• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Navy's lack of shipyard capacity

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This problem has been developing over a couple of decades, and of course nothing was ever done to fix the problem because our intelligentsia fails at almost everything now generally, and Washington now functions almost not at all specifically, and even more specifically our officer corps at the very bloated Pentagon suck ass now.....just look for instance how they for so long refused to tell the truth about Afghanistan.....when after the disaster of Nam they promised the nation up and down "NEVER AGAIN!".

Is there any way out of this mess at this late date?

China is coming for us.

RAPIDLY!

The US Needs a New Public Shipyard - Defense One

Last edited:
We have over the last few years few times had either one or zero carriers available for duty...

I mean **** me.....that is not going to work....THE NEW CHINESE EMPIRE manages much better!

We have over the last few years few times had either one or zero carriers available for duty...

I mean **** me.....that is not going to work....THE NEW CHINESE EMPIRE manages much better!

It is going to get a lot worse in the not too distant future. We don't even keep some of the most vital parts "at the ready" these days.

The 4 remaining "working" public naval shipyards are basically kept in a run down appearance, and lacking space for the "prefabbed" hull type construction that we use today.

I remember coming out of the Hampton Roads tunnel one afternoon back in 2102 and seeing all the carriers in port. I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I drove on base through gate 4, and went over to the piers. Sure enough, just about every jet carrier, and large "ampib" helo carriers, were tied up.

aircraft_carriers_large.jpg

Here we are in 2019 and it's still going on. The DOD is constantly spinning the situation.

Most U.S. aircraft carriers sit idle in Virginia ports - Virginia Mercury

It is going to get a lot worse in the not too distant future. We don't even keep some of the most vital parts "at the ready" these days.

The 4 remaining "working" public naval shipyards are basically kept in a run down appearance, and lacking space for the "prefabbed" hull type construction that we use today.

I remember coming out of the Hampton Roads tunnel one afternoon back in 2102 and seeing all the carriers in port. I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I drove on base through gate 4, and went over to the piers. Sure enough, just about every jet carrier, and large "ampib" helo carriers, were tied up.

View attachment 67273043

Here we are in 2019 and it's still going on. The DOD is constantly spinning the situation.

And notice how almost no one can be found to care.....

We are so screwed....this is how nations die.

PS Paglia talks a lot about how most of our biggest problems could be seen developing a million miles away (AKA over decades), yet a great many of them never got much attention at all, almost no one could be found to care. I say that this is proof that people have over time gotten thinner....worse.....not better than their ancestors as they imagine.....which they can only get away with because they tend to be ignorant clods, regardless of the number of hours that they spent in a classroom.

This here is one very telling focal point, even with something as important as this America in this day and age could not manage.

The grandkids kids might wanna learn Mandarin.....

Last edited:

View attachment 67273043

Is this due to lack of funds?

article says 9/10 deliver on time. and no additional resources are necessary.....so.......

I remember a couple guys I knew from boot got lucky enough to be stationed on the USS George Washington. Just commissioned and still in training. They spent their first 2 years in the fleet not doing a damn thing but partying at VB every night... lucky bastards...

Helluva sight it was at night in the fog to see though...took on an almost mystical quality.

This problem has been developing over a couple of decades, and of course nothing was ever done to fix the problem because our intelligentsia fails at almost everything now generally, and Washington now functions almost not at all specifically, and even more specifically our officer corps at the very bloated Pentagon suck ass now.....just look for instance how they for so long refused to tell the truth about Afghanistan.....when after the disaster of Nam they promised the nation up and down "NEVER AGAIN!".

Is there any way out of this mess at this late date?

China is coming for us.

RAPIDLY!

The US Needs a New Public Shipyard - Defense One

The Pentagon honchos have $ to hide, lies to tell and truth to suppress. They DO NOT have time for legitimate concerns to the security of the nation. They are looking for jobs with the MSM as talking heads supporting the status quo.

Seems to me I read somewhere we were keeping the Lincoln parked in Japan and rotating crews by air because it was cheaper than bringing the boat back to turn over.

The Pentagon honchos have $ to hide, lies to tell and truth to suppress. They DO NOT have time for legitimate concerns to the security of the nation. They are looking for jobs with the MSM as talking heads supporting the status quo.

And then there is Congress, which is supposed to be doing oversight and looking for the solutions to our most important problems.

But then again that Mother****er McCain was the #1 military steward in Congress for a lot of years, so you know.....

What we have now is what deeply corrupt failed leadership brings.

THIS IS GOING TO HURT!

And then there is Congress, which is supposed to be doing oversight and looking for the solutions to our most important problems.

But then again that Mother****er McCain was the #1 military steward in Congress for a lot of years, so you know.....

What we have now is what deeply corrupt failed leadership brings.

THIS IS GOING TO HURT!

Considering that McCain's old man was in on the attack on the USS Liberty, I'm not surprised at all. The domestic enemies of the US Constitution are far more virulent than the foreign enemies.

Considering that McCain's old man was in on the attack on the USS Liberty, I'm not surprised at all. The domestic enemies of the US Constitution are far more virulent than the foreign enemies.

Please demonstrate how he was "in on" the attack on the USS Liberty.

Seems to me I read somewhere we were keeping the Lincoln parked in Japan and rotating crews by air because it was cheaper than bringing the boat back to turn over.
It wasnt the Lincoln. She has not been stationed in Japan. She just broke the record for an aircraft carrier deployment (that she held before that while I was stationed on her) last month during her trip from Norfolk to San Diego to change homeports.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure John Sydney McCain Jr. never flew for the Israeli Air Force or was a member of the Israeli Navy.

In fact during the attack on the Liberty he was assigned to the USN's Pacific command. Of course technically Liberty was assigned to the Pacific though it was in the Med at the time of the attack. Which is emblematic of the command and control issues that helped lead to the Israeli attack on the Liberty.

Inform yourself Maus. Read a book by a man who was on the boat.

McCain and Lyndon Johnson were 2 of the honchos that ordered the F-4s sent to defend the Liberty to return to their ship. They did.

Inform yourself Maus. Read a book by a man who was on the boat.

McCain and Lyndon Johnson were 2 of the honchos that ordered the F-4s sent to defend the Liberty to return to their ship. They did.

The F-4s from the carrier had no chance of arriving at the Liberty while the attack was still underway. I've run the numbers back and forth on that.

All the sailors aboard the Liberty that were killed died either in the initial straffing/bombing attack or from the single torpedo the Israelis launched that hit it.

TRANSLATION : They had zero to do with the attack.

It's likely they had prior knowledge of some sort. Why else would they turn the jets back?

I would ask you the logic of that claim and/or evidence but we both know neither would be forthcoming.

As you have failed to understand so much logic in the past, the odds of your understanding that now are very low.

Is this due to lack of funds?

More the idiocy of the 1993-1995 BRAC.

Those base closures closed 2 of the major shipyards on the West Coast (Mare Island and Long Beach), and put a huge strain on the remaining shipyards.

I for one have never agreed with closing and selling off our major military facilities. We should do what we did in the past, mothball them. Go ahead and close them down, and leave a caretaker organization in place for 10-20 years. That gives the branch that owns it time to adapt to the loss of that base, and see if the closure needs to be reconsidered.

Many of us saw those 2 rounds of base closures as rushed, and idiotic. It was to much, to fast, and all of the bases were closed and almost immediately sold off. And now we are paying for it, just as many predicted when it happened.

1993 Base Realignment and Closure Commission - Wikipedia

1995 Base Realignment and Closure Commission - Wikipedia

And most amazingly, the closure of Long Beach is still affecting us in other ways. It was the only base in the country that actually made a profit (it did a lot of maintenance and upgrades for naval ships owned by other countries), and it turned the Seal Beach Weapon Station into a "White Elephant" even 25 years later. That base was there to hold ammo for ships that went to Long Beach for maintenance, and some idiots even tried to put it on the BRAC list.

But the problem it, it is also a National Wildlife Refuge. So the Navy still owns it, but the base really does not have a mission anymore. Almost all of the civilian workforce was fired a quarter of a century ago, and a small caretaker group still maintains it. There are a few Reserve units there, but that is about it. 80% of the base is abandoned and useless, doing nothing because the Navy is forced to take care of it, because they can do nothing else with the land.

Last edited:
Called it. Stereotypical CT response.

And typical of the CT mindset.

They have this uncontrollable impulse to try and inject their conspiracy theories into any topic they can. Even if it has nothing to do with it.

I consider the belief in Conspiracy Theories to be about the only mental disorder that is contagious. And those afflicted with it try as hard as they can to inflict it upon others, in order to spread the number of those who have it as much as they can.

Back
Top Bottom