)

My neighbor's weight problem is HIS problem.

Not in libtard entitlement land. Every problem is now a "village" problem, that affects us all. It is "we" who bear the medical care expense for "that fat guy" now, not just him anymore, personal responsibility is "SO last century". Once you, or anyone, are a state cost then you become a state concern, since they have no plan to prevent only the fat folks getting gov't "help" from buying large containers of soda pop, they must stop ALL from doing so "to be fair".

I often side on government staying out of matter's such as what we eat, and at this current juncture I think they should remain idle. However, if this problem continues to grow I think the best course of action may be a sin tax. Obesity is more dangerous than Tobacco, and we implement a sin tax on tobacco so why would it be wrong to do the same for food that is high in sugar? The amount of Money America doles out due Obesity is ridiculous, so why can't this be used for justification of such a regulation?

So the same gov't that is subsidizing high fructose corn syrup is now going to impose a tax on it? Perhaps taxing OBESITY directly is the best way to discourage it. All of the libtard nanny state desire to control things seem to "target" the entire population in HOPES of "helping stop a problem" with some minority within it, out of "fairness". A very simple thing would be to allow medical insurance companies and medical service providers to charge a "fat tax" by raising fees for treatment of the obese. Why should a fit and trim, construction worker pay more for soda pop?

For starters, eliminate the subsidies on corn. Do that and high fructose corn syrup will become more expensive, which will encourage people to buy less of it. This results in a healthier society and less government spending.

So dems. think they should have the right to choose to murder their child but not to eat a cheeseburger? somebody explain this to me!

two wrongs dont make a right

Two Wongs don't make a Wright either. :mrgreen:

Two_7afdbc_2956997.jpg

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. :)

I still feel strongly that we need to take drastic measures on the obesity epidemic to curtail the loss of life, increased costs of health/medical care, and increased taxes. It's wrong how food corporations try to brainwash our young children when they're innocent and impressionable.

I've been checking and reading books on this issue. I don't have my notes with me at the moment but there are so many things we don't understand about the foods we eat. Monosodium glutamate iirc is literally the chemical used to stoke food addictions; you can add it to anything and it enhances both flavor and texture. Adding it to ice cream makes it taste creamier, etc, etc. During World War 2 the soldiers had been complaining about their military rations. They had tried the military rations of the Japanese and loved them so much [since it tasted like actual & delicious food] that the budding food industries took notice. Apparently the Japanese had been using MSG in their foods. One of the downsides I've read is that it supposedly makes you dumber, like high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). But back to my main point, MSG is made to stoke your desire to eat that food over and over again. Literally, MSG is called an "excitotoxin."

Having pored through those books, I was both shocked and surprised with how all of this processed/refined/altered foods wreak havoc with our bodies in certain ways. In a bit I'll be sourcing some cited excerpts from the books I've read.

In a nutshell just knowing 2/3 of all American adults are obese tells me that we need to combat this problem now, because obviously what we're doing now isn't working. If you're a conservative you can't just be selfish and say "I'm going to take care of myself but **** everyone else. Here fatty, have some doughnuts while I don't care about your future health." No, a nation is comprised of its people. A nation's health is comprised of the health of its denizens. This problem needs to be reigned under control before it is too late. It's already bad enough as it is, and I don't want my children to be influenced at a young age by these charlatans while they're innocent.

LEAVE ME AND MY FAT ASS ALONE!! Ok. I'm not fat. I am amazed at the number of people who are. I wonder how they wipe their butts, seriously! You know they can't reach! Leave them alone! Why is everyone so freaking happy to give away choices in how they live their lives. It comes down to taking care of your own, however you see fit. If you're fat and don't like it, there are drugs, medical procedures, and behavior modification. If you're fat and like it, more power to you. Everyone, especially government, needs to clean their own house before trying to clean mine.

LEAVE ME AND MY FAT ASS ALONE!! Ok. I'm not fat. I am amazed at the number of people who are. I wonder how they wipe their butts, seriously! You know they can't reach! Leave them alone! Why is everyone so freaking happy to give away choices in how they live their lives. It comes down to taking care of your own, however you see fit. If you're fat and don't like it, there are drugs, medical procedures, and behavior modification. If you're fat and like it, more power to you. Everyone, especially government, needs to clean their own house before trying to clean mine.

Obviously what we're all doing now isn't working.

Everyone has ignored a very important question I imposed earlier. That speaks for itself.

What would your thoughts be if you woke one day and 80-90% of all American adults were obese?

I would enjoy a Big Mac in their honor and then go running! Seriously, we could 'what if' all night if we wanted. All I am saying is worry about yourself and your family. Make sure they are the healthiest and happiest they can be.

"Obviously what we're all doing now isn't working." In my opinion, life is a series of 'butterfly effects'. What effect has, say, welfare had on obesity? The idea that I can have babies and have them paid for is tempting (not), but would do nothing to help my self-esteem and I would probably eat and not exercise, too. What else would I have to do all day?

People need to be responsible for themselves, even if they make 'bad' choices. If they are told what is allowed or not allowed, they probably aren't going to listen! I know I don't!:2razz:

Last edited:
I would enjoy a Big Mac in their honor and then go running! Seriously, we could 'what if' all night if we wanted. All I am saying is worry about yourself and your family. Make sure they are the healthiest and happiest they can be.

"Obviously what we're all doing now isn't working." In my opinion, life is a series of 'butterfly effects'. What effect has, say, welfare had on obesity? The idea that I can have babies and have them paid for is tempting (not), but would do nothing to help my self-esteem and I would probably eat and not exercise, too. What else would I have to do all day?

It's not just about the individual in this situation. To recapitulate a nation is comprised of all of its citizens. When the numbers rise and 2/3 of every adult is obese and 1/4 of every child is obese, there must be some sort of response. You cannot just cup your hands over your ears and do nothing while our economy worsens and our mortality rates rise because of this brainwashing. America's been dumbed down, fattened up, and killed slowly with all of this manipulation of our food. 200 years ago we had plump fish caught in cold, pure springs. We ate little cheese, we drank natural milk that retained helpful bacteria, we cooked meat that was naturally fed, and pulled plump vegetables out of the ground. Now, whenever we eat meat like beef we run the risk of ingesting hormones that in turn react within our bodies. We eat chemicals from food colorings and preservatives that slowly take their toll on our bodies. The majority has become nothing more than a fat and hungry slave to the addictions placed upon us at the very beginning of food manipulation. It began with the refining of flour, and now we've seen a plethora of deathly chemicals pumped into our foods, set like bait for our children through any medium like television to grab our attention and get us hooked.

Welfare needs to be curtailed. You don't help the problem by giving money that is then used for deathly foods like Twinkies. No. In my mind all free food concepts like welfare and food stamps should only be used towards the healthful and natural necessities, like wheat, bran, fresh meat, cauliflower, etc. The money shouldn't be used towards pre-made foods or any other unhealthy food out there, whether it be salt, sugar, fat, or other deathly chemicals the majority are ignorant about. We need a revolution in our country. Not the kind of revolution you may think, but one focused on the eating of actually healthy and good foods, where horrific foods are regulated/taxed/curtailed. Even now I see a fat buffoon in front of me at the computer, doughnut in hand, sounding as though his heart will give out at any second based on his breathing.

Something needs to happen or something's going to give out.

First, I hope a comma inserted after "recapitulate" was implied. I agree completely about the horrors of genetically modified foods. For instance, can you even imagine the size of chickens Walmart uses? Have you seen the size of their chicken breasts?

I have no idea what you mean by "this brainwashing". Do you mean, government telling us genetically altered food is good for us? If so, I do not put any merit in what government says is good or bad for me. I believe in my own life experiences, and in what my grandparents told/taught me when I was growing up.

I do not understand why this is an issue for government - on the federal level. When the people have control over their environment (states rights), then this issue can be better discussed and better dealt with. I think people have become so fat because government got involved in the first place, going back to before the dust bowl. Government went around and left leaflets for farmers telling them it was ok to grow one crop season after season. It has snowballed since, and there is no government law, rule, regulation, that will MAKE people give a damn. You don't fix a crack with a bigger crack farther down the dike.

people should learn how to live eating less.......

Last edited:
(1) I agree completely about the horrors of genetically modified foods. For instance, can you even imagine the size of chickens Walmart uses? Have you seen the size of their chicken breasts?

(2) I have no idea what you mean by "this brainwashing". Do you mean, government telling us genetically altered food is good for us? If so, I do not put any merit in what government says is good or bad for me. I believe in my own life experiences, and in what my grandparents told/taught me when I was growing up.

(3) I do not understand why this is an issue for government - on the federal level. When the people have control over their environment (states rights), then this issue can be better discussed and better dealt with. I think people have become so fat because government got involved in the first place, going back to before the dust bowl. Government went around and left leaflets for farmers telling them it was ok to grow one crop season after season. It has snowballed since, and there is no government law, rule, regulation, that will MAKE people give a damn. You don't fix a crack with a bigger crack farther down the dike.

(1) There may be more meat in those chickens, but you're also ingesting hormones, among other latent chemicals and enhancers.

(2) As mentioned earlier, food corporations "brainwash" impressionable and innocent children through advertisements specifically designed to hook them while they're watching cartoons. It's not just little children that are taken advantage of, but preteens, teens, and adults as well. These corporations try to find the most effective methods in raking in customers, their be damned; it's all about the money. If you can addict your client base, well, that's one of the best things you can do to accrue money. It works for cocaine and other illegal drug suppliers, and the same concept holds true here. I don't know what your grandparents taught you, but clearly there are far more people in America who don't seem to know what you were taught. Iirc there have been certain groups like the CDC that discussed the dangers of sugar, but were essentially ignored by other parts of government; I'd have to get my notes. Simply put some parts of government have tried to educate the public, but they public is becoming so fat and incompetent that the majority, 2/3, have developed thick layers of fat cells around their ear canals.

(3) Well, if over $50 trillion dollars went towards the subsization of corn farming, to get high fructose corn syrup which has now been proven to make people dumber, I'd say we have a problem on that issue alone. Those people who squeal for individual rights don't give a damn about the obesity epidemic. They want the right to shove countless slices of pizza down their gullets. They don't care about how this puts a massive burden on healthcare, medical costs, insurance, etc. They don't care about the mortality rate. Hell, they simply don't care, because all that matters is that they have the right to feed. No, I want to fix that. What are you going to do when 90% of all adults are obese? Repeatedly that question has been ignored by others, and now you as well.

No, tax them. Tax the deathly foods like fried chicken. We tax alcohol and tobacco, so we can also tax the select already made foods like fried chicken and doughnuts. Did you know that this bad food dumbs people down? Why do you think it's such a struggle to enlighten people and solve this obesity problem when 2/3 of the entire nation are obese? If we use sin taxes, regulate the bad foods, get those damned foods out of systems like wealthfare, create a BMI, and maybe reward/benefit those that give a damn about their health, our nation would be so much better off. Why do you think European nations seem so much healthier and fit than Americans? It's because their governments said enough was ******* enough and have taken steps to solve the problem.

Obviously what we're all doing now isn't working.

Everyone has ignored a very important question I imposed earlier. That speaks for itself.

What would your thoughts be if you woke one day and 80-90% of all American adults were obese?

As a human being my first thoughts would be "WTF!!!"
As a resturant owner I'll expect to have a VERY busy and prosperous day.
Seems there's going to be a an hour or two wait for tables that night.
I'm sure the waitstaff will be looking foreward for better tips for a few years,before the inevitable famine hits.
I've been a "doomsday prepper" for years,so my family and I are well prepared for it.

I agree that obesity is a huge problem,but I don't quite know or understand what should or can be done about it.

None of my waitstaff forces Mr. and Mrs Fatbutt and their Fatbutt kids over at table #10 to order another slice of Peach Bread Pudding or Chocolate Beyond Reason.
And It's not like I'm not offering healthy dishes.I always include 2 vegetarian/vegan dishes on the daily chef's specials.I can't force people to order the Eggplant Napolean.
Feeding people is how I make a living to be able to feed my own family.So I can give ny daughters a good educartion.
I tried smaller potions a few years back (I was shocked at the level of food being tossed away by my customers) but they were the ones who raised the biggest stink about it.

If I raise my prices on my dishes (especially desserts) because of a tax on sugar or corn syrup used to combat obesity(which comprise 23% of my profit),I lose customers,which means I have to cut labor to stay in operation.And you'd be suprised on just how much stuff contains corn syrup.And I buy most of my produce and ingredients from local sources.Food costs are high enough as it is,especially with fuel prices.

people should be learned how to live eating less.......

Exactly. In the very distant past people would eat when actually hungry. They would sit down and share a meal with their loved ones. Nowadays people eat because they're depressed. or they want excitement, or for any other conceivable reason not related to actual, natural hunger. You've been taught to love the stimulation of a crinkly wrapper containing crunchy and salty chips. You've been conditioned to crave those unhealthy sensations again and again and again.

Tomorrow there's this one excerpt I want to share about food. It revolves arounf the Allied forces and the Danish people, and how they had to conserve grain and return temporarily to a more traditional, healthy way of eating. In a nutshell their mortality rates dropped significantly. I would love to see that happen again.

Exactly. In the very distant past people would eat when actually hungry. They would sit down and share a meal with their loved ones. Nowadays people eat because they're depressed. or they want excitement, or for any other conceivable reason not related to actual, natural hunger. You've been taught to love the stimulation of a crinkly wrapper containing crunchy and salty chips. You've been conditioned to crave those unhealthy sensations again and again and again.

Tomorrow there's this one excerpt I want to share about food. It revolves arounf the Allied forces and the Danish people, and how they had to conserve grain and return temporarily to a more traditional, healthy way of eating. In a nutshell their mortality rates dropped significantly. I would love to see that happen again.

if ı speak for myself ,İ gave up eating chips ,hamburgers ,fast food and now just have lots of herbs green ,vegetables fish

Wake-

I feel like you totally missed my point.

1. Walmart chicken is BAD! We actually are arguing over something we both agree on!!

2. The parents of those brain-dead and fat kids are at fault. Why the hell are they allowing their kids to watch those impressionable commercials (have they never heard of DVR?) I don't care what their kids watch, or how little control they have over those same kids. I take care of myself and my family. Period. I am not so egotistic as to assume or try to assume control for their kids. I don't care about corporations or attempting to addict kids (who, as far as I know, have to rely on their worthless parents to go get the 6000 calorie kids meal, or whatever). Why do you insist on blaming others as opposed to the one who actually buys the food? Corporations are to make money. Period. Just because they offer it, doesn't mean I have to buy into it. Do you not know that Sears Robuck catalogs actually used to sell opiate 'tonics'? People either bought it or they didn't.

I learned common sense the same way you did, through trial and error. All people, given the chance, will learn as we did. They will either sink or swim. I refer to this idea as 'natural selection'. (By 'given the chance', I mean allowing them to be responsible for their own decisions, or lack of decisions.) I think our whole discussion comes down to government 'making' us do what is right for us (at least, until their lobbies pay them to tell us differently), and people being responsible for themselves.

I have a question for you, Wake. How much do you believe of what you are told by the government, CDC, Dept. of Justice, etc? I mean this as a respectful and serious question.

"Those people who squeal for individual rights don't give a damn about the obesity epidemic." I am obviously one of those people.

Who was it that subsidized corn farming? And then started putting that crap in our gas tanks, as ethenol? Do you think the subsidizing was actually started to hurt people? I don't. I think there were intentions of tweaking our gasoline all along. Proof? Nope. Just my thinking.

Are these 'death foods' not already taxed? People will not be enlightened and the fatties will not change by the government. We can't really judge much off European nations right now. They are starving. Except for the Germans. Had some Germans come visit and they could have skipped a few meals, if you know what I mean!

I respect your devotion to your countrymen, and your obvious passion about life. I just wonder if there is something about this issue that is personal to you? The reward should be in the act itself (of keeping one's body healthy), I doubt very much there is any incentive strong enough, or any stick thick enough, to make people change without them wanting to.

If we are going to start talking about things like taxing food,why don"t start taxing other things that contribute to obesity.
For example,how many hours have some of you here spent in front of your computer screen instead of EXERCISNG?How may hours have some of you lard butts logged playing Diablo 3 or World of Warcraft instead of jogging?Shouldn't those be taxed also,all in the name of "fighting obesity"?

I live in an area that has a large evangelical christian population,But to look at them,you'd think that gluttony was no longer a sin.
Why there's Mrs.Mitchel the church organist sitting over at table 3 every Sunday after services..Such a devout and pious christian.All 300 pounds of her ordering her second slice of peach cobbler.
And here comes Deacon Johnston.What!!!He wants another basket of rolls?How's his 12 oz ribeye steak and potatos coming along?
And here comes the Alvaster family.So devout.Only 3 of them and they take up the entire first pew.How's your diabetes, Mrs.Alvaster?
And lil Josiah,boy you've gotten big.12 years old and weighs more than I do.Praise Jesus and pass some more of that Dutch Apple Pie.
Maybe if Christians were less concerned about gays using the word "marriage",and more concerned with how much food they shove into their freekin mouths,maybe there wouldn't be such an "obesity problem" in this country.

How many of you take a car for a trip that would last a hour on foot?And make a pitstop at some Burger King drive through along the way?The Mitchels love to eat at my resturant.They drive a whole 3 blocks from their house (instead of walking) whenever they make a reservation.Shouldn't we be putting an obesity tax an all car rides less than a mile that not involving transporting bulky items?

This is a nation who's idea of excerise is Kinect.

Back
Top Bottom