• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The nature of the response depends on the nature of the use.”

Simple really.
A strong response instead of a weak indecisive response.
CSM:

When the tactical nuclear, battlefield-weapon mushroom clouds appear in Europe, what then? Escalate until the multi-megaton, city-buster mushroom clouds appear over the ruins of European and Americam cities too? I don't think it's that simple at all.

A strong but measured response is what President Biden and his advisors are delivering to date and it is hamstringing that large part of the regular Russian Army which has been deployed to invade Ukraine. The Russians are quietly calling up reserves now because the US/European-supplied Ukrainian resistance is killing/wounding Russian troops in droves and is destroying Russian helicopters, armour and transports in very large numbers. Russian logistics are in disarray. Russians are running low on conventional ammo stocks for many war apron systems. The Russian economy is spiraling into recession and soon into depression due to the economic warfare Biden has unleashed upon Russia. To get more deeply involved means direct conflict with Russia which both plays into Putin's hands and also risks spiralling escalation to the kind of war no one who is sane wants to see. Remember Russia has more nuclear weapons than the USA, the UK, France China and Israel combined.

Be well and stay alive.
Evilroddy.

He did. This was last year.

Strong economic measures as in sanctions. How’d that work out? Did Putin not invade Ukraine?

I prefer a tepid response to challenging a cornered mad dog with enough nuclear weapons to destroy life as we know it on this planet.

By the way, all of President Biden's weak responses have been followed through. How would you say Russia is doing these days. Do you seriously want American troops in a fight in Europe?
Unfortunately it’s come to this point due to Biden’s weak response as Putin massed troops on Ukraine borders. This is what weakness leads to.

Oh. The reporter asked if NATO would respond militarily and he said yes. So I thought he meant militarily.
Only if Russia invaded a nato country not if they use WMD in Ukraine.

CSM:

When the tactical nuclear, battlefield-weapon mushroom clouds appear in Europe, what then? Escalate until the multi-megaton, city-buster mushroom clouds appear over the ruins of European and Americam cities too? I don't think it's that simple at all.

A strong but measured response is what President Biden and his advisors are delivering to date and it is hamstringing that large part of the regular Russian Army which has been deployed to invade Ukraine. The Russians are quietly calling up reserves now because the US/European-supplied Ukrainian resistance is killing/wounding Russian troops in droves and is destroying Russian helicopters, armour and transports in very large numbers. Russian logistics are in disarray. Russians are running low on conventional ammo stocks for many war apron systems. The Russian economy is spiraling into recession and soon into depression due to the economic warfare Biden has unleashed upon Russia. To get more deeply involved means direct conflict with Russia which both plays into Putin's hands and also risks spiralling escalation to the kind of war no one who is sane wants to see. Remember Russia has more nuclear weapons than the USA, the UK, France China and Israel combined.

Be well and stay alive.
Evilroddy.
Right. Russia is losing the conventional military war and that would be why Putin would resort to WMD. Knowing that using those weapons would draw Americans into the conflict would stop Putin from using them. If we allow him to use them with no military response we may as well hand him the keys to all of Europe

Last edited:
Right. Russia is losing military wise and that would be why Putin would resort to WMD. Knowing that using those weapons would draw Americans into the conflict would stop Putin from using them. If we allow him to use them with no military response we may as well hand him the keys to all of Europe
CSM:

Putin's Russia can't beat Ukraine and you're worried about a conventional conquest of Europe? I would be more worried about a nuclear war rather than a conventional attack on all of Western Europe. The modern Russian military is puny and far weaker than the old Soviet Red Army. The only legacy of old Soviet power is Russia's nuclear and strategic rocketry arsenals. Those are what you have to worry about, not T-72s, T-90s and BMPs/BMDs reaching the North German Plain and then the English Channel and the Bay of Biscay. Russia is a conventional war pipsqueak but the #1 nuclear powerhouse on this Earth.

That's what really worries me. Putin only has a limited number of military choices open to him and they all seem to escalate towards thermonuclear war.

Be well and survive.
Evilroddy.

Strong economic measures as in sanctions. How’d that work out? Did Putin not invade Ukraine?
He could have said walk in because I have destroyed NATO unity as we agreed

CSM:

Putin's Russia can't beat Ukraine and you're worried about a conventional conquest of Europe? I would be more worried about a nuclear war rather than a conventional attack on all of Western Europe. The modern Russian military is puny and far weaker than the old Soviet Red Army. The only legacy of old Soviet power is Russia's nuclear and strategic rocketry arsenals. Those are what you have to worry about, not T-72s, T-90s and BMPs/BMDs reaching the North German Plain and then the English Channel and the Bay of Biscay. Russia is a conventional war pipsqueak but the #1 nuclear powerhouse on this Earth.

That's what really worries me. Putin only has a limited number of military choices open to him and they all seem to escalate towards thermonuclear war.

Be well and survive.
Evilroddy.
You actually agree with me but won’t admit it. Putin will likely resort to WMD in Ukraine as he loses in conventional warfare. Only hope to stop him is to make it clear if he uses WMD he will also face American military might. This would force him to negotiate instead of escalate.

That is not how the question and answer went. You're adding stuff.
The OP is about Bidens response to the question of what he’d do if Russia used WMD in Ukraine. He basically punted.

jesus, let's just thank (the alleged) god that we have responsible adults in the White House at this moment in time.

Just SCARY AS HELL to think about where things could stand right now if that reckless orange maniac and his corrupt, pathetic band of republican yes men were still in there... 😨
Yeah, I don't even like think about it.

Another weak response by Biden much like his "minor incursion" remark that emboldened Putin before he ultimately invaded. Now he makes the same mistake and gives Putin incentive to use WMD. We couldn't have a worse president at this extremely critical point in his and Putin will likely use WMD very soon because of it. Biden being president of America is "very scary".

"We will respond if he uses it,” Biden said, referring to Russian President Vladimir Putin. “The nature of the response depends on the nature of the use.”

"Russia has a long track record of accusing others of what they are either already doing or about to do, and that is the kind of projection that we’ve seen in the last couple of weeks. And it’s very scary,” Biden said in an interview Tuesday."

Do you believe the President should reveal in detail what our military response would be?

Unfortunately it’s come to this point due to Biden’s weak response as Putin massed troops on Ukraine borders. This is what weakness leads to.
Those troops were massed in Russia. Now you want America to tell other sovereign countries what they can do inside their own borders? Brilliant! (for a warmonger)

Those troops were massed in Russia. Now you want America to tell other sovereign countries what they can do inside their own borders? Brilliant! (for a warmonger)
Biden rightly said they were positioning for an invasion of Ukraine. He wrongly thought he could talk them out of it with diplomacy and threats of sanctions.

So what you are saying is, you believe the US position should have ambiguity, yes?
The position that we would have a military response must be made clear. Telling your enemy exactly what that response would be would be like a football team telling their opponents what play they were going to run.

The position that we would have a military response must be made clear. Telling your enemy exactly what that response would be would be like a football team telling their opponents what play they were going to run.

But you want it to be ambiguous, so Russia doesn't know if that response will be a single air strike or full scale nuclear war, prompting them to go all in they are going to go at all, yes?

But you want it to be ambiguous, so Russia doesn't know if that response will be a single air strike or full scale nuclear war, prompting them to go all in they are going to go at all, yes?
I wouldn’t want Russia to know what and where we would target in Ukraine.

No but he should say there would be a military response.

Seems to me that is what he said if chemical weapons are used.

You seem to want Biden to say we will use military force. If he did, you would then complain that he said there would be no troops on the ground. Then you would complain that he is not specific enough and want to know what type of forces would be used.

Bottom line, no matter what Biden says you will not be satisfied.

Last edited:
You actually agree with me but won’t admit it. Putin will likely resort to WMD in Ukraine as he loses in conventional warfare. Only hope to stop him is to make it clear if he uses WMD he will also face American military might. This would force him to negotiate instead of escalate.
CSM:

No, I respectfully do not agree with you. I think that the slow hemorrhaging of the Russian armed forces in Ukraine coupled with the economic warfare of the West against the Russian state and its economy is the best option for Ukraine, Western and Central Europe and the world as a whole. I think strategic ambiguity by NATO with regards to the Russo-Ukrainian War coupled with absolute clarity about the NATO frontiers' inviolability is the better policy than yielding the initiative to Putin's Russia by drawing lines which Putin can choose to cross at times when he is most ready to deal with defined pre-stated consequences.

Be well and stay alive.
Evilroddy.

Another weak response by Biden much like his "minor incursion" remark that emboldened Putin before he ultimately invaded. Now he makes the same mistake and gives Putin incentive to use WMD. We couldn't have a worse president at this extremely critical point in his and Putin will likely use WMD very soon because of it. Biden being president of America is "very scary".

"We will respond if he uses it,” Biden said, referring to Russian President Vladimir Putin. “The nature of the response depends on the nature of the use.”

"Russia has a long track record of accusing others of what they are either already doing or about to do, and that is the kind of projection that we’ve seen in the last couple of weeks. And it’s very scary,” Biden said in an interview Tuesday."

What would Trump do? Recommend we stick UV light and bleach up our behinds?

Simple really.
A strong response instead of a weak indecisive response.

No, because then you would be complaining that he started WWIII, and upset that you can’t post anymore because your internet infrastructure is gone.

And if you are upset the price of groceries is high now….

Cut the bellyaching.

Seems to me that is what he said if chemical weapons are used.

You seem to want Biden to say we will use military force. If he did, you would then complain that he said there would be no troops on the ground. Then you would complain that he is not specific enough and want to know what type of forces would be used.

Bottom line, no matter what Biden says you will not be satisfied.
We don’t need boots on the ground to destroy Putin’s army in Ukraine. They are sitting ducks for us with our technology as are the Russian ships anchored in the Baltic. Biden should have made clear that if Putin used WMD we would annihilate his entire Ukraine expedition.

Back
Top Bottom