• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The National Debt Increased by 2 Trillion Dollars Since Trump Took Office

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The U.S. Treasury Dept has just issued this;

The National debt has increased 2 TRILLION dollars since Trump took office 2 years ago. This national debt is going to be a burden on your children and your grandchildren. The national debt now nearing 22 trillion dollars. Are we tired of all this 'winning' yet?

https://ktiv.com/2019/01/03/treasury-department-national-debt-nearing-22-trillion/

Treasury Department: National Debt nearing $22 trillion

(CNN) – The U.S. National Debt has reached a new high.

The Treasury Department released its latest numbers Thursday.

It says at the end of last year the National Debt stood at $21.974 trillion.

That’s more than $2 trillion higher than when President Donald Trump took office.

The debt has bounced up in part because of tax cuts passed at the end of 2017.

And this is during a so-called great economy.

Nothing to use to soften the blow if the the economy turns downward.

And this is during a so-called great economy.

Nothing to use to soften the blow if the the economy turns downward.

Yep, and "if" generally turns out to be "when". Who knew that cutting tax rates and increasing spending would add to the deficit and debt? MAGA indeed.

The National debt has increased 2 TRILLION dollars since Trump took office 2 years ago. This national debt is going to be a burden on your children and your grandchildren. The national debt now nearing 22 trillion dollars. Are we tired of all this 'winning' yet?

https://ktiv.com/2019/01/03/treasury-department-national-debt-nearing-22-trillion/

That’s more than $2 trillion higher than when President Donald Trump took office.

Yes, indeedy! This is how you shift the patrimony of the people to the Elites. Who'd a thunk it? Billionaires wanting more of everything? The 1/10th of 1 percent really needs it. Simple; When the 99.9% have less, the 1/10th of 1% have more. Ain't math great. Yep, you guessed it, MAGA.
/

Donald Trump interview with Bob Woodward and Robert Costa
DT: We’ve got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt.
BW: How long would that take?
DT: I think I could do it fairly quickly, because of the fact the numbers . . . .
BW: What’s fairly quickly?
DT: Well, I would say over a period of eight years. And I’ll tell you why.
BW: Would you ever be open to tax increases as part of that, to solve the problem?
DT: I don’t think I’ll need to. The power is trade. Our deals are so bad.
BW: That would be $2 trillion a year.
DT: No, but I’m renegotiating all of our deals, Bob. The big trade deals that we’re doing so badly on. With China, $505 billion this year in trade. We’re losing with everybody. And a lot of those deals — a lot of people say, how could the politicians be so stupid? It’s not that they’re stupid. It’s that they’re controlled by lobbyists and special interests who want those deals to be made.​

And what happened? In two years the debt went up by $2T, not down by any quantity, and it didn't hold steady.
Anyone and everyone who knew pea turkey squat about the national debt knew from square-one reducing the debt by $19T in 8 years was utter BS, but it was less BS than was allowing himself an eight year time window in which to do it because a president's term in office is four years, not eight. In any case, increasing the debt by $2T in two years is the exact opposition of the direction Trump promised to take the debt.

Let's cut the crap. No one gives two ****s about the national debt, only so they can condemn other people. It's just annoying now.

On January 20, 2009, the national debt was at $10.6 trillion; years later when that president left office it was $19.947 trillion. Trump still has time to catch up......

Let's cut the crap. No one gives two ****s about the national debt, only so they can condemn other people. It's just annoying now.

Damn close... people only give a **** about the national debt when the other party is in charge.

I kind of agree, so let's start spending money - free college, Medicare for all for starters, or we can just expand the ACA subsidies and make healthcare affordable up and down the income ladder.

On January 20, 2009, the national debt was at $10.6 trillion; years later when that president left office it was $19.947 trillion. Trump still has time to catch up......

I’m sorry so if the debt only goes up another 7.5 trillion you will think that a success?

I kind of agree, so let's start spending money - free college, Medicare for all for starters, or we can just expand the ACA subsidies and make healthcare affordable up and down the income ladder.

At least with free college we will be making an investment into Americans unlike wars.

Well, part of the problem is the last $2 Trillion has been during a booming economy, low unemployment, booming stock market, housing market is fine, low interest rates. No reason to run these kinds of deficits, and when we have the next recession, likely this year or next given historical trends (we're already overdue) those numbers get bigger, because we've already done the Keynesian tax cut stimulus to pour fire on an already red hot economy, and boost already record corporate profits.

That above is why I gave up on the GOP long ago and never have looked back. I used to consider myself a fiscal conservative, and was a Republican because of that, but the GOP is fiscally reckless. In fiscal matters, they only have three moves - cut taxes, cut taxes, and cut taxes.

At least with free college we will be making an investment into Americans unlike wars.

Yep, or giving the top 1/10th of 1% more tax cuts, which doesn't do crap for the economy or anything else not benefitting those in the top 1/10th of 1%.

Well he's on track to do so.

We may not care about the debt any longer, but we do care about how we rack up that debt. Why help everyone out when you can give to the top 0.1% and major corporations?

Republicans only gave a damn about saddling their kids and grand-kids with debt when Obama was Prez.. Now? They don't give a crap about their kids and grand-kids.

Funny how that works huh?

I have absolute distrust for central banks, especially the United States bank.

I'm a firm believer that we have one of the most diabolical and ruthless banking corporations in our government and I refer to that banking corporation as the Federal Reserve Board. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. Money has no motherland and when you realize the entire system is easily controlled one way or another by a very few powerful men at the top, you don't need to look any further on where depression and inflation originate.

I agree with JasperL that we are overdue for another banking panic of 20xx but who knows when it'll be. Maybe we'll hit great depression levels and history repeats itself.

In the end though, I still blame devils Bank. :lol:

I assume noone is surprised... This was clear in 2016, including based on Trump's own well-known admissions like this one:

Trump in 2016 said:
I'm the king of debt. I love debt

Let's see, the debt when Obama took office was 10.7 trillion and when he left 20 trillion. Debt service on that debt was 565 BILLION DOLLARS in 2018 so what effect did that have on the deficit you want to blame Trump for?? Seems that the only ones tired of winning are the radicals who keep losing elections with their anti growth, class envy, jealousy, class warfare, gloom and doom rhetoric and personal attacks.

Interesting how people who didn't give a damn about the 9.3 trillion Obama added to the debt are now concerned about what Trump is doing while totally ignoring the Trump proposed budget for 2019 that actually cut spending. This is nothing more than revisionist history and politics of personal destruction promoted by an intellectually and morally bankrupt Democratic Party

Republicans only gave a damn about saddling their kids and grand-kids with debt when Obama was Prez.. Now? They don't give a crap about their kids and grand-kids.

Funny how that works huh?

Please educate yourself on the U.S. Budget and the line items in it. You want to blame Trump for the deficit without giving him the resources to attack it. He proposed a 2019 budget, do you support it? Of course not as you want the issue but not the solution.

All this anger now over Trump's so called deficit without understanding the line items in that budget, It is up 20% over the last Obama budget all due to 4 interest rate hiks and entitlement spending increases none of which were from Trump. Just another anti Trump thread here promoted by those with Trump Derangement Syndrome that totally diverts from reality.

Please educate yourself on the U.S. Budget and the line items in it. You want to blame Trump for the deficit without giving him the resources to attack it. He proposed a 2019 budget, do you support it? Of course not as you want the issue but not the solution.

All this anger now over Trump's so called deficit without understanding the line items in that budget, It is up 20% over the last Obama budget all due to 4 interest rate hiks and entitlement spending increases none of which were from Trump. Just another anti Trump thread here promoted by those with Trump Derangement Syndrome that totally diverts from reality.

Con it is a well known fact that, when it comes to economics, you are one of the most rabid partisans on this site. And because of your rabid partisan politics it blinds you on the true facts about economics, and colors you even being able to fairly read posts here. ..

This reply to me a a perfect example. I didn't even mention Trump, I said Republicans only cared about the debt and deficit when Obama was Prez, but now they don't give a damn about it. And they don't. We haven't heard a peep from any Republican about the debt or the fact that next year even if the economy stays good we'll run a $1 trill deficit.

So please don't go around telling other people to 'educate themselves'. Look in the mirror 1st.

LOL. And you think voting Democratic is the solution?

Con it is a well known fact that, when it comes to economics, you are one of the most rabid partisans on this site. And because of your rabid partisan politics it blinds you on the true facts about economics, and colors you even being able to fairly read posts here. ..

This reply to me a a perfect example. I didn't even mention Trump, I said Republicans only cared about the debt and deficit when Obama was Prez, but now they don't give a damn about it. And they don't. We haven't heard a peep from any Republican about the debt or the fact that next year even if the economy stays good we'll run a $1 trill deficit.

So please don't go around telling other people to 'educate themselves'. Look in the mirror 1st.

Thanks for making my point, your opinion which lacks data is the issue here and in order to blame someone for the debt one has to understand the line items and place blame where it belongs. You refuse to do that. I stand by my point, "Educate yourself" on the budget, on basic economics, civics because it doesn't appear you have a clue on those subjects. You cannot blame Trump for the deficit without a Trump budget approved?

Republicans caring about the deficit only when a Democrat is in the WH is personal opinion backed by nothing other than opinion. Obama added 9.3 trillion to the debt, more than Reagan, GHW and GW Bush combined so where was the outrage then. Trump has his first budget year 2018 and the deficit is up 20% none of which was due to his spending but all due to interest expense and entitlement mandatory cost of living increases. Raising the interest rates 4 times in two years caused that deficit but Trump is blamed for it. You don't see the hypocrisy there?

As for my knowledge of economics, again you make charges that you cannot back up. tell me where I am wrong when I posted official federal data IN CONTEXT?

You think that part time jobs for economic reasons are a successful economic policy because those numbers are included in the employment numbers touted by Obama supporters?

You think a job loss that returns is a new job created?

you think that people keeping more of what they earn hurts the American economy and you and your family?

You think that pro growth economic policies are anti American?

You think you can give a federal income tax cut to people who don't pay federal income taxes?

I am willing to learn where I am wrong but your opinion doesn't prove I am wrong, data will

Maybe that was just to make up for the the national debt falling by $102 billion between 20 January and the end of July 2017.

Thanks for making my point, your opinion which lacks data is the issue here and in order to blame someone for the debt one has to understand the line items and place blame where it belongs. You refuse to do that. I stand by my point, "Educate yourself" on the budget, on basic economics, civics because it doesn't appear you have a clue on those subjects. You cannot blame Trump for the deficit without a Trump budget approved?

Republicans caring about the deficit only when a Democrat is in the WH is personal opinion backed by nothing other than opinion. Obama added 9.3 trillion to the debt, more than Reagan, GHW and GW Bush combined so where was the outrage then. Trump has his first budget year 2018 and the deficit is up 20% none of which was due to his spending but all due to interest expense and entitlement mandatory cost of living increases. Raising the interest rates 4 times in two years caused that deficit but Trump is blamed for it. You don't see the hypocrisy there?

As for my knowledge of economics, again you make charges that you cannot back up. tell me where I am wrong when I posted official federal data IN CONTEXT?

You think that part time jobs for economic reasons are a successful economic policy because those numbers are included in the employment numbers touted by Obama supporters?

You think a job loss that returns is a new job created?

you think that people keeping more of what they earn hurts the American economy and you and your family?

You think that pro growth economic policies are anti American?

You think you can give a federal income tax cut to people who don't pay federal income taxes?

I am willing to learn where I am wrong but your opinion doesn't prove I am wrong, data will

As the OP data (yep actual data, which you claim is super duper important) points out - the national debt is rising by about $1T annually during Trump's watch (much as was happening during Obama's watch) You and many others are trying any (lame?) argument imaginable to proclaim that "Trump" debt as being somehow different. It is not different - it is caused, in the usual way, by deficit spending. Deficit spending occurs for one reason only - annual spending exceeds annual revenue.

Back
Top Bottom